Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Couple Spot Jail Escapee,
Ending His Time on the Run
Jul 16, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Couple Spot Jail Escapee, Ending His Time on the Run
Michael Burham emerged from the woods in Pennsylvania
- After Michael Burham escaped from jail Hollywood-style and disappeared into the woods of Pennsylvania, authorities were preparing for a long manhunt because of the fugitive's purported survivalist skills. The 34-year-old's freedom ended up falling just short of 10 days. The Pennsylvania State Police arrested him early Saturday evening...
Family Discovers 'Orphan' Dad
Killed His Parents in 1958
in case you missed it
May 14, 2023 7:25 AM CDT
Family Discovers 'Orphan' Dad Killed His Parents in 1958
William Arnold Leslie escaped prison, died a free man in Australia in 2010
- A man in Australia who tried to learn more about his late father's background discovered that he had covered up a huge secret for 43 years. The US Marshal Service says the man known to his family as John Vincent Damon was actually William Leslie Arnold, who killed his...
Texas Governor Slammed for
Tweets After Mass Shooting
May 1, 2023 6:24 AM CDT
Texas Governor Slammed for Tweets After Mass Shooting
Gregg Abbott labels victims 'illegal immigrants'; reward for suspected gunman jumps to $80K
- On Saturday, Texas authorities had an idea where the suspect in a mass shooting that killed five Friday night might have been hiding out. By Sunday, that inkling had vanished. "We do not know where he is. We do not have any tips on where he may be,"...
Fugitive in Texas Killings
'Could Be Anywhere'
Apr 30, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Fugitive in Texas Killings 'Could Be Anywhere'
Searchers pick up, lose trail of man sought in shooting deaths of five people
- Law enforcement officials searching for the suspect in the fatal shooting of five people in a Texas home were able to track his cellphone until that stopped working Saturday evening. Authorities said they believe Francisco Oropeza, 38, has left the Cleveland, Texas, area, where his neighbors were shot to death...
Ex-Maryland Governor's Chief
of Staff Dead in FBI Standoff
Apr 4, 2023 9:54 AM CDT
Ex-Maryland Governor's Chief of Staff Dead in FBI Standoff
Roy McGrath was wanted on charges that included wire fraud
- Fugitive Roy McGrath, who served as chief of staff for former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, died Monday during a confrontation with the FBI near Knoxville, Tennessee, reports the
. McGrath's death came after a 21-day manhunt sparked by his failure to appear in a Baltimore federal court for...
Killer Rapist Thought to Have
Died in Prison Actually Escaped
Mar 28, 2023 8:47 AM CDT
Killer Rapist Thought to Have Died in Prison Actually Escaped
Thabo Bester has been loose for 10 months, says South Africa's corrections department
- Last May, South African prison authorities announced a man serving a life sentence for rape and murder had died in a fire in his cell. Dubbed the "Facebook rapist" for his habit of luring victims on the site, Thabo Bester had apparently set himself alight inside the maximum-security Manguaung...
Torture Suspect Is Dead
Feb 1, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Police: On-the-Lam Torture Suspect Is Dead
Benjamin Obadiah Foster, 36, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, per Oregon cops
- Police on Tuesday said the case of a man wanted in Oregon for a violent kidnapping case had been "resolved." Now, an update: Benjamin Obadiah Foster is dead. A Grants Pass Police Department rep tells KTVL that the 36-year-old suspect died after being taken to the hospital with...
Cops: Man Wanted
for 'Random' Murders
Jan 24, 2023 6:54 PM CST
Cops: Man Wanted for 'Random' Murders Killed Himself
Police say Jarid Haddock killed 3 people in Yakima, Washington convenience store
- A 21-year-old man wanted in the random killing of three people at a convenience store in Yakima, Washington, early Tuesday shot and killed himself as officers approached him behind some warehouses several hours later, authorities said. Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray said at a news conference that authorities had received...
What Gave Away One of
Italy's Biggest Mob Bosses
Jan 17, 2023 10:15 AM CST
What Gave Away One of Italy's Biggest Mob Bosses
Matteo Messina Denaro's sickness led cops right to a Sicilian health clinic
- In a story that seems made for Hollywood, Italian police this week captured one of Italy's most famous fugitives: Matteo Messina Denaro, who helped lead the Cosa Nostra mob syndicate even as he was on the run for the past three decades. And it was a routine, somewhat expected...
Porn Fugitive on FBI
Most Wanted List Is Caught
Dec 25, 2022 12:32 PM CST
Porn Fugitive on FBI Most Wanted List Is Caught
Michael Pratt, accused of sex trafficking, was arrested in Spain
- The founder of a California-based porn empire that coerced young women into filming adult videos has been arrested in Spain, three years after he fled while facing federal sex-trafficking charges, the FBI announced. Michael James Pratt was on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list, per the AP . Spanish National...
