Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In This Nation, Teachers Have
Had It With Abusive Parents
Sep 17, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
In This Nation, Teachers Have Had It With Abusive Parents
South Korean educators stage mass rally for better protection of their rights
- Thousands of South Korean school teachers and staff rallied in Seoul on Saturday for more legal protection from bullying by parents, a rising problem in a country known for its brutally competitive school environments. The weekend demonstrations in the capital city, were triggered by the death of a teacher who...
In China, an Unusual Tactic
to Boost Young Marriage
Sep 2, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
In China, an Unusual Tactic to Boost Young Marriage
One region is bestowing cash for brides under 25
- Officials in one part of China are urging people to get married at a young age, with cash as an incentive. Couples who marry in Zhejiang province's Changshan County when the bride is 25 or younger will receive a $137 cash bonus, the county announced last week, noting the...
Chinese Dissident Planned
Jet Ski Escape for Years
Aug 25, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
Chinese Dissident Planned Jet Ski Escape for Years
Kwon Pyong told friends of his plan to reach South Korea as early as 2019
- The man who fled from China to South Korea on a jet ski last week reportedly planned his escape for years. A friend in the US tells the
New York Times
that Kwon Pyong, a 35-year-old human rights activist critical of Chinese President Xi Jinping, "felt depressed living in...
Launch of Spy Satellite Failed
Again, North Korea Says
Aug 23, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Launch of Spy Satellite Failed Again, North Korea Says
Space agency says it will try again in October
- North Korea said Thursday that its second attempt to launch a spy satellite failed but vowed to make a third attempt in October. The announcement followed a statement by South Korea's military that North Korea had launched a long-range rocket, the AP reports. The North's space agency said...
Chinese Dissident Flees
Country on Jet Ski
Aug 23, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Chinese Dissident Flees Country on Jet Ski
Kwon Pyong, towing spare cans of fuel, traveled nearly 200 miles to South Korea
- As a human rights activist with a history of criticizing Xi Jinping, it's highly unlikely that Kwon Pyong would have been allowed to leave China through normal channels. Instead, fellow activists say, he fled the country in a very unusual way, riding a jet ski for almost 200 miles...
US, Japan, and South Korea
Agree to Consult in Crisis
Aug 18, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
US, Japan, and South Korea Agree to Consult in Crisis
Nations also expand economic ties in Camp David meeting
- President Biden and the leaders of Japan and South Korea agreed Friday to expand security and economic ties at a historic summit at the presidential retreat of Camp David. Their meeting comes at a time when the three countries are on an increasingly tense ledge in their relations with China...
'Something Special' Is About
to Go Down at Camp David
Aug 18, 2023 8:23 AM CDT
'Something Special' Is About to Go Down at Camp David
In rare summit at Maryland retreat, President Biden, Japan PM, South Korean president to meet
- On Friday, President Biden will host a summit at Camp David with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida and South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol, "bridging generations of friction between the two Asian powers to forge mutual security arrangements in the face of an increasingly assertive China," reports the...
Is in the
Aug 8, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Another K-Pop Star Is in the Army Now
BTS' Suga begins his mandatory military service in South Korea
- A third member of K-pop group BTS has begun his compulsory military service in South Korea. Following the enlistment of Jin, the group's eldest member, in December, a second member, J-Hope, followed suit in April. Now it's Suga's turn, the AP reports. "We would like to...
World Scout Jamboree
Just Got More Disastrous
Aug 7, 2023 10:54 AM CDT
World Scout Jamboree Just Got More Disastrous
After hundreds were sickened by intense heat, 36K kids will be evacuated ahead of a tropical storm
- South Korea will evacuate tens of thousands of scouts by bus from a coastal jamboree site as Tropical Storm Khanun looms, officials said Monday. As the AP reports, more than 1,000 vehicles will be used starting Tuesday morning to move 36,000 scouts—mostly teenagers—from the World Scout...
Heat Sickens Hundreds
at World Scout Jamboree
Aug 4, 2023 9:34 AM CDT
Heat Sickens Hundreds at World Scout Jamboree
12-day event is being held in 'vast treeless area' in South Korea
- The first World Scout Jamboree since the pandemic is being held amid South Korea's hottest summer in years—and the on-site hospital has been very busy. The
reports that 138 people were treated for heat-related illness on Thursday alone, bringing the total to more than 700 in the...
