Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
a Civil War
in case you missed it
Jul 18, 2015 10:00 AM CDT
Eva Peron's Lobotomy May Have Prevented a Civil War
Neurosurgeon claims Juan Peron ordered operation to 'calm' Evita
- The Yale neurosurgeon who four years ago claimed former first lady of Argentina, Eva Peron, had a lobotomy in 1952 to ease her pain from cervical cancer is revising his theory. In a new paper in
, Daniel Nijensohn says the woman who inspired the musical
To Treat OCD,
Jun 26, 2015 7:23 AM CDT
To Treat OCD, Surgeons Remove Half-a-Teaspoon of Brain
Psychosurgery can help when medication and therapy don't
- Mental illness can be debilitating, leaving sufferers in desperate need of relief. Many don't get it: Medication and therapy have no effect on 30% to 60% of those with obsessive-compulsive disorder,
reports. "For these patients who are the sickest of the sick they should be allowed...
Place on Earth'
Is for Sale
in case you missed it
Apr 20, 2014 8:01 AM CDT
'Most Haunted Place on Earth' Is for Sale
Italian island of Poveglia said to have hosted brutal lobotomies
- The island of Poveglia is, according to the
, "arguably the most haunted place on Earth"—and now it can be yours. The Italian government is auctioning off a lease to the unpopulated 17-acre island near Venice where, following the 1922 opening of a mental hospital, a doctor...
2K US Veterans
Lobotomized in '40s, '50s
Dec 13, 2013 11:44 AM CST
2K US Veterans Lobotomized in '40s, '50s
'WSJ' profiles Walter Freeman's medical legacy
- In the first detailed account of the Veterans Administration's psychosurgery program, the
Wall Street Journal
reveals the extent to which lobotomies were used on veterans in the 1940s and '50s, before antipsychotic drugs came on the market and public opinion dipped. Unearthed documents show how one of the...
Did Eva Peron
Have a Lobotomy?
Dec 20, 2011 10:24 AM CST
Did Eva Peron Have a Lobotomy?
New research seems to confirm claim made in 2005
- The ever-fascinating Eva Peron continues to make news, this time by way of an equally fascinating
New York Times
article on lobotomies. A Yale researcher now believes the former first lady herself received one in a bid to relieve the extreme pain she experienced while dying of cervical cancer. The...
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Police: Fentanyl Killing Teens May Have Come From One Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.