Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aggression Explained by a Birth
Oct 27, 2023 9:58 AM CDT
Surfboard-Stealing Otter's Aggression Explained by a Birth
Otter 841 spotted with pup off Santa Cruz
- Attempts to capture an aggressive surfboard-stealing sea otter in California are on hold as "Otter 841" is now accompanied by a pup. The female sea otter has reportedly given birth and was spotted Wednesday "far off the Santa Cruz coast, rolling and spinning in the kelp and waves...
CNN Anchor's Baby Arrived
in Most Surprising Way
Mar 4, 2023 9:00 AM CST
CNN Anchor's Baby Arrived in Most Surprising Way
Kasie Hunt's 'sudden' 13-minute labor meant she had to give birth to daughter Grey in her bathroom
- While most of us were marking the first of March with salutations of "rabbit, rabbit" and thoughts of spring, Kasie Hunt was having an even more exciting day. The 37-year-old CNN anchor was set to head to the hospital Thursday for a scheduled C-section for the birth of her...
After Heartbreak, a 'Blessed
Day' for Teigen, Legend
Jan 14, 2023 9:00 AM CST
After Heartbreak, a 'Blessed Day' for Teigen, Legend
Stars reportedly welcome third child after earlier pregnancy loss, joining 2 older siblings
- Friday the 13th tends to get a bad rap, but yesterday saw not only a big Mega Millions winner —it apparently marked an exciting new addition to the household of Chrissy Teigen and John Legend. At a private concert on Friday, the 44-year-old singer announced the news that his...
Who Wants to Give Birth in a
Hurricane? No One, but She Did
Sep 30, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Who Wants to Give Birth in a Hurricane? No One, but She Did
Cape Coral resident Amanda Mahr's baby is named George, not Ian
- Amid the nightmarish news out of Florida in the wake of Ian, a bright spot comes via a 10-pound, 6-ounce package delivered in Cape Coral. The
New York Times
reports on the plight of 36-year-old Amanda Mahr, and her husband, Matthew, 37, as they hunkered down to ride out the...
Suit: She Gave Birth on
Jail Cell Floor as Staff Laughed
Sep 28, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Suit: She Gave Birth on Jail Cell Floor as Staff Laughed
Jazmin Valentine alleges she was ignored during her 6-hour labor
- A woman who said she was left to give birth to her baby alone on the dirty, concrete floor of her jail cell in Maryland filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday alleging that jail nurses ignored her screams and pleas for help for six hours. Jazmin Valentine alleges some nurses working...
We Haven't Seen This on
the Birth Front for 7 Years
May 24, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
There was a 1% increase in number of births in 2021—the first rise since 2014, per CDC report
- For the first time in seven years, the US birth rate has risen—meaning predictions that the pandemic would have a more significant impact on becoming a parent went slightly off course. Americans welcomed to the world 3.66 million babies in 2021, up 1% from the previous year, according...
Median Age for
in US Hits
May 9, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Median Age for Giving Birth in US Hits Record High
It's now 30, according to US Census Bureau
- For Allyson Jacobs, life in her 20s and 30s was about focusing on her career in health care and enjoying the social scene in New York City. It wasn't until she turned 40 that she and her husband started trying to have children. They had a son when she...
'Momentous Occasion' for One
of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Mar 31, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
'Momentous Occasion' for One of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Indonesia's captive breeding program spawns new Sumatran rhino
- Indonesia has just welcomed a bundle of joy in the form of one of the rarest mammals on Earth. A Sumatran rhino was born March 24 in a sanctuary to a mother that had suffered eight miscarriages since she was captured in the wild in 2005 as part of a...
Birth 'Was Uneventful Other
Than Being at 30,000 Feet'
Feb 1, 2022 7:25 AM CST
Birth 'Was Uneventful Other Than Being at 30,000 Feet'
Baby born over the Atlantic on flight from Ghana to US
- No one wants to hear "Is there a doctor on board?" while they're halfway through an 11-hour journey over the Atlantic. Luckily for one mom-to-be, there was not only a doctor, but also a nurse and a former nurse on United Airlines Flight 997, and they all helped...
Inside Newborn's Large
Tummy: Parts of a Twin
Jul 29, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
Inside Newborn's Large Tummy: Parts of a Twin
It's likely a rare case of 'fetus in fetu' in Israel
- A baby girl born in Israel this month is doing well after surgery to remove what is thought to be at least one embryo from her stomach, likely from a twin she absorbed. When the child's mother arrived at Ashdod's Assuta Medical Center to give birth, "we...
