Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
7-Year-Old's Birthday Hunt
Produces Sparkling Find
Sep 10, 2023 12:25 PM CDT
7-Year-Old's Birthday Hunt Produces Sparkling Find
Aspen Brown spots a gem in Arkansas state park
- Aspen Brown didn't need anyone to give her a diamond for her seventh birthday—she came up with her own. The girl was visiting Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro, Arkansas, to mark her milestone with her father and grandmother on Sept. 1, a release by the park...
Risks Wrath of
May 5, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
One Coronation Crown Jewel Risks Wrath of Prince William
Rod Camilla will hold would go against his anti-ivory stance; plus, other crown jewel controversies
- The royal family will be pulling out all the stops for King Charles III's coronation on Saturday, including showing off the revered crown jewels, the gems and other ceremonial objects that are dusted off for crownings of sovereigns and their consorts.
Town & Country
notes the regalia isn't...
It Wasn't Quartz
Mar 17, 2023 12:59 PM CDT
The Quartz Seemed Extra Shiny. It Wasn't Quartz
Tennessee's David Anderson finds 3.29-carat 'Big, Ugly Diamond' in Arkansas state park
- More than 75,000 diamonds have been found at Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds State Park over the past century or so, with more than 120 emerging from the earth this year alone. Park regular David Anderson just added one more to the mix, and he's already got a name...
Camilla Won't Wear
Feb 15, 2023 7:15 PM CST
Camilla Won't Wear Controversial Crown at Coronation
The Kohinoor will stay out of the spotlight
- A potential diplomatic row has been avoided. The BBC reports Camilla, queen consort, will not wear the crown containing the Kohinoor (or Koh-i-Noor) diamond—which India has argued it should have ownership of—when she is crowned alongside King Charles III in May. That diamond is part of the crown...
'Spectacular' Pink Diamond Is
Largest Found in 300 Years
Jul 27, 2022 1:12 PM CDT
'Spectacular' Pink Diamond Is Largest Found in 300 Years
185-carat Lulo Rose was unearthed in Angola
- A pink diamond unearthed in Angola is the biggest gem of its kind found in centuries, according to an Australian mining company. The Lucapa Diamond Company says the 170-carat "Lulo Rose," named after the mine in northeast Angola where it was found, is one of the largest pink...
Diamond Dealer on His Robbery
Mar 11, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Diamond Dealer on His Robbery Plot: 'Incomprehensible'
He claimed robbers forced him to open vault
- A Dutch diamond dealer has been found guilty of a plot he says he now finds "incomprehensible." Martin Van Gelder, 55, staged an armed robbery of one of the family firm's stores in which insured diamonds worth almost $5 million were taken, the
reports. He claimed...
Crypto Entrepreneur Says
He Bought Space Diamond
Feb 10, 2022 6:20 AM CST
Crypto Entrepreneur Says He Bought Space Diamond
He says Enigma gem will be renamed HEX.com
. A rare black diamond believed to have come from space has been sold for $4.3 million—some $2.5 million less than Sotheby's expected. The auction house says the 555.55 carat "Enigma" diamond, which it calls " one of the rarest, billion-year-old cosmic wonders known...
NASA's Lucy Is Now in
the Sky, With Diamonds
Oct 16, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
NASA's Lucy Is Now in the Sky, With Diamonds
Spacecraft is on 12-year mission to explore Jupiter's Trojan asteroids
- A NASA spacecraft named Lucy rocketed into the sky with diamonds Saturday on a 12-year quest to explore eight asteroids. Seven of the mysterious space rocks are among swarms of asteroids sharing Jupiter's orbit, thought to be the pristine leftovers of planetary formation. An Atlas V rocket blasted off...
Beyoncé Is Fourth Woman
to Wear Famous Diamond
Aug 23, 2021 12:32 PM CDT
Beyoncé Is Fourth Woman to Wear Famous Diamond
She wears iconic Tiffany diamond in new campaign for Tiffany & Co.
- Beyoncé has joined diplomat's wife Mary Whitehouse, Audrey Hepburn, and Lady Gaga in a very exclusive club. For a new Tiffany & Co. ad campaign, the singer became the fourth person—and the first Black woman—to wear the famous 128.54-carat Tiffany Diamond, CNN reports. The gem, found...
With Quick Swap,
She Allegedly Made Off
With $6M in Diamonds
Jul 21, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
With Quick Swap, She Allegedly Made Off With $6M in Diamonds
Lulu Lakatos on trial in London for 2016 theft
- A woman stole nearly $6 million worth of diamonds from a jeweller by swapping them out with tiny, worthless stones, according to UK prosecutors. Lulu Lakatos of France was posing as a gem expert, who was to inspect the diamonds on behalf of a presumed client, when she visited a...
