Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
MLB Teams Sign a Bunch
of Players' Family Members
Jan 16, 2023 8:41 AM CST
MLB Teams Sign a Bunch of Players' Family Members
Among them: Padres sign Ethan Salas, younger bro of top Marlins prospect Jose Salas, for $5.6M
- The San Diego Padres signed 16-year-old catcher Ethan Salas of Caracas, Venezuela, to a $5.6 million bonus on Sunday, the first day of the international signing period. Salas is the consensus top overall prospect in this year's class. The left-handed hitter is the younger brother of Jose Salas,...
Dec 23, 2022 1:00 AM CST
Trevor Bauer's 324-Game Suspension Reduced
Dodgers pitcher will be reinstated immediately, MLB says
- Trevor Bauer can return to Major League Baseball after an independent arbitrator on Thursday reduced his record 324-game suspension to 194 games. Bauer, the LA Dodgers pitcher who was accused of sexual assault last year, had appealed his suspension, which caused him to miss the entire 2022 season, or 144...
We Have a New
World Series Matchup
Oct 24, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
We Have a New World Series Matchup
Houston and Philly will meet in baseball's big game
- Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber breaking the Bank in Philly. Yordan Alvarez launching moonshots in H-Town. Dusty Baker trying for a most elusive win. Justin Verlander, too. A fired-up Harper and All-Stars JT Realmuto and Zack Wheeler, stepping onto baseball's biggest platform for the first time. Yo! The Philadelphia...
'Bizarre' Moment in
MLB Playoff Game
Leads to Cries of 'Cheater!'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 15, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
'Bizarre' Moment in MLB Playoff Game Leads to Cries of 'Cheater!'
San Diego Padres pitcher gets his ears checked at Mets manager's request
- With a magnificent performance on a memorable night in Padres history, Joe Musgrove brought this one home for San Diego and really stuck it to the New York Mets. The big right-hander brushed off chants of “Cheater!” after a bizarre spot check by umpires on the mound, pitching...
Baseball Crowds Were Bigger,
but Not at Pre-Pandemic Levels
Oct 7, 2022 2:15 PM CDT
Baseball Crowds Were Bigger, but Not at Pre-Pandemic Levels
More than 64M fans went to games this season
- Even with home run chases by Aaron Judge and Albert Pujols, Major League Baseball wasn't able to coax fans to ballparks at pre-pandemic levels this season, though attendance did jump substantially from the COVID-affected campaign in 2021. The 30 MLB teams drew nearly 64.6 million fans for the...
Fan Who Caught Judge's
HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Oct 6, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Fan Who Caught Judge's HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Calif. auction house owner says he's willing to pay Cory Youmans $2M for the record-setting ball
- The fan who caught the ball from Aaron Judge's 62nd home run of the season—a slam that propelled the 30-year-old slugger for the New York Yankees into the record books, breaking Roger Maris' number for most home runs in a season for the American League—has a big...
Team Starts Historic Lineup
on Roberto Clemente Day
Sep 15, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
Team Starts Historic Lineup on Roberto Clemente Day
The late Hall of Famer is honored across baseball
- The Tampa Bay Rays made major league history on Thursday by starting nine Latin American players against the Toronto Blue Jays. It happened as baseball celebrated Roberto Clemente Day, honoring the late Hall of Fame outfielder from Puerto Rico. Clemente played 18 seasons with Pittsburgh, per the AP , winning four...
Is Killed in Crash
Sep 12, 2022 7:02 AM CDT
Pitcher-Turned-Cop Is Killed in Crash
Port Authority officer Anthony Varvaro was headed to 9/11 ceremony
- He pitched in the major leagues, then took the unusual career path of becoming a police officer. Now 37-year-old Anthony Varvaro is dead following a duty-related car crash, reports ABC7 . Varvaro, an officer with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, was on his way to the World...
MLB Union Objects
to New Rules Adding
Clock, Limiting Shifts
Sep 11, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
MLB Union Objects to New Rules Adding Clock, Limiting Shifts
Also coming next season: larger bases
- Fans who disapprove of Major League Baseball's decision to have a clock govern the game for the first time can take comfort in the fact that the players union is unhappy, too. The sport's Competition Committee approved three rule changes on Friday, including adding a pitch clock. Afterward,...
Hot Streak Puts
Aug 21, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Hot Streak Puts Homer Milestone in Reach
Albert Pujols may hit 700th home run before retiring after all
- Conventional baseball wisdom suggested Albert Pujols would end this season, his last, just short of 700 home runs—painfully shy of joining the group that numbers only Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, and Babe Ruth. That script is being rewritten, Bob Nightengale writes in
. After hitting five home runs...
