Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Aurora theater massacre
Stories 1 - 20 |
First, Gunfire at a Colo. Church.
Then, at a Va. Hookah Lounge
Feb 5, 2022 8:15 AM CST
First, Gunfire at a Colo. Church. Then, at a Va. Hookah Lounge
2 are dead, 6 injured after unrelated shootings Friday night
- Two separate shootings 1,500 miles apart, in towns that have already experienced grim mass shootings, have left two dead and at least six injured. The first incident happened earlier in the evening Friday, shortly after 8pm, at the Iglesia Faro De Luz Church in Aurora, Colo., reports Denver7 . When...
Sep 25, 2019 4:17 AM CDT
Relatives of Aurora Victims 'Horrified' by
'such unnecessary violence ... chilled me to my bones,' says one victim's mom
- Relatives of some of the 12 people killed in a mass shooting during a Batman movie in 2012 say they found the trailer for the new
movie disturbing—and they have asked Warner Bros. to help gun control causes. Sandy Phillips, whose daughter, Jessica Ghawi, was killed in the...
After 2-Year Mystery,
Sep 28, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
After 2-Year Mystery, Location of Colo. Theater Shooter Revealed
James Holmes is being held at federal prison in Pennsylvania
- Aurora theater shooter James Holmes is being held at a high-security federal prison in Pennsylvania, the Colorado Department of Corrections has announced following a nearly two-year effort by victims and family members to get the information. Months after Holmes was assaulted in October 2015, he was moved from Colorado State...
Boycott Urged After
Theater Seeks $700K
From Shooting Victims
Jul 2, 2016 1:49 PM CDT
Boycott Urged After Theater Seeks $700K From Shooting Victims
'Don't add to their $194 million profit while they come after Aurora victims'
- Calls for a boycott of Cinemark are gaining steam after it was revealed this week that the country's third-largest theater chain was seeking to recoup $700,000 in legal fees from the victims of the deadly Colorado movie theater shooting, the
reports. “Please boycott Cinemark," tweets...
Theater Wants $700K
From Aurora Shooting Victims
Jun 30, 2016 12:50 PM CDT
Theater Wants $700K From Aurora Shooting Victims
Cinemark is seeking to recoup legal fees after winning a civil suit
- Cinemark, owner of the Aurora Century 16 movie theater where 12 people were killed in a 2012 mass shooting, is seeking nearly $700,000 in legal fees from victims and their families, Deadline reports. According to the
, more than two-dozen survivors and parents of those killed sued the...
May 19, 2016 2:21 PM CDT
Jury Rules Aurora Theater Didn't Need Armed Guards
Cinemark won't have to pay victims of the 2012 mass shooting
- One of the nation's largest movie chains will not have to pay the victims of the 2012 Colorado movie theater shooting after a jury ruled in its favor Thursday, CBS Denver reports. According to the
, 28 plaintiffs comprised of victims wounded in the shooting and the families...
Ordered to Pay
Dec 4, 2015 12:51 PM CST
James Holmes Ordered to Pay Victims $955K
It's unlikely it'll ever happen, though
- Colorado theater shooter James Holmes has been ordered to pay about $955,000 in restitution to the victims of his 2012 movie theater shooting—money that will never likely be paid by the imprisoned mass killer. District Court Judge Carlos A. Samour made the order Friday. He presided over Holmes'...
Attacked in Prison
Oct 24, 2015 8:58 AM CDT
James Holmes Attacked in Prison
Inmate lunged in hallway, officials say
- James Holmes currently has a cell block to himself in Colorado's highest-security state prison—but he was still assaulted by another inmate. Department of Corrections officials have confirmed to the
that the mass murderer was attacked by inmate Mark "Slim" Daniels in a hallway, who lunged...
Sep 10, 2015 1:48 PM CDT
James Holmes' Booby-Trapped Apartment Revealed
Police found more than 20 explosives and incendiaries rigged to blow
- Evidence released in the wake of James Holmes' sentencing last month gives a shocking look at the deadly booby-traps the 27-year-old Aurora theater shooter had placed around his Colorado apartment. ABC News reports the apartment contained black balls filled with smokeless powder and gasoline; pickle jars containing bullets, thermite, and...
