Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Measles, Polio Vaccinations
Drop for Kindergartners
Jan 12, 2023 7:25 PM CST
Measles, Polio Vaccinations Drop for Kindergartners
Risk for everyone from diseases that were under control increases, health officials say
- The percentage of kindergartners receiving the routine host of vaccinations for diseases such as measles and polio—those for which shots were standard well before COVID-19 arrived—has declined, worrying health experts. In the 2021-22 school year, about 93% of kindergartners had been immunized for measles, mumps and rubella; diphtheria,...
Another Tennis Star Has
Apparent Vaccine Troubles
Jan 9, 2023 10:20 AM CST
Another Tennis Star Has Apparent Vaccine Troubles
Italy's Camila Giorgi is accused of having fake vaccination certificate on eve of Australian Open
- Around this same time last year, Australia was booting Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic out of the country, prohibiting him from competing in the Australian Open due to his lack of COVID vaccination. Now, right before this year's tennis tourney Down Under, a similar controversy is bubbling up involving...
Dec 17, 2022 12:47 PM CST
Teacher Who Gave Teen Vaccine Shot Avoids Prison
Laura Russo pleads guilty to lesser charge
- A high school teacher fired after being accused of injecting a teenager with a coronavirus vaccine without his parents knowing has avoided a prison sentence. Laura Russo pleaded guilty Friday to a misdemeanor count of attempting the unauthorized practice of medicine in court in Mineola, New York. She also entered...
Parents Lose Fight
to Keep Baby From
Getting Vaccinated Blood
Dec 7, 2022 8:08 AM CST
Parents Lose Fight to Keep Baby From Getting Vaccinated Blood
New Zealand's health service granted temporary medical custody
- A 4-month-old boy in need of heart surgery was on Wednesday ordered into the temporary medical custody of health officials by a New Zealand court, in a contentious case that has attracted international press. His parents have refused to proceed with the surgery unless their son only be given blood...
Coming Soon to Americans'
Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
Aug 31, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Coming Soon to Americans' Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
This one also targets omicron versions BA.4 and BA.5
- The US on Wednesday authorized its first update to COVID-19 vaccines, booster doses that target today's most common omicron strain. Shots could begin within days. The move by the FDA tweaks the recipe of shots made by Pfizer and rival Moderna. Until now, COVID-19 vaccines have targeted the original...
They Claimed 'New World Order'
on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Aug 31, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
They Claimed 'New World Order' on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Anti-vaxxers fueled by conspiracy theories must pay Aussie federal, state gov'ts $150K in legal fees
- Every Australian state except for one, as well as one territory and the nation's federal government, is set to recoup tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees after a federal judge ruled against an anti-vaxxer group, saying the members had failed to prove their claims that COVID mandates...
Critics Fault Facebook Move
on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Aug 19, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Critics Fault Facebook Move on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Children's Health Defense anti-vax nonprofit also booted off Instagram
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has already been personally kicked off of Instagram. Now the social media platform—along with Facebook, also owned by Meta—has booted Kennedy's nonprofit, too, for repeatedly breaching rules on spreading misinformation about COVID-19, vaccines, and other pandemic health measures. The two platforms this week...
Among America's Youngest,
a COVID Vaccine 'Logjam'
Aug 8, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Among America's Youngest, a COVID Vaccine 'Logjam'
Just 4% to 5% of kids have gotten their shots; pediatricians are now trying to break the 'logjam'
- Nearly two months ago, the CDC recommended that all kids from 6 months old up to 5 years—more than 17 million children across the nation—get vaccinated against COVID-19, guidance echoed by the American Medical Association . But since June 18, when the CDC gave the official OK for children...
WH Officials: There's No
Money for 4th Doses for All
Mar 23, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
WH Officials: There's No Money for 4th Doses for All
...unless Congress approves $15B in emergency funding for COVID response
- If you're 65 and older and awaiting your second COVID booster shot, or have kids under 5 who you hope can soon receive their initial vaccine, administration officials tell the
enough doses at the ready for when those approvals come in. For everyone else, though,...
Feb 17, 2022 11:14 AM CST
Report: MyPillow CEO Couldn't Enter Canada With Pillows
After truck with 10K pillows refused entry, Mike Lindell says he'll drop them by parachute
- It started with an announcement over the weekend. "All of our employees are busy making pillows right now for the truckers in Canada," MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell declared on Saturday, relaying his plans to try to get his company's wares through to those protesting anti-vaccine mandates and...
