Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jewish Doctor Fired for
Anti-Hamas Posts Sues
Nov 24, 2023 2:54 PM CST
Jewish Doctor Fired for Anti-Hamas Posts Sues
Dr. Benjamin Neel accuses NYU Langone of wrongful termination, religious discrimination
- Pilots , journalists , professors , and doctors have been fired or otherwise disciplined for comments supporting and condemning Israel's offensive in Gaza, and now, in what will add to a nationwide debate over what's considered protected speech amid the Israel-Hamas war, one doctor is suing in response. Dr. Benjamin...
IDF: Here's Proof
of Hamas Tunnels
Nov 20, 2023 7:25 AM CST
IDF: Here's Proof of Hamas Tunnels Under Hospital
Israel says footage of shaft, tunnel is evidence of complex Hamas tunnel network under Gaza facility
- The world wanted evidence, and Israel now says it has it. On Sunday, the IDF said in a statement that it had discovered a tunnel underneath Gaza's Shifa Hospital, proof that the militant group was using the hospital as a command center. The IDF had long insisted that was...
Gunman Opens Fire in Hospital
Lobby, Killing Security Guard
Nov 18, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Gunman Opens Fire in Hospital Lobby, Killing Security Guard
State trooper then killed gunman at Concord's New Hampshire Hospital, a psychiatric facility
- Two people are dead after a shooting at a New Hampshire psychiatric hospital, including the gunman, according to authorities. Per the
, the shooting took place around 3:30pm ET on Friday in the lobby of Concord's New Hampshire Hospital, with state police reporting that the gunman was...
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage
Found Near Gaza Hospital
Nov 17, 2023 7:22 AM CST
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage Found Near Gaza Hospital
Israeli authorities say body of 19-year-old Noa Marciano was discovered
- Israel Defense Forces troops in Gaza say they've found the body of yet another hostage taken during the deadly Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel, reports the BBC . The Daily Beast identifies this hostage as 19-year-old Noa Marciano, whose body "was found and extracted by IDF troops adjacent...
Most Hospital ERs Aren't
Prepared to Treat Kids
Oct 8, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Most Hospital ERs Aren't Prepared to Treat Kids
A report by the Wall Street Journal found that the consequences have been deadly
- If a trip to the ER with a child isn't scary enough,
Wall Street Journal
now reports that many hospitals are not equipped to treat them properly. In an exclusive investigation, the paper found that only 14% of hospital emergency departments are certified to treat kids or are actually...
Over Ohio Girl
Who Got Abortion
Sep 18, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Indiana AG Sues Hospital Over Ohio Girl Who Got Abortion
Todd Rokita says IU Health violated privacy laws when doctor spoke about case publicly
- Indiana's attorney general has sued the state's largest hospital system, claiming it violated patient privacy laws when a doctor publicly shared the story of an Ohio girl who traveled to Indiana for an abortion. The lawsuit, filed Friday in Indianapolis federal court, marked Attorney General Todd Rokita's...
Arrested at Fundraiser
Aug 12, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Ammon Bundy Arrested at Fundraiser
Anti-government activist has been embroiled in defamation case brought by Idaho hospital
- Ammon Bundy has been arrested in Idaho. KTVB reports that the 47-year-old anti-government extremist was taken into custody Friday night while attending a high school football fundraiser in Emmett. The station has video of an annoyed-looking Bundy being handcuffed and led away by law enforcement. Bundy was arrested on a...
Patients Used Bedsheets as
Ropes in Deadly Hospital Fire
Apr 18, 2023 2:23 PM CDT
Patients Used Bedsheets as Ropes in Deadly Hospital Fire
At least 21 die in Beijing fire
- A fire killed at least 21 people at a hospital in Beijing on Tuesday and forced dozens of people to evacuate, Chinese state media reported. As clouds of black smoke billowed into the sky, people trapped in the multistory building apparently tied bedsheets into makeshift ropes and escaped by climbing...
Hospital Sues Attorney General
Over Demand for Trans Records
Apr 15, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
Hospital Sues Attorney General Over Demand for Trans Records
Kansas City Children's says it's not accused of doing anything wrong
- A Kansas City hospital is suing Missouri Attorney General Andrew Bailey over what it calls his "burdensome" requests for records on gender-affirming care. In a lawsuit filed Friday in Jackson County, attorneys for Children's Mercy Hospital ask a judge to deny Bailey's 54 investigative demands for records...
Nurse Accused of
Apr 13, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
Nurse Accused of Slamming Newborn Into Bassinet
Lawyer says 'exceptional' Long Island nurse would never harm baby
- A Long Island nurse who was recorded allegedly treating a newborn baby roughly was arrested Wednesday and charged with endangering the welfare of a minor. Prosecutors say Amanda Burke, 29, was fired within hours of the alleged incident on Feb. 6 in the neonatal intensive care unit at Good Samaritan...
