Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
China Looks to Hammer
US for Pelosi's Taiwan Visit
Aug 5, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
China Looks to Hammer US for Pelosi's Taiwan Visit
Chinese missiles land in Japanese waters
- China slapped unspecified sanctions on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her family Friday as retaliation for her visit to Taiwan. China's foreign ministry described her visit to the island as an "egregious provocation," CNBC reports. In a statement, the ministry said the visit "constitutes a gross...
South Korea's President
Accused of Snubbing Pelosi
Aug 4, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
South Korea's President Accused of Snubbing Pelosi
He was on 'staycation' when she visited Seoul
- The office of South Korea's President Yoon Suk Yeol says he didn't meet House Speaker Nancy Pelosi after she arrived in Seoul Wednesday night because he was on vacation—in Seoul. Photos of the leader at a theater performance in the capital Wednesday evening went viral Thursday as...
China Encircles Taiwan
With Massive Military Drills
Aug 4, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
China Encircles Taiwan With Massive Military Drills
Tensions soar after Pelosi departs island
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has departed Taiwan —and China has launched what are believed to be its biggest-ever military drills around the island, which it has long vowed to reunify with the mainland, by force if necessary. For the first time since 1996, China has fired missiles into waters...
Paul Pelosi Pleads
Not Guilty to DUI Charges
Aug 3, 2022 1:57 PM CDT
Paul Pelosi Pleads Not Guilty to DUI Charges
Complaint says House speaker's husband was slurring his words after May crash
- The husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi pleaded not guilty Wednesday to misdemeanor DUI charges related to a May crash in Northern California wine country. Paul Pelosi, 82, did not appear in person at Napa County Superior Court Wednesday. His attorney, Amanda Bevins, entered not guilty pleas on his behalf...
Pelosi Heads Out of Taiwan
Aug 3, 2022 6:24 AM CDT
Pelosi Heads Out of Taiwan
Next stop for the House Speaker is South Korea
- US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi departed Taiwan on Wednesday evening for South Korea after a visit that heightened tensions with China , saying she and other members of Congress in her delegation showed they will not abandon their commitment to the self-governing island. "Today the world faces a choice between...
China Reacts With Fury
to Pelosi's Taiwan Visit
Aug 2, 2022 7:31 PM CDT
China Reacts With Fury to Pelosi's Taiwan Visit
Beijing summons US ambassador
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi became the highest-ranked American lawmaker to visit Taiwan in 25 years Tuesday—and China reacted exactly as expected. Beijing, which considers Taiwan its territory, slammed the move as a "serious violation" after Pelosi arrived in Taipei. The country's foreign ministry summoned Nicholas Burns, the...
Pelosi Explains Reason
for Her Taiwan Visit
Aug 2, 2022 12:18 PM CDT
Pelosi Explains Reason for Her Taiwan Visit
'America’s solidarity with Taiwan is more important today than ever'
- Just minutes after Nancy Pelosi touched down in Taiwan, a piece she wrote for the
went live. Titled "Why I'm leading a congressional delegation to Taiwan," Pelosi quite simply explains that very thing. Some key lines:
"In the face of the Chinese Communist Party’
Nancy Pelosi Defies China's
Warnings, Lands in Taiwan
Aug 2, 2022 9:48 AM CDT
Nancy Pelosi Defies China's Warnings, Lands in Taiwan
The House speaker departed from Malaysia on Tuesday afternoon
- The possible visit that's been buzzed about for days has come to pass. Despite weeks of warnings from China, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday landed in Taiwan, making her the highest ranking US official to visit the island since 1997. The AP reports Pelosi and her delegation arrived...
Report: Nancy Pelosi Is
Going Ahead With Taiwan Trip
Aug 1, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Report: Nancy Pelosi Is Going Ahead With Taiwan Trip
China has warned of 'serious consequences'
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's Asia trip has begun—and according to reports from CNN and the
Wall Street Journal
as well as Taiwanese media, it will include a stop in Taiwan. A source tells the
that people Pelosi plans to meet in Taiwan, including government officials, have been...
Pelosi Begins Asia Trip,
a Big Question Looming
Jul 31, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Pelosi Begins Asia Trip, a Big Question Looming
Will she go to Taiwan? House speaker's itinerary makes no mention of a stop
- Nancy Pelosi begins a trip to Asia on Sunday, but the question on everyone's mind is still unanswered: Will she go to Taiwan? A statement issued by her office on Saturday lists stops in Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, and Japan, but it has no mention of Taiwan, reports the...
