Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Serial Killer Charged
in 1968 Cold Case
Jun 24, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Serial Killer Charged in 1968 Cold Case
DNA evidence in Diane Cusick murder led investigators to Richard Cottingham
- Police in Long Island say advances in DNA technology helped them crack a case that horrified residents in 1968. Nassau County Police Detective Capt. Stephen Fitzpatrick says the killer of 23-year-old Diane Cusick has been identified as Richard Cottingham, a serial killer already linked to 11 other murders, CBS reports....
Cops: Tree Trimmer
Returned to Kill His Clients
May 19, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
Cops: Tree Trimmer Returned to Kill His Clients
Ryan Scott Blinston convicted of 3 murders in northern California
A tree trimmer in rural Northern California was found guilty in a series of throat-slashing attacks that left three people dead, prosecutors announced Wednesday. A jury in Butte County on Tuesday found Ryan Scott Blinston, 37, guilty of murder, attempted murder and arson, the Tehama County District Attorney's...
29 Years Later
Apr 19, 2022 3:03 AM CDT
Victim of 'Happy Face Killer' Identified, 29 Years Later
Patricia Skiple was found dead in 1993
- A victim of the Happy Face Killer has been identified nearly 30 years after her body was left near a California highway, authorities said Monday. Patricia Skiple of Colton, Ore., had been known only as “Blue Pacheco" for the color of her clothing until genetic genealogy was used to...
New Evidence in
Serial Killer Case
Apr 13, 2022 2:51 PM CDT
Police Release New Evidence in Serial Killer Case
Police say they are making progress in the 12-year-old Gilgo Beach case
- Police in Long Island have released surveillance video footage of a woman in her last hours, before she became a victim of the Gilgo Beach killer, per CBS New York. It all started twelve years ago with the 2010 search for one missing woman, Shannan Gilbert , which led to the...
6th Victim Added to Tally
of 1970s 'Doodler' Serial Killer
Jan 28, 2022 12:15 AM CST
6th Victim Added to Tally of 1970s 'Doodler' Serial Killer
Police in San Francisco say they are close to an arrest decades after the slayings of gay men
- The Doodler is still out there, but police in San Francisco say they are closer than ever to catching the 1970s serial killer who targeted gay men. On Thursday, the SFPD confirmed a sixth victim—52-year-old attorney Warren Andrews, reports SFGate . Warren was savagely beaten in the city's...
Virginia Police May Have
Found a Serial Killer
Dec 18, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Virginia Police May Have Found a Serial Killer
Police arrested a man they call the 'shopping cart kller'
- Virginia police say they may have caught a serial killer. Harrisonburg police arrested Anthony Robinson in November and charged him with murder after finding two bodies. On Friday, Fairfax County police said they’d found two more bodies, and called Robinson the “shopping cart killer,” the AP reports....
Samuel Little Is Dead, but
LA Detectives Aren't Giving Up
Dec 4, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Samuel Little Is Dead, but LA Detectives Aren't Giving Up
They're still pursuing 16 possible murders committed by the serial killer
- The nation's most prolific serial killer died last year in a California prison at age 80, but as the
Los Angeles Times
explains, that hardly shuts the book on Samuel Little. He described having committed 93 murders, but in the case of 31 of them, authorities still haven't...
FBI: We Think We've Nabbed
Missouri/Kansas Serial Killer
Nov 9, 2021 8:05 AM CST
FBI: We Think We've Nabbed Missouri/Kansas Serial Killer
Perez Reed, 25, accused of fatally gunning down 6 people in alleged crime spree
- A suspected serial killer has been arrested for six deadly shootings throughout the Missouri/Kansas City area in September and October. Police say 25-year-old Perez Reed was nabbed by FBI agents on Friday after getting off a train in Independence, Mo., heading to his home in St. Louis from Kansas City,...
He Was About 21 When
John Wayne Gacy Killed Him
Oct 25, 2021 1:07 PM CDT
He Was About 21 When John Wayne Gacy Killed Him
Francis Wayne Alexander has been newly identified as a victim of the serial killer
- A North Carolina man who moved to Chicago has been identified as one of the victims of John Wayne Gacy , who was convicted of killing 33 young men and boys in the 1970s, per the AP . Francis Wayne Alexander would have been 21 or 22 years old when Gacy killed...
The Building Was Home to
Seniors—and a Serial Killer
Oct 16, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
The Building Was Home to Seniors—and a Serial Killer
A deep dive into what happened at Brooklyn's Woodson Houses
- "How many people can say they know a serial killer and everyone that he killed?" It's a chilling question that a resident of the Carter G. Woodson Houses in Brooklyn poses in a lengthy piece by
New York Magazine
about the killings that took place there over a...
