Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Told Her How to Protect
Her $230K. It Was a Scam
Jul 26, 2022 3:06 PM CDT
He Told Her How to Protect Her $230K. It Was a Scam
Illinois woman, 74, fell prey to convincing scammer
- CBS Chicago offers a cautionary tale about scammers preying on seniors. In this one, 74-year-old Henriette Schmuhl believed a man who phoned her to inform her there was a warrant out for her arrest. The man purported to be from Homeland Security, provided a fake badge number and case...
His Offer to Pay Off Women's
Debt Was Too Good to Be True
May 20, 2022 10:12 AM CDT
His Offer to Pay Off Women's Debt Was Too Good to Be True
Brian Wedgeworth pleads guilty to scamming women of more than $1M
- A single surgeon who went to Harvard Medical School and was looking for love. Brian Wedgeworth sounded like a catch. The Florida man was anything but. Wedgeworth, 46, on Thursday pleaded guilty in Tallahassee's federal court to wire fraud, mail fraud, aggravated identity theft, and money laundering and could...
In Romance Scams,
a New Technique Emerges
May 14, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
In Romance Scams, a New Technique Emerges
With 'pig butchering,' bank accounts of victims are fattened before being emptied
- You know from the get-go you're in for an interesting read: "It's a tale as old as Tinder: Girl meets Boy. Boy convinces Girl to hand over a large chunk of cash. Boy ghosts Girl." That's how David Voreacos and Francesco Maglione begin their tale...
Romance Scammer Posed
With Wads of Cash in Photos
May 5, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Romance Scammer Posed With Wads of Cash in Photos
New Jersey's Rubbin Sarpong is sentenced to 14 years in prison
- A New Jersey man just got sentenced to 14 years in prison over an online scam in which he tricked about 40 women on dating websites into sending him money. Prosecutors say one of the women killed herself after wiring him $93,000 and realizing she'd been duped, reports...
Victim of Harvard Jobs Scam:
'How Could I Be So Stupid?'
Dec 25, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Victim of Harvard Jobs Scam: 'How Could I Be So Stupid?'
'NYT' digs in to the fraudsters who targeted Nidhi Razdan, others
- "How could I be so stupid?" It's the question that repeats in Nidhi Razdan's brain. She's the former NDTV news anchor who in January revealed she had been the victim of a sophisticated scam: one in which she quit her high-profile job to take a position...
Debt Collectors Have
a New Tool: Social Media
Dec 2, 2021 5:20 PM CST
Debt Collectors Have a New Tool: Social Media
Consumer advocates fear harassment, scams
- People with social media accounts could be receiving more friend requests than usual. It might be because debt collectors now can use social media to reach people who owe money, the
reports. Text messages could increase, too. The changes in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act were introduced...
Maryland Man Pleads Guilty
in COVID Vaccine Scam
Nov 1, 2021 7:41 AM CDT
Maryland Man Pleads Guilty in COVID Vaccine Scam
Fake site set up to look just like Moderna's offered supposed doses for $30 a pop, feds say
- Earlier this year, before COVID vaccines were readily available to eligible patients, a website suddenly popped up advertising Moderna doses for $30 each. That site turned out to be a fake, and now a Maryland man has owned up to his role in getting it up and running. The
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets:
Seniors Catfished for $139M
Oct 22, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets: Seniors Catfished for $139M
FTC report says there was a 'surge' in 2020 in romance scams bamboozling Americans 60 and over
- Last month, the Department of Justice announced money laundering and wire fraud charges brought against nearly a dozen "romance scammers," and that's only scratching the surface of what the
calls a "surge" in such deceptions made worse by the pandemic, especially for the senior...
He Made Millions Selling
Glasses—and Bullying Buyers
May 9, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
He Made Millions Selling Glasses—and Bullying Buyers
The 'New York Times' asks whether Vitaly Borker is at it again
- The judge said he had never before encountered a defendant who returned "so quickly to exactly the same crime." The question is whether Vitaly Borker is now back at it a third time. Writing for the
New York Times
, David Segal dives into the Ukrainian immigrant's backstory,...
Dec 19, 2020 12:35 PM CST
Vaccine Scams Are Already Happening
Homeland Security agents are already chasing down fake websites
- If you're seeing coronavirus vaccine deals, look again: US officials say they're almost certainly scams. Whether by email, phone, or online, scammers are angling to take advantage of our desire for inoculation. "If you're receiving unsolicited offers for a vaccine—not one, not two, but about...
