Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Police 'Goon Squad'
Gets Its Due
Aug 14, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Police 'Goon Squad' Gets Its Due
Six former Mississippi cops plead guilty (again) to torture of two Black men
- Six white former Mississippi law officers pleaded guilty to state charges on Monday for torturing two Black men in a racist assault. The same six pleaded guilty to federal charges last week. Prosecutors say some of the officers nicknamed themselves the "Goon Squad" because of their willingness to use...
Having a Baby
Aug 7, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Having a Baby Soon? One State Outranks the Others
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- If your future plans include starting a family and you're open to a move (or wondering whether your current location is ideal), WalletHub has some insights. The site looked at all 50 states and the District of Columbia, not only on the issue of costs tied to having a...
6 Mississippi Ex-Cops Plead
Guilty to Torturing Black Men
Aug 4, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
6 Mississippi Ex-Cops Plead Guilty to Torturing Black Men
Some of them face life sentences
- Six former Mississippi law enforcement officers pleaded guilty Thursday to what the local sheriff called "the most horrible incident of police brutality I've learned of over my whole career," and two of them face sentences of up to life in prison. The other four face sentences that...
Boy, 16, Killed in Poultry Plant
Accident in Mississippi
Jul 19, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Boy, 16, Killed in Poultry Plant Accident in Mississippi
Those under 18 are not legally allowed to work at such plants
- A horrific tragedy unfolded last week at a Mississippi poultry plant, where a 16-year-old boy died in an accident on the job. Duvan Tomas Perez arrived in the US from his native Guatemala six years ago, family members say. It's not clear what happened Friday night, but the Forrest...
Texas to Overheated Locals:
Cut Back on Power to Save Grid
Jun 21, 2023 9:07 AM CDT
Texas to Overheated Locals: Cut Back on Power to Save Grid
Other parts of South also suffering from sweltering temps, post-storm power outages
- Texas' power grid operator asked residents Tuesday to voluntarily cut back on electricity due to anticipated record demand on the system, as a heat wave kept large swaths of the state and southern US in triple-digit temperatures. On the last day of spring, the sweltering heat felt more like the...
Get Ready to
Jun 14, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Deep South, Get Ready to Get Walloped
Severe thunderstorms, winds, tornadoes, hail blowing through on Wednesday
- Americans in the Deep South might want to find a nice Yankee cousin to visit for a couple of days, because the weather is looking to be, shall we say, unpleasant? As Weather.com reports, a strong jet stream is ripping through the region starting Wednesday, bringing with it severe...
Boy Shot by
May 30, 2023 12:39 PM CDT
Boy Shot by Cops After Calling 911 Speaks Out
'It felt like a ... big punch to the chest,' Aderrien Murry, 11, says of being shot in Mississippi home
- A Mississippi boy shot by a police officer after he'd called 911 is now speaking out. Aderrien Murry's interview with
Good Morning America
aired Tuesday; in it, the 11-year-old described how it felt to be shot in his Indianola home in the early morning hours of...
Family: Cop Shot
Black Boy 'for No Reason'
May 25, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Family: Cop Shot Black Boy 'for No Reason'
11-year-old Aderrien Murry was shot in chest by Mississippi officer who responded to his call: lawyer
- A Mississippi family is calling for charges against a police officer who they say shot an 11-year-old boy "for no reason." Aderrien Murry's mother asked him to call police around 4am Saturday when a man with whom she's connected showed up at the family's Indianola...
Judge Won't Block Dress Code
for Trans Girl's Graduation
May 20, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Judge Won't Block Dress Code for Trans Girl's Graduation
ACLU filed suit in Mississippi for 17-year-old who wants to wear a dress to ceremony
- A federal judge says he will not block a Mississippi school district from requiring a transgender girl to dress as a boy for high school graduation. US District Judge Taylor McNeel filed his order late Friday after holding a hearing on a lawsuit that the American Civil Liberties Union filed...
Cinco de Mayo Party
Was Rocking. Then, Gunfire
May 6, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Cinco de Mayo Party Was Rocking. Then, Gunfire
One person is dead, 6 injured after shooting Friday at restaurant in Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- One person is dead and at least six other people were shot during a Cinco de Mayo party at a Mississippi restaurant late Friday night, police said. In a release, Ocean Springs Police Capt. Ryan LeMaire confirmed that seven people were shot at The Scratch Kitchen on Government Street, per...