Feb 15, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Djokovic: I'll Scrap Wimbledon Over Forced Vaccination
World's No. 1 men's tennis player says he'd give up future titles: 'That is the price that I'm willing to pay'
- Novak Djokovic's Aussie saga has passed, but a month after his deportation after showing up unvaccinated to play in the Australian Open, the Serbian tennis star says he'd give up future trophies rather than undergo forced vaccination. "Yes, that is the price that I'm willing to...
As Canada's Truckers Fight
Vax Mandate, Musk Picks Sides
Jan 28, 2022 1:18 PM CST
As Canada's Truckers Fight Vax Mandate, Musk Picks Sides
'Canadian truckers rule' was Tesla CEO's tweet as drivers headed to Ottawa protest
- Elon Musk has been inserting himself lately into conversations about crypto , but the Tesla and SpaceX CEO shifted gears late in the week to lend support to an entirely different cause. "Canadian truckers rule" was his thumbs-up tweet Thursday, directed toward big-rig drivers headed toward Ottawa for an anti-vaccine...
Spotify Says It's
Taking Down All
Neil Young's Music
Jan 26, 2022 5:57 PM CST
Spotify Says It's Taking Down All Neil Young's Music
Rocker wanted it pulled to protest Joe Rogan's COVID misinformation
: Spotify says it is removing Neil Young's music from its platform as per his request. The rocker said Monday that he wanted his music pulled to protest Joe Rogan's podcast and other COVID misinformation on Spotify. "We regret Neil’s decision to remove his music from...
After Health Official's
Fla. DOH Takes Action
Jan 19, 2022 7:51 AM CST
After Health Official's Vaccination Email, Fla. DOH Takes Action
Dr. Raul Pino, Orange County's health chief, put on leave after encouraging staffers to get vaccinated
- Throughout the pandemic, Florida's Dr. Raul Pino has been the public face for Orange County's Department of Health, appearing during news briefings to offer updates on case numbers and vaccinations. The county health director may not be on camera for a while, though: The state DOH announced Pino...
'Lot of Infections'
From Omicron After
4th Dose: Trial
Jan 18, 2022 7:27 AM CST
'Lot of Infections' From Omicron After 4th Dose: Trial
In preliminary study from Israel, the first of its kind, antibodies rise after 2nd booster, infections persist
- Preliminary results are in on a clinical trial testing the efficacy of a fourth COVID shot, the world's first, and when it comes to omicron, that booster isn't doing the job researchers had hoped for. The
Times of Israel
reports that, in a study that began last month...
New Details Emerge in
Djokovic's Detention Case
Jan 8, 2022 6:00 AM CST
New Details Emerge in Djokovic's Detention Case
Serbian tennis star, facing deportation in Australia, had COVID last month, lawyers say in court filing
- The mystery of whether or not Novak Djokovic has actually received the coronavirus vaccine has now been cleared up, and we now also know more about his experiences with COVID. On Saturday, his lawyers submitted court documents that revealed the 34-year-old Serbian tennis star had had COVID in December and...
FDA: Fine to Get Booster
After Just 5 Months
Jan 3, 2022 9:35 AM CST
FDA: Fine to Get Booster After Just 5 Months
It also now recommends boosters for kids 12 to 15
- The US is expanding COVID-19 boosters as it confronts the omicron surge, with the FDA allowing extra Pfizer shots for children as young as 12. Boosters already are recommended for everyone 16 and older, and federal regulators on Monday decided they're also warranted for 12- to 15-year-olds once enough...
Trump: I Got My Booster
Dec 20, 2021 12:21 PM CST
Trump: I Got My Booster
Remark is met with some booing at event with Bill O'Reilly
- Only about one-third of the US population has received a COVID booster shot, notes the
, but one of the recipients has a particularly high profile. Donald Trump said Sunday that he received his third shot, reports
. The reveal came during a public forum with former Fox anchor...
on COVID: 'Help'
Dec 20, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Ohio Hospitals' One-Word Plea on COVID: 'Help'
Medical centers in Cleveland area, Minnesota beg people to get vaxxed in major newspaper ads
- One word dominates a full-page advertisement that appeared in Sunday's
, Ohio's biggest newspaper. "Help," reads the bold-font plea, surrounded by white space, smack in the middle of the ad placed by the heads of six of the Cleveland area's medical facilities to try...
Nets to Let Irving, Still
Unvaxxed, Play in Some Games
Dec 18, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Nets to Let Irving, Still Unvaxxed, Play in Some Games
'We arrived at this decision with the full support of our players,' says GM Sean Marks
Unless Kyrie Irving decides to get vaxxed, you won't be seeing him play for the Nets in Brooklyn anytime soon. You will, however, be able to catch him on the road in certain away games, after the NBA team announced Friday they'd be bringing their All-Star guard...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, a Hefty Fine
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.