Man Sentenced for Faking
Death to Avoid Sex Charges
Nov 29, 2022 1:58 PM CST
Man Sentenced for Faking Death to Avoid Sex Charges
Jacob Blair Scott is already serving an 85-year sentence for abusing 14-year-old
- A man has been sentenced to 21 months in prison for faking his own death in Alabama to avoid criminal charges of impregnating a teenage girl in his home state of Mississippi. Jacob Blair Scott was sentenced Monday in Alabama, the AP reports. US District Judge Jeffrey Beaverstock set the...
Killers of Popular Blogger
Escape in Police Ambush
Nov 21, 2022 11:12 AM CST
Killers of Popular Blogger Escape in Police Ambush
2 men who murdered Avijit Roy were on their way to court in Bangladesh
- Two of the men who murdered a popular Bangladeshi American blogger are on the lam after a police ambush in broad daylight. The fugitives, already convicted in the 2015 murder of Avijit Roy, were being taken to court for a hearing on Sunday when multiple motorcycles disrupted their police escort...
Suspect on the Lam Turns
Up in 'Happiest Place on Earth'
Nov 5, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Suspect on the Lam Turns Up in 'Happiest Place on Earth'
Quashon Burton, accused of COVID relief fraud, was busted by federal officer in Disney World
- It's being called "the world's most magical arrest," though it probably doesn't feel very magical for the arrestee. Police say a Brooklyn man who's been on the lam for almost a year was taken into custody last month in the so-called happiest place on...
Ex-Trooper Goes Missing
Oct 7, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Ex-Trooper Goes Missing After Sentencing
Harvey Briggs was sentenced to probation for pulling mask off Tennessee protester
- A former Tennessee state trooper has gone missing after he was sentenced for a misdemeanor assault conviction on a charge that he pulled the face mask off a protester during the COVID-19 pandemic in August 2020. In a Facebook post Monday, Columbia police said 54-year-old Harvey Briggs was last seen...
He Bought Bus Ticket,
Then Was Recaptured
Sep 29, 2022 9:08 AM CDT
He Bought Bus Ticket, Then Was Recaptured
Police picked up Porfirio Duarte-Herrera days after he went missing from Nevada jail
It was a quick flirtation with freedom for Porfirio Duarte-Herrera, but that liberation has now come to an end. After being discovered missing Tuesday from Nevada's Southern Desert Correctional Center, a manhunt was launched for the 42-year-old, who was serving a life sentence for a fatal 2007 bombing...
Before He Made
It to Russia
Sep 22, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
'Fat Leonard' Recaptured Just Before He Made It to Russia
Military contractor traveled through Mexico, Cuba, was busted in Venezuela after fleeing California
The escaped criminal known as Fat Leonard made it all the way from California to Venezuela, and would have continued on to Russia, before his capture Tuesday. Leonard Glenn Francis, the Malaysian military contractor who orchestrated the worst corruption scandal in Navy history, was awaiting sentencing for bribery and...
Family Wants Answers
After Officers Kill Pallbearer
Sep 9, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
Family Wants Answers After Officers Kill Pallbearer
Witnesses say officers called Jason Arnie Owens' name and shot him dead
- Jason Arnie Owens helped carry his father’s casket to the hearse, then turned to embrace a relative. He never made it to the cemetery. As mourners gathered outside a Nutter Fort, West Virginia, funeral home on Aug. 24, two plainclothes officers with a fugitive warrant swooped in from separate...
Before Arrest, Canada Suspect
Broke Into Woman's Home
Sep 8, 2022 6:19 AM CDT
Before Arrest, Canada Suspect Broke Into Woman's Home
Police sources say Myles Sanderson died from self-inflicted wounds
- Four days of fear in Saskatchewan ended Wednesday with the arrest of the only surviving suspect in Sunday's stabbing rampage—but Myles Sanderson died soon afterward , meaning authorities may never know his motive. Police sources tell the
that the 32-year-old died from self-inflicted wounds and a knife was...
Both Suspects in Canada
Stabbing Spree Now Dead
Sep 7, 2022 10:37 PM CDT
Both Suspects in Canada Stabbing Spree Now Dead
Source says 2nd suspect died of self-inflicted injuries after police ran him off road
Both suspects in the Canada stabbing spree that left 10 people dead in Saskatchewan Sunday are now dead. Hours after authorities announced Myles Sanderson had been arrested after police rammed his vehicle Wednesday afternoon, an official who spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity said Sanderson died...
Canada Stabbing Fugitive
Has 59 Earlier Convictions
Sep 6, 2022 11:18 AM CDT
Canada Stabbing Fugitive Has 59 Earlier Convictions
Myles Sanderson remains at large after deaths of 11 in Saskatchewan
- Tuesday is day three of the manhunt in Canada for 30-year-old Myles Sanderson, suspected in a brutal stabbing spree in the province of Saskatchewan. Police say Sanderson and his brother Damien killed 10 people and wounded another 18 in and around James Smith Cree Nation and in the nearby town...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.