Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
From World Court, a 'Triumph
of International Justice'
Jan 23, 2020 8:37 AM CST
From World Court, a 'Triumph of International Justice'
International Court of Justice orders Myanmar to protect the Rohingya
- It's only the first step to address a lawsuit filed by Gambia accusing Myanmar of genocide, but an International Court of Justice decision this week is being applauded by the former as "a triumph of international justice." Per Reuters , a 17-member panel from the court at the...
Gambia's Big Move Against
Myanmar a 'Clear Message'
Nov 11, 2019 7:43 AM CST
Gambia's Big Move Against Myanmar a 'Clear Message'
Nation files case at ICJ to 'stop Myanmar's genocidal conduct' against Rohingya Muslims
- Gambia filed a case Monday at the United Nations' highest court accusing Myanmar of genocide in its campaign against its Rohingya Muslim minority and asking the International Court of Justice to urgently order measures "to stop Myanmar's genocidal conduct immediately." Gambia filed the case on behalf of...
Beauty Queen: Gambia's
Ex-Dictator Raped Me
Jun 27, 2019 11:31 AM CDT
Beauty Queen: Gambia's Ex-Dictator Raped Me
Fatou 'Toufah' Jallow says sexual assault at hands of Yahya Jammeh happened 4 years ago
- A Gambian beauty pageant winner has accused former dictator Yahya Jammeh of raping her four years ago, the latest allegation of abuses committed by the ex-president now living in exile in Equatorial Guinea. Fatou "Toufah" Jallow, now 23, said she plans to testify later this year before Gambia's...
From Own Country
Jan 23, 2017 12:03 AM CST
Defeated Leader Steals $11.4M From Own Country
Yahya Jammeh leaves Gambia in 'financial distress'
- Defeated Gambian leader Yahya Jammeh flew into exile in Equatorial Guinea over the weekend, giving his country's political crisis a peaceful end but apparently taking much of the country's wealth with him. A spokesman for President Adama Barrow says it appears Jammeh, who ruled the West African nation...
Defeated Gambian Leader
Agrees to Give Up Power
Jan 21, 2017 5:20 AM CST
Defeated Gambian Leader Agrees to Give Up Power
Crisis appears headed toward peaceful end
- Gambia's defeated leader Yahya Jammeh announced early Saturday he has decided to relinquish power, after hours of last-ditch talks with regional leaders and the threat by a regional military force to make him leave. "I believe it is not necessary that a single drop of blood be shed,...
Enters Gambia to
Jan 19, 2017 5:40 PM CST
Senegalese Army Enters Gambia to Topple Ex-President
Yahya Jammeh refuses to step down in wake of losing election
- Last month, Adama Barrow won Gambia's presidential election, ending the 22-year rule of dictator Yahya Jammeh. Barrow's inauguration was scheduled for Thursday, but Jammeh has refused to step down. And the opportunity for a peaceful resolution appears to be over. Here's what you need to know:
Dog Kills Son of
Jan 17, 2017 5:24 PM CST
Dog Kills Son of Gambian President-Elect
Adama Barrow was unable to attend funeral due to political unrest
- Due to political turmoil in his country, the president-elect of Gambia was unable to attend his young son's funeral, the BBC reports. Eight-year-old Habibu Barrow was bitten by a dog Sunday and died on the way to the hospital. According to SMBC News , Habibu's death led to an...
He Said He'd Rule
for a Billion Years.
Dec 2, 2016 11:50 AM CST
He Said He'd Rule for a Billion Years. Gambians Voted Him Out
President Yahya Jammeh loses in upset
- Gambia's opposition candidate has defeated longtime ruler Yahya Jammeh—a man who in 2011 said he was prepared to rule for a billion years—in the West African country's presidential vote. It's an upset victory that could lead to the country's first transfer of power in...
3 Countries to
Oct 26, 2016 7:50 AM CDT
3 Countries to Quit International Criminal Court
Gambia says it unfairly targets Africans
- A third African country says it will leave the International Criminal Court as fears grow of a mass pullout from the body that pursues some of the world's worst atrocities. Gambia announced the decision on TV Tuesday, accusing the court of unfairly targeting Africa and calling it the "...
US Vet Tries
Jan 6, 2015 12:11 PM CST
US Vet Tries to Overthrow Gambian President
Papa Faal faces charges for violating the Neutrality Act
- Papa Faal, code name "Fox," is a Gambian and US citizen, married father, ITT Tech instructor, and US veteran. And last month, he allegedly tried and failed to overthrow Gambia President Yahya Jammeh, the Daily Beast reports. Yesterday, Faal, 46, faced Neutrality Act violation charges in a Minnesota...
Gambian Executions Begin, Says Rights Group
Aug 25, 2012 12:43 PM CDT
Gambian Executions Begin, Says Rights Group
9 put to death; dozens may follow: Amnesty
- Gambian leader Yahya Jammeh alarmed human rights activists last week when he vowed to quickly execute all of the nation's prisoners on death row. Amnesty International is now worried that he's started making good on the threat, reports Voice of America . Nine inmates were killed late Thursday, the...
Gambia President Vows to
Kill Everyone on Death Row
Aug 23, 2012 7:50 AM CDT
Gambia President Vows to Kill Everyone on Death Row
Human rights groups horrified at Yahya Jammeh's announcement
- Human rights groups are condemning President Yahya Jammeh for his vow to execute every death row prisoner in Gambia next month, breaking an almost 30-year hiatus on executions in the country. "All those guilty of serious crimes and are condemned will face the full force of the law,"...
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Philadelphia Journalist Shot Dead at Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.