China Suggests US
Is 'Playing With Fire'
Jul 28, 2022 3:12 PM CDT
China Suggests US Is 'Playing With Fire'
Biden and Xi Jinping talk by phone
- President Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping talked for more than two hours on the phone Thursday against a backdrop of increasing tension between their nations over several issues. The US said the idea of the call was to calm the hostility more than to achieve anything specific, the
in Case Pelosi
Does Go to
Jul 27, 2022 7:17 AM CDT
Pentagon Prepping in Case Pelosi Does Go to Taiwan
Trip isn't confirmed, but US military is developing plans for any contingency
- US officials say they have little fear that China would attack Nancy Pelosi’s plane if she flies to Taiwan. But the US House speaker would be entering one of the world’s hottest spots, where a mishap, misstep, or misunderstanding could endanger her safety. So the Pentagon is developing...
Wary of Pelosi's
Jul 25, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Both China, White House Wary of Pelosi's Travel Plans
House speaker reportedly will visit Taiwan soon
- Unconfirmed reports that Nancy Pelosi is planning a trip to Taiwan have most definitely caught the attention of China. Authorities in Beijing are making clear through private and public channels they would view such a trip as a provocation, one that would trigger a strong response. However, what "strong"...
Pelosi: Roe Decision Is
'Slap in the Face to Women'
Jun 24, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
Pelosi: Roe Decision Is 'Slap in the Face to Women'
Speaker vows to codify law protecting abortion rights after Supreme Court ruling
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi blasted the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, declaring that "the radical Supreme Court is eviscerating American rights and endangering their health and safety," per the Hill . She added: "What this means to women is such an insult. It's...
Pelosi's Husband Charged
With DUI After Crash
Jun 24, 2022 12:10 AM CDT
Pelosi's Husband Charged With DUI After Crash
Paul Pelosi could spend a short stint behind bars if convicted
Nancy Pelosi's husband could spend a little time behind bars under new charges filed after a car crash last month. The Napa County District Attorney's Office on Thursday charged Paul Pelosi, 82, with driving under the influence of alcohol causing injury and driving with .08% blood alcohol...
Nancy Pelosi's Husband Paul
Arrested for Suspected DUI
May 29, 2022 8:41 PM CDT
Nancy Pelosi's Husband Paul Arrested for Suspected DUI
The Speaker of the House was in Rhode Island at the time
- Paul Pelosi, the 82-year-old husband of Nancy Pelosi, was arrested this weekend on suspicion of DUI in Northern California, police records showed Sunday. Paul Pelosi was taken into custody late Saturday in Napa County north of San Francisco, according to a sheriff's office online booking report cited by the...
Pelosi Sees Some Hypocrisy
in Communion Decision
May 24, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
Pelosi Sees Some Hypocrisy in Communion Decision
She questions why death-penalty supporters aren't denied the Eucharist
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi pushed back Tuesday on the decision by San Francisco's conservative Catholic archbishop to deny her Communion over her support of abortion rights, saying she respects that people have opposing views but not when they impose them on others, reports the AP . In comments made on...
Archbishop to Pelosi:
No More Communion for You
May 21, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
San Francisco's Salvatore Cordileone says House speaker must repudiate support for abortion rights
- The conservative Catholic archbishop of San Francisco said Friday that he'll no longer allow US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to receive Communion because of her support for abortion rights. Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone said he sent Pelosi a letter April 7 expressing his concerns after she vowed to codify the...
Biden Says Nation
Must 'Address the Hate'
May 15, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Biden Says Nation Must 'Address the Hate'
President addresses Buffalo shooting at ceremony for fallen officers
- President Biden on Sunday condemned the mass shooting in Buffalo, calling the killer a "hate-filled soul" while acknowledging the wearying effect of such crimes on the nation. "We must all work together to address the hate that remains a stain on the soul of America," the president...
Takes First Steps on
May 12, 2022 7:17 PM CDT
Administration Takes First Steps on Formula Shortage
Biden meets with companies about increasing supply
- The Biden administration told the nation what it's doing to eliminate the shortage of infant formula on Thursday, but officials had few answers about when their actions will make a difference. Among the efforts that the administration conceded are less than major, President Biden met with representatives of manufacturers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Agent on Rushdie: 'The News Is Not Good'
They Were Enjoying Happy Hour. Then, 'Pure Panic'
Sinema Received $1M Haul, Then Killed Tax Hike on Rich Investors
Tons of Dead Fish in River: 'Most Likely Dealing With a Crime'
FBI List Shows Top Secret Files Were Recovered at Mar-a-Lago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.