Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Economists Expected Lousy
Jobs Report, Got the Opposite
Feb 4, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Economists Expected Lousy Jobs Report, Got the Opposite
Employers added 467K jobs in January, way above estimates
- Economists were expecting a lousy jobs report on Friday, but it came in much stronger than expected. Employers seem to have weathered the omicron surge in January better than anticipated. The numbers:
Employers added 467,000 jobs in January, the Labor Department reported. Estimates varied widely ahead of the
US Hiring Misfires
Jan 7, 2022 8:00 AM CST
US Hiring Misfires in December
Employers add fewer than 200K jobs, less than half of expectations
- The new monthly jobs figures are out for December, and they came in way under expectations. What's more, these stats are pulled from the first half of the month; in this case, that's before the omicron variant began surging in earnest, notes the AP .
Employers added 199,
Dec 13, 2021 4:13 PM CST
Behind Labor Shortage Are Health Issues
As pandemic patience wears thin, survey finds concerns keep people out of job market
- Pushing the economic levers available to the federal government might not be enough to solve the job market's problems. There's evidence that physical and mental health issues are a major cause of the nation's labor shortage, Axios reports. A survey of 5,000 Americans by McKinsey found...
New Jobs Report Is Out,
and It's Disappointing
Dec 3, 2021 8:07 AM CST
New Jobs Report Is Out, and It's Disappointing
Employers added 210K jobs, lower than expected, and that's before omicron
- Economists had high hopes about the new monthly jobs report, but those hopes fizzled when the stats came out Friday morning. Employers heartily missed expectations in regard to new hires. The details:
Employers added 210,000 jobs in November, well below expectations that were well north of 500,
Jobless Claims in US Plummet
to Lowest Level in 52 Years
Nov 24, 2021 8:05 AM CST
Jobless Claims in US Plummet to Lowest Level in 52 Years
Number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits drops to 199K, the lowest since 1969
- The number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits plummeted last week to the lowest level in more than half a century, another sign that the US job market is rebounding rapidly from last year's coronavirus recession. Jobless claims dropped by 71,000 to 199,000, the lowest since mid-November...
With Newfound Clout, Workers
Quit Jobs in Record Numbers
Nov 12, 2021 2:14 PM CST
With Newfound Clout, Workers Quit Jobs in Record Numbers
Dissatisfied employees can have their pick of opportunities, experts say
- The pendulum has swung toward the labor force, and US workers are taking advantage of it. With their pick of employment opportunities these days, more Americans than ever—4.4 million—left their jobs in September, CNN reports. That could become the norm. "Labor now has the initiative, and...
Jobs Report Comes In
Stronger Than Expected
Nov 5, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Jobs Report Comes In Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 531K jobs in October, more than forecast
- The new monthly jobs report is out, and it's stronger than expected. Hiring in October improved significantly over September, though it's still behind the pace set in the first half of the year. The details:
Employers added 531,000 jobs in October, above expectations of 400,
A Swing and a Miss for
September's Jobs Report
Oct 8, 2021 7:59 AM CDT
A Swing and a Miss for September's Jobs Report
Just 194K jobs were added last month
- US employers added just 194,000 jobs in September, a second straight tepid gain and evidence that the pandemic still has a grip on the economy, with many companies struggling to fill millions of open jobs. Friday's report from the Labor Department also showed that the unemployment rate fell...
2 Words on Jobs Report:
Sep 3, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
2 Words on Jobs Report: 'Huge Disappointment'
August numbers come in far below expectations
- The new jobs report is in for August, and lackluster might be one word to describe it. "Huge disappointment" ( CNBC ) and "surprisingly weak" (the AP ) are others. The key numbers:
Employers added 235,000 jobs for the month, but that is far below
Job Numbers Are Strong,
but There's an Asterisk
Aug 6, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Job Numbers Are Strong, but There's an Asterisk
Numbers may not reflect fast-moving impact of delta variant
- The new monthly jobs report is out, and the numbers are stronger than expected for July. But the delta variant is throwing a wrench into assessments. Details:
Employers added 943,000 jobs for the month, ahead of consensus estimates of 845,000, reports CNBC .