Jun 21, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Hopeful Diamond Hunters Get Bad News
People who flocked to South African village dug up similar-looking quartz
- As far as government announcements go, this one stung: "The tests conducted conclusively revealed that the stones discovered in the area are not diamonds." So declared an official in the South African province of KwaZulu-Natal, reports the BBC . The words deflated the hopes of thousands of people who'...
One of the Biggest
Diamonds Ever Is Found
Jun 17, 2021 1:49 PM CDT
One of the Biggest Diamonds Ever Is Found
At 1,098 carats, it would be the third-largest gem-quality stone in history
- There's no estimate yet on what price it may fetch, but it's safe to say the coffers of Botswana will be getting a nice little bump. Miners found a diamond believed to be the third-biggest "gem quality" stone in history, reports Reuters . (See what it looks like...
World's Largest Jeweler
Makes Huge Pivot
May 4, 2021 11:52 AM CDT
World's Largest Jeweler Makes Huge Pivot on Diamonds
Pandora will sell lab-made diamonds only from now on in the name of sustainability, affordability
- "Laboratory-made diamonds are a girl's best friend" may not have the same ring to it, but the world's largest jeweler is now banking on a shift in that direction and hoping it will be a lucrative one. The BBC reports that Pandora will cease to sell mined...
Tiffany Includes Men
in Ring Tradition
May 1, 2021 1:55 PM CDT
Tiffany Includes Men in Ring Tradition
Market has been one-sided since the store sold its first women's engagement ring in 1886
- Tiffany & Co., which has been selling diamond engagement rings since the 19th century, has decided to try to reach an untapped market segment: men. The jeweler is debuting its Charles Tiffany Setting, named after the founder of the company: solitaire men's rings with sizable round-brilliant and emerald-cut diamonds...
Behold the Ring With
the Most Diamonds Ever
Jan 5, 2021 8:16 AM CST
Behold the Ring With the Most Diamonds Ever
The 'Marigold,' featuring 12,638 stones, has been recognized by Guinness World Records
- Start doing your hand exercises now if you ever want to slip the "Ring of Prosperity" on your finger—it'll be a heavy lift. That's because the piece of jewelry (aka the "Marigold") designed by Harshit Bansal of India's Renani Jewels features 12,638...
Buyer of $15.7M Diamond
'Bagged a Bargain'
Oct 5, 2020 3:36 PM CDT
Buyer of $15.7M Diamond 'Bagged a Bargain'
Sale of 'conflict-free' diamond breaks multiple records
- An anonymous bidder got a gem of a deal Monday when they snapped up a flawless 102-carat diamond for $15.7 million, experts say. The sale of the diamond found in northern Ontario in 2018 broke multiple records, the CBC reports. It broke the record for a diamond sold at...
Guy Finds 'Shiny' Thing
That's Really So Much More
Sep 26, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Guy Finds 'Shiny' Thing That's Really So Much More
Kevin Kinard says he 'teared up when they told me'
- A bank manager discovered a 9.07-carat diamond at a state park in southwestern Arkansas after thinking the precious gem was a piece of glass, the AP reports. Kevin Kinard of Maumelle found the second-largest diamond in the 48-year history of Crater of Diamonds State Park on Labor Day, according...
Customer Orders 'Priciest
Facemask in the World'
Aug 9, 2020 3:15 PM CDT
Customer Orders 'Priciest Facemask in the World'
3.6K white and black diamonds add to the glitz
- An Israeli jewelry company is working on what it says will be the world's most expensive coronavirus mask, a gold, diamond-encrusted face covering with a price tag of $1.5 million, the AP reports. The 18-karat white gold mask will be decorated with 3,600 white and black diamonds...
She Found No
Diamonds for an
Hour. Then She
Went to YouTube
Aug 22, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
She Found No Diamonds for an Hour. Then She Went to YouTube
Miranda Hollingshead scores big at Crater of Diamonds
- A first-time visitor to Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds State Park turned to YouTube for help in finding a gleaming rock and, almost immediately, spotted one. After searching through the dirt for about an hour on a spur-of-the-moment family outing on Aug. 16, Miranda Hollingshead of Bogata, Texas, sat down in...
What Did Teacher
Do on Vacation?
Jul 31, 2019 1:33 AM CDT
What Did Teacher Do on Vacation? Something Awesome
Nebraska teacher found 2.12-carat diamond at state park
- What did you do on your summer vacation? Josh Lanik's class will have a tough time topping his story. The 36-year-old Nebraska teacher managed to find the biggest diamond found in 2019 to-date at Crater of Diamonds State Park during a two-hour visit last week. A press release from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.