Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Isn't Seeking
Jul 17, 2020 8:45 AM CDT
Amash Says He Isn't Seeking Reelection
Ex-Republican is the only Libertarian in Congress
- The first and only Libertarian lawmaker in Congress isn't going to seek reelection. Rep. Justin Amash, who ditched the Republican Party last year and officially became a Libertarian in April, confirmed Thursday night that he will not be seeking another term representing Michigan's 3rd District, the
Rep. Amash: I've Decided
About My Third-Party Run
May 16, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Rep. Amash: I've Decided About My Third-Party Run
The independent from Michigan says it's not the right time
- Sorry, libertarians—Rep. Justin Amash says he's no longer running for president. The political independent from Michigan announced Saturday he's dropping his third-party bid "after much reflection," calling the decision "difficult" and saying that "circumstances don't lend themselves to my success as a...
There's a New
Jan 6, 2020 3:46 AM CST
There's a New Presidential Candidate
Lincoln Chafee is running again, this time as a Libertarian
- Former Democratic presidential candidate Lincoln Chafee has filed to run for president as a Libertarian. The former governor of Rhode Island on Sunday registered the "Lincoln Chafee For President" campaign committee with the Federal Election Commission, the AP reports. A fundraising website linked to the FEC filing states, "...
Justin Amash Could Be
a Huge Problem for Trump
May 21, 2019 7:31 AM CDT
Justin Amash Could Be a Huge Problem for Trump
He's rumored to be planning a run as a Libertarian
- Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan isn't likely to win any popularity contests among his fellow Republicans after saying President Trump engaged in "impeachable conduct" —and he may struggle to win the GOP nomination in his district this year. State Rep. Jim Lower says he plans to challenge...
Oct 26, 2016 1:15 PM CDT
Gary Johnson Continues Slide in Polls
Libertarian candidate's numbers started plunging after he didn't make debates
- Gary Johnson has been making a valiant go of it, but the Libertarian Party's candidate for president is starting to see his numbers slip away at the polls—or, as the
puts it, "Gary Johnson is no longer a thing." Politico reports that about half...
Gary Johnson: Don't Forget
About Me, Frustrated Voters
Sep 28, 2016 11:12 AM CDT
Gary Johnson: Don't Forget About Me, Frustrated Voters
Libertarian candidate makes a plea in the 'New York Times'
- If, like Gary Johnson, you find yourself in a state of perpetual disgust over this year's presidential campaign, he has a suggestion: Vote for Gary Johnson. In an op-ed in the
New York Times
, the Libertarian candidate makes the case that America itself isn't out of whack, only...
What Aleppo Is
Sep 8, 2016 9:43 AM CDT
Gary Johnson Doesn't Know What Aleppo Is
- The city of Aleppo has long been at the center of Syria's civil war—most recently in claims that the Syrian regime dropped chlorine gas bombs on its own people—so one might think presidential candidates would be pretty familiar with it. Not Gary Johnson. "What would you...
Major Va. Paper Endorses
Sep 5, 2016 1:26 AM CDT
Major Va. Paper Endorses 3rd-Party Candidate
Gary Johnson gets the nod from Times-Dispatch
, which has been endorsing Republican presidential candidates since at least 1980, thinks its readers should avoid both major parties this time around. "Neither Donald Trump nor Hillary Clinton meets the fundamental moral and professional standards we have every right to expect of an American president, the...
May 29, 2016 1:01 PM CDT
Libertarians Pick Their Nominee
2012 nominee Gary Johnson gets another shot as third-party candidate
- The Libertarian Party has nominated former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson as its presidential candidate, and if his name rings a bell, that's because he was the party's nominee in 2012, reports the AP . Delegates to the party's convention in Orlando on Sunday picked Johnson on the...
Meet the Guy With
May 25, 2016 3:03 PM CDT
Meet the Guy With Surprising Poll Numbers Against Clinton, Trump
Libertarian Gary Johnson nabbed 10% in 2 recent matchups
- There's a guy who's "having a good day" and emerging with surprising poll numbers against Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, but he's someone FiveThirtyEight says is easy to confuse with "that plumber who fixed your running toilet last month or your spouse's weird friend...
