Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Metal Detector Uncovers a
Bronze Age Treasure Trove
Oct 20, 2023 12:28 PM CDT
Metal Detector Uncovers a Bronze Age Treasure Trove
Jewelry collection comes from Swiss area with few known settlements from that time
- A Swiss man who set out to explore a freshly plowed field with his metal detector stumbled upon what some are speculating are treasures once contained in an ancient jewelry box. From the carrot field in Güttingen, 50 miles northeast of Zurich, Franz Zahn first pulled a bronze disc...
Guy With Metal Detector
Makes 'Find of the
in case you missed it
Sep 10, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Guy With Metal Detector Makes 'Find of the Century'
Erlend Bore of Norway uncovers 1,500-year-old necklace with symbol from Norse mythology
- When doctors told Erlend Bore to get off the couch, he went out and bought his first ever metal detector. The Norwegian had always dreamed of being an archaeologist and figured if he didn't find anything, at least he'd get some exercise. He did get out walking, but...
Old Map, 1930s Tale Spurs
Modern Hunt for Gold
Apr 23, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
Old Map, 1930s Tale Spurs Modern Hunt for Gold
'Los Angeles Times' digs into the fabled treasure of Mount Kokoweef in the Mojave Desert
- It's a great American yarn. Whether there's any actual gold at the heart of it is a whole other matter. Writing for the
Los Angeles Times
, Daniel Miller digs into the legend of a veritable river of gold said to exist somewhere in the caverns beneath Mount Kokoweef...
Ancient Empire's Crown Jewels
Found 'in the Back of a Car'
in case you missed it
Feb 26, 2023 7:20 AM CST
Ancient Empire's Crown Jewels Found 'in the Back of a Car'
Looted antiquities held by English collector Douglas Latchford returned to Cambodia
- The Khmer Empire's crown jewels, held by a suspected antiquities smuggler but largely unknown to experts, have been returned to their homeland. The Cambodian collection, including pieces dating to the seventh century, was once kept by collector Douglas Latchford, an Englishman who spent much of his later life in...
Dig Unearths Find That 'Has
Nudged the Course of History'
Dec 7, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Dig Unearths Find That 'Has Nudged the Course of History'
Medieval grave held gold, jewels, and perhaps one of the first female early Christian leaders in Britain
- On one of the last days of an otherwise unexciting 10-week dig in Britain's Northamptonshire in April, Levente-Bence Balazs spotted teeth. Then the dig leader saw gold. What Balazs, of the Museum of London Archaeology, suspected to be a rubbish pit was, in fact, a grave dating back 1,...
Forrest Fenn's Treasure Is
Being Sold Piece by Piece
Nov 29, 2022 1:14 PM CST
Forrest Fenn's Treasure Is Being Sold Piece by Piece
Much of the haul, sold by finder Jack Stuef to a group of buyers, is now on the auction block
- If you searched in vain for Forrest Fenn's treasure, you can still get your hands on a piece of it. The mass of gold Jack Stuef discovered somewhere in the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming in June 2020, more than a decade after Fenn revealed a trail of clues to...
Lucky Metal Detectorist Will
Soon Learn How Much His
Medieval Ring Is Worth
Nov 21, 2022 7:20 PM CST
Lucky Metal Detectorist Will Soon Learn How Much His Medieval Ring Is Worth
Retiree David Board had only recently taken up the hobby
- Nearly four years after it was unearthed by a lucky metal detectorist—and roughly six centuries after a husband gifted it to his beloved wife in medieval England—a gold ring is set to be auctioned later this month at Noonans Mayfair in London. Per the BBC , the ring was...
Looking for Cake Mixer, He
Got Medieval Relic Instead
Sep 23, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
Looking for Cake Mixer, He Got Medieval Relic Instead
13th-century document bought at Maine estate sale was part of Beauvais Missal in France
- A bargain hunter who went to an estate sale in Maine to find a KitchenAid mixer, a bookshelf, or vintage clothing walked away with a 700-year-old treasure. Instead of a kitchen appliance, Will Sideri stumbled upon a framed document hanging on a wall. It had elaborate script in Latin, along...
Couple Finds Out Home Is
'One Hell of a Piggy Bank'
Sep 3, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Couple Finds Out Home Is 'One Hell of a Piggy Bank'
UK pair discovered 18th-century gold coins worth up to $290K under their kitchen floor
- Home renovations can be nerve-wracking: You never know what you're going to unearth underneath the old plaster and wood as you make way for the new. For a UK couple, their discovery was more shocking than most: a container filled with 18th-century coins that could end up selling at...
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold
Leads to ... a Long Story
Jul 3, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
There are facts, but they may not point to actual lost treasure
- There are some verifiable, undeniable facts in this winding story about an alleged lost hoard of Civil War gold. First there's the document describing it, titled "The Lost Gold Ingot Treasure," in the archives at the Military History Institute in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. It tells of a Union...