Meghan and Harry
Welcome Lilibet Diana
Jun 6, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Meghan and Harry Welcome Lilibet Diana
Couple's second child is born in Santa Barbara, named after grandmother and great-grandmother
- Lilibet "Lili" Diana Mountbatten-Windsor has arrived, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced Sunday. Their second child was born Friday morning at a Santa Barbara hospital, the couple said in a statement, weighing 7 pounds, 11 ounces. "Both mother and child are healthy and well, and settling in at...
Drop in US Birth
Rate Could Lead
May 5, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Drop in US Birth Rate Could Lead to 'Demographic Time Bomb'
Birth rates have fallen for the 6th year in a row, and pandemic may be helping that trend along
- For the sixth year in a row, birth rates in the US have fallen, and, combined with a slowing down of immigration and an increasing number of deaths, it all points to a "shifting demographic picture" in America, reports the
New York Times
. CDC data released Wednesday shows there...
Plane Lands in Hawaii
With One More Passenger
Than When It Departed
May 3, 2021 8:05 AM CDT
Plane Lands in Hawaii With One More Passenger Than When It Departed
Doctor, 3 neonatal ICU nurses help deliver baby on Delta flight
- Many doctors have had to come to the rescue during a flight to help a sick or hurt passenger, but Dr. Dale Glenn's in-air episode last week was unlike most. "I've experienced this before, and usually they're pretty clear asking if there is a doctor on...
This Country Just Saw Its
First-Ever Population Drop
Jan 4, 2021 10:25 AM CST
This Country Just Saw Its First-Ever Population Drop
South Korea had more deaths than births in 2020, and the pandemic likely made things worse
- For the first time ever, South Korea's population has seen a downturn, with the decline likely exacerbated by the pandemic. Census figures reported by Yonhap show a count of 51,829,023 at year's end, a nearly 21,000 drop from 2019, per the
. The population had...
Sep 17, 2020 3:32 PM CDT
NFL Player's New Son Makes Surprise Arrival
Kevin Byard helped his wife Clarke as she gave birth in a bathtub
- An NFL player says he made the catch of a lifetime before the 2020 season even started, ESPN reports. Kevin Byard, star safety for the Tennessee Titans, says his wife suddenly gave birth on Aug. 23 in their Tennessee home—and he was the only one there to help. Byard...
If We Can't Solve This Problem,
Our Species 'Disappears'
Jul 16, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
If We Can't Solve This Problem, Our Species 'Disappears'
Experts predict crash in births will force societal overhaul
- Experts say we'll need to "reorganize societies" to respond to a "jaw-dropping" decrease in the number of Earthlings being born. To keep a steady population, a woman needs to have 2.1 children on average so as to account for infant mortality and childless women. Women were...
3 Sisters, 3 Births on
Same Day, Same Hospital
Jul 14, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
3 Sisters, 3 Births on Same Day, Same Hospital
'This kind of blew everybody away'
- Three Ohio sisters have defied odds by giving birth on the same day in the same hospital with the same obstetrician overseeing their deliveries, per the AP . Daneesha Haynes, Ariel Williams, and Ashley Haynes gave birth July 3 at OhioHealth Mansfield Hospital within a four-and-a-half-hour span, the
Mansfield News Journal
Guards Fail to Notice
Inmate Giving Birth
May 29, 2020 12:06 AM CDT
Guards Fail to Notice Inmate Giving Birth
Texas inmate gives birth in jail cell
- A woman managed to go into labor and give birth alone in a Texas jail cell without any corrections officers noticing until after she had delivered the child, a sheriff's official said Thursday. The woman had the baby in a Fort Worth jail cell on May 17, according to...
After Miracle in
Toilet Paper Aisle
Mar 21, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Customers Cheer After Miracle in Toilet Paper Aisle
It came as a surprise for Walmart customers in Springfield, Missouri
- Customers cheered at a Walmart in Missouri after a woman gave birth to a baby girl in the store's toilet paper aisle, the AP reports. Jessica Hinkle, manager of the store in Springfield, said the woman told employees Wednesday that her water broke. Hinkle held up a sheet for...
New Stat Hints at
Jan 17, 2020 9:42 AM CST
New Stat Hints at a 'Demographic Time Bomb'
Low birth rate, low death rate in China has researchers, economists there worried
- There's a "looming crisis" brewing in China, one the
New York Times
says could eventually have a "seismic effect." Per the country's National Bureau of Statistics, about 14.6 million babies were born there last year, an almost 4% drop from 2018. It's the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
NFL Player Got Creative to Avoid Trash-Talk Penalties
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.