Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
House in Oregon
Sells to a 'Goonie'
Dec 5, 2022 8:21 AM CST
House in Oregon Sells to a 'Goonie'
Still-unidentified buyer pledges to preserve the beloved site
- The listing agent for the Victorian home featured in the
film in Astoria, Oregon, says the likely new owner is a fan of the classic coming-of-age movie who promises to preserve and protect the landmark, per the AP . Jordan Miller of John L. Scott Real Estate said the...
47K People Just Got
Weed Offenses Wiped
Nov 22, 2022 5:44 AM CST
47K People Just Got Weed Offenses Wiped
Ore. Gov. Kate Brown's pardon applies to simple possession convictions from before 2016
- More than 47,000 Oregonians will have prior offenses pardoned in a move Gov. Kate Brown announced Monday. Brown said she will pardon simple marijuana possession offenses in certain cases, a move that will also see the $14 million in fines and fees associated with those offenses forgiven, KATU reports....
US' Largest-Ever Dam Removal
Approved in the Name of Fish
Nov 18, 2022 11:53 AM CST
US' Largest-Ever Dam Removal Approved in the Name of Fish
Four dams to be removed from Klamath River on Oregon-California border by 2024
- Federal regulators have given final approval for the largest dam removal project in US history at a cost of $500 million—for the purpose of helping endangered fish. For decades, Native American tribes have sought to restore the Klamath River, the route to spawning grounds for Chinook and endangered coho...
This Is the Most
Giving State in America
Nov 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
This Is the Most Giving State in America
Congrats to Utah, according to WalletHub's ranking of the most, least charitable states
- If you're in a position to be philanthropic, whether that means donating your money or your time, where you live can make a difference in terms of enthusiasm from fellow locals—which in turn might inspire even more of your own altruism. WalletHub looked at 19 metrics across all...
After Closer Than
Democrat Will Be
Nov 10, 2022 10:43 PM CST
After Closer Than Expected Race, Democrat Will Be Oregon Governor
Republicans had hoped to win governorship in the state for first time in 40 years
- Tina Kotek has been elected Oregon’s next governor, extending longtime Democratic control of the state and dashing Republican hopes for a rare win in a top race on the West Coast of the United States, the AP reports. Kotek joins Maura Healey of Massachusetts as the first openly lesbian...
Oregon Mayor Accused
of Road Rage Shooting
Nov 2, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Oregon Mayor Accused of Road Rage Shooting
Dowen Jones allegedly fired at family's vehicle on Halloween night
- A small town in Oregon called Rufus is probably going to need a new mayor—the current one, Dowen Jones, was arrested Tuesday on attempted murder and assault charges stemming from an alleged road rage incident on Halloween night. According to the Hood River County Sheriff's Office , a family...
Forest Service Chief Says
Arrest of 'Burn Boss' Was
Oct 25, 2022 6:09 PM CDT
Forest Service Chief Says Arrest of 'Burn Boss' Was 'Highly Inappropriate'
Oregon sheriff arrested federal employee after controlled burn went wrong
- The head of the US Forest Service has denounced the arrest by an Oregon sheriff of a Forest Service employee after a planned burn in a national forest spread onto private land. Rick Snodgrass, the US Forest Service "burn boss," was arrested on Oct. 19 and transported to...
Grenades Are Turning Up
on the Beach in Oregon
Oct 11, 2022 7:54 AM CDT
Grenades Are Turning Up on the Beach in Oregon
Police in the city of Newport, Ore., say 3 potentially explosive devices have been found so far
- Some people collect seashells by the seashore, or even lost jewelry if they've got a metal detector. In one Oregon city, however, locals are making a more surprising, and potentially dangerous, find. In an alert issued last week, police in the city of Newport are warning beachgoers to beware...
Serial 'Jogger Rapist'
Will Be a Free Man
Oct 9, 2022 6:48 AM CDT
Serial 'Jogger Rapist' Will Be a Free Man
Richard Gillmore of Oregon admitted 9 assaults, was convicted in only one
- An Oregon serial rapist is set to be released from prison in mid-December after serving nearly 36 years behind bars, almost all of his maximum sentence. Richard Gillmore, arrested in 1986 and called the “jogger rapist” because he staked out victims as he ran by their homes, admitted to...
Fought to Disarm Shooter
Aug 29, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Safeway Employee Fought to Disarm Shooter
Slain 66-year-old worker may have saved lives, police say
- A 66-year-old employee killed in a shooting at a supermarket in Bend, Oregon, on Sunday evening is being praised as a hero whose actions may have saved lives. Police say Safeway employee Donald Ray Surrett Jr. fought with the gunman in the store's produce section and tried to disarm...
