Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Share of Kindergartners
Exempt From Vaccination Rises
Nov 9, 2023 3:58 PM CST
Share of Kindergartners Exempt From Vaccination Rises
Nonmedical reasons push overall rate to 3%, the highest recorded
- The proportion of US kindergartners exempted from school vaccination requirements has hit its highest level ever, 3%, health officials said Thursday. More parents are questioning routine childhood vaccinations that they used to automatically accept, an effect of the political schism that emerged during the pandemic around COVID-19 vaccines, experts say....
Experts: Numbers on Updated
COVID Shots Are 'Abysmal'
Oct 27, 2023 12:26 PM CDT
Experts: Numbers on Updated COVID Shots Are 'Abysmal'
Per CDC, only 7% of adults, 2% of children have received most recent coronavirus vaccine
- A month after federal officials recommended new versions of COVID-19 vaccines, 7% of US adults and 2% of children have gotten a shot. One expert called the rates "abysmal," per the AP . The numbers, presented Thursday at a meeting held by the CDC, come from a national survey...
Law Would Jail Parents Whose
Children Aren't Vaccinated
Oct 1, 2023 11:25 AM CDT
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Skepticism in Pakistan has turned violent
- Authorities in one Pakistan province are turning to a contentious new tactic in the decades-long initiative to wipe out polio: prison. Last month, the government in Sindh introduced a bill, now in the final stages of becoming law, that would imprison parents for up to one month if they fail...
Updated COVID Shots Part
of Plan to Avoid 'Tripledemic'
Sep 9, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Updated COVID Shots Part of Plan to Avoid 'Tripledemic'
Approval of updated vaccines expected within days, just in time for flu and RSV season
- Updated COVID-19 vaccines are coming soon, just in time to pair them with flu shots. Doctors hope enough people get vaccinated to help avert another "tripledemic" like last year, when hospitals were overwhelmed with an early flu season, an onslaught of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and yet another winter...
Foxx Reps Say Vax Claim
Isn't True, Yet It Just Won't Die
Jun 8, 2023 8:08 AM CDT
Foxx Reps Say Vax Claim Isn't True, Yet It Just Won't Die
Rumor that actor's mystery condition was caused by COVID vaccine continues to spread online
- What's going on with Jamie Foxx's health is still largely a mystery —even an upbeat update from his daughter didn't provide many details—but one thing fans can now rule out is that he suffered medical complications from the COVID vaccine. That's according to reps...
World No. 1
Pulls Out of
Mar 18, 2023 3:20 PM CDT
Unvaccinated World No. 1 Pulls Out of US Tourneys
Djokovic is denied travel exception, but US Open has hope he'll play in August
- The top-ranked tennis player in the world has given up hope on being allowed to enter the US soon, withdrawing from two tournaments. Novak Djokovic, 35, has not received a COVID-19 vaccination. So under US policy, he cannot compete in a tournament going on now in Indian Wells, California, or...
Measles, Polio Vaccinations
Drop for Kindergartners
Jan 12, 2023 7:25 PM CST
Measles, Polio Vaccinations Drop for Kindergartners
Risk for everyone from diseases that were under control increases, health officials say
- The percentage of kindergartners receiving the routine host of vaccinations for diseases such as measles and polio—those for which shots were standard well before COVID-19 arrived—has declined, worrying health experts. In the 2021-22 school year, about 93% of kindergartners had been immunized for measles, mumps and rubella; diphtheria,...
Another Tennis Star Has
Apparent Vaccine Troubles
Jan 9, 2023 10:20 AM CST
Another Tennis Star Has Apparent Vaccine Troubles
Italy's Camila Giorgi is accused of having fake vaccination certificate on eve of Australian Open
- Around this same time last year, Australia was booting Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic out of the country, prohibiting him from competing in the Australian Open due to his lack of COVID vaccination. Now, right before this year's tennis tourney Down Under, a similar controversy is bubbling up involving...
Dec 17, 2022 12:47 PM CST
Teacher Who Gave Teen Vaccine Shot Avoids Prison
Laura Russo pleads guilty to lesser charge
- A high school teacher fired after being accused of injecting a teenager with a coronavirus vaccine without his parents knowing has avoided a prison sentence. Laura Russo pleaded guilty Friday to a misdemeanor count of attempting the unauthorized practice of medicine in court in Mineola, New York. She also entered...
Parents Lose Fight
to Keep Baby From
Getting Vaccinated Blood
Dec 7, 2022 8:08 AM CST
Parents Lose Fight to Keep Baby From Getting Vaccinated Blood
New Zealand's health service granted temporary medical custody
- A 4-month-old boy in need of heart surgery was on Wednesday ordered into the temporary medical custody of health officials by a New Zealand court, in a contentious case that has attracted international press. His parents have refused to proceed with the surgery unless their son only be given blood...