MLB Player Who Dropped
Phone Faces Fine, Suspension
Aug 16, 2022 7:19 PM CDT
MLB Player Who Dropped Phone Faces Fine, Suspension
Pittsburgh Pirates' Rodolfo Castro is appealing the decision
: Pittsburgh Pirates second baseman Rodolfo Castro has been hit with a one-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for having a iPhone in his pocket during a game last week, a violation of the league's strict ban on electronic devices on the field. The suspension would have kept him...
Shakes Up MLB
Aug 13, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
Star's Suspension Shakes Up MLB
Tatis is out till next year after testing positive for performance-enhancing substance
- The San Diego Padres had just cleaned out their farm system for trades to build a team capable of reaching the World Series. The biggest addition, just before the trade deadline last week, was Juan Soto, an outfielder who's one of the biggest stars in the game. They already...
Mike Trout Has
Rare Back Issue
Jul 28, 2022 4:41 PM CDT
Mike Trout Has Rare Back Issue
'My career isn't over,' 3-time MVP says after diagnosis
- Mike Trout, the Los Angeles Angels' star centerfielder and three-time league MVP who's considered by many to be among the best players in baseball, has developed a rare back condition that could limit him for the rest of his career. The condition is called costovertebral dysfunction at T5, CNN...
This Year's All-Star Game
Features a Rare Pairing
Jul 12, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
This Year's All-Star Game Features a Rare Pairing
2 brothers, the Contrerases, will start for the National League
- When Major League Baseball plays its annual All-Star Game on July 19, the National League's starting roster will feature a rare thing: two brothers. Willson Contreras of the Chicago Cubs is the catcher, while younger brother William Contreras of the Atlanta Braves is the team's designated hitter, reports...
Keep Quiet if You
Jul 7, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Ballplayer's COVID Lesson: Keep Quiet if You Have Symptoms
Mets pitcher went on the list after a positive test but insists, 'I was never sick'
- New York Mets pitcher Chris Bassitt said Thursday that he "probably won't" inform team and Major League Baseball officials if he feels COVID-19 symptoms in the future. MLB should “just stop testing,” he said, the AP reports. Bassitt was placed on the COVID-19 list on July...
Takes a Stand
May 28, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
SF Giants Manager Takes a Stand After Uvalde
Gabe Kapler: I won't come out for national anthem till 'I feel ... better about the direction of our country'
- In the wake of the Uvalde mass shooting , the sports world is weighing in. Now joining Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr , the Miami Heat , and the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays in speaking out is San Francisco Giants manager Gabe Kapler, who says he's not going...
During MLB Matchup, a
Most Unusual Twitter Stream
May 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
During MLB Matchup, a Most Unusual Twitter Stream
During Thursday's game between Yankees, Rays, teams live-tweeted stats on gun violence
- MLB fans looking to keep up with the game Thursday night between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays got quite the surprise when they logged on to Twitter. Instead of stats and play-by-plays, the two teams instead used their accounts to tweet out facts on gun violence. In...
May 26, 2022 6:17 PM CDT
Yankees Player Broadens His Apology
Josh Donaldson tells Rachel Robinson he holds her Hall of Famer husband 'in the highest regard'
: Josh Donaldson, the Yankees player suspended by Major League Baseball after addressing an opponent as "Jackie," has apologized to Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson's family. In a statement issued Thursday, CBS Sports reports, Donaldson reiterated that he had meant no disrespect and had already apologized to...
Reporter Hit by
'95MPH Line Drive'
May 20, 2022 7:32 AM CDT
Reporter Hit by '95MPH Line Drive' Is Recovering
Kelsey Wingert was hit in the head while covering Colorado Rockies game
- Colorado Rockies TV reporter Kelsey Wingert says she is recovering after a foul ball hit her in the head during Monday's game in Denver. "I took a 95 MPH line drive to my head," she tweeted Wednesday night, sharing a photo of her stitches. The 29-year-old, who...
Padres Are First MLB Team
to Reach a Uniform Ad Deal
Apr 19, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Padres Are First MLB Team to Reach a Uniform Ad Deal
They'll be wearing Motorola patches next season
- There will be a new pitch on Major League Baseball fields next season. The San Diego Padres became the first team to announce a deal for ads on their uniforms, saying Tuesday that patches with a Motorola logo will be worn on the right sleeves of their jerseys. The March...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.