Cops Bust Dating Scam
in 'Operation Casanova'
Dec 18, 2020 4:05 PM CST
Cops Bust Dating Scam in 'Operation Casanova'
More than 2 dozen are under arrest in Italy, accused of scamming women online
- Their jobs as pilots, sea captains, military or Interpol officials kept them on the go, unable to meet the women they were wooing online in person. That would happen, they told their victims, but first, they needed money for an emergency, such as a child's illness. Police in Italy...
Gift Card Scam Nets Tesla,
Waterfront Home, and 9 Years
Nov 13, 2020 4:25 PM CST
Gift Card Scam Nets Tesla, Waterfront Home, and 9 Years
Ukranian hired by Microsoft to test system found a flaw
- As a tester for Microsoft, Volodymyr Kvashuk placed fake online orders to check the system. The software wouldn't allow products to be sent to testers, so there was no risk of the company being scammed. Except there was. Kvashuk, who was hired in 2016, discovered nothing stopped him from...
80 Charged in Massive
Love Scam Run Out of LA
Aug 23, 2019 8:54 AM CDT
80 Charged in Massive Love Scam Run Out of LA
Man named Valentine, another Nigerian citizen are accused masterminds of scheme out of California
- The feds say elderly women and businesses were the perpetrators' targets, and that they managed to squeeze at least $6 million out of their victims in what prosecutors are calling "one of the largest cases of its kind in US history." CNN reports on the arrests Thursday of...
City Treasurer Falls for Email
Scam, to the Tune of $98K
Apr 9, 2019 5:48 PM CDT
City Treasurer Falls for Email Scam, to the Tune of $98K
Ottawa releases details of July incident
- Ottawa's city treasurer was taken in by a phishing scam, and ended up sending almost $98,000 to an email fraudster, the city auditor general's office has revealed. Last July, Marian Simulik received an email that appeared to come from city manager Steve Kanellakos, asking for the sum—...
NJ Woman Admit
Mar 7, 2019 4:06 AM CST
Homeless Man, NJ Woman Admit GoFundMe Scam
They pleaded guilty to federal charges
- A homeless man and a New Jersey woman who scammed more than 14,000 kind-hearted people with a fake story on GoFundMe are facing time in federal prison. Johnny Bobbitt, Jr., 36, pleaded guilty Wednesday to conspiracy to commit money laundering and 28-year-old Kate McClure pleaded guilty to conspiracy to...
Love Seekers Lost $143M
to Scammers in 2018: FTC
Feb 13, 2019 9:15 AM CST
Love Seekers Lost $143M to Scammers in 2018: FTC
That's more than any other type of consumer fraud found by the agency last year
- If you wanted the Federal Trade Commission's take on Valentine's Day, here it is: Beware of getting scammed seeking love online. The warning comes via the agency's latest revelation, which cites more than 21,000 reports of people getting swindled by internet "paramours" in 2018, NPR...
A Grieving Son Blames
Bank Over $732K Con
Jan 21, 2019 5:20 PM CST
A Grieving Son Blames Bank Over $732K Con
Dayle Hogg says TD Bank shouldn't have let his father wire the money
- Dayle Hogg is hopping mad over the $732,000 his dad sent a romance scammer, but doesn't seem to blame him. "There should have been red flags going up all over the place at the bank," Hogg tells the CBC . "He had no history of sending...
University Fooled Into Paying
$11.8M to Fake Account
Sep 1, 2017 7:11 AM CDT
University Fooled Into Paying $11.8M to Fake Account
Emails requested a change in banking info
- A university in Canada is the victim of what is being described as one of the biggest known phishing scams ever. MacEwan University in Edmonton discovered the fraud on Aug. 23, when a construction company it works with asked why it had yet to be paid. But the school had...
May 4, 2017 8:41 AM CDT
Experts Issue Warning on Facebook Concert Craze
Listing concerts you've attended could compromise online security
- An alluring game on Facebook is coming under intense scrutiny—even though its original intent seems pretty harmless. People are posting lists of the top 10 concerts they've ever attended, including one that they actually didn't attend, to compare and see who can spot the lie. But Facebook...
Why People Spent $450K on a
Ring That Doesn't Seem to Exist
in case you missed it
Dec 10, 2016 12:09 PM CST
Why People Spent $450K on a Ring That Doesn't Seem to Exist
Indiegogo campaign is shut down, with no BioRing in sight
- A ring that seemed too good to be true is apparently too good to exist at all. So reports Vocativ in an exposé about a product that may have never been in the works—and the marketing teams and fundraisers who were seemingly duped by a shiny gadget. The object...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
College Students' Road Trip Ends in Deadly Shootout
After Failed Effort to Help New Orleans, Brad Pitt Settles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.