Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Taiwan's Military to Get
Giant Boost From Billionaire
Sep 2, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
Taiwan's Military to Get Giant Boost From Billionaire
Robert Tsao says he'll fund training of 3.3 million civilian 'warriors' in 3 years
- A Taiwanese tycoon says he's donating a billion Taiwan dollars, or about $32 million, to train an army to fight against a Chinese invasion. Wearing a bulletproof vest and helmet to signify what he said was a growing threat to Taiwan from the Chinese Communist Party, Robert Tsao—founder...
China Fumes Over US'
Latest Move on Taiwan
Aug 18, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
China Fumes Over US' Latest Move on Taiwan
Country says it 'firmly opposes' formal trade talks
- The US government will hold trade talks with Taiwan in a sign of support for the island democracy that China claims as its own territory, prompting Beijing to warn Thursday it will take action if necessary to "safeguard its sovereignty." Chinese President Xi Jinping's government criticized the...
Another Company Tells
China It's Sorry, Twice
Aug 6, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Another Company Tells China It's Sorry, Twice
Online Snickers video had listed Taiwan as a nation
- The maker of Snickers candy bars apologized to China for implying Taiwan is a country, then apologized again. Some in China still aren't satisfied, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. The reference was in a video posted on social media that seemed to be promoting an online event with BTS,...
China Encircles Taiwan
With Massive Military Drills
Aug 4, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
China Encircles Taiwan With Massive Military Drills
Tensions soar after Pelosi departs island
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has departed Taiwan —and China has launched what are believed to be its biggest-ever military drills around the island, which it has long vowed to reunify with the mainland, by force if necessary. For the first time since 1996, China has fired missiles into waters...
Pelosi Heads Out of Taiwan
Aug 3, 2022 6:24 AM CDT
Pelosi Heads Out of Taiwan
Next stop for the House Speaker is South Korea
- US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi departed Taiwan on Wednesday evening for South Korea after a visit that heightened tensions with China , saying she and other members of Congress in her delegation showed they will not abandon their commitment to the self-governing island. "Today the world faces a choice between...
Pelosi Explains Reason
for Her Taiwan Visit
Aug 2, 2022 12:18 PM CDT
Pelosi Explains Reason for Her Taiwan Visit
'America’s solidarity with Taiwan is more important today than ever'
- Just minutes after Nancy Pelosi touched down in Taiwan, a piece she wrote for the
went live. Titled "Why I'm leading a congressional delegation to Taiwan," Pelosi quite simply explains that very thing. Some key lines:
"In the face of the Chinese Communist Party’
in Case Pelosi
Does Go to
Jul 27, 2022 7:17 AM CDT
Pentagon Prepping in Case Pelosi Does Go to Taiwan
Trip isn't confirmed, but US military is developing plans for any contingency
- US officials say they have little fear that China would attack Nancy Pelosi’s plane if she flies to Taiwan. But the US House speaker would be entering one of the world’s hottest spots, where a mishap, misstep, or misunderstanding could endanger her safety. So the Pentagon is developing...
Jun 11, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
US, China Exchange Warnings on Taiwan
Austin meets defense minister at forum in Singapore
- Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin stressed American support for Taiwan on Saturday, suggesting at Asia's premier defense forum that recent Chinese military activity around the self-governing island threatens to change the status quo. Speaking at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, Austin noted a "steady increase in provocative and...
Eye on Ukraine,
Make a Move
Jun 2, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
Eye on Ukraine, Taiwanese Make a Move
Citizens who've never handled firearms are increasingly taking lessons in handling airsoft guns
- China has scoffed at comparisons of itself and Taiwan to the Russian invasion of Ukraine . But that hasn't eased the fears of Taiwanese residents, who are now taking a step many never expected: getting firearms training. Although gun ownership is strongly regulated in Taiwan, people who've never picked...
Biden Ready to
China Not Happy
May 23, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Biden Ready to Defend Taiwan; China Not Happy
President says US would defend Taiwan with force if there were ever an attack against it
- The United States is on board with the "one China" policy —meaning that, in regard to Taiwan, it acknowledges formal ties to China instead. But the American government doesn't endorse China's views that it effectively owns Taiwan, and the US enjoys a "robust" unofficial relationship...