Colombia Shares New Pics
of 'Holy Grail' Shipwreck
Jun 8, 2022 8:41 AM CDT
Colombia Shares New Pics of 'Holy Grail' Shipwreck
The navy also revealed the discovery of other shipwrecks in the vicinity
- The wreck of the San José galleon was discovered in 2015 off the coast of Cartagena, and it’s known as the “Holy Grail” of shipwrecks because of the enormous treasure it was carrying when it went down in 1708. This week, Colombian President Iván Duque announced that...
Dumpster Diver Discovers
Major Art Treasure
in case you missed it
Apr 16, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Dumpster Diver Discovers Major Art Treasure
Lucky auto mechanic is now a huge fan of abstract expressionist Francis Hines
- Acting on a tip from a contractor in 2017, auto mechanic Jared Whipple retrieved a bunch of dirt-covered artworks from a dumpster, which was filled with materials from an abandoned barn in nearby Watertown. The haul included hundreds of pieces, including paintings, sculptures, and small drawings. Whipple later learned they...
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is
Caked in Gold and Controversy
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 19, 2022 4:30 PM CST
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is Caked in Gold and Controversy
Colombia moves toward excavation of the San Jose despite disputed claim of ownership
- Colombia's government is taking steps to recover the so-called "holy grail" of Spanish colonial shipwrecks—thought to hold up to $20 billion worth of gold, silver, and precious stones—from its waters and at the same time taking heat from others with claims to the centuries-old treasure. As...
Belonged to One of
the First Christians
Dec 22, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Shipwreck Ring Belonged to One of the First Christians
Ring inscribed with 'Good Shepherd' among Roman-era treasures found off Israel
- A gold ring belonging to one of the first Christians is among the treasures pulled from a Roman-era shipwreck off Israel, researchers say. Also discovered in the wreck off the ancient port of Caesarea is a bronze eagle figurine, bells meant to keep evil spirits at bay, various pottery, and...
It 'Looked So New,' He Couldn't
Believe It Was Ancient Treasure
May 2, 2021 2:12 PM CDT
It 'Looked So New,' He Couldn't Believe It Was Ancient Treasure
Bronze Age trove likely left as offering in Swedish forest
- A treasure trove of jewelry and other goods likely belonging to one or more high-status women was once intentionally left in a forest in what is now western Sweden. It only took 2,500 years to find it. Cartographer Thomas Karlsson was surveying the forest near the town of Alingsas...
There's $20K Hidden
Somewhere in Maine
Apr 11, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
There's $20K Hidden Somewhere in Maine
Some playing cards will help you find it
- A pair of Mainers have hidden $20,000 somewhere in the state and they're inviting treasure seekers to come and get it. The creators of the treasure hunt and the company behind the hunt, Dirigo Treasures LLC, are Kurt and Kelly Stokes of Newcastle, the
Lincoln County News
FBI May Have Been
Digging for Lost Gold
Mar 8, 2021 6:55 PM CST
FBI May Have Been Digging for Lost Gold
Official line is that no treasure was found, but not everyone is so sure
- Go for the gold? The US government went for it. FBI agents were looking for an extremely valuable cache of fabled Civil War-era gold—possibly tons of it—when they excavated a remote woodland site in Pennsylvania three years ago this month, according to government emails and other recently released...
Treasure Hunters Say FBI
Cheating Them Out of Old Gold
Jan 29, 2021 10:14 AM CST
Treasure Hunters Say FBI Cheating Them Out of Old Gold
Lawyer is pushing to unseal records following 2018 dig in Pennsylvania
- A lawyer says he's one step closer to uncovering the truth about a legendary treasure of Civil War gold said to have been lost in the Pennsylvania wilderness, reports Penn Live . The FBI excavated a site in Elk State Forest in 2018, acting on a tip from treasure hunting...
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in
National Park Isn't Ending Well
Jan 6, 2021 7:24 AM CST
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in National Park Isn't Ending Well
Rodrick Dow Craythorn pleads guilty to digging up Yellowstone cemetery for Forrest Fenn prize
- A man accused of digging up a Yellowstone National Park cemetery in his search for a famous buried treasure has admitted to his crimes. The
New York Times
reports that, nearly four months after he was indicted by a federal grand jury, 52-year-old Rodrick Dow Craythorn of Utah entered a...
Feds: Man Spent 8 Months in
Cemetery Digging for Treasure
Oct 23, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
Feds: Man Spent 8 Months in Cemetery Digging for Treasure
Now Rodrick Dow Craythorn has been indicted after his alleged search for Forrest Fenn booty
- We still don't know who found Forrest Fenn's famous treasure in Wyoming's Rocky Mountains, but it apparently wasn't Rodrick Dow Craythorn. What Craythorn got instead, per NBC News : a federal grand jury indictment for allegedly digging in a Yellowstone National Park cemetery searching for the long-elusive...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.