Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Guy Might've Been the
Heaviest Animal Earth's Seen
Aug 2, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
This Guy Might've Been the Heaviest Animal Earth's Seen
Meet the long-extinct Perucetus colossus
- There could be a new contender for heaviest animal to ever live. While today's blue whale has long held the title, the AP reports that scientists have dug up fossils from an ancient giant that could tip the scales. Researchers described the new species—named
, or "...
Claim on Joe Rogan Podcast
Sparks a 'Bone Rush' in NYC
Jan 17, 2023 11:39 AM CST
Claim on Joe Rogan Podcast Sparks a 'Bone Rush' in NYC
Gold miner John Reeves says mammoth bones were dumped in East River in the 1940s
- Ask people what you might find buried in the muck at the bottom of New York City's East River and they'd likely say "mob boss" before thinking of mammoth bones. But several groups of treasure hunters have taken to the waterway in recent weeks after hearing a...
Hunter, Age 9,
Makes a Rare Find
Jan 14, 2023 2:25 PM CST
Veteran Fossil Hunter, Age 9, Makes a Rare Find
Molly Sampson wades out and spots giant megalodon tooth
- Molly Sampson has been searching for a giant megalodon tooth for eight of her nine years. "She's been shark tooth hunting since age 1 when she would crawl along the beach," said her mother, Alicia. When Molly opened the insulated wading boots that she'd asked for...
A Scientific Misfire Gave Us
Jan 6, 2023 1:56 PM CST
A Scientific Misfire Gave Us 'Nebraska Man'
In the 1920s, an old tooth was misinterpreted in a very public way
- For a while in the 1920s, it appeared that we'd be talking about "Nebraska Man" for generations as an evolutionary milestone. But as Madeline Bodin writes at Atavist , the name has since faded into obscurity for good reason—it was a very public scientific misfire. The saga began...
Fossil Site May Be
'Ancient Maternity Ward'
Dec 20, 2022 1:17 PM CST
Fossil Site May Be 'Ancient Maternity Ward'
Researchers describe how ancient ichthyosaurs traveled to Nevada site to give birth
- Scientists have uncovered new clues about a curious fossil site in Nevada, a graveyard for dozens of giant marine reptiles. Instead of the site of a massive die-off as suspected, it might have been an ancient maternity ward where the creatures came to give birth, per the AP . The site...
Axes T. Rex Auction
Nov 21, 2022 6:32 AM CST
Christie's Abruptly Axes T. Rex Auction
US firm noticed skeleton, which Christie's was to auction off in Hong Kong, borrowed a lot from 'Stan'
- A 15-foot-tall T. rex skeleton that was unearthed in Montana had been set to be put on the auction block later this month. Now, Christie's has yanked the bone set nicknamed Shen from the Hong Kong sale, after an American fossil firm questioned some of the skeleton's parts....
Researchers Create Model
of Huge, Ancient Shark
Aug 20, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Researchers Create Model of Huge, Ancient Shark
Megalodon could have devoured a killer whale in 5 bites, research shows
- Today's sharks have nothing on their ancient cousins. A giant shark that roamed the oceans millions of years ago could have devoured a creature the size of a killer whale in just five bites, new research suggests. For their study published this week, researchers used fossil evidence to create...
Fossil Discovery Spurs
Believers in Nessie
Aug 5, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
Fossil Discovery Spurs Believers in Nessie
Study suggests ancient plesiosaurs lived in freshwater bodies of water, though not Loch Ness
- A new study offering some of the best evidence yet for ancient long-necked reptiles living in freshwater lakes has been seized upon by believers in the Loch Ness Monster. Plesiosaurs, small-headed beasts with flippers that disappeared from the fossil record 66 million years ago, certainly inhabited Earth's oceans. There...
'Hector' Just Sold
for Really Big Bucks
May 14, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Remains of 'Hector' Just Sold for Really Big Bucks
Skeleton of dino that inspired velociraptors in 'Jurassic Park' was bought for $12.4M at auction
- "Hector" has been sold. The skeleton of the
dinosaur species, said to be the inspiration for the velociraptors in 1993's
, was auctioned off by Christie's on Thursday to an undisclosed buyer for $12.4 million, more than double the price the auction house...
Fossils More Than
200M Years Old
Stolen From Utah Park
May 11, 2022 12:31 PM CDT
Fossils More Than 200M Years Old Stolen From Utah Park
NPS offers $1K reward after Capitol Reef National Park theft
- Fossils of reptile tracks in Capitol Reef National Park have been dated to the Triassic period more than 200 million years ago—and their theft has been dated to some time between August 2017 and August 2018. The National Park Service, which describes the fossils as "irreplaceable paleontological resources,...