Serial Killer Caught
by Victim's Friends
Gets 160 Years
Oct 7, 2021 2:19 PM CDT
Serial Killer Caught by Victim's Friends Gets 160 Years
They lured Khalil Wheeler-Weaver with fake social media account
- A New Jersey man who used dating apps to lure and kill three women five years ago was sentenced Wednesday to 160 years in prison after a trial in which it was revealed that friends of one victim did their own detective work on social media to ferret out the...
Police Officer Reveals Himself
as Serial Killer in Suicide Note
Oct 1, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Police Officer Reveals Himself as Serial Killer in Suicide Note
France's unsolved cases from 1980s, '90s may now be solved
- For years, a serial rapist and killer stalked Paris, suspected of murdering an 11-year-old girl, a 19-year-old woman, and a man and his 21-year-old au pair, both of whom were brutally tortured. Known as "Le Grele" or "The Pockmarked Killer" due to his pockmarked face, he terrorized the...
Apparent Victim of America's
Most Prolific Serial Killer ID'd
Sep 23, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
Apparent Victim of America's Most Prolific Serial Killer ID'd
It took 44 years to name Clara Birdlong
- Authorities have identified a woman found dead in Mississippi 44 years ago, who is believed to be yet another victim of America's most prolific serial killer. Samuel Little, who died in a California prison in January , was convicted of three murders in 2014, but later confessed to killing 93...
Miami Serial Killer
Died in Plane Crash
Sep 1, 2021 3:58 AM CDT
Miami Serial Killer Died in Plane Crash
Roberto Wagner Fernandes identified as murderer of 3 women
- Three women were killed in 2000 and 2001 in South Florida, and now their murderer has been identified—as a man who died in a plane crash 16 years ago. Police say Roberto Wagner Fernandes, a Brazilian citizen living in Miami at the time of Jessica Good's 2001 slaying,...
Serial Killer Dies
in California Prison
Jul 24, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
Serial Killer Dies in California Prison
Rodney Alcala, who appeared on the ' Dating Game' before his arrest, was convicted of 7 slayings
- Rodney Alcala, a convicted serial killer who appeared as a contestant on the
in the middle of his string of slayings, died Saturday in a California prison. Officials attributed the death of Alcala, 77, to natural causes, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. He had been on the state'...
'Boy Next Door Killer' Gets
Death Sentence for 2 Murders
Jul 17, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
'Boy Next Door Killer' Gets Death Sentence for 2 Murders
Michael Thomas Gargiulo was convicted two years ago for the home invasions and killings
- For crimes he called “vicious and frightening,” a judge on Friday gave a death sentence to a man prosecutors called “The Boy Next Door Killer” for the home-invasion murders of two women and the attempted murder of a third. Victims' family members wept as Los Angeles Superior...
What It's Like to Discover You
Likely Slept With a Serial Killer
Jul 4, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
What It's Like to Discover You Likely Slept With a Serial Killer
Jill McCabe Johnson writes about that very thing for Slate
- Jill McCabe Johnson isn't 100% sure that the man she slept with one night as an 18-year-old was Gary Ridgway—more commonly known as the Green River Killer, who had at least 49 victims—but she's pretty close to it. In a lengthy piece for Slate , Johnson recounts...
Attempt of 'Black Widow' to
Claim Dementia Goes South
Jun 30, 2021 8:42 AM CDT
Attempt of 'Black Widow' to Claim Dementia Goes South
Japan's Supreme Court upholds death sentence for Chisako Kakehi, who murdered 3
- For nearly four years, Chisako Kakehi's legal team has been pushing back on her 2017 death sentence, arguing that the 74-year-old woman Japan knows as the "Black Widow" has dementia, rendering her incapable of understanding anything that's going on around her, including her own criminal trial. Those...
A New Jersey Detective Had
a Hunch About a Serial Killer
Jun 19, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
A New Jersey Detective Had a Hunch About a Serial Killer
Robert Anzilotti spent years getting Richard Cottingham to confess to more murders
- He was dubbed the "Torso Killer" for the string of dead prostitutes—some with their heads and hands cut off—left in hotels in Manhattan and New Jersey over a 6-month period over 1979 and 1980. New Jersey family man Richard Cottingham was convicted in the early '80s...
Grisly Find at
3.8K Bone Fragments
Jun 14, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Grisly Find at Ex-Butcher's Home: 3.8K Bone Fragments
Suspect may be responsible for 'greatest femicide in the history of Mexico'
- A former butcher in Mexico has reportedly admitted to killing the 34-year-old wife of a local police official, but that appears to be only the tip of the iceberg, based on what authorities say they found in the basement of his home on the outskirts of Mexico City. The AP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Trump Reportedly Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
Cops Shove Full House Star to the Ground During LA Protest
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.