Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
'Good, Absurd' News
for Woman Jailed
Over Warning Shot
Jan 29, 2015 10:24 AM CST
'Good, Absurd' News for Woman Jailed Over Warning Shot
Marissa Alexander released from prison as part of a plea agreement
- Initially sentenced to 20 years behind bars, Marissa Alexander is out after three. The Florida mother of three—who fired what she said was a warning shot at her estranged husband during a fight in 2010—was released Tuesday as part of a November plea deal. She pleaded guilty to...
Woman Who Fired
Mar 4, 2014 2:10 PM CST
Woman Who Fired Warning Shot Could Get
Marissa Alexander faces triple the original sentence in new trial
- Marissa Alexander, the Jacksonville woman sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a warning shot that injured no one, could now end up serving 60 years instead. Alexander, 33, was initially convicted in 2012 of three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon; the judge imposed three 20-year-sentences,...
Woman Gets 20 Years
for Firing Warning Shot
May 11, 2012 5:42 PM CDT
Woman Gets 20 Years for Firing Warning Shot
Florida's Marissa Alexander was fending off husband
- A Florida woman was sentenced to 20 years in prison today for firing what she says was a warning shot to scare away her attacking husband. In the intensely controversial case, Marissa Alexander claims she was fleeing from her abusive husband when she fired a gun into the wall of...
Popular on Newser
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Maine Objects to Decision by Whole Foods on Lobster
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.