Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Pollution Has Unexpected
Effect on Green Sea Turtles
Nov 27, 2023 11:48 AM CST
Pollution Has Unexpected Effect on Green Sea Turtles
Researchers say it's helping create too many females
- For male green sea turtles, it's the second part of a double whammy they could ill afford. A new study suggests that ocean pollution is contributing to a serious gender imbalance—way too many females are being born and way too few males, reports Science Alert . As the
Complex Operation Returns
Sea Turtle From Wales to US
Aug 30, 2023 4:44 PM CDT
Complex Operation Returns Sea Turtle From Wales to US
Gulf Stream carried rare Kemp's ridley sea turtle across the Atlantic in 2021
- After all Tally has been through in the past couple of years, the VIP treatment she's receiving now seems only fair. The rare Kemp's ridley sea turtle washed up on Talacre Beach in north Wales in November 2021 after being carried over from Texas by the Gulf Stream....
Baby Turtle Survives
Treacherous 4K-Mile Swim
Feb 24, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Baby Turtle Survives Treacherous 4K-Mile Swim
Croga, which means 'brave' in Irish, drifted far off course, from Miami to Ireland
- A father taking a stroll with his two daughters along the Irish coastline stumbled across what one expert is now calling an "absolute miracle." The
reports that the family was walking on the shore of the northwestern Mullet Peninsula in County Mayo when they came across...
Too-Familiar Refrain About
Florida Turtles: 'It's a Girl'
Aug 8, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
Too-Familiar Refrain About Florida Turtles: 'It's a Girl'
Animal facility reports all female hatchlings for 4 years because the sand is so hot
- Wildlife experts in Florida keeping watch on sea turtle eggs have had an easy job of late in cataloging the gender of hatchlings—they've all been girls. "Only female sea turtles for the past four years," Bette Zirkelbach, manager of the Turtle Hospital in Marathon, tells CNN...
Biologist Counting Turtles
Finds These Instead
Jun 14, 2021 2:39 PM CDT
Biologist Counting Turtles Finds These Instead
Bundles of cocaine wash up at Space Force base near Cape Canaveral
- Florida, a place that has long had a reputation for strange goings-on, can add a tale of smugglers, sea turtles, a million dollars in drugs, and Space Force to its collection. A few weeks ago, Angy Chambers, a wildlife manager surveying sea turtle nests near Cape Canaveral found something besides...
After Oil Spill, Sea Turtles
Are Fed Mayo as a Cure-All
Feb 23, 2021 10:50 AM CST
After Oil Spill, Sea Turtles Are Fed Mayo as a Cure-All
It cleans their digestive tracts, say rescuers in Israel
- When it comes to saving sea turtles, Israeli rescuers have discovered that mayonnaise is a miracle, per the AP . Employees at Israel's National Sea Turtle Rescue Center are treating endangered green sea turtles affected by a devastating oil spill that has coated Israel's coast with thick black tar....
Texans Are Rescuing
Cold-Stunned Sea Turtles
Feb 17, 2021 5:02 PM CST
Texans Are Rescuing Cold-Stunned Sea Turtles
Thousands have been brought to a convention center
- Residents, some of whom lack heat or basic amenities in their own homes due to the unusually chilly weather, have been rescuing cold-stunned sea turtles and taking them to a convention center in a south Texas resort town. "Every 15 minutes or less there’s another truck or SUV...
With Tourists Gone, Record
Number of Baby Turtles Hatch
Oct 29, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
With Tourists Gone, Record Number of Baby Turtles Hatch
In Mexican community, locals released 2,250-plus hatchlings into the sea; usually it's less than 1,000
- The plight of the sea turtle in Mexico is so perilous that the country banned capturing and killing them 30 years ago. From late spring to early fall, one particularly vulnerable species lays its eggs on beaches throughout the nation, with nesting often disrupted by fishermen and tourists. This year,...