Sheriff: 'All Escapees
Are Accounted for'
May 4, 2023 3:44 PM CDT
Sheriff: 'All Escapees Are Accounted for'
Four inmates broke out of Mississippi jail on April 22
- The last of four prisoners who escaped from a Mississippi prison was found Thursday morning at a home about 20 miles from the prison, the sheriff announced. The Hinds County Sheriff's Office and US Marshals Fugitive Task Force took Corey Harrison, 22, into custody at a Crystal Springs home,...
Police Believe Escaped Inmate
Died in Burning Home
Apr 26, 2023 3:19 PM CDT
Police Believe Escaped Inmate Died in Burning Home
Dylan Arrington was suspect in Monday night murder, carjacking
- An escaped inmate in Mississippi suspected of killing a man and stealing his pickup truck is presumed dead after a standoff and fire at a home in Leake County. Police say fire engulfed the home around two hours after 22-year-old Dylan Arrington barricaded himself inside Wednesday morning, WLBT reports. Hinds...
Escaped Inmate Suspected
of Killing Good Samaritan
Apr 25, 2023 2:27 PM CDT
Escaped Inmate Suspected of Killing Good Samaritan
Police believe Mississippi inmate murdered man, stole his pickup truck
- A man who escaped from a Mississippi jail over the weekend is suspected of killing a man and stealing his pickup truck in Jackson, authorities said Tuesday. Anthony Watts, 61, was shot and killed Monday night around 7pm on Interstate 55 after he pulled over to help a man who...
Now Charged in
Apr 21, 2023 8:57 AM CDT
Ex-WWE Wrestler Now Charged in Favre Scandal
Ted 'Teddy' DiBiase Jr. allegedly received $3M in welfare funds, used to purchase house and boat
- The son of WWE legend The Million Dollar Man is accused of using federal funds meant to help poor children to buy toys for himself. Ted DiBiase Jr., a former pro wrestler himself, was indicted Thursday on charges of wire fraud, theft concerning programs receiving federal funds, and money laundering...
Mississippi Sheriff Pushes
Back on Emmett Till Lawsuit
Apr 20, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Mississippi Sheriff Pushes Back on Emmett Till Lawsuit
Leflore County's Ricky Banks says arrest warrant against Carolyn Bryant Donham is 'moot'
- A Mississippi sheriff at the center of a lawsuit involving the murder of Emmett Till is pushing back on the complaint, which calls for him to serve a decades-old arrest warrant against the wife of one of the men who abducted and killed the Black 14-year-old in 1955. Per the...
She Gave Birth to a Son as
Tornado Killed Her Daughter
Mar 28, 2023 3:28 PM CDT
She Gave Birth to a Son as Tornado Killed Her Daughter
More on Friday night's devastating twister
- A tornado packing winds of up to 200mph wreaked havoc on the towns of Rolling Fork and Silver City, Mississippi, on Friday night, killing at least 21 people . More on the victims and what made this storm particularly deadly:
This Is the Most Stressed
State in America
Mar 28, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Mississippi needs to meditate, per WalletHub, while Minnesota seems to be handling its tension just fine
- Need to squeeze one of those stress balls more than you used to? It could have something to do with where you live. WalletHub looked at all 50 states to see which ones were the most afflicted by anxiety and tension, examining more than three dozen metrics across four main...
an Oyster Problem
Mar 26, 2023 2:25 PM CDT
Mississippi Has an Oyster Problem
State's once-vital industry is collapsing as government efforts to rebuild reefs fail
- Mississippi has a rich history in the oyster industry, but that industry appears to be on the brink of collapse. A story in ProPublica details the steep decline over the last two decades or so, pointing out that the number of companies licensed to process oysters in the state has...
Meteorologist Sees Tornado
Track on Air, Offers a Prayer
Mar 26, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Meteorologist Sees Tornado Track on Air, Offers a Prayer
Matt Laubhan of WTVA in Mississippi has an emotional moment while watching storm
- A meteorologist in Mississippi was on the air Friday night tracking a massive tornado about to touch down when he got a live update on the storm's path. "Oh man," said Matt Laubhan of WTVA, per Fox News . "North side of Amory this is coming in....
Saw Their City
and Homes Vanish
Mar 25, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Tornado Survivors Saw Their City and Homes Vanish
At least 25 people were killed in Mississippi Delta
- "My city is gone," Eldridge Walker, the mayor of Rolling Fork, said Saturday after a tornado ripped through the Mississippi Delta, killing at least 25 people. Entire blocks were flattened, home were reduced to piles of rubble, and cars were flipping in the storm. Rolling Fork's water...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Police Shove Officials in Election Document Raid
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.