Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Stars Came Out for the
Golden Globes. Then COVID Hit
Jan 16, 2023 6:15 AM CST
The Stars Came Out for the Golden Globes. Then COVID Hit
Jamie Lee Curtis, Colin Farrell, others drop out of Critics Choice Awards days after first awards show
- Celebrities came out in droves to celebrate the Golden Globes together on Tuesday, and many of the same stars were set to show up for the Critics Choice Awards on Sunday. Several, however, were forced to drop out of attending the second awards show after they discovered they'd contracted...
Tight-Lipped China Offers
Its COVID Death Numbers
Jan 14, 2023 8:30 AM CST
Tight-Lipped China Offers Its COVID Death Numbers
Claims 60K COVID-tied deaths since early December, insists 'emergency peak' is over
- China on Saturday reported nearly 60,000 deaths in people who had COVID-19 since early December, following complaints it was failing to release data, and said the "emergency peak" of its latest surge appears to have passed. The toll included 5,503 deaths directly due to respiratory failure caused...
WHO Says China Isn't
Sharing Enough COVID Data
Jan 6, 2023 5:15 PM CST
WHO Says China Isn't Sharing Enough COVID Data
Official count doesn't reflect explosion in cases
- As COVID-19 rips through China, other countries and the World Health Organization are calling on its government to share more comprehensive data on the outbreak. Some even say many of the numbers it's reporting are meaningless, the AP reports. Of greatest concern is whether new variants will emerge from...
Doctor Who Claimed
Face Masks Were
Harmful Gets Jail Time
Jan 3, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Doctor Who Claimed Face Masks Were Harmful Gets Jail Time
Physician in Germany hit with nearly 3-year prison sentence after issuing 4K-plus mask exemptions
- A German doctor has been sentenced to two years and nine months in prison for illegally issuing exemptions from wearing masks during the coronavirus pandemic for more than 4,000 people. Public broadcaster SWR reported that a regional court in the southwestern town of Weinheim convicted the doctor late Monday...
'Badly Wounded' Xi Delivers
New Year Message
Jan 2, 2023 6:18 PM CST
'Badly Wounded' Xi Delivers New Year Message
He defends abrupt change in COVID policy
- In the weeks after China abruptly dropped its "zero-COVID" restrictions, Xi Jinping didn't publicly comment on the pandemic as a wave of infections swept the country, but he acknowledged in his New Year's Eve speech that the last three years had taken a heavy toll. "It...
US Says Travelers From
China Need to Show
Negative COVID Test
Dec 28, 2022 6:07 PM CST
US Says Travelers From China Need to Show Negative COVID Test
Officials cite lack of transparency from Beijing on spread of COVID
This story has been updated with new developments
. As China prepares to drop most COVID restrictions for incoming travelers, the US is bringing in new restrictions for travelers from China. Officials announced Wednesday that starting Jan. 5, all air passengers from China, Hong Kong, and Macao will be required to...
China Faces 'Very Hard
Road' in COVID Fight
Dec 23, 2022 3:59 AM CST
China Faces 'Very Hard Road' in COVID Fight
Experts predict up to 2M deaths next year
- Nearly three years after it was first identified in China, the coronavirus is now spreading through the vast country. Experts predict difficult months ahead for its 1.4 billion people. China’s unyielding "zero-COVID" approach, which aimed to isolate all infected people, bought it years to prepare for the...
White House Announces
Winter COVID Plan
Dec 15, 2022 8:26 AM CST
White House Announces Winter COVID Plan
Free home test program is being reinstated
- With COVID cases rising yet again, the federal government is bringing back its program to mail free home test kits on request. "In the absence of Congress providing additional funding for the nation’s COVID-19 response, the Administration has acted with its limited existing funding to add more at-home...
CDC Study Confirms
Long COVID Can Kill You
Dec 14, 2022 12:36 PM CST
CDC Study Confirms Long COVID Can Kill You
0.3% of COVID deaths in first 30 months of pandemic involved long COVID
- Long COVID can kill, or so found what's thought to be the first nationwide study on the subject. The CDC analyzed death certificates in the National Vital Statistics System from the period Jan. 1, 2020, to June 30, 2022, that had a diagnostic code for COVID-19; there were 1,...