Coming Soon to Americans'
Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
Aug 31, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Coming Soon to Americans' Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
This one also targets omicron versions BA.4 and BA.5
- The US on Wednesday authorized its first update to COVID-19 vaccines, booster doses that target today's most common omicron strain. Shots could begin within days. The move by the FDA tweaks the recipe of shots made by Pfizer and rival Moderna. Until now, COVID-19 vaccines have targeted the original...
They Claimed 'New World Order'
on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Aug 31, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
They Claimed 'New World Order' on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Anti-vaxxers fueled by conspiracy theories must pay Aussie federal, state gov'ts $150K in legal fees
- Every Australian state except for one, as well as one territory and the nation's federal government, is set to recoup tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees after a federal judge ruled against an anti-vaxxer group, saying the members had failed to prove their claims that COVID mandates...
Critics Fault Facebook Move
on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Aug 19, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Critics Fault Facebook Move on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Children's Health Defense anti-vax nonprofit also booted off Instagram
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has already been personally kicked off of Instagram. Now the social media platform—along with Facebook, also owned by Meta—has booted Kennedy's nonprofit, too, for repeatedly breaching rules on spreading misinformation about COVID-19, vaccines, and other pandemic health measures. The two platforms this week...
Among America's Youngest,
a COVID Vaccine 'Logjam'
Aug 8, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Among America's Youngest, a COVID Vaccine 'Logjam'
Just 4% to 5% of kids have gotten their shots; pediatricians are now trying to break the 'logjam'
- Nearly two months ago, the CDC recommended that all kids from 6 months old up to 5 years—more than 17 million children across the nation—get vaccinated against COVID-19, guidance echoed by the American Medical Association . But since June 18, when the CDC gave the official OK for children...
WH Officials: There's No
Money for 4th Doses for All
Mar 23, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
WH Officials: There's No Money for 4th Doses for All
...unless Congress approves $15B in emergency funding for COVID response
- If you're 65 and older and awaiting your second COVID booster shot, or have kids under 5 who you hope can soon receive their initial vaccine, administration officials tell the
enough doses at the ready for when those approvals come in. For everyone else, though,...
Feb 17, 2022 11:14 AM CST
Report: MyPillow CEO Couldn't Enter Canada With Pillows
After truck with 10K pillows refused entry, Mike Lindell says he'll drop them by parachute
- It started with an announcement over the weekend. "All of our employees are busy making pillows right now for the truckers in Canada," MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell declared on Saturday, relaying his plans to try to get his company's wares through to those protesting anti-vaccine mandates and...
Feb 15, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Djokovic: I'll Scrap Wimbledon Over Forced Vaccination
World's No. 1 men's tennis player says he'd give up future titles: 'That is the price that I'm willing to pay'
- Novak Djokovic's Aussie saga has passed, but a month after his deportation after showing up unvaccinated to play in the Australian Open, the Serbian tennis star says he'd give up future trophies rather than undergo forced vaccination. "Yes, that is the price that I'm willing to...
As Canada's Truckers Fight
Vax Mandate, Musk Picks Sides
Jan 28, 2022 1:18 PM CST
As Canada's Truckers Fight Vax Mandate, Musk Picks Sides
'Canadian truckers rule' was Tesla CEO's tweet as drivers headed to Ottawa protest
- Elon Musk has been inserting himself lately into conversations about crypto , but the Tesla and SpaceX CEO shifted gears late in the week to lend support to an entirely different cause. "Canadian truckers rule" was his thumbs-up tweet Thursday, directed toward big-rig drivers headed toward Ottawa for an anti-vaccine...
Spotify Says It's
Taking Down All
Neil Young's Music
Jan 26, 2022 5:57 PM CST
Spotify Says It's Taking Down All Neil Young's Music
Rocker wanted it pulled to protest Joe Rogan's COVID misinformation
: Spotify says it is removing Neil Young's music from its platform as per his request. The rocker said Monday that he wanted his music pulled to protest Joe Rogan's podcast and other COVID misinformation on Spotify. "We regret Neil’s decision to remove his music from...
After Health Official's
Fla. DOH Takes Action
Jan 19, 2022 7:51 AM CST
After Health Official's Vaccination Email, Fla. DOH Takes Action
Dr. Raul Pino, Orange County's health chief, put on leave after encouraging staffers to get vaccinated
- Throughout the pandemic, Florida's Dr. Raul Pino has been the public face for Orange County's Department of Health, appearing during news briefings to offer updates on case numbers and vaccinations. The county health director may not be on camera for a while, though: The state DOH announced Pino...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
Doritos Caters to Gamers With Crunch-Silencing App
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.