Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
James Holmes: 'My Mind
Was Kind of Falling Apart'
May 30, 2015 6:12 AM CDT
James Holmes: 'My Mind Was Kind of Falling Apart'
Jurors see videotaped interview with psychiatrist
- James Holmes said his "mind was kind of falling apart" and he began to have homicidal thoughts months before he killed 12 people and injured 70 others in a Colorado movie theater, according to a video excerpt presented yesterday at his murder trial. Holmes told a state-appointed psychiatrist in...
May 27, 2015 5:03 AM CDT
Shooter's Diary Finally Opened
Sane or insane? Both sides say diary helps case
- Was James Holmes in the grip of madness when he massacred 12 moviegoers in 2012, or had he coldly planned the rampage for months? Both sides in the
shooter's trial say the gunman's diary helps their case, and on Tuesday, prosecutors entered it into evidence and...
Shooting Trial: Why?
Apr 27, 2015 3:19 AM CDT
Biggest Question in
Shooting Trial: Why?
After 'cocoon,' trial of James Holmes begins today
- The trial of James Holmes begins today, nearly three years after he massacred moviegoers in Aurora, Colo . The case has been in what the
calls "a kind of cocoon " since soon after the 27-year-old killed 12 people and injured 70 others during a midnight showing of...
Parents: 'He Is
Not a Monster'
Dec 19, 2014 11:47 AM CST
James Holmes' Parents: 'He Is Not a Monster'
He's mentally ill and should not be executed, write Robert and Arlene Holmes
- With their son's trial set to start in a month, the parents of suspected Aurora theater shooter James Holmes make a plea for his life in the
today. "He is not a monster," write Robert and Arlene Holmes. "He is a human being gripped...
Aurora Victim's Parents
Go After Ammo Suppliers
Sep 17, 2014 7:22 AM CDT
Aurora Victim's Parents Go After Ammo Suppliers
Suit: They 'negligently, unlawfully' sold items to James Holmes
- James Holmes is a "patently dangerous homicidal man" who should never have been able to buy thousands of rounds of ammunition, tear gas, and body armor, argues a suit filed yesterday against four companies that supplied the accused Aurora, Colo., movie theater shooter with those items. The suit was...
Apr 15, 2014 2:07 AM CDT
Limbaugh: Clinton Staged Shoe-Throwing
Suspect disrupted Holmes hearing in 2012
- Is Hillary Clinton gearing up for a White House run by having stooges chuck shoes at her? That appears to be Rush Limbaugh's theory: He told listeners yesterday that he has "people telling me her reaction wasn’t natural," Politico reports. He explained that he found it...
Oct 16, 2013 7:30 AM CDT
Big Debate: Is Holmes' 'Smirk' Evidence?
Prosecutors say it shows he was happy with massacre
- When a handcuffed James Holmes was asked by one cop whether he had acted alone in the Aurora theater shooting that had ended only minutes before, Holmes said nothing but gave what the officer yesterday described as "a self-satisfying offensive smirk." A prosecutor at Holmes' hearing argued that...
Lawyers: He Was
Jul 11, 2013 1:34 AM CDT
James Holmes' Lawyers: He Was Aurora Gunman
But he was suffering from a 'psychotic episode'
- For the first time, James Holmes' lawyers have acknowledged that he was the gunman in the Aurora theater massacre. But he "suffers from a severe mental illness and was in the throes of a psychotic episode when he committed the acts that resulted in the tragic loss of life...
Will Be Bolted
Down in Court
Jun 28, 2013 7:30 AM CDT
James Holmes Will Be Bolted Down in Court
Aurora shooting suspect to wear harness, cable
- While James Holmes is tried over the Aurora, Colorado massacre, he'll be wearing a harness and a cable attached to the floor, a judge has ruled. Despite defense concerns it could bias the jury, the precaution is necessary because Holmes poses a threat, said Judge Carlos Samour Jr., per...
Jun 4, 2013 12:26 PM CDT
James Holmes Pleads Insanity
Judge accepts plea; mental evaluation to follow
- As expected , accused Aurora theater shooter James Holmes pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity today, and a judge accepted the plea—setting the stage for a mental evaluation that could take months. Holmes' lawyers repeatedly have said he is mentally ill, but they delayed the insanity plea while...