Prosecutors: 7 Deputies Fatally
Smothered Man in Hospital
Mar 16, 2023 2:26 PM CDT
Prosecutors: 7 Deputies Fatally Smothered Man in Hospital
Deputies in Henrico County, Virginia, are now facing murder charges in death of Irvo Otieno
- Seven Virginia sheriff's deputies are now facing murder charges after authorities say they fatally smothered a physically restrained man in their custody during the intake process at a local hospital. NBC News reports that 28-year-old Irvo Otieno "died of asphyxia due to being smothered to death, thanks to...
They Came In With Paddles to
Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
Nov 29, 2022 10:30 AM CST
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
Family says dad died after fireball caused by defibrillator in Nashville hospital
- A Tennessee woman says her husband died on Thanksgiving after catching fire in a Nashville hospital, and now his family is speaking out to prevent something like this from happening again. Kathy Stark tells WKRN that earlier this month she had her spouse of 35 years, Bobby Ray, brought to...
Suspect in Custody
After 'Active Shooter
Situation' at Hospital
Sep 28, 2022 2:06 PM CDT
Suspect in Custody After 'Active Shooter Situation' at Hospital
At least one person was killed at Little Rock-area facility
- Police in Arkansas say a suspect is in custody and at least one person is dead after reports of an "active shooter situation" at a Little Rock-area hospital. Authorities say officers secured the CHI St. Vincent North hospital in Sherwood after a lockdown Wednesday morning, the
Hundreds of Suits Blame
Injuries on Impaired Surgeon
Jul 30, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Hundreds of Suits Blame Injuries on Impaired Surgeon
Patients say Florida hospital ignored their complaints
- Lucinda Bonk went into surgery in September 2018 optimistic about receiving a new hip. But the procedure took longer than expected; Dr. Richard David Heekin had somehow severely fractured Bonk's thigh bone during the operation, a lawsuit says. He tried to repair it while in surgery, but the 70-year-old...
Mom of Hospital Escapee:
'Terrified for the Community'
Jun 30, 2022 11:52 AM CDT
Mom of Hospital Escapee: 'Terrified for the Community'
Texas man found not guilty by reason of insanity of killing his dad escapes from North Texas hospital
- A Texas man acquitted eight years ago of murdering his father by reason of insanity has fled the hospital where he was being held, and his mom says she's "terrified" for him, their family, and the community at large. "I never, ever imagined that he would ever...
A Boston Hospital Discarded
Their Baby's Remains
Jun 26, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
A Boston Hospital Discarded Their Baby's Remains
Alana Ross and Daniel McCarthy are suing Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- A couple on Thursday sued Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, and as the
New York Times
reports, they aren't after a specific amount of money, but rather want to make sure no one else experiences what they have: their child's body being discarded. Everleigh Victoria McCarthy...
Hospital Shooter Was
Strapped to a Gurney
Jun 15, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Hospital Shooter Was Strapped to a Gurney
She was rapidly disarmed by quick-thinking EMT
- An active shooter strapped to a gurney in a Houston-area hospital could have killed people if she hadn't been disarmed by an EMT, police say. KHOU 11 reports that the woman, who had been taken to the HCA Conroe Hospital Emergency Room for a mental health evaluation, had her...
Doctor, 2 Nurses
Stabbed at LA Hospital
Jun 4, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Doctor, 2 Nurses Stabbed at LA Hospital
Suspect taken into custody after attack at Encino Hospital Medical Center; victims hospitalized
- Chaos unfolded at a Los Angeles hospital Friday after police say a man walked in and stabbed a doctor and two nurses. Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton of the LAPD tells KTLA that the suspect entered Encino Hospital Medical Center shortly before 4pm local time to "seek treatment" after a...
Hospital Worker Arrested
After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
May 23, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Hospital Worker Arrested After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
Person in custody said to be nurse at Birmingham Children's Hospital, suspected of poisoning
- Just hours after an infant died in the ICU at a prominent UK medical center, an arrest has been made. The BBC reports that a 27-year-old health worker was suspended from her job and brought into custody "on suspicion of administering poison with intent to endanger life." ITV...
Bids on This Banksy Art
'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Mar 29, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Bids on This Banksy Art 'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Proceeds from 'CND Soldiers,' which sold for $106K, will all go to Kyiv children's hospital
- An unknown donor has sold off a piece of anti-war Banksy art, with the funds raised from the sale earmarked for Ukraine's largest children's hospital. The BBC reports that the UK artist's "CND Soldiers" was auctioned off for just north of $106,000, which will be...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.