Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
$1M Haul, Then
Killed Tax Hike on
Aug 13, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Sinema Received $1M Haul, Then Killed Tax Hike on Rich Investors
AP: Ariz. Dem saw big influx of cash over last year from private equity firms, hedge fund managers
- Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, the Arizona Democrat who single-handedly thwarted her party's longtime goal of raising taxes on wealthy investors, received nearly $1 million over the past year from private equity professionals, hedge fund managers, and venture capitalists whose taxes would've increased under the plan, per an AP review...
Sinema Put Manchin
in Role of Protecting Bill
Aug 8, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Sinema Put Manchin in Role of Protecting Bill
Differences on taxes were resolved, allowing passage, though it wasn't easy
- Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer negotiated for months on the climate change, health care, and tax legislation that passed the Senate on Sunday. When they finally reached an agreement, they still weren't finished. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema had been left out of the talks, and she...
Schumer Have a
Deal on Big Bill
Aug 5, 2022 2:42 AM CDT
Surprise: Sinema, Schumer Have a Deal on Big Bill
Talks had been expected to drag on for days longer
- Senate Democrats have agreed to eleventh-hour changes to their marquee economic legislation, they announced late Thursday, clearing the major impediment to pushing one of President Joe Biden’s paramount election-year priorities through the chamber in coming days. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., a centrist seen as the pivotal vote in the...
Jul 31, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Sinema Won't Block GOP Changes to Climate Bill
Democrats, including Manchin, worry about winning Arizona senator's vote
- Sen. Joe Manchin isn't sure that his frequent fellow Democratic holdout, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, will support the legislative agreement he struck with their majority leader last week, either. Sinema has made no promises, Axios reports, which has her party worried. Democrats need all of their 50 Senate votes to...
Jul 28, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
After Manchin Surprise, All Eyes on Sinema
Arizona senator is still mum on potential breakthrough for Democrats
- Joe Manchin stunned DC Wednesday by announcing that he had reversed himself and would back Democrats' sweeping spending plan after all. The surprise deal the West Virginia senator struck with Sen. Chuck Schumer has provided Democrats with their "best news" in weeks, notes Politico , because it means the party...
Biden: 'Outrageous Behavior'
From SCOTUS Is 'Destabilizing'
Jun 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Biden: 'Outrageous Behavior' From SCOTUS Is 'Destabilizing'
'We have to codify Roe v. Wade,' he says
- President Biden said Thursday that it was a "mistake" for the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade—and he supports making an exception to the filibuster to deal with it. "We have to codify Roe v. Wade in the law, and the way to do that is...
Just Got a Huge Lift
Mar 25, 2022 10:21 AM CDT
Jackson's Nomination Just Got a Huge Lift
Sen. Joe Manchin, a potential swing vote, confirms his support
- Ketanji Brown Jackson is all but guaranteed to become the first Black woman on the Supreme Court, CNN reports, after Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin threw his support behind her Friday. Axios also says Manchin's move "essentially guarantees" she's in. "After meeting with her, considering her record,...
Social Security Number
Feb 8, 2022 1:52 AM CST
Gawker Obtains Kyrsten Sinema's Social Security Number
'National Review' sees it as a 'threat'
- Kyrsten Sinema is not exactly popular amongst her fellow Democrats right now, and amidst all the controversy she's been stirring up, Gawker used a Freedom of Information Act request to obtain her divorce papers. The Arizona senator met Blake Dain at Brigham Young University in the 1990s; they reportedly...
Sinema's $1.6M Q4 Haul
Is Feeling Some GOP Love
Feb 1, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Sinema's $1.6M Q4 Haul Is Feeling Some GOP Love
Ariz. senator sees donations from Fox News PAC, Republican 'whale' to her campaign, separate PAC
- It's no secret that, after bucking her own party on much of President Biden's agenda, Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema is now bringing in cash from major GOP donors as she gears up for a reelection run in 2024. Now we know just how much, thanks to new Federal...
for Vote on
Jan 22, 2022 3:40 PM CST
Arizona Party Punishes Sinema for Vote on Filibuster
Chairwoman says voting rights are more important than Senate rules
- Three years after becoming a hero to Arizona Democrats for winning a US Senate seat long held by Republicans, Sen. Krysten Sinema was formally censured Saturday by the state party for her part in blocking voting rights legislation. The Arizona Democratic Party's executive committee cited Sinema's vote against...
For Sinema and Manchin,
a Big Question Looms
Jan 20, 2022 10:55 AM CST
For Sinema and Manchin, a Big Question Looms
Will the Democratic party support primary challenges against them in 2024?
- Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin didn't budge on the filibuster—thus dooming voting-rights legislation —and have cemented their roles as perceived fiends among Democrats. Now the big question in regard to the Democratic senators: Will the party try to "primary" them in 2024? Chuck Schumer and other...
Voting Rights Bill Collapses
Jan 20, 2022 1:18 AM CST
Voting Rights Bill Collapses
Manchin, Sinema won't vote to change filibuster rules
- Voting legislation that Democrats and civil rights leaders say is vital to protecting democracy collapsed when two senators refused to join their own party in changing Senate rules to overcome a Republican filibuster after a raw, emotional debate, the AP reports. The outcome Wednesday night was a stinging defeat for...
Sinema Won't Give on Filibuster
Jan 13, 2022 3:34 PM CST
Sinema Won't Give on Filibuster
Biden's voting rights push runs into Arizona Democrat's opposition to altering the rule
- Before President Biden could arrive at the Capitol on Thursday to lobby Senate Democrats on changing the filibuster rule and passing voting rights legislation, one of them made clear she'd be no help. Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema delivered the news in a floor speech, the
New York Times
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema
Nov 20, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema Over 'Sexist'
Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Jeanne Shaheen slam paper for focusing on Ariz. senator's clothes
- Kyrsten Sinema has become known for her "penchant for patterns and bold colors" in a Senate chamber that's "still largely buttoned up," as the Hill puts it. That's a problem, though—not the Arizona senator's choice of clothing, but the plethora of headlines about...
Mitt Romney, Kyrsten Sinema
Team Up for Halloween
Oct 28, 2021 3:01 PM CDT
Mitt Romney, Kyrsten Sinema Team Up for Halloween
Their bit has a Ted Lasso theme, but critics aren't amused
- In a day of high stakes in DC , a weird bit of political theater emerged, too. Republican Sen. Mitt Romney dressed up as the soccer-coach character Ted Lasso and paid a visit to Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, reports Deadline . Sinema was dressed as Lasso's boss on the Apple TV...
Oct 23, 2021 3:15 PM CDT
Sinema Wears Thin With Democrats
Arizona senator holds firm in opposing drug price plan, corporate tax increases
- Sen. Kyrsten Sinema's stances on two pieces of President Biden's domestic policy package are causing her fellow Democrats the most headaches: increasing corporate taxes and decreasing prescription drug prices. Both are longstanding priorities of the president's; the increase in the corporate tax is a big part of...
Biden Gets Frank About
Status of Spending Bill
Oct 22, 2021 7:05 AM CDT
Biden Gets Frank About Status of Spending Bill
Manchin, Sanders clashed in closed-door meeting on 'social economy' bill
- According to GovTrack 's 2020 report card, Sens. Joe Manchin and Bernie Sanders are 46 places apart on the politically right-to-left scale, with Manchin at 54 and Sanders at 100. Two senators tell Axios that the men were just as far apart during a heated closed-door meeting on the...
Biden Will Try to Break
Oct 1, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Biden Will Try to Break Logjam Himself
And Bernie Sanders is ticked at two fellow Democratic senators who remain holdouts
- The shutdown has been averted , at least temporarily. Now the focus is solely on whether Democrats can reach a compromise on legislation crucial to President Biden's agenda. Toward that end, Biden himself will travel to Capitol Hill to meet with House Democrats later Friday afternoon, reports the Hill and...
Colbert Uses Willy Wonka
to Explain Congress
Sep 30, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Colbert Uses Willy Wonka to Explain Congress
He sings about 'reconciliation' in a top hat
- Congress is nearing the end of a monumental week , one in which lawmakers are trying to avert a shutdown as they consider two huge pieces of legislation that could decide the fate of President Biden's legislative agenda. Stephen Colbert attempted to explain all this Wednesday night, in particular the...
Biden Betting the Farm
on Manchin, Sinema
Sep 29, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Biden Betting the Farm on Manchin, Sinema
Getting them on board with his $3.5T package is key for infrastructure bill, too
- "Biden bets it all on unlocking the Manchinema puzzle" is Politico's assessment of the fate of the president's $3.5 trillion package to expand the social safety net. CBS News explains why: The bill has zero support from Republicans, meaning it can only pass via a budgetary...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tagovailoa Speaks on His Latest Hard Hit
Trump Reacts to NYT Reporter's New Book: She's a 'Creep'
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Father Attacks Meta After Girl's Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.