The unemployment rate dropped more than
Scope of Unemployment Fraud
in Pandemic Is Staggering
Jun 10, 2021 11:56 AM CDT
Scope of Unemployment Fraud in Pandemic Is Staggering
Axios reports that half of benefits, totaling hundreds of billions of dollars, might have been stolen
- Stories about rampant fraud related to unemployment benefits paid out during the pandemic have been percolating for a while. The AP reported in March that states were being overwhelmed by bogus claims. Earlier this week, WBTW noted that the FTC has logged 400,000 complaints so far from people who...
Hiring Rebounds in May but
Falls Short of Expectations
Jun 4, 2021 7:43 AM CDT
Hiring Rebounds in May but Falls Short of Expectations
Employers added 559K jobs, double the figure from April
- Last month's unemployment report was a bust . The new one for May is twice as strong, though still shy of expectations. The Labor Department reported Friday that employers added 559,000 jobs last month, below expectations of about 670,000, reports CNBC . The unemployment rate, meanwhile, fell to 5....
If Markets End Losing Streak,
This Report Is Why
May 20, 2021 11:04 AM CDT
If Markets End Losing Streak, This Report Is Why
Weekly jobless claims fall to a pandemic low
- The number of Americans seeking unemployment aid fell last week to 444,000, a new pandemic low and a sign that the job market keeps strengthening as consumers spend freely again, viral infections drop, and business restrictions ease, per the AP . Major US stock indexes rose after the report came...
Jobless Benefits Too
Generous? Debate Is Reignited
May 7, 2021 1:16 PM CDT
Jobless Benefits Too Generous? Debate Is Reignited
Critics say Biden's relief package encourages people to stay home; not so, say defenders
- The new monthly jobs report came in way below expectations on Friday, with employers hiring 266,000 people in April instead of the 1 million or so expected by analysts. The report has reignited a familiar political debate amid the pandemic, with those on the right arguing that President Biden'...
Jobs Report Misses
Expectations by a Mile
May 7, 2021 8:33 AM CDT
Jobs Report Misses Expectations by a Mile
Employers added 266K jobs, well under predictions of about 1M
- The new unemployment report for April is out, and the takeaway number didn't come close to meeting expectations. Details:
Employers added 266,000 jobs in the month, even though analysts had expected roughly 1 million, reports CNBC . The outlet characterizes the figure as a "huge letdown.
Hiring Booms as Jobs Report
Apr 2, 2021 7:48 AM CDT
Hiring Booms as Jobs Report Exceeds Expectations
Employers added more than 900K jobs in March as unemployment falls to 6%
- Analysts expected a strong jobs report, and the Labor Department delivered. Employers went on a hiring binge in March, and they're expected to continue for the near future. The highlights:
A big number:
Employers added 916,000 jobs last month, reports the AP , well above expectations of about 675,
A Big Sign That the US
Economy Is on the Upswing
Mar 25, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
A Big Sign That the US Economy Is on the Upswing
684K filed for unemployment benefits last week in the US, the lowest number since pandemic began
- The number of people seeking unemployment benefits fell sharply last week to 684,000, the fewest since the pandemic erupted a year ago and a sign that the economy is improving. Thursday's report from the Labor Department showed that jobless claims fell from 781,000 the week before. It'...
Bars, Restaurants Give
a Jolt to February Hiring
Mar 5, 2021 7:52 AM CST
Bars, Restaurants Give a Jolt to February Hiring
Employers overall added 379K jobs, and unemployment fell to 6.2%
- The new unemployment report is out, and the numbers are stronger than expected. The highlights:
Employers added 379,000 jobs in February, above expectations of 210,000, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The figure is well above the 49,000 jobs gained in January.
This State Wants
Its Money Back
Feb 16, 2021 1:01 PM CST
This State Wants Its Money Back After Overpaying Unemployed
Missouri says it sent out $150M in overpayments last year, but recipients say they can't pay it back
- A recent letter in the mail to St. Louis salesman Mike Conners demanding he pay back the state of Missouri more than $7,500 in unemployment benefits caught him by surprise. But as FOX 2 reports, his letter was no anomaly: The state now says it paid out $150 million...
Hiring Rights Itself
After a One-Month Dip
Feb 5, 2021 8:01 AM CST
Hiring Rights Itself After a One-Month Dip
Employers added 49K jobs in January
- The new jobs report is out, and the big number is back in positive territory. Employers added a modest 49,000 jobs in January, though that was in line with expectations of 50,000, reports CNBC . The increase may be "tepid," as the AP describes it, but it...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.