14 Injured in
Aug 3, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
14 Injured in South Korea Stabbing Rampage
Attacker drove car onto sidewalk in Seoul suburb before stabbing shoppers
- A man rammed a car onto a sidewalk Thursday in South Korea, then stepped out of the vehicle and began stabbing people at a shopping mall. Authorities said at least 14 people were wounded in the country's second mass stabbing in less than a month, the AP reports. At...
US Soldier Reportedly Crossed
Into North Korea on Purpose
Jul 18, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
US Soldier Reportedly Crossed Into North Korea on Purpose
Unidentified person, who was on a tour of the DMZ at the time, has been detained
Updated throughout with new information.
The US has a new diplomatic incident brewing with North Korea: The UN tweeted Tuesday that a US national crossed the border into North Korea on Tuesday and is now detained. The person was on an organized tour of the Joint Security Area at the...
13 Die in South Korea
as Tunnel Floods in Minutes
Jul 17, 2023 9:42 AM CDT
13 Die in South Korea as Tunnel Floods in Minutes
Rescuers have saved 9 who were trapped in underground roadway
- Heavy downpours lashed South Korea for a ninth day on Monday as rescuers struggled to search for survivors in landslides, buckled homes, and swamped vehicles in the most destructive storm to hit the country this year. At least 40 people have died, reports the AP , 34 others are injured, and...
North Korea's Failed
Spy Satellite Couldn't Really Spy
Jul 5, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
North Korea's Failed Spy Satellite Couldn't Really Spy
US and South Korean experts have analyzed the debris
- In late May, a North Korean rocket carrying its first military reconnaissance satellite crashed shortly after liftoff ; a month later, top North Korean officials vowed to try again to get it aloft, calling the failure a "most serious" one. South Korea now says its analysis of the debris suggests...
In One Country, Everyone
Woke Up Younger Wednesday
Jun 28, 2023 8:27 AM CDT
In One Country, Everyone Woke Up Younger Wednesday
South Korea officially ends its traditional way of determining age
- There's one country on the planet where people woke up younger on Wednesday. A new law took effect in South Korea that has reduced people's ages by one or two years. Historically, a baby born in South Korea was age one at birth and saw another year added...
Climber Got to 72nd Floor
Before He Was Arrested
Jun 12, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Climber Got to 72nd Floor Before He Was Arrested
South Korean authorities arrested British man halfway up world's 5th-tallest building
- A British man was detained after climbing more than halfway up the world’s fifth-tallest skyscraper with only his bare hands on Monday, authorities in Seoul say. More than 90 police and other emergency personnel were dispatched to the 123-story, 1,820-foot-tall Lotte World Tower after the man was spotted...
South Korea Takes a Guess
at Kim's Weight
Jun 1, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
South Korea Takes a Guess at Kim's Weight
North Korean leader is estimated to be nearly 310 pounds, based on AI analysis
- North Korea keeps a tight lid on personal information about Kim Jong Un, but a South Korean lawmaker is happy to speculate. Yoo Sang-bum told reporters that an intelligence report by the South estimates Kim now weighs more than 300 pounds and is in all-around bad health, reports Reuters. "...
North Korea Warns Japan:
Spy Satellite Is Going Up
May 30, 2023 1:02 PM CDT
North Korea Warns Japan: Spy Satellite Is Going Up
Pyongyang says it's 'indispensable' to monitor 'reckless' US-South Korea military exercises
- North Korea said Tuesday it would launch its first military spy satellite in June and described space-based reconnaissance as crucial for monitoring the United States' "reckless" military exercises with rival South Korea. The statement came a day after North Korea notified Japan's coast guard that it plans to...
Kim Jong Un Has a New Toy
Aimed at US, South Korea
May 17, 2023 10:09 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Has a New Toy Aimed at US, South Korea
Military spy satellite is aimed to stem 'US imperialists and [South] Korean puppet villains'
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un examined a finished military spy satellite, which his country is expected to launch soon, during a visit to his country's aerospace agency, where he described space-based reconnaissance as crucial for countering the US and South Korea. As the AP reports, Kim during Tuesday'...
South Korean Message
Apr 27, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Congress Cheers South Korean Message
Yoon Suk Yeol addresses alliance, 'American heroes' of the Korean War
- South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol urged ever more strengthening of the US-led security alliance against nuclear-armed North Korea on Thursday, drawing cheers from Congress as he saluted the "great American heroes" who helped preserve his country's democracy in the Korean War. Democratic and Republican lawmakers rose to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Fetterman Takes On Senate Dress-Code Fury With Boebert Jab
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
A Day Into Military Assault, Victory Is Declared
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
Family of 4 Shot Dead in Illinois, Along With Their Dogs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.