Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Navalny Sent to 'One of the
Toughest' Penal Colonies
Jun 15, 2022 8:51 AM CDT
Navalny Sent to 'One of the Toughest' Penal Colonies
Official says dissident has arrived at Melekhovo prison; Navalny camp says it hasn't verified claim
In May, Alexei Navalny had written in a Telegram post that he'd heard inmates at the notorious penal colony in Melekhovo were building a "prison within a prison" for him. He may now be detained in that disturbing-sounding confinement: Per CNN , the head of a regional public...
After Receiving Sentence
Mar 22, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
After Receiving Sentence
Putin critic gets 9 years after fraud conviction
A Russian court sentenced Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny to nine years in a maximum security prison Tuesday after convicting him of fraud, reports the AP . It wasn't clear whether it would be concurrent with the shorter sentence he's already serving. Navalny's Twitter account responded with a...
Putin Faults US Over
Arrests of Capitol Rioters
Jun 14, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Putin Faults US Over Arrests of Capitol Rioters
It's 'persecution for political opinions,' Russian leader tells NBC in interview
- Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is to meet President Biden at a summit Wednesday, has suggested that the hundreds of people arrested for rioting at the US Capitol are being subjected to “persecution for political opinions," per the AP . The context: Putin is likely to come under strong...
Court Rules Against
Jun 9, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Court Rules Against Navalny's Network
Decision is an escalation in Putin's battle against Russian opposition
- Alexei Navalny's political organization was outlawed by a Russian court Wednesday as "extremist," theoretically breaking up his opposition movement. The ruling is part of a broad crackdown by President Vladimir Putin on political opposition in general and on Navalny and his Foundation for Fighting Corruption in particular,...
Biden to Meet With
the Guy He Called a 'Killer'
May 25, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
Biden to Meet With the Guy He Called a 'Killer'
President, Vladimir Putin will get together next month in Switzerland
- President Biden will meet face to face with Vladimir Putin, the man he recently labeled a "killer," next month in Switzerland. The meeting will take place June 16 in Geneva, and the
New York Times
expects it to focus heavily on nuclear arms. But the pair should have...
Pro-Navalny Subway Workers
Just Got Some Bad News
May 19, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Pro-Navalny Subway Workers Just Got Some Bad News
Dozens of Moscow Metro employees fired after signing petition in support of opposition leader
- If you're an Alexei Navalny fan and work for Moscow's subway system, make sure management or the Kremlin doesn't get wind of it. Per the CBC , dozens of workers with the "famously ornate" Moscow Metro, some who've been employed by the transit agency for years,...
Alexei Navalny: 'I'm
Just a Horrible Skeleton'
Apr 29, 2021 11:47 AM CDT
Alexei Navalny: 'I'm Just a Horrible Skeleton'
Russian opposition leader blasts Putin, prosecutors in court
- A transformed Alexei Navalny appeared in court in Moscow on Thursday for the first time since launching a hunger strike. The "visibly gaunt" Russian opposition leader didn't have a great time as Judge Kurysheva Natalia upheld his Feb. 20 conviction for defaming a veteran who’d publicly supported...
Apr 23, 2021 11:14 AM CDT
Navalny Will Start Eating Again
Putin critic will end his hunger strike after being allowed to see doctors
- Alexei Navalny says he'll start a 24-day process of ending his hunger strike in a Russian penal colony, a day after doctors said he would die otherwise. The Russian opposition leader announced the move through lawyers on Instagram Friday, noting his goal of receiving care from outside doctors was...
Protest Across Russia
Apr 21, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Navalny Supporters Protest Across Russia
'There are so many political prisoners,' one demonstrator says
- Police arrested nearly 1,500 people Wednesday during a day of demonstrations throughout Russia calling for freedom for imprisoned opposition leader Alexei Navalny, whose health reportedly is in severe decline after three weeks of hunger striking, according to a group that monitors political detentions. The largest of the protests took...
Russia Is Killing
Him, 'in Front
of Us All'
Apr 19, 2021 7:23 AM CDT
Navalny's Team: Russia Is Killing Him, 'in Front of Us All'
Authorities say Russian dissident is now in prison hospital; allies aren't hopeful for 'good news'
- How things look for Alexei Navalny depends on who's doing the informing. Over the weekend, a group of doctors said blood tests showed the imprisoned Russian dissident, on a hunger strike since March 31, was likely to die within days unless he received medical attention. On Monday, a Navalny...