Dec 14, 2022 2:44 AM CST
Fauci: Twitter 'Almost a Cesspool of Misinformation'
He addresses Elon Musk's prosecution comment
- Anthony Fauci addressed Elon Musk's Sunday tweets about him, telling CNN commentator David Axelrod in a podcast interview, "I don't respond to him." Fauci continued, "I don’t pay any attention to him because that’s merely a distraction. And if you get drawn into...
COVID Travel Tracker
Dec 12, 2022 7:15 PM CST
China Mothballs COVID Travel Tracker
Hospitals are bracing for surge in cases as restrictions are eased
- After almost three years, China's national COVID-19 people-tracking app is being deactivated. Authorities say the app will be shut down at the end of Monday, the BBC reports. The move, the latest shift away from the country's strict "zero COVID" policy, is being seen as a highly...
Dec 8, 2022 4:29 AM CST
China Relaxes 'Zero COVID' Measures
But the road ahead could be rough
- China began implementing a more relaxed version of its strict "zero COVID" policy on Thursday amid steps to restore normal life, but also trepidation over a possible broader outbreak once controls are eased. The country reported 21,165 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, though it was unclear whether the...
Sours as China Sees
Record COVID Cases
Nov 24, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Economic Outlook Sours as China Sees Record COVID Cases
Country has reported its first COVID deaths in 6 months
- Some three years after the earliest cases of COVID-19 emerged, infections in China have hit a record high and many millions of people are under lockdowns. Some 31,444 new locally acquired infections were reported Wednesday, breaking a record set in April when a surge in cases led to Shanghai...
Girl's Death Increases
Anger at 'Zero COVID' Policy
Nov 17, 2022 4:10 AM CST
Girl's Death Increases Anger at 'Zero COVID' Policy
Infant died after becoming ill in quarantine in central China city
- Chinese authorities faced more public anger Thursday after a second child's death was blamed on overzealous anti-virus enforcement, adding to frustration at controls that have confined millions of people to their homes and sparked fights with health workers. The 4-month-old girl died after suffering vomiting and diarrhea while in...
With Discontent Growing,
China Slightly Eases
Nov 11, 2022 11:31 AM CST
With Discontent Growing, China Slightly Eases COVID Measures
But 'zero COVID' policy isn't changing, authorities say
- Authorities in China said this week that they have no intention of abandoning the country's "zero COVID" policy, but the easing of some measures was announced Friday despite rising case numbers. Quarantine in government facilities for close contacts of infected people will be cut from seven days to...
Patient Heads Home
—After 453 Days
Nov 10, 2022 11:07 AM CST
'Miracle' COVID Patient Heads Home —After 453 Days
Weaymon 'Dub' Crochet, after 15 months in Texas hospitals, says: 'God [gave] me all his angels'
- The average length of a patient's stay in a hospital while being treated for COVID is about a week or so, per CDC stats from April. A Texas man has surpassed that length of time and then some, and his survival is now being hailed as a "miracle....
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just
Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Oct 31, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Park closed indefinitely on Monday, and guests inside can't leave till they show negative COVID test
- An NPR headline from early Monday morning notes that, due to COVID, Shanghai Disney and its adjacent shopping community will be closed indefinitely from Halloween on forward. What that headline fails to mention is that all the visitors at the theme park when officials decided to abruptly close the gates...
One Theory on the Big Jump
in Workers With Disabilities
Oct 26, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
One Theory on the Big Jump in Workers With Disabilities
Fed report suggests long COVID is the driver
- Take a look at Axios' chart of how many disabled Americans are in the US workforce, and you'll see a decade where the number mostly fell between 4 million and 5 million. But since 2020 it's been a steady climb from just below 5 million to 5.73...
China Doubles Down
on Zero-COVID Policies
Oct 21, 2022 4:18 AM CDT
China Doubles Down on Zero-COVID Policies
Citizens had hoped party congress would signal a loosening of harsh policies
- As China’s ruling Communist Party holds a congress this week, many Beijing residents are focused on an issue not on the formal agenda: Will the end of the meeting bring an easing of the at times draconian "zero-COVID" policies that are disrupting lives and the economy? It appears...
University's COVID Study
Causes a Ruckus
Oct 18, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
University's COVID Study Causes a Ruckus
Boston University makes hybrid version in lab, and federal agency is surprised to learn of it
- Researchers at Boston University have a COVID controversy on their hands. As Mass Live reports, scientists there created a hybrid version of the virus in the lab in order to better understand the omicron variant. The experiment resulted in what the university calls inaccurate and sensationalized media coverage—particularly at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.