Holmes Judge to
to Insanity Law
May 17, 2013 2:00 AM CDT
Holmes Judge to Hear Challenge to Insanity Law
Defense says it's unconstitutional
- The judge in the Aurora movie theater shooting case will listen to defense lawyers' arguments against the constitutionality of Colorado's insanity defense law, Reuters reports. The law is unconstitutional, lawyers say, because it says James Holmes can't summon mental health experts of his own choosing—rather than court-appointed...
May 7, 2013 4:51 PM CDT
James Holmes to Plead Insane
Attorneys say he'll change to not guilty by reason of insanity
- In a not-so-surprising development, accused Aurora shooter James Holmes plans to use the insanity defense. His attorneys filed papers today saying their client intends to plead not guilty by reason of insanity at a hearing next week, reports the
. If the judge goes along, doctors at a state...
38 Days Before
Apr 5, 2013 7:57 AM CDT
Holmes' Doctor Warned Police 38 Days Before Attack
Court documents offer new insight into case
- James Holmes ' psychiatrist told a police officer Holmes was dangerous 38 days before the Aurora theater massacre, freshly unsealed court documents show. Dr. Lynne Fenton said Holmes was a "danger to the public" and had admitted homicidal thoughts, the
reports. He'd also quit seeing...
Apr 1, 2013 12:06 PM CDT
Colorado Will Seek Death Penalty for Holmes
Plus: Will Fox journalist have to testify?
- Prosecutors in the Aurora shooting case are seeking the death penalty for James Holmes, they announced in court today. Arapahoe County DA George Brauchler addressed the hearing, saying, "It's my determination and my intention that in this case for James Eagan Holmes justice is death." Holmes gave...
Mar 29, 2013 3:50 AM CDT
Aurora DA: Plea Deal 'Extremely Unlikely'
Prosecutors slam what they call a publicity stunt
- Prosecutors have all but nixed James Holmes' reported offer of a guilty plea to dodge the death penalty. They're "extremely unlikely" to accept the proposal without "specific access to information" on Holmes that, so far, his team has refused to provide, they say, per the
Offers to Plead
Guilty to Avoid
Mar 27, 2013 4:08 PM CDT
James Holmes Offers to Plead Guilty to Avoid Death Penalty
Prosecutors haven't decided whether to accept
- It's possible the legal case involving Colorado shooting suspect James Holmes could be wrapped up in a matter of days. His attorneys said today he is willing to plead guilty and take a life sentence without possibility of parole in order to avoid the death penalty, reports the
Not Guilty Plea
for James Holmes
Mar 12, 2013 11:27 AM CDT
Judge Enters Not Guilty Plea for James Holmes
Holmes' attorneys had asked for 2-3 more months to decide plea
- After James Holmes' attorneys said he was not ready to enter a plea this morning, the judge did it for him—not guilty on 166 counts, including the murder of 12 people in an Aurora movie theater last July and attempting to kill 70 others, reports the
Could Be Given
Mar 12, 2013 6:45 AM CDT
James Holmes Could Be Given 'Truth Serum'
Plea due today in Aurora shooting
- James Holmes' plea in the Aurora massacre is due today—and if he pleads insanity at the time of the shooting, he could be administered medication to confirm he's telling the truth. In a so-called "narcoanalytic interview," the defendant could receive inhibition-lowering drugs; these may include sodium...
Widow of Aurora
Jan 15, 2013 5:26 PM CST
Widow of Aurora Victim Sues Holmes' Psychiatrist
He should have been in custody, says lawsuit
- The widow of one of the people killed in the Aurora, Colorado, rampage has sued the psychiatrist of alleged shooter James Holmes, reports the
. The lawsuit argues that the University of Colorado's Lynne Fenton should have had Holmes placed in temporary custody after he spoke of his...
Dad at Aurora Hearing:
'Rot in Hell, Holmes!'
Jan 11, 2013 2:15 PM CST
Dad at Aurora Hearing: 'Rot in Hell, Holmes!'
Holmes arraignment pushed back until March 12
- James Holmes' much-publicized pre-trial hearing series was dramatic to the last. As the judge brought down the gavel to close the proceedings today, the father of one of the victims shouted, "Rot in hell, Holmes!" ABC 7 reports. After a few minutes, the court reconvened to address the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
One Line Explained Feinstein's Role in Gay Rights
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.