Be Down to
a Few Days,
Apr 17, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Navalny Could Be Down to a Few Days, Doctors Say
Prisoner's potassium levels have fallen dangerously low, letter says
- Blood tests show indicate Alexei Navalny is likely to die in the next few days unless he receives medical attention, doctors said Saturday. A group of physicians has asked prison authorities to allow them to treat the Russian opposition activist, the BBC reports. "His condition is indeed critical,"...
Navalny May Be in a
'Situation of a Slow Death'
Apr 7, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Navalny May Be in a 'Situation of a Slow Death'
So says Amnesty International
- Amnesty International is weighing in on Alexei Navalny's prison conditions, and it isn't pulling punches. "We have to do more," said Amnesty International Secretary General Agnes Callamard on Wednesday. "[They] have already attempted to kill him, they are now detaining him, and imposing prison conditions,...
As Pain Spreads, Navalny
Goes on Hunger Strike
Mar 31, 2021 1:04 PM CDT
As Pain Spreads, Navalny Goes on Hunger Strike
'I'm lying here, hungry, but still with two legs'
- Alexei Navalny says he is going on a hunger strike until he receives proper treatment for back and leg pain. The outspoken Kremlin critic, who is being held in a harsh penal colony east of Moscow, says pain has spread from his back to his right leg and his left...
After Weeks of Foreshadowing,
a Move by Biden on Russia
Mar 2, 2021 8:55 AM CST
After Weeks of Foreshadowing, a Move by Biden on Russia
Officials, businesses there hit with sanctions over Navalny poisoning, imprisonment
- The Biden administration announced sanctions of Russian officials and businesses Tuesday related to the poisoning and jailing of opposition leader Alexei Navalny , whose detention drew tens of thousands of protesters out into the streets of Russian cities this winter. Senior administration officials announced the sanctions but didn't immediately identify...
in a Rough
Mar 1, 2021 4:20 PM CST
Navalny to Serve Time in a Rough Penal Colony
European Union imposes sanctions on Russian officials
- After emerging from a coma and recovering from a poisoning, Alexei Navalny has another difficult stretch ahead of him. News reports in Russia said Monday that the opposition figure is being sent to a prison infamous for its treatment of inmates. Navalny will avoid Siberia or the Arctic, sites of...
Alexei Navalny Is Missing
Feb 26, 2021 7:21 AM CST
Alexei Navalny Is Missing
He's been moved from Moscow prison, may be in a camp
- The jailed Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny has been moved from a Moscow prison to an undisclosed location, according to aides, who think he may have been sent to a prison camp. Navalny lawyer Vadim Kobzev arrived at the Moscow prison to meet with his client but was told he...
NHL Star on Leave After
Feb 22, 2021 4:53 PM CST
NHL Star on Leave After Russian 'Intimidation'
Team believes tabloid story is payback for Artemi Panarin's support of Navalny
- The upheaval over the jailing of Russian opposition activist Alexei Navalny has reached the National Hockey League, where New York Rangers star Artemi Panaran is on leave after what the team calls "intimidation." Panaran—an outspoken Vladimir Putin critic who voiced support for Navalny last month—is one...
Hears His Fate
Feb 20, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Alexei Navalny Hears His Fate on Appeal
Moscow judge rules the Russian dissident will remain in detention
- An appeal by Alexei Navalny hasn't gone the way he'd hoped. The Russian opposition leader was sentenced earlier this month to two years and eight months in prison for breaking parole terms while recuperating in Germany from a Novichok poisoning he says was carried out by the Russian...
Feb 14, 2021 12:35 PM CST
Navalny's Flashlight Protest Irks Russia
Opposition leader called a different kind of demonstration for this weekend
- When the team of imprisoned opposition leader Alexei Navalny urged people to come out to their residential courtyards and shine their cellphone flashlights in a display of unity, many Russians responded with jokes and skepticism. After two weekends of nationwide demonstrations, the new protest format looked to some like a...
Message in Note From Jail
Feb 5, 2021 12:03 AM CST
Navalny Shares Message in Note From Jail
He tells Russians to free country from a 'bunch of thieves'
- In a note from jail, opposition leader Alexei Navalny urged Russians Thursday to overcome their fear and "free" the country from a "bunch of thieves," while the Kremlin cast the arrests of thousands of protesters as a due response to the unsanctioned rallies. Navalny, who was sentenced...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Oath Keepers Founder Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.