Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Mitt Romney Republican'
Is New GOP Insult
Jun 26, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
'Mitt Romney Republican' Is New GOP Insult
Candidates in the Trump camp are deploying it to criticize their opponents
- Mitt Romney isn't up for reelection this year. But Trump-aligned Republicans hostile toward the Utah senator have made his name a recurring theme in this year's primaries, using him as a foil and derisively branding their rivals “Mitt Romney Republicans," per the AP . Republicans have used...
Apr 21, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
Gabbard Demands Romney Drop 'Treasonous' Accusation
Former Hawaii lawmaker's lawyer sends letter demanding retraction
- An attack by Sen. Mitt Romney on Tulsi Gabbard last month has drawn a response from her lawyer. "Tulsi Gabbard is parroting false Russian propaganda," the Republican senator had tweeted . "Her treasonous lies may well cost lives." Romney didn't say which comments of Gabbard's...
2 Possible POTUS Contenders
Team Up, With a Warning
Mar 15, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
2 Possible POTUS Contenders Team Up, With a Warning
Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney speak of need to protect democracy at private event in Virginia
- American democracy is rare, fragile, and in need of protection, Mitt Romney told Republican donors on Monday, amid fresh speculation of yet another presidential run . Five people who attended the private fundraiser for GOP Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming—herself a subject of similar speculation —organized by Republican bigwigs...
In 2024, This Man
Could Win in a Landslide
Mar 11, 2022 12:54 PM CST
In 2024, This Man Could Win in a Landslide
Essayist makes the case for Mitt Romney, whose biggest challenge would be the primaries
- Mitt Romney in 2024? In an essay in the
, journalist Robby Soave makes the case that Utah's junior senator should make one more run for the White House. The way things are going, Soave thinks pretty much any Republican would be the favorite against President Biden, "...
Feb 27, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Trump Elaborates After Calling Putin 'Smart'
CPAC crowd cheers claim last administration would have prevented Ukraine invasion
- Days after calling Russian President Vladimir Putin "smart" in his launching of an attack on Ukraine, former President Donald Trump expanded on his assessment, portraying that intelligence as at least partly relative. "The problem is not that Putin is smart—which of course, he's smart—but the...
Listened to Mitt
Feb 23, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Growing Consensus on Russia: Should've Listened to Mitt
A look back at Romney's 2012 remarks on Russia being 'without question, our No. 1 geopolitical foe'
- As the world waits anxiously for his next move on Ukraine, Vladimir Putin continues to make demands over the crisis, exacerbated this week by his ordering of Russian troops into eastern Ukraine. Now, comments made about Russia a decade ago by Sen. Mitt Romney, then a presidential contender against incumbent...
GOP Censured 2 of Its Own,
and a Backlash Is Growing
Feb 8, 2022 10:25 AM CST
GOP Censured 2 of Its Own, and a Backlash Is Growing
Lindsey Graham is among those accusing the RNC of looking backward instead of forward
- The Republican National Committee's decision to censure two lawmakers from its own party is not sitting well with some big-name Republicans. Coverage in multiple outlets quotes GOP members of Congress who say the strike against Reps. Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger was misguided and could potentially hurt a party...
Jan 29, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Romney Latest Senator to Test Positive
Utah senator, 74, says he's asymptomatic
- Republican Sen. Mitt Romney, 74, has tested positive for COVID-19, per CBS News . The former presidential candidate, who is fully vaccinated and boosted, says he doesn’t have any symptoms and will work from home and isolate himself until doctors say he’s unlikely to infect others, the
Mitt Romney, Kyrsten Sinema
Team Up for Halloween
Oct 28, 2021 3:01 PM CDT
Mitt Romney, Kyrsten Sinema Team Up for Halloween
Their bit has a Ted Lasso theme, but critics aren't amused
- In a day of high stakes in DC , a weird bit of political theater emerged, too. Republican Sen. Mitt Romney dressed up as the soccer-coach character Ted Lasso and paid a visit to Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, reports Deadline . Sinema was dressed as Lasso's boss on the Apple TV...
Fire Destroys Iconic NH Barn
May 11, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Fire Destroys Iconic NH Barn
Cause of blaze at Scamman Farm in Stratham under investigation
- A fire destroyed a barn at a New Hampshire farm that's been the backdrop for political events for Republican presidents and candidates through the years. The fire burned down a barn at the Scamman Farm in Stratham, reports the AP , a little after 10:30pm on Monday. Fire crews...