Take on Taiwan:
It Is 'Not Ukraine'
Feb 23, 2022 8:38 AM CST
China's Latest Take on Taiwan: It Is 'Not Ukraine'
But comparisons between the 2 geopolitical conflicts are nervously being noted
- The world is currently hyperfocused on tensions between Russia and Ukraine , but some eyes are starting to turn to another geopolitical tussle: that between Taiwan and China, with the latter scoffing at any comparisons made between the two conflicts. The
New York Times
reports that Tsai Ing-wen, the president of...
Murder Suspect Snagged
in Hotel Quarantine
Nov 26, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Murder Suspect Snagged in Hotel Quarantine
Taiwan requests China extradite man
- A murder suspect who fled from Taiwan to China may have made himself an easy target for authorities as he's now under a mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine. The few travelers admitted to China must spend at least 14 days in quarantine as part of efforts to combat the spread...
China Warns US After
Biden Remarks on Taiwan
Oct 22, 2021 7:48 AM CDT
China Warns US After Biden Remarks on Taiwan
Issue 'allows no foreign intervention,' Beijing official says
- China on Friday said there is "no room" for compromise or concessions on the issue of Taiwan, following a comment by President Biden that the US is committed to defending the island if it is attacked. In his comments at a CNN town hall, Biden said the US doesn'...
Taiwan Defense Chief:
China Could Soon Mount
Oct 6, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Taiwan Defense Chief: China Could Soon Mount 'Full-Scale' Invasion
Chiu Kuo-cheng says tensions are worst in 40 years
- After a weekend incursion of Chinese fighter jets into Taiwan's air defense zone, relations between the two states are—well, not great. In fact, Taiwan's defense chief on Wednesday said that military tensions with China are the "most serious" they've been in more than four decades,...
China Buzzes Taiwan Zone
With Scores of Military Aircraft
Oct 3, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
China Buzzes Taiwan Zone With Scores of Military Aircraft
US wants an end to the flights it calls concerning and provocative
- Scores of Chinese fighter jets have encroached on Taiwan's air defense zone in the past few days, an action threatening enough to cause the self-ruled island to scramble its own military aircraft. Taiwan reported 16 incursions on Sunday, 39 on Saturday, and 38 on Friday—the most ever, NBC...
John Cena Is Sorry
May 26, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
After Enduring China's Wrath, John Cena Is Sorry
He'd referred to Taiwan as a country in an interview
- "Taiwan is the first country to watch
Fast and Furious 9
," John Cena told a Taiwanese broadcaster this month. In doing so, he unleashed the wrath of China, which has threatened to annex the self-governed island it views as its own territory. Cena sought to rectify that on...
China Sends 25 Warplanes
Into Taiwan's Airspace
Apr 13, 2021 3:30 AM CDT
China Sends 25 Warplanes Into Taiwan's Airspace
Meanwhile, Taiwan launches amphibious transport ship
- Taiwan launched an amphibious transport ship Tuesday that's the first from its new naval shipbuilding program begun as China escalates its threats to use military force to annex the island it claims is its territory, the AP reports. President Tsai Ing-wen presided over the launching ceremony at a shipyard...
Sorry, China: Taiwan's
Jan 12, 2020 7:11 AM CST
Sorry, China: Taiwan's Leader Re-Elected
Warns China that 'Taiwan and our democratically elected government will never concede to threats'
- Tsai Ing-wen was reelected Taiwan's president by a landslide Saturday in a victory that signaled strong support for her tough stance against China among voters determined to defend their democratic way of life. Tsai, from the Democratic Progressive Party, soundly defeated Nationalist Party candidate Han Kuo-yu, receiving 57.2%...
Airlines Apparently Caving
to China's 'Orwellian Nonsense'
May 22, 2018 11:22 AM CDT
Airlines Apparently Caving to China's 'Orwellian Nonsense'
But major US airlines, including American, Delta, United, have not
- International airlines are obeying Beijing's demands to refer to Taiwan as a part of China, despite the White House's call this month to stand firm against "Orwellian nonsense." The AP found 20 carriers, including Air Canada, British Airways, and Lufthansa, now refer to Taiwan as a...
China Is Furious
About Bill Congress
Mar 2, 2018 6:24 AM CST
China Is Furious About Bill Congress Approved Unanimously
State-run media says Taiwan bill could trigger war
- A bill awaiting President Trump's signature has angered China so much that the state-run
warns it could trigger war over the island Beijing still considers a renegade province. The Taiwan Travel Act , which passed the Senate with unanimous consent Thursday and earlier passed the House without opposition,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.