Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Charcoal: Essential for Survival,
Devastating for Environment
Jul 17, 2022 1:28 PM CDT
Charcoal: Essential for Survival, Devastating for Environment
The need for fuel is helping to destroy the world’s second-largest rainforest
- The Democratic Republic of Congo is one of Africa's poorest and most populous nations, with nearly 90 million people, all of whom—like other humans—need to eat. But only 17% have access to electricity, and gas-burning stoves are a luxury. That leaves charcoal as the staple fuel for...
Report on 'Virgin' Forests
Offers Bleak News
May 1, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
Report on 'Virgin' Forests Offers Bleak News
Deforestation is continuing at a rapid pace
- Global deforestation continued at an alarming pace in 2021, according to an annual report released by the World Resources Institute. A total of 43,000 square miles of forest were lost, of which about a third occurred in primary or “virgin” tropical forests. Per CNN, that means primary forests...
This Photo Shows What's
Happening in the Amazon
Apr 13, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
This Photo Shows What's Happening in the Amazon
Deforestation in Q1 hits record
- The deforestation of the Amazon rainforest has been tracked since 2015 by Brazil's National Institute for Space Research (INPE). An INPE report out Friday says the numbers recorded in the first quarter of this year were the worst yet. CNN reports 363 square miles, an area just about the...
Romania's Trees Are Coveted,
Sometimes Dangerously So
Mar 20, 2022 3:10 PM CDT
Romania's Trees Are Coveted, Sometimes Dangerously So
Loggers in Romania wage bloody campaign to secure the last of Europe's old-growth forests
- Alexander Sammon's gripping piece on threats to one of the biggest remaining old-growth forests in the world—it's in Romania—for the
begins with a disturbing story about logging thugs who smash a documentary film crew’s equipment and nearly kill an activist. It's even...
Feb 12, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Amazon Deforestation Sets Record
Brazil's government promised to do better, but polices remain, experts say
- "There is a race to deforest the Amazon," said a researcher at Brazil's Federal University of Minas Gerais. It's becoming clearer that the Amazon is the loser. Trees in the Brazilian Amazon were cut down in an area five times the size of the deforested land...
at Edge of Forest
Nov 15, 2021 7:55 PM CST
Scientists: Expect Next Pandemic at Edge of Forest
Deforestation contributes to favorable conditions for an outbreak
- There will be more pandemics, scientists say. They don't know when the next one will begin, but they have a rough idea of where. Places where humans are moving into untouched habitats, such as the edge of the Amazon rainforest, have all the ingredients of an outbreak, the
Amazon Rainforest Plots
Are Being Sold on Facebook
Feb 26, 2021 10:13 AM CST
Amazon Rainforest Plots Are Being Sold on Facebook
BBC investigation finds illegally cleared land available on Facebook Marketplace
- "Enabling deforestation in the Amazon" can be added to the list of Facebook's misdeeds, according to a BBC investigation. The broadcaster says many plots of illegally deforested land in the Brazilian rainforest can be found for sale via Facebook Marketplace—and some of the sellers who spoke to...
Over Latest Amazon Data
Nov 19, 2019 12:46 PM CST
Environmentalists Alarmed Over Latest Amazon Data
Deforestation is at an 11-year high, Brazil says
- Environmentalists are ringing alarm bells after Brazil released its latest data on the Amazon rainforest, CNN reports. According to the government, the rainforest lost nearly 3,800 square miles over 12 months through July 2019, marking an 11-year high in deforestation and a 29.5% increase over the year before....
500-Mile Trek for Environment
Has Unusual Twist
Jul 24, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
500-Mile Trek for Environment Has Unusual Twist
Indonesia's Medi Bastoni will be doing it backward, with the help of a rearview mirror
- He's walking backward for a month in the hope of moving forward with forest conservation. The
has the story of Medi Bastoni, an Indonesian man who set out Thursday to walk 500 miles in reverse from his village of Dono in East Java to the State Palace in...
Iceland Trying to Undo
What the Vikings Did
Jul 17, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
Iceland Trying to Undo What the Vikings Did
The reforestation effort is a slow-moving one
- That Iceland is the most lightly forested country in all of Europe is the doing of man, not nature—long-since-deceased man. The AFP reports more than 25% of the island was covered in trees, mostly birch, when the Vikings reached its shores in the late 800s. A century later, only...