Matalin: I'm Now
May 6, 2016 8:19 AM CDT
GOP Pundit Matalin: I'm Now a Registered Libertarian
She swears it has nothing to do with Trump
- One of the staunchest longtime Republicans, known for her party strategizing and punditry, has switched teams, the
New York Times
reports. Mary Matalin turned in her Republican registration for a Libertarian one, she announced Thursday, though she insisted to a skeptical Bloomberg Politics panel in an interview that her seemingly...
Welcome to the
Jan 6, 2016 1:40 PM CST
Welcome to the POTUS Race, Gary Johnson
Libertarian and ex-NM governor throws his hat in the ring
- In a move Gawker says will "[render] Rand Paul even more irrelevant," former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson announced Wednesday he's running for president. "I want to take this opportunity to announce my candidacy for president; I am hoping to get the Libertarian nomination," Johnson...
A Pizza Delivery
Jul 7, 2014 11:37 AM CDT
A Pizza Delivery Guy Could Upend NC's Senate Race
Libertarian Sean Haugh getting strong poll numbers
- Sean Haugh delivers pizza for a living, but he could tip the balance of the North Carolina Senate race, and with it, perhaps, the Senate itself. Haugh is running as the Libertarian candidate, mostly through YouTube videos in which he sips craft beer and offers plainspoken opinions, shot by former...
Debate in Chicago
Oct 24, 2012 1:33 AM CDT
3rd-Party Candidates Debate in Chicago
Johnson, Stein, Anderson, Goode offer alternative platforms
- Four longshot candidates for president debated in Chicago last night, and they found plenty to agree on. Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, Green Party candidate Jill Stein, Constitution Party candidate Virgil Goode, and Justice Party candidate Rocky Anderson discussed foreign policy, drug legalization, climate change, and civil rights in the debate...
Oct 17, 2012 11:35 AM CDT
Larry King Moderating 3rd-Party Debate
4 candidates will meet next week
- The third-party presidential candidates snagged a pretty well-known host for their debate next week: Larry King. King will moderate a debate between Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, Green Party candidate Jill Stein, Constitution Party candidate Virgil Goode, and Justice Party candidate Rocky Anderson on Oct. 23 in Chicago, the
Dec 28, 2011 12:35 PM CST
Gary Johnson Launches Third-Party Bid
Former NM governor will seek Libertarian nomination
- Gary Johnson formally launched his bid to run for president as the Libertarian candidate today, declaring himself "liberated" and fed up with the "elitist media organizations" that largely ignored his attempt to run as a Republican, reports CNN . "I'm a Libertarian in belief," said the...
Johnson Exits GOP Race
to Run as Libertarian
Dec 21, 2011 4:00 AM CST
Johnson Exits GOP Race to Run as Libertarian
Libertarian Party welcomes former NM gov
- Forgot Gary Johnson was seeking the Republican presidential nomination? You wouldn't be alone—which probably explains why the former New Mexico governor has decided to drop his GOP bid and seek the Libertarian nomination instead, according to Politico . Johnson never made much of an impact on the Republican race—...
Libertarian Party Co-Founder
Dead at 66
Nov 26, 2010 4:53 PM CST
Libertarian Party Co-Founder Dead at 66
David Nolan died unexpectedly at age 66
- Libertarian Party co-founder David F. Nolan died unexpectedly in Arizona after making runs in recent years for the US Senate and House. He was 66. Nolan helped found the party with a group of colleagues at his home in Denver on Dec. 11, 1971. "He not only helped found...
Tea Partiers Stoked
About Legal Pot
Nov 2, 2010 6:58 AM CDT
Tea Partiers Stoked About Legal Pot
Libertarianism trumping Reagan-era attitudes in California
- Smaller government, lower taxes ... and legal marijuana? Tea Partiers aren't generally associated with toking, but Californians backing Proposition 19 say a surprisingly large share of the movement is planning to vote to legalize pot. Tea Partiers— as well as many Republicans in general —have a strong libertarian streak and...
I Still Might Run
Sep 7, 2010 7:23 PM CDT
Alaska's Murkowski: I Still Might Run
Says she's been besieged by supporters
- "I'm not a quitter," said the famous female Alaska politician. No, not that one . This one, Lisa Murkowski, the senator done in by the other non-quitter. Murkowski, who conceded the GOP primary last week, now tells the AP she's not quitting the Senate race entirely and is exploring...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.