Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Romney: Nearly Anybody Would
Be 'an Upgrade' Over Trump
Nov 26, 2023 3:35 PM CST
Romney: Nearly Anybody Would Be 'an Upgrade' Over Trump
Former GOP nominee says he finds Biden charming but disagrees with him
- Sen. Mitt Romney has made clear the breadth of his anti-Donald Trump sentiment, saying he'd cheerfully vote for several Democrats and nearly every Republican over the former president. Well, "maybe not Vivek," Romney said of entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy. But the others. "I'd be happy to support...
Romney: I Won't Run for Prez
Unless Godzilla Intervenes
Oct 23, 2023 7:50 PM CDT
Romney: I Won't Run for Prez Unless Godzilla Intervenes
But he describes Trump as a 'failure of character'
- Sen. Mitt Romney is no fan of former President Trump but he doesn't plan on challenging the GOP frontrunner for the presidential nomination, except under what would be truly unprecedented circumstances. "Perhaps if Godzilla comes in and removes all the other candidates and so forth," the 76-year-old...
Oprah: No, I Didn't Ask Romney
to Run for White House With Me
Oct 19, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Oprah: No, I Didn't Ask Romney to Run for White House With Me
She disputes claim in new book
- Oprah Winfrey is disputing a new book's assertion that she once called Mitt Romney to suggest they run for the White House on the same ticket. Yes, the spokesperson says, Winfrey did indeed call the Utah Republican in the run-up to the 2020 election, but not to float a...
Trump Mocks Romney After
Decision Not to Run Again
Sep 13, 2023 4:17 PM CDT
Trump Mocks Romney After Decision Not to Run Again
GOP nemesis 'did not serve with distinction,' Truth Social post says
- Donald Trump celebrated the upcoming departure of Sen. Mitt Romney from Congress, calling the fellow GOP politician's retirement announcement "fantastic news for America, the great state of Utah, and for the Republican Party." Trump endorsed Romney's 2012 presidential candidacy and 2018 run for Senate, but the...
Romney Says He
Won't Seek a 2nd Term
Sep 13, 2023 1:24 PM CDT
Romney Says He Won't Seek a 2nd Term
Senator says it's time for a new generation of leaders
- One of Donald Trump's most outspoken Republican critics isn't going to seek re-election to the Senate, a move that could mark the end of his political career. Sen. Mitt Romney tells the
that he has decided not to seek a second term because he thinks it...
It Out With
Feb 8, 2023 11:17 AM CST
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
Utah senator doesn't mince words about his opinion of freshman rep from NY at SOTU
- You can count the junior senator from Utah as someone who won't be breaking bread with Rep. George Santos anytime soon. Sen. Mitt Romney had some words for the newly elected and unrelentingly controversial representative from New York at Tuesday night's State of the Union address, and they...
'Mitt Romney Republican'
Is New GOP Insult
Jun 26, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
'Mitt Romney Republican' Is New GOP Insult
Candidates in the Trump camp are deploying it to criticize their opponents
- Mitt Romney isn't up for reelection this year. But Trump-aligned Republicans hostile toward the Utah senator have made his name a recurring theme in this year's primaries, using him as a foil and derisively branding their rivals “Mitt Romney Republicans," per the AP . Republicans have used...
Apr 21, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
Gabbard Demands Romney Drop 'Treasonous' Accusation
Former Hawaii lawmaker's lawyer sends letter demanding retraction
- An attack by Sen. Mitt Romney on Tulsi Gabbard last month has drawn a response from her lawyer. "Tulsi Gabbard is parroting false Russian propaganda," the Republican senator had tweeted . "Her treasonous lies may well cost lives." Romney didn't say which comments of Gabbard's...
2 Possible POTUS Contenders
Team Up, With a Warning
Mar 15, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
2 Possible POTUS Contenders Team Up, With a Warning
Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney speak of need to protect democracy at private event in Virginia
- American democracy is rare, fragile, and in need of protection, Mitt Romney told Republican donors on Monday, amid fresh speculation of yet another presidential run . Five people who attended the private fundraiser for GOP Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming—herself a subject of similar speculation —organized by Republican bigwigs...
In 2024, This Man
Could Win in a Landslide
Mar 11, 2022 12:54 PM CST
In 2024, This Man Could Win in a Landslide
Essayist makes the case for Mitt Romney, whose biggest challenge would be the primaries
- Mitt Romney in 2024? In an essay in the
, journalist Robby Soave makes the case that Utah's junior senator should make one more run for the White House. The way things are going, Soave thinks pretty much any Republican would be the favorite against President Biden, "...