Brazil Is Aiding in
Jul 2, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
Whistleblower: Brazil Is Aiding in Amazon's Destruction
About 2.5 acres of rainforest are destroyed every minute
- "It feels like we are the enemies of the Amazon." That's according to a senior environmental official in Brazil, where satellite images show a chunk of Amazon rainforest the size of a soccer field is being destroyed every minute. Speaking anonymously to the BBC , the official describes...
8 Bird Species Fall Victim to
'Growing Wave of Extinctions'
Sep 5, 2018 3:33 PM CDT
8 Bird Species Fall Victim to 'Growing Wave of Extinctions'
Habitat loss via deforestation among issues: study
- Eight bird species, including the Brazilian blue parrot featured in 2011 animated flick
, make up the first confirmed avian extinctions this decade. The Spix's macaw (the species of the
characters Blu and Jewel ) hasn't been seen in the wild since 2000, as a 2016 sighting...
Amazon's Deforested Areas
Could See 73M New Trees
Nov 7, 2017 10:56 AM CST
Amazon's Deforested Areas Could See 73M New Trees
Seeding effort aims to restore 74,000 acres of rainforest
- The Amazon rainforest's "arc of deforestation" could soon have 73 million new trees. In an effort to reseed 74,000 acres of the Amazon—20% of which has been destroyed in the last 40 years—Conservation International, the World Bank, Brazil's environmental ministry, and several other groups...
Inevitable Finally Happens:
NYC Gets Avocado Bar
Apr 5, 2017 12:07 PM CDT
Inevitable Finally Happens: NYC Gets Avocado Bar
'Painfully trendy' fruit will be featured in all the menu items
- If you like to put avocado on just about everything, you're in luck—if you can make it to Brooklyn, at least. Three friends from Italy are opening Avocaderia, what they call the world's first avocado bar. (A Food & Wine blogger thinks the folks behind one already...
Drones Find Hundreds
Spots in Amazon
Feb 7, 2017 8:34 AM CST
Drones Find Hundreds of Stonehenge-Like Spots in Amazon
More than 450 'geoglyphs' date from around the year 0
- Scientists flying drones over the Amazon rainforest in Brazil have found more than 450 "geoglyphs" that are similar in size, structure, and possibly purpose to Stonehenge in England. The earthworks were likely used for public gatherings and rituals, researchers report in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
Primate Study Finds It's
'Worse Than We Thought'
Jan 20, 2017 7:13 AM CST
Primate Study Finds It's 'Worse Than We Thought'
75% are in decline, 60% at risk of extinction
- "It's worse than we thought 10 years ago," a researcher says following a "landmark" study on the world's primates that found many could go extinct in the next 50 years. Primatologists studied every primate species—all 504 of them—and found 75% are in decline,...
Mexico's Avocado Boom
Drives a Forest Bust
Nov 1, 2016 1:40 PM CDT
Mexico's Avocado Boom Drives a Forest Bust
Farmers are rapidly expanding orchards, clearing trees at much faster clip than thought
- Your guacamole is taking a toll south of the border in the form of higher-than-thought deforestation as Mexican avocado orchards expand rapidly, reports the AP . Talia Coria, an official in the attorney general's office for environmental protection, said almost 50,000 acres of forest are converted to agricultural use...
An Entire Country
Jun 8, 2016 1:10 PM CDT
An Entire Country Just Banned Deforestation
Norway to stop buying products that contribute to clear-cutting
- Norway just became the world's biggest tree-hugger. The
reports the European country is the first in the world to ban deforestation, following a pledge by its parliament. That means the Norwegian government won't purchase anything that contributes to the destruction of the world's rainforests, especially beef,...
Since 1990, We've Erased a Forest Twice as Big as Texas
Sep 8, 2015 1:20 PM CDT
Since 1990, We've Erased a Forest Twice as Big as Texas
Still, UN report finds rate of forest loss has improved over 25 years
- There are positives and negatives to grasp from a new report on forest loss from the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization. The good news: The rate of deforestation worldwide has been halved over the last 25 years. The bad news: We lost 500,000 square miles of forest—an...
Earth Has Just 2
Giant Forests Left
Mar 24, 2015 10:40 AM CDT
Earth Has Just 2 Giant Forests Left
The only 2 unfragmented forest habitats are the Amazon, Congo
- To see the Earth's ecology forest for its trees, first we have to acknowledge there aren't many large, intact forests around. In fact, according to a new study published in
, there are only two such continuous forests left: in South America and Africa,
Christian Science Monitor
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Former Cowboys Player Dies in Climbing Accident
Florida Woman Went to Extremes to Keep Paralyzed Spouse Alive
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.