Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
1 in 5 US Pregnancies
Ended in Abortion in 2020
Jun 15, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
1 in 5 US Pregnancies Ended in Abortion in 2020
Abortion is on the rise in all regions, even as Supreme Court looks poised to curtail access
- One in five pregnancies in the US in 2020 ended in abortion, according to research group Guttmacher Institute , which campaigns for abortion access and says the impact of a Roe v. Wade reversal will be even more devastating than previously thought. US abortions increased 8% from 2017, when there were...
Millennials, You May Want
to Head to This State
May 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Millennials, You May Want to Head to This State
Washington ranks first in WalletHub's rankings for most appealing places for the 26-41 set
- Whether you call them Generation Y or millennials, the group wedged between Generation X and Generation Z—ie, those born between 1981 and 1996 —has its own particular wants and needs when looking for a place to settle down. WalletHub wanted to figure out the most appealing states for...
Fired for Reading
May 12, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Assistant Principal Fired for Reading
Book Isn't Giving Up
School district upholds Toby Price's termination, but he'll appeal to Mississippi's Chancery Courts
Toby Price remains fired for what his district says was poor judgment in storytime choice. The assistant principal had appealed his termination for reading
I Need a New Butt
to second-graders at Gary Road Elementary School near Jackson, Miss., but on Monday, his legal team let him know the...
Corrections Officer Charged
in Death of Beloved Rooster
Apr 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Corrections Officer Charged in Death of Beloved Rooster
Carl the Rooster once roamed the streets of of downtown Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- A corrections officer in Mississippi has been fired for her alleged role in the death of a town's most beloved rooster. Carl the Rooster was the most well-known bird in a band of chickens that has been roaming downtown Ocean Springs for years, the
reports. After Carl...
NASA: Fireball Over South Was
10 Times Brighter Than Moon
Apr 29, 2022 5:01 AM CDT
NASA: Fireball Over South Was 10 Times Brighter Than Moon
Chunk of asteroid exploded over Louisiana
- NASA has confirmed that a fireball seen over three Southern states this week was a piece of an asteroid around a foot across that exploded 34 miles above a swampy area in Louisiana. The agency says around 30 people in Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana reported sightings. The meteor, which weighed...
'Mother of the Year' Accused of
Attacking Umpire at Kid's Game
Apr 13, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
'Mother of the Year' Accused of Attacking Umpire at Kid's Game
Mississippi woman faces ban from recreational facility
- A woman wore a T-shirt saying "Mother of the Year" to a children's softball game in Laurel, Mississippi, on Saturday night—but her behavior at the game raises some serious concerns about the judging process. Kiara Thomas, mother of one of the 12-year-old players, was arrested and charged...
After Crash, Officers Find
Cop Didn't Have Valid License
Apr 12, 2022 6:49 PM CDT
After Crash, Officers Find Cop Didn't Have Valid License
Mississippi officer charged with DUI had been patrolling for months with expired license
- A police officer who resigned from a Tupelo-area force days after a drunk-driving arrest in 2020 was wearing a different force's uniform when he was arrested for the same offense on Friday night, authorities in Mississippi say. Jonathan Boyd, 32, was arrested in Saltillo by the Mississippi Highway Patrol...
This Is the
State in America
Mar 28, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Louisiana is one big stress ball, according to latest WalletHub rankings
- To say we've collectively and individually been stressed over the past two years is probably an understatement, but the stress levels are higher in some parts of the US than others. WalletHub looked at all 50 states, examining more than three dozen metrics in four categories: stress related to...
Mississippi Enacts Law
on 'Critical Race Theory'
Mar 14, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
Mississippi Enacts Law on 'Critical Race Theory'
Legislation will limit how race can be discussed in schools
: Blaming the "radical left" and the news media for spreading misinformation about "critical race theory," Gov. Tate Reeves signed legislation Monday limiting the teaching of racial issues in schools. "Across the country, we're seeing a full-court press by a vocal minority of well-organized and...
Emmett Till's Relatives:
Reopen the Case
Mar 11, 2022 1:38 PM CST
Emmett Till's Relatives: Reopen the Case
Federal officials closed the investigation last year
Relatives of Emmett Till joined with supporters Friday in asking federal authorities to reverse their decision to close an investigation of his 1955 lynching and instead prosecute a white woman at the center of the case from the very beginning. Relatives said they would present Mississippi authorities with a...
