Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
A Discovery About
Memory Could Help
the Mentally Ill
Dec 2, 2016 12:24 PM CST
A Discovery About Memory Could Help the Mentally Ill
Scientists have a new view on 'working memory'
- Scientists have a new theory about how the brain processes memories, one that holds the promise—someday—of helping those with depression and other mental illnesses. The study out of the University of Wisconsin focused on working memory, which covers immediate stuff like new phone numbers or where we left...
White House Preparing for
Catastrophic Solar Flares
Oct 30, 2015 5:23 PM CDT
White House Preparing for Catastrophic Solar Flares
'This is a real and present danger'
- If a giant solar flare hit the Earth, it could knock out the entire power grid, meaning no more new Justin Bieber singles, no more televised presidential debates, and no more Facebook photos of babies. But it wouldn't be all good news. The
reports the electromagnetic pulse—...
Our Power Grid
Is Way Too Vulnerable
Jul 13, 2012 1:21 PM CDT
Our Power Grid Is Way Too Vulnerable
Newt Gingrich: 'EMP' attack or natural disaster could be catastrophic
- Newt Gingrich lost power along with countless others in the recent heat wave, and it got him thinking about one of his pet subjects: the vulnerability of the nation's power grid. A massive solar storm could inflict "doomsday-level damage," as could a terror attack. "It is...
Popular on Newser
Musk Kicks Kanye West Off Twitter
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship, Claims Life of Passenger
NYC Job Will Pay Up to $170K, but It's a 'Daunting' One
Cops: Woman Shut Off Roomie's Ventilator Because Sound Bothered Her
Warnock Leads, Obama Mocks, but Walker Stays Close
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.