190 Turtles Freeze to Death
Nov 25, 2018 5:15 PM CST
190 Turtles Freeze to Death
Two chilling nights killed them off the coast of Cape Cod
- Nearly 190 sea turtles died off Cape Cod in a way no one wants to go—slowly freezing to death. The Mass Audubon wildlife sanctuary says the turtles were found "incapacitated" along the coast of Massachusetts early Friday, NBC News reports. "A lot of the turtles were found...
Sign of 'What the Future Could
Look Like' in Remote Hawaii
in case you missed it
Oct 28, 2018 7:31 AM CDT
Sign of 'What the Future Could Look Like' in Remote Hawaii
East Island disappears beneath Pacific waves
- Hawaii might've grown a peninsula this year, but it's now lost a whole 11-acre island, and perhaps endangered seals and turtles along with it. East Island, the second-largest islet in the French Frigate Shoals atoll, a few hundred miles northwest of the Hawaiian island chain, has disappeared since...
Habit Proves Fatal
Mar 21, 2017 7:59 AM CDT
Turtle's Coin-Eating Habit Proves Fatal
'Bank' dies 2 weeks after surgery to remove 11lbs of change from her stomach
- A 25-year-old sea turtle in Thailand who swallowed nearly a thousand coins tossed by tourists seeking good luck died Tuesday, two weeks after having surgery to remove the coins from its stomach, reports the AP . The cause of death was blood poisoning from the loose change, said Dr. Achariya Sailasuta,...
Tossing Coins for Good Luck
Has Unfortunate Side Effect
Mar 6, 2017 8:51 AM CST
Tossing Coins for Good Luck Has Unfortunate Side Effect
A sea turtle ended up with an 11-pound ball of coins in her stomach
- Tossing coins in a fountain for luck is a popular superstition, but a similar belief brought misery to a sea turtle in Thailand from whom doctors have removed 915 coins. Veterinarians in Bangkok operated Monday on the 25-year-old female green sea turtle nicknamed "Bank," whose indigestible diet was...
With 107 Stolen
Sea Turtle Eggs
Jul 5, 2016 7:39 AM CDT
Suspect Busted With 107 Stolen Sea Turtle Eggs
Officers say Florida man was taking them as the turtle was laying them
- Jupiter is the big story in the news today, but Jupiter Island, Fla., is making headlines, too, for an entirely different reason, WJXT reports. Per a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Facebook post , a report came in about someone taking sea turtle eggs from a beach behind a local...
Giddy Tourists Stop
Huge Turtle Army
Sep 20, 2015 4:30 PM CDT
Giddy Tourists Stop Huge Turtle Army From Nesting
Olive ridley sea turtles are forced to turn back
- A huge swarm of sea turtles emerged on the Costa Rican shore earlier this month to lay eggs, like they do every year. Only problem: Thousands of tourists were there too, getting in the way, prancing around for photos, and even placing their kids on the creatures' backs, Gizmodo reports....
Central America Hit By
Mass Die-Off of Sea Turtles
Nov 11, 2013 7:03 AM CST
Central America Hit By Mass Die-Off of Sea Turtles
Scientists aren't sure what's going on
- Between late September and mid-October, 114 sea turtles washed up dead on El Salvador's beaches. All across Central America, the same thing is happening: In Guatemala, 115 have died this year; in Costa Rica, 280; late last year, 200 died in Panama. In Nicaragua, in addition to the turtle...
Dec 28, 2011 8:10 AM CST
Obama 'Pardons' Sea Turtles
President, daughters, friends release four of them in Hawaii
- Apparently it’s not just turkeys that are eligible for a presidential pardon—sea turtles are, too. President Obama "pardoned" four of them yesterday during a visit to Hawaii’s Sea Life Park, releasing the 18-month-old turtles into Hanauma Bay. The president was accompanied by his daughters and a...
at Risk of Extinction
Dec 13, 2011 12:33 AM CST
Species at Risk of Extinction
'These are the species we're supposed to care about,' says scientist
- You might not be able to find Nemo soon. Environmentalists warn that 16% of species associated with characters in the mega-popular Pixar animated movie
are at risk of extinction. “These are species that should be doing better because they are the ones we care about,” said...
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.