Feb 27, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Trump Elaborates After Calling Putin 'Smart'
CPAC crowd cheers claim last administration would have prevented Ukraine invasion
- Days after calling Russian President Vladimir Putin "smart" in his launching of an attack on Ukraine, former President Donald Trump expanded on his assessment, portraying that intelligence as at least partly relative. "The problem is not that Putin is smart—which of course, he's smart—but the...
Listened to Mitt
Feb 23, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Growing Consensus on Russia: Should've Listened to Mitt
A look back at Romney's 2012 remarks on Russia being 'without question, our No. 1 geopolitical foe'
- As the world waits anxiously for his next move on Ukraine, Vladimir Putin continues to make demands over the crisis, exacerbated this week by his ordering of Russian troops into eastern Ukraine. Now, comments made about Russia a decade ago by Sen. Mitt Romney, then a presidential contender against incumbent...
GOP Censured 2 of Its Own,
and a Backlash Is Growing
Feb 8, 2022 10:25 AM CST
GOP Censured 2 of Its Own, and a Backlash Is Growing
Lindsey Graham is among those accusing the RNC of looking backward instead of forward
- The Republican National Committee's decision to censure two lawmakers from its own party is not sitting well with some big-name Republicans. Coverage in multiple outlets quotes GOP members of Congress who say the strike against Reps. Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger was misguided and could potentially hurt a party...
Jan 29, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Romney Latest Senator to Test Positive
Utah senator, 74, says he's asymptomatic
- Republican Sen. Mitt Romney, 74, has tested positive for COVID-19, per CBS News . The former presidential candidate, who is fully vaccinated and boosted, says he doesn’t have any symptoms and will work from home and isolate himself until doctors say he’s unlikely to infect others, the
Mitt Romney, Kyrsten Sinema
Team Up for Halloween
Oct 28, 2021 3:01 PM CDT
Mitt Romney, Kyrsten Sinema Team Up for Halloween
Their bit has a Ted Lasso theme, but critics aren't amused
- In a day of high stakes in DC , a weird bit of political theater emerged, too. Republican Sen. Mitt Romney dressed up as the soccer-coach character Ted Lasso and paid a visit to Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, reports Deadline . Sinema was dressed as Lasso's boss on the Apple TV...
Fire Destroys Iconic NH Barn
May 11, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Fire Destroys Iconic NH Barn
Cause of blaze at Scamman Farm in Stratham under investigation
- A fire destroyed a barn at a New Hampshire farm that's been the backdrop for political events for Republican presidents and candidates through the years. The fire burned down a barn at the Scamman Farm in Stratham, reports the AP , a little after 10:30pm on Monday. Fire crews...
May 2, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Romney Wins Censure Vote but Gets an Earful
Utah Republicans boo over impeachment trial votes against Trump
- Sen. Mitt Romney endured insults and boos from Republicans at home on Saturday, but he avoided being censured by the Utah party convention. The anger, and the censure motion, were in response to Romney twice voting to convict former President Trump in his impeachment trial, CNN reports. "You know...
Sen. Sinema's Explicit Ring
Gets Plenty of Attention
Apr 20, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Sen. Sinema's Explicit Ring Gets Plenty of Attention
Centrist Kyrsten Sinema shared photo of her wearing ring that said 'f--k off'
- On a weekend in which photos of her exaggerated thumbs-down "no" vote on an incremental minimum wage were projected on City Hall in Flagstaff, Ariz., Sen. Kyrsten Sinema projected an image of her own—which included the words "f--k off." The Arizona Democrat posted a photo on...
Romney, Liz Cheney Issue
Warnings About the GOP
Feb 24, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Romney, Liz Cheney Issue Warnings About the GOP
Romney says Trump would win 2024 GOP nom if he ran
- In what the
New York Times
notes is "a clear sign of [Donald] Trump's enduring position in the Republican Party," Mitt Romney offered a prediction Thursday on the next presidential campaign season. Speaking Tuesday with the
Andrew Ross Sorkin at the DealBook DC Policy Project, the...
Romney Called 'Deep State'
Agent in Censure Motion
Feb 16, 2021 12:13 PM CST
Romney Called 'Deep State' Agent in Censure Motion
However, GOP leaders in Utah come to his defense
- To get a sense of the debate now underway within the GOP, look no further than Utah. Some state Republicans are circulating a motion online calling for Mitt Romney to be censured for voting to convict former President Trump in his second impeachment trial . At the same time, however, party...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.