Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Orders Cops to Stop
Using This Stalling Tactic
Nov 22, 2023 7:21 AM CST
Judge Orders Cops to Stop Using This Stalling Tactic
Permanent injunction bars Kansas Highway Patrol from using 'Kansas Two-Step' to try to find drugs
- The Kansas Highway Patrol must stop using a tactic known as the "Kansas Two-Step" to detain out-of-state drivers long enough to find a reason to search their vehicles for illegal drugs, a federal judge has ruled. US District Judge Kathryn H. Vratil on Monday granted a permanent injunction, which...
Couple Moving Into New
Home Find Body in Freezer
Nov 3, 2023 12:46 PM CDT
Couple Moving Into New Home Find Body in Freezer
Alabama couple charged with abusing teen son's corpse, discovered in broken freezer
- Alabama tenants preparing to move into a new home Sunday discovered a dead body in a freezer, which had been reported to police nearly three weeks earlier. The remains have not been officially identified but are believed to be those of 19-year-old Logan Michael Halstead, a man with spina bifida...
Ex-Cop Who Sexually Assaulted
Dozens Hears His Fate
Oct 21, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Ex-Cop Who Sexually Assaulted Dozens Hears His Fate
Former Philly police officer Patrick Heron, 54, is sentenced to 15 to 40 years in state prison
- A former Philadelphia police officer has been sentenced to 15 to 40 years in state prison after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting women and girls—often while in uniform and in the back of his police vehicle, per the AP . Patrick Heron, 54, entered his pleas Friday after reaching an...
More Trouble for
Oct 5, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
More Trouble for Sheriff Whose Officers Formed 'Goon Squad'
Undersheriff in Rankin County, Mississippi, resigns after allegations emerge about Bryan Bailey
- The undersheriff of the Mississippi sheriff's department whose former officers pleaded guilty to torturing Black men resigned Monday, days after allegations surfaced about his boss. A joint investigation by
New York Times
revealed the local district attorney investigated Rankin County Sheriff Bryan Bailey for illegally...
Cops Tase High School Band
Director at Football Game
Sep 19, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
Cops Tase High School Band Director at Football Game
Johnny Mims claims 'egregious violation of civil rights' in Birmingham
- Police in Birmingham, Alabama, repeatedly deployed a stun gun in front of students while arresting a high school band director who allegedly refused to stop his band from playing. Police were clearing spectators from a stadium following a football game between Minor and Jackson-Olin high schools on Thursday when they...
Officers' Response to
Worried Father Goes Viral
Sep 19, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Officers' Response to Worried Father Goes Viral
He said daughter, 11, was manipulated by adult to send explicit pics; cops said she could be charged
- A father in Columbus, Ohio, shared video of an exchange with two city officers who came to his door, and the department says it's now investigating how they handled things. As 10TV explains, the father called police to report that his 11-year-old daughter had been manipulated by an adult...
Cop Says Pedestrian Killed by
Colleague Had 'Limited Value'
Sep 12, 2023 1:04 PM CDT
Cop Says Pedestrian Killed by Colleague Had 'Limited Value'
OPA investigating body camera video recorded hours after Jaahnavi Kandula's Jan. 23 death
- Hours after a Seattle police officer struck and killed a 23-year-old pedestrian, a colleague laughed about the woman's death, claiming her life had "limited value" so the city should "just write a check," according to body camera video released Monday . Officer Kevin Dave was responding to...
Dozens Indicted on RICO
Charges Over 'Cop City'
Sep 6, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Dozens Indicted on RICO Charges Over 'Cop City'
Protesters don't want a police and firefighter training facility in the Atlanta area
- Sixty-one people have been indicted in Georgia on racketeering charges following a state investigation into protests against a planned police and firefighter training facility in the Atlanta area that critics call "Cop City." In the sweeping indictment released Tuesday, Republican Attorney General Chris Carr alleged the defendants are...
At Least 75 Cops Open Fire
During Shootout in Pittsburgh
Aug 25, 2023 10:18 AM CDT
At Least 75 Cops Open Fire During Shootout in Pittsburgh
Officers are all on administrative leave following Wednesday's drama, which left a suspect dead
- At least 75 police officers have been placed on leave following a shootout with a man in Pittsburgh who allegedly fired on officers serving an eviction notice. The man died of a gunshot wound Wednesday following a 6.5-hour standoff, but not before hundreds if not thousands of bullets were...
Former Police Union Chief Gets
Prison Time for $600K Fraud
Aug 4, 2023 12:33 PM CDT
Former Police Union Chief Gets Prison Time for $600K Fraud
Ed Mullins, ex-head of NYPD's Sergeants Benevolent Association, sentenced to 2 years behind bars
- For almost 20 years, Ed Mullins served as the head of one of the largest police unions in America. Now, the former president will spend two years behind bars for perpetrating fraud against the Sergeants Benevolent Association, which represents the 13,000 active and retired sergeants of the New York...