Scientist: This Dinosaur Died
on the Day of Asteroid Strike
Apr 7, 2022 12:23 PM CDT
Scientist: This Dinosaur Died on the Day of Asteroid Strike
Leg was among many finds at North Dakota site that preserved the 'death blow'
- The asteroid that hit the Earth around 66 million years ago brought an abrupt end to the Cretaceous period—and to the life of a
dinosaur whose incredibly well-preserved leg was found at a North Dakota site. Researchers say they can pinpoint the day of the dinosaur's death...
Lost Continent Explains
a 34M-Year-Old Extinction
Mar 7, 2022 2:55 PM CST
Lost Continent Explains a 34M-Year-Old Extinction
Researchers discover Balkanatolia, an ancient island turned land bridge
- About 34 million years ago, native fauna disappeared from Western Europe, as mammals from Asia took over. The extinction, known as the Grande Coupure or "great break," might as well have been called the great puzzle. For decades, researchers have been unable to explain how animals from eastern...
For These Cowboys, Payday
Is Found Beneath the Soil
Oct 3, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
For These Cowboys, Payday Is Found Beneath the Soil
Hunting dinosaur fossils is a booming sideline at the moment
- Clayton Phipps runs cattle on his Montana ranch, but that ranch may not have survived over the years if not for his side hustle, the one that has earned him the nickname "Dinosaur Cowboy." As a story by Andrew Zaleski at Bloomberg explains, the 48-year-old Phipps hunts dinosaur...
Fossil Could Be Oldest
Known Animal by 350M Years
Jul 28, 2021 7:20 PM CDT
Fossil Could Be Oldest Known Animal by 350M Years
Possible remains of ancient sponge found in Canada's far north
- Fossils discovered in the far north of Canada could push back the proven timeline of animals on Earth back by around 350 million years—a period of time longer than that between the first dinosaurs and the present day. Geologist Elizabeth Turner says the tiny fossils found in the Northwest...
May 8, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Remains of 9 Neanderthals Found, an 'Extraordinary Discovery'
Ancient landslide preserved fossils in caves near Rome
- A major new discovery at a familiar prehistoric site was announced Saturday by Italy. Archaeologists have found the remains of nine Neanderthal men in Grotta Guattari, prehistoric caves near the Tyrrhenian Sea between Rome and Naples that were discovered—accidently, by workers—in 1939. The nation's culture minister called...
Discovery of Bones From
Ice Age Slows Pool Project
Apr 29, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
Discovery of Bones From Ice Age Slows Pool Project
That happens near Las Vegas, expert says
- A couple in Las Vegas said they will have to wait to continue building their pool after construction crews unearthed a set of animal bones dating back to Earth's most recent ice age. Matt Perkins and his husband, who recently moved from Washington state to a newly built home...
Mass T. Rex Death Site
Births a Terrifying Theory
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 25, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Mass T. Rex Death Site Births a Terrifying Theory
The dino predators may have hunted in packs: researchers
- Imagine being chased by a Tyrannosaurus rex. Now imagine being chased by six. That might've been the scenario for T. rex prey, according to new research suggesting the dino predator hunted in packs like wolves. The theory stems from a site discovered in 2014 at the Grand Staircase-Escalante National...
Scientists: 'Smallest Dinosaur'
Wasn't Really a Dinosaur
Aug 3, 2020 3:29 PM CDT
Scientists: 'Smallest Dinosaur' Wasn't Really a Dinosaur
They now believe Oculudentavis was a lizard
was a strange and fascinating creature, scientists say—but it probably wasn't a dinosaur. Researchers who identified the hummingbird-sized animal as the smallest known dinosaur in a study published earlier this year have retracted their claim following new research and the discovery of another
Forerunner to Dinosaurs Was
Tiny Enough to Take Anywhere
Jul 6, 2020 4:39 PM CDT
Forerunner to Dinosaurs Was Tiny Enough to Take Anywhere
Kongonaphon kely fed on bugs and was less than 4 inches tall, researchers say
- Meet Kongonaphon kely, a pocket-size dinosaur forerunner that was smaller than your cellphone. The creature, which predated dinosaurs and flying pterosaurs, was just shy of 4 inches tall, according to a study published Monday in the journal
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
. "Some of these things would...
Court: Fossils Worth Millions
Belong to Montana Family
Jun 24, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
Court: Fossils Worth Millions Belong to Montana Family
Mary Ann and Lige Murray own surface rights to land where 'dueling dinosaurs' found
- Dinosaur fossils worth millions of dollars unearthed on a Montana ranch belong to the owners of the land’s surface rights, not the owners of the mineral rights, a US appeals court ruled. The June 17 ruling by the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a 2016 decision by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
A New Look at the Killing of the 'Face of Red Power'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.