Killer Recaptured After
2nd Escape in 4 Years
Feb 16, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Killer Recaptured After 2nd Escape in 4 Years
Michael Wilson was treated in a hospital under a fake name for injuries from razor wire
: Convicted murderer Michael "Pretty Boy Floyd" Wilson is back behind bars in Mississippi after his second escape in four years. Authorities say the 51-year-old inmate was arrested in Harrison County when a car he had stolen ran out of gas on Tuesday, three days after he escaped from...
Black FedEx Driver: White
Father and Son Shot at Me
Feb 11, 2022 12:52 PM CST
Black FedEx Driver: White Father and Son Shot at Me
D'Monterrio Gibson says Brandon and Gregory Chase fired at his delivery van, chased him out of Mississippi town
- A white father and son are facing criminal charges in Mississippi, accused of shooting at a Black FedEx driver last month while he was working. D'Monterrio Gibson, 24, tells CNN that on the evening of Jan. 24, he was delivering FedEx packages out of a Hertz rental van, complete...
Feb 3, 2022 12:27 AM CST
Mississippi Legalizes Medical Marijuana
Republican governor signs legislation into law
- Mississippi is legalizing medical marijuana for people with debilitating conditions such as cancer, AIDS, and sickle cell disease, the AP reports. Republican Gov. Tate Reeves signed the legislation Wednesday and it became law immediately. It could be months before the first marijuana dispensaries open. “There is no doubt that...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Raise a Family
Jan 10, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Raise a Family
Massachusetts ranks highest in WalletHub's rankings, Mississippi comes in at the bottom
- Finding the best place to settle down and raise a family can prove a tough choice, with different levels of import placed on the various factors in play, depending on who's being asked. WalletHub looked at more than four dozen metrics in five main categories to help ease the...
Police Find Remains After
a Death-Row Confession
Dec 13, 2021 11:41 AM CST
Police Find Remains After a Death-Row Confession
David Neal Cox admitted killing sister-in-law before he was executed in Mississippi
Authorities in Mississippi have found the body of a woman after a death-row inmate confessed just before his execution. David Neal Cox, convicted of murdering his wife, told authorities before he died that he also killed sister-in-law Felicia Cox and told them where to find her body. On Sunday,...
Supreme Court Delivers Blow
to J&J Over Baby Powder
Dec 13, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Supreme Court Delivers Blow to J&J Over Baby Powder
Justices let suit brought by Mississippi over health risks proceed
- The Supreme Court on Monday turned away a request by Johnson & Johnson to halt a Mississippi lawsuit over its talcum powder products, per the AP . As is typical, the high court didn't say anything in turning away the case, which was included in a long list of cases...
The Big Questions SCOTUS
Asked in Big Abortion Case
Dec 1, 2021 11:30 AM CST
The Big Questions SCOTUS Asked in Big Abortion Case
Fate of Roe v. Wade is in their hands, with decision likely in June
- It's one of the biggest days for abortion rights in 50 years. On Wednesday, the most conservative Supreme Court in decades took up the case of Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health, which centers on a Mississippi law that prohibits abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy, which violates Roe....
Man Who Tortured
Family for 8 Hours
Put to Death
Nov 18, 2021 12:10 AM CST
Man Who Tortured Family for 8 Hours Put to Death
David Neal Cox killed his estranged wife and sexually assaulted her daughter
- A man who pleaded guilty to killing his estranged wife and sexually assaulting her young daughter as her mother lay dying was put to death Wednesday evening, becoming the first inmate executed in Mississippi in nine years. David Neal Cox, 50, abandoned all appeals and filed court papers calling himself...
Woman Reaches for Phone
in Purse, Fires Gun Instead
Nov 2, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Woman Reaches for Phone in Purse, Fires Gun Instead
She had a concealed carry permit
- A woman's purse is a multitool. It can be a fashion accessory, a lunch bag, a first aid kit, a storage locker, or an impromptu umbrella for a dash to the door in a downpour—it is definitely not a holster, however. So learned Kashaun Alexsis McRunells of Edwards,...
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Fatally Forgetting His Son in Car, Dad Kills Self
Video: Bison Attacks Family in Yellowstone
Investigators: Face Scratches a Clue to ER Actress's Death
'This Is the Smoking Gun,' Legal Analyst Says
As Testimony Ends, Cheney's Closing Called 'Stunning'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.