Oregon Mountain's Unfortunate
Name Is Changing
Aug 29, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Oregon Mountain's Unfortunate Name Is Changing
'Swastika Mountain' will soon be no more
- News that two hikers needed rescue from a mountain near Eugene, Oregon, earlier this year caused Oregonian Joyce McClain to do a double take. It wasn't the rescue itself—it was that the peak they were climbing was named Swastika Mountain, reports
. However, it probably won't...
Gunman Kills 2 in
Aug 29, 2022 12:41 AM CDT
Gunman Kills 2 in Oregon Supermarket
Suspect was also found dead in store
- A person entered a grocery store in Bend, Oregon, on Sunday evening and fatally shot two people, authorities said. The person believed to be the shooter was found dead inside the Safeway store, Bend Police said in a statement. Authorities said police responded to multiple 911 calls at the Forum...
Dad of 3 Killed
Jul 22, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Dad of 3 Killed in 'Unprovoked' Road-Rage Shooting
Driver tried to push Dennis Anderson off road before passenger opened fire: cops
- A father of three was enjoying a day out with his partner of 18 years when he was fatally shot in an "unprovoked" road rage shooting in Oregon, police say. Dennis Gerard Anderson, 45, of Tigard was declared dead at the scene on Route 18 in Polk County, where...
Love Beer? This Is
the State for You
Jul 9, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Love Beer? This Is the State for You
Vermont is a 'true beer lover's paradise,' according to VinePair
- Previous evaluations from Beer Connoisseur and Groupon named California the best state in the country when it comes to beer. Not even close, according to VinePair , which finds America's "true beer lover's paradise" is just about as far from California as you can get while remaining in...
Candidate Criticized After
Mocking 'City of Roaches'
Jun 30, 2022 4:04 PM CDT
Candidate Criticized After Mocking 'City of Roaches'
Oregon governor contender Betsy Johnson takes heat over her label of Portland
- An independent candidate for governor of Oregon took an interesting approach to building support, criticizing the state's largest city by suggesting the bloom is off the City of Roses because of homelessness. Betsy Johnson's comments appeared this week in a
New York Times
newsletter , the
May Have Inspired
Jun 17, 2022 10:38 AM CDT
Wreck That May Have Inspired
Discovery of hull timbers in Oregon sea caves echoes Spielberg's cult classic
- Remains of a legendary 17th-century shipwreck that reportedly inspired the cult classic
have been found—though not by a band of hilarious misfits. Pieces of the hull of the Spanish galleon
Santo Cristo de Burgos
were raised from sea caves in a state-protected area of Manzanita, Oregon, this...
A Mount Hood
Rescuer Is Worried
Jun 5, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
A Mount Hood Rescuer Is Worried
Veteran doctor lays out the problems, including too many unprepared climbers
- Christopher Van Tilburg is a mountain rescue doctor who heads out with other volunteers when climbers, skiers, and snowboarders get into trouble on Oregon's Mount Hood. In an essay for
, Van Tilburg sounds a little exhausted. The crews typically handle a "few" cases per year, but they'...
Millennials, You May Want
to Head to This State
May 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Millennials, You May Want to Head to This State
Washington ranks first in WalletHub's rankings for most appealing places for the 26-41 set
- Whether you call them Generation Y or millennials, the group wedged between Generation X and Generation Z—ie, those born between 1981 and 1996 —has its own particular wants and needs when looking for a place to settle down. WalletHub wanted to figure out the most appealing states for...
to Slow Count
in 2 Places
May 17, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Printer Errors to Slow Count in 2 Places
Counties in Oregon, Pennsylvania say the results will be accurate
- Printing mistakes will force local election officials in Pennsylvania and Oregon to redo thousands of mailed ballots, a laborious process that could delay results for some closely contested races in Tuesday's primaries. In Pennsylvania, where GOP primaries for governor and US Senate are drawing national attention, officials in Republican-leaning...
in Trial of Oregon
May 9, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
'Surprising Twist' in Trial of Oregon Romance Novelist
Prosecutors say Nancy Crampton Brophy slipped in conversation with cellmate
- In what the
calls a "surprising twist" in the murder trial of Oregon romance novelist Nancy Crampton Brophy, a prosecutor last week argued that a new witness should be brought in to testify as a rebuttal witness after the defense presents its case—because, Senior Deputy District Attorney...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.