Police 'Prepared' for
Aug 3, 2023 11:06 AM CDT
Police 'Prepared' for Trump Arraignment
Security boosted ahead of 4pm ET hearing in Washington
- Some online commenters have called for an "armed revolution" since Tuesday's indictment of former President Trump on four felony charges. But Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger doesn't expect much drama Thursday when Trump is arraigned at the federal courthouse in Washington, DC, where more than 1,000...
Cop Hurt After
Bombing Down a Slide
Aug 2, 2023 8:56 AM CDT
Cop Hurt After Bombing Down a Slide
Video of Boston police officer has gone viral
- No one knows how or why it happened, but we at least know the what, where, and a little bit of the who. A Boston cop was recorded tumbling down a children's slide in front of City Hall, and the video has now gone viral. In the footage , someone...
Cops Hold Family at
Gunpoint Over a Typo
Aug 1, 2023 8:01 AM CDT
Cops Hold Family at Gunpoint Over a Typo
Police in Frisco, Texas, vow to learn from mistake that left an Arkansas family traumatized
- Police officers in Texas held a visiting family at gunpoint all because an officer made a typo while performing a search on their license plate. "It looks like I made a mistake," the officer tells the Arkansas family after a terrifying ordeal that included a sixth-grade boy being...
Officers Allegedly Jail Son, 3,
for Potty Problems
Jun 29, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
Officers Allegedly Jail Son, 3, for Potty Problems
Florida dad reportedly claimed an investigation into the incident was 'insane'
- Two Florida police officers reportedly thought the proper way to respond to their toddler's potty-training problems was to handcuff the boy and put him in jail. Daytona Beach Shores Department of Public Safety launched an internal investigation following the October incident involving Lt. Michael Schoenbrod and Det. Sgt. Jessica...
Cop Handing Out Stickers
Chased, Killed a Mass Shooter
Jun 29, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Cop Handing Out Stickers Chased, Killed a Mass Shooter
Body camera footage from Texas mall shooting is released
- A police officer in Allen, Texas, was having a friendly chat with a mother and her two children, to whom he'd given stickers, when gunshots erupted a short distance away at Allen Premium Outlets on May 6. As a newly released body camera video shows, that officer immediately grabbed...
2 More Cops
Fired in 'Appalling'
Randy Cox Case
Jun 29, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
2 More Cops Fired in 'Appalling' Randy Cox Case
Betsy Segui, Oscar Diaz join 2 others on pink-slip list after incident that left Conn. man paralyzed
- Two more cops in New Haven, Connecticut, involved in the case of Richard "Randy" Cox, a man paralyzed from the chest down during police transport last June, have been fired. NBC Connecticut reports that on Wednesday, the New Haven Board of Police Commissioners voted to pink-slip officers Betsy Segui...
DOJ: This 'Made
What Happened to
George Floyd Possible'
Jun 16, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
DOJ: This 'Made What Happened to George Floyd Possible'
After 2-year investigation, agency finds Minneapolis cops engaged in pattern of discrimination
- The Justice Department accused Minneapolis police Friday of engaging in a pattern of violating constitutional rights and discriminating against Black and Native American people following an investigation prompted by the killing of George Floyd. The sweeping two-year civil rights investigation concluded that systemic problems in the Minneapolis Police Department "...
Bizarre Traffic Stop Involves
One Cop Accusing Another
Jun 13, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Bizarre Traffic Stop Involves One Cop Accusing Another
Officer in Orlando has been relieved of duty pending an investigation
- It must have looked for all the world like two police cars racing to a crime scene. Instead, it was one law enforcement officer trying to stop another for speeding. The strange scene unfolded in Orlando, Florida, where a deputy with the Seminole County Sheriff's Office says he spotted...
Jun 6, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Amid Protests, Officials OK Funding for 'Cop City'
Atlanta City Council approves tens of millions to build training center for police, firefighters
- The Atlanta City Council early Tuesday approved funding for the construction of a proposed police and firefighter training center, rejecting the pleas of hundreds of activists who packed City Hall and spoke for hours in fierce opposition to the project they decry as "Cop City." The 11-4 vote...
Cops Rushing Toward Person in
Distress Get Quite the Surprise
in case you missed it
May 14, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Cops Rushing Toward Person in Distress Get Quite the Surprise
Goat was making humanlike sounds that sent Oklahoma police officers into a panic
- Two police officers in Oklahoma got quite the surprise earlier this week while coming to the aid of what they thought was a person in distress. CBS News reports that the Enid Police Department's David Sneed and Neal Storey responded Monday to a call reporting someone crying for help,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.