May 2, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Romney Wins Censure Vote but Gets an Earful
Utah Republicans boo over impeachment trial votes against Trump
- Sen. Mitt Romney endured insults and boos from Republicans at home on Saturday, but he avoided being censured by the Utah party convention. The anger, and the censure motion, were in response to Romney twice voting to convict former President Trump in his impeachment trial, CNN reports. "You know...
Sen. Sinema's Explicit Ring
Gets Plenty of Attention
Apr 20, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Sen. Sinema's Explicit Ring Gets Plenty of Attention
Centrist Kyrsten Sinema shared photo of her wearing ring that said 'f--k off'
- On a weekend in which photos of her exaggerated thumbs-down "no" vote on an incremental minimum wage were projected on City Hall in Flagstaff, Ariz., Sen. Kyrsten Sinema projected an image of her own—which included the words "f--k off." The Arizona Democrat posted a photo on...
Romney, Liz Cheney Issue
Warnings About the GOP
Feb 24, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Romney, Liz Cheney Issue Warnings About the GOP
Romney says Trump would win 2024 GOP nom if he ran
- In what the
New York Times
notes is "a clear sign of [Donald] Trump's enduring position in the Republican Party," Mitt Romney offered a prediction Thursday on the next presidential campaign season. Speaking Tuesday with the
Andrew Ross Sorkin at the DealBook DC Policy Project, the...
Romney Called 'Deep State'
Agent in Censure Motion
Feb 16, 2021 12:13 PM CST
Romney Called 'Deep State' Agent in Censure Motion
However, GOP leaders in Utah come to his defense
- To get a sense of the debate now underway within the GOP, look no further than Utah. Some state Republicans are circulating a motion online calling for Mitt Romney to be censured for voting to convict former President Trump in his second impeachment trial . At the same time, however, party...
Republicans Back Home
Don't Take 7 Votes Well
Feb 14, 2021 1:45 PM CST
Republicans Back Home Don't Take 7 Votes Well
Louisiana GOP censures Cassidy
- Republican senators who voted to convict former President Trump in his impeachment trial are hearing about it from party officials back home. Sen. Bill Cassidy was promptly censured by Louisiana party leaders, the Hill reports. The state party condemned Cassidy's vote in a tweet , adding, "Fortunately, clearer heads...
New Footage Shows Romney
Close Call During Riot
Feb 10, 2021 5:01 PM CST
New Footage Shows Romney Close Call During Riot
Eugene Goodman directed senator to safety
- Security footage aired at Donald Trump's second impeachment trial Wednesday shows that Capitol police officer Eugene Goodman was even more of a hero than previously known, impeachment manager Del. Stacey Plaskett said. The video shows Goodman encountering Sen. Mitt Romney and warning him to go the other way, the...
Let the Blame Game Begin
Jan 7, 2021 7:54 AM CST
Let the Blame Game Begin
Sens. Hawley, Cruz accused of spurring Wednesday's violence, along with Trump
- Lots of people are laying blame for Wednesday's violence at the Capitol on President Trump. But the
Kansas City Star
editorial board points to another Republican: Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley. The 41-year-old senator elected in 2018 "deserves an impressive share of the blame for the blood that's...
Jan 3, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Pence Backs GOP Effort to Invalidate Biden's Win
Vice president, who will be presiding, 'welcomes the efforts' of congressional Republicans
- The Republicans in Congress hoping to throw out President-elect Joe Biden's election victory this week still don't have enough votes—or evidence—to do that, but they'll evidently have the support of the official at the microphone. Vice President Mike Pence, who will be presiding over the...
Biden a Call
Nov 8, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Bush Gives Biden a Call —as Other Republicans Speak Up
George W. Bush calls Joe Biden 'a good man' who 'won his opportunity'
- George W Bush—the only former GOP president still alive—called Joe Biden on Sunday and congratulated him on his presidential victory, CNN reports. He said President Trump has every right to seek recounts and legal battles, but described the 2020 election as "fundamentally fair" with a "clear"...
Mitt Romney Has Voted.
It Wasn't for Trump
Oct 21, 2020 4:32 PM CDT
Mitt Romney Has Voted. It Wasn't for Trump
He declined to say whether he voted for Biden
- Mitt Romney isn't saying who he voted for this year—but it definitely wasn't the Republican nominee. "I didn't vote for President Trump," the GOP senator confirmed to CNN Wednesday. He declined to say whether he had voted for Joe Biden, saying his vote is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.