Aug 26, 2015 12:56 PM CDT
Judge Sentences Holmes, Defends 'the System'
Holmes formally sentenced to life in prison
- James Holmes was an angry quitter who gave up on life and turned his hatred into murder and mayhem against innocent victims in a Colorado movie theater, the judge said today before formally sentencing him to life in prison. "It is almost impossible to comprehend how a human being...
Theater Victim's Grandpa: Court Should Go After Juror
Aug 25, 2015 7:22 AM CDT
Theater Victim's Grandpa: Court Should Go After Juror
Friends and family of victims describe grief, heartbreak in court
- The grandfather of a 6-year-old girl killed in the Aurora theater shooting says the holdout juror who spared James Holmes' life may have intended to do so all along. During testimony yesterday, Robert Sullivan suggested the juror had "a moral purpose ... to save (Holmes) from the death sentence" but...
Aug 7, 2015 6:15 PM CDT
Jurors Spare Life of James Holmes
They deliberate 7 hours, fail to agree on death penalty
- Jurors spared the life of James Holmes today: He will be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole instead of execution for his rampage in a Colorado movie theater, reports
. The nine women and three men on the jury deliberated about seven hours over two...
James Holmes Jury
Leaves Death on
Aug 3, 2015 1:49 PM CDT
James Holmes Jury Leaves Death on the Table
Jury reached a decision today in second phase of trial
- The second phase of James Holmes' trial wrapped up today, and there will be a third. The jury decided the Aurora movie theater shooter should face a possible death sentence after considering the "mitigating factors." The
reports that the criminal trial, whose jury selection began in...
Jul 16, 2015 5:24 PM CDT
Guilty: Jurors Convict James Holmes
Next they'll decide on death penalty
- Guilty. Jurors today convicted James Holmes of murder in the 2012 massacre in Aurora, Colorado, that left 12 dead and 70 injured. Now they'll move on to the next phase of the trial to determine whether he will get the death penalty or life in prison, reports NBC News...
Done Trying to
Jul 10, 2015 12:51 PM CDT
Holmes' Lawyers Done Trying to Convince Jury He's Insane
Closing arguments begin Tuesday
- It's all down to the closing arguments now: The defense in the James Holmes trial rested its case today after trying to convince the jury over two weeks that the suspected gunman was insane. They used testimony from two psychiatrists to that effect, countering the opinion of two psychiatrists...
James Holmes: 'My Mind
Was Kind of Falling Apart'
May 30, 2015 6:12 AM CDT
James Holmes: 'My Mind Was Kind of Falling Apart'
Jurors see videotaped interview with psychiatrist
- James Holmes said his "mind was kind of falling apart" and he began to have homicidal thoughts months before he killed 12 people and injured 70 others in a Colorado movie theater, according to a video excerpt presented yesterday at his murder trial. Holmes told a state-appointed psychiatrist in...
May 27, 2015 5:03 AM CDT
Shooter's Diary Finally Opened
Sane or insane? Both sides say diary helps case
- Was James Holmes in the grip of madness when he massacred 12 moviegoers in 2012, or had he coldly planned the rampage for months? Both sides in the
shooter's trial say the gunman's diary helps their case, and on Tuesday, prosecutors entered it into evidence and...
Shooting Trial: Why?
Apr 27, 2015 3:19 AM CDT
Biggest Question in
Shooting Trial: Why?
After 'cocoon,' trial of James Holmes begins today
- The trial of James Holmes begins today, nearly three years after he massacred moviegoers in Aurora, Colo . The case has been in what the
calls "a kind of cocoon " since soon after the 27-year-old killed 12 people and injured 70 others during a midnight showing of...
Parents: 'He Is
Not a Monster'
Dec 19, 2014 11:47 AM CST
James Holmes' Parents: 'He Is Not a Monster'
He's mentally ill and should not be executed, write Robert and Arlene Holmes
- With their son's trial set to start in a month, the parents of suspected Aurora theater shooter James Holmes make a plea for his life in the
today. "He is not a monster," write Robert and Arlene Holmes. "He is a human being gripped...
Have Nearly Tripled
Since '06: FBI
Sep 25, 2014 7:51 AM CDT
Mass Shootings Have Nearly Tripled Since '06: FBI
Most are over before cops arrive, report finds
- Mass shootings really are on the rise, according to a new FBI report. There has been an average of nearly one mass shooting a month in America this century and the rate has risen dramatically in recent years, the report released yesterday says. The agency says it identified a total...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.