Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Have Info on the 'Doodler'?
Reward Just Got Even Bigger
Jan 26, 2023 6:09 AM CST
Have Info on the 'Doodler'? Reward Just Got Even Bigger
Police in San Francisco up the pot to $250K, release new sketch in search for '70s serial killer
- Last year, police upped the reward in their search for the "Doodler," a serial killer from the '70s who went after gay men. Now, they've increased the pot even more, this time from $200,000 to $250,000, and released a new sketch of the suspect,...
in the '70s. Now
Dec 23, 2022 12:51 PM CST
'The Serpent' Killed Backpackers in the '70s. Now He's Free
Admitted serial killer Charles Sobhraj is released from a Nepal prison
- Confessed French serial killer Charles Sobhraj was freed from prison in Nepal on Friday after serving most of his sentence for killing American and Canadian backpackers and was taken to the airport for a flight back to Paris, his attorney said. His alleged killings were dramatized in a series co-produced...
Nepal to Free Serial Killer
Who Preyed on Hippies
Dec 21, 2022 3:24 PM CST
Nepal to Free Serial Killer Who Preyed on Hippies
Charles Sobhraj was convicted of killing two backpackers in 1975
- The man known as "the Serpent"—a French serial killer who went after travelers on the "hippie trail" of Southeast Asia in the 1970s—will soon be freed from prison in Nepal. The country's Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered that Charles Sobhraj be released due to...
No Sign of Bodies
at Former Home of
Alleged Serial Killer
Dec 9, 2022 7:44 AM CST
No Sign of Bodies at Former Home of Alleged Serial Killer
Lucy Studey maintains she helped bury bodies on property where cadaver dogs registered hits
- There's no evidence of a serial killer at an Iowa property where a woman claims she helped her father bury up to 70 bodies, officials say. After an exhaustive search involving "an array of experts representing several disciplines and significant assets to excavate, collect, and examine soil samples...
Ex-Border Patrol Agent
Found Guilty of Serial Killings
Dec 8, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Ex-Border Patrol Agent Found Guilty of Serial Killings
Juan David Ortiz convicted of capital murder
- A former US Border Patrol agent was convicted of capital murder Wednesday in the slayings of four women in Texas in 2018. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty, so Juan David Ortiz will receive an automatic sentence of life behind bars without the possibility of parole, the AP reports.
'Torso Killer' Confesses
5 More Murders
Dec 6, 2022 2:19 AM CST
'Torso Killer' Confesses 5 More Murders
Richard Cottingham sentenced in Diane Cusick murder
- The serial killer known as the "Torso Killer" has confessed to five more murders. Richard Cottingham, who was already serving time for 11 murders when he was charged with another murder in a 1968 cold case last year, on Monday pleaded guilty to that murder and admitted he was...
Alleged Serial Killer
Accused of Murdering
4 Indigenous Women
Dec 2, 2022 1:23 PM CST
Alleged Serial Killer Accused of Murdering 4 Indigenous Women
Canadian suspect Jeremy Skibicki linked to far-right group
- A man arrested in Canada earlier this year is now believed to be a serial killer with at least four victims, all of them Indigenous women. Jeremy Skibicki, a 35-year-old resident of Winnipeg, Manitoba, was charged in May with the murder of 24-year-old Rebecca Contois, a member of the Crane...
Convicted of Killing
4 Babies, an Inquiry
Nov 14, 2022 2:06 AM CST
After Scientists Back Mom Convicted of Killing 4 Babies, an Inquiry
Kathleen Folbigg's case re-opened, after scientists say infants likely died of genetic mutations
- A second Australian inquiry into the case of Kathleen Folbigg, the mother convicted of killing her four children decades ago, has been opened after dozens of scientists called for her to be pardoned. The first inquiry into the case, which ended in 2019, found no reasonable doubt. The second inquiry...
Suspected Serial Killer
Has His Second Conviction
Oct 7, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Suspected Serial Killer Has His Second Conviction
Mary Brooks, 87, was followed home after shopping
- A man charged with killing 22 women in the Dallas area over a two-year span was found guilty Friday in one of their deaths—his second murder conviction. With the verdict, Billy Chemirmir, 49, automatically received a second sentence of life without parole, the AP reports, this time for the...
Person Behind Stockton
Murders May Be 'Hunting'
Oct 5, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Person Behind Stockton Murders May Be 'Hunting'
All crimes were committed in areas light on surveillance cameras
- Police believe there's a serial killer afoot in California, and "we don’t know what the motive is," Stockton Police Chief Stanley McFadden said Tuesday, per the AP . But "what we do believe is that it's mission-oriented, this person's on a mission." The...
2 More Shootings Linked to
Possible California Serial Killer
Oct 4, 2022 4:00 AM CDT
2 More Shootings Linked to Possible California Serial Killer
Fatal shootings in Stockton, Calif., linked by physical evidence, police say
Police say the fatal shooting of a sixth man, who was killed in Oakland, Calif., last year, has been linked to the five fatal shootings in Stockton, Calif., they believe are the work of a serial killer. The non-fatal shooting of a woman in Stockton on April 16, 2021,...
She Knew Him as Anthony.
Cops Call Him Something Else
Sep 13, 2022 4:23 PM CDT
She Knew Him as Anthony. Cops Call Him Something Else
Monica White recounts her brief relationship with the accused 'shopping cart killer'
- Monica White's relationship ended badly—but she now fears it could have ended fatally. The Pennsylvania woman met Anthony Robinson on a dating app in 2020. The 36-year-old told the then-53-year-old that he was drawn to older women; she was a divorcee looking for love. He lived in the...
LA Man Who Killed 5
at Random Sentenced
Aug 19, 2022 10:43 AM CDT
LA Man Who Killed 5 at Random Sentenced
Alexander Hernandez gets life without parole for 2014 killing spree
- A Los Angeles man who opened fire on people at random in 2014, killing five and wounding seven others, was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Alexander Hernandez, 42, from the city's Sylmar neighborhood, was sentenced to multiple consecutive life terms for the rampage,...
Cops: Tree Trimmer
Returned to Kill His Clients
May 19, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
Cops: Tree Trimmer Returned to Kill His Clients
Ryan Scott Blinston convicted of 3 murders in northern California
A tree trimmer in rural Northern California was found guilty in a series of throat-slashing attacks that left three people dead, prosecutors announced Wednesday. A jury in Butte County on Tuesday found Ryan Scott Blinston, 37, guilty of murder, attempted murder and arson, the Tehama County District Attorney's...
29 Years Later
Apr 19, 2022 3:03 AM CDT
Victim of 'Happy Face Killer' Identified, 29 Years Later
Patricia Skiple was found dead in 1993
- A victim of the Happy Face Killer has been identified nearly 30 years after her body was left near a California highway, authorities said Monday. Patricia Skiple of Colton, Ore., had been known only as “Blue Pacheco" for the color of her clothing until genetic genealogy was used to...
New Evidence in
Serial Killer Case
Apr 13, 2022 2:51 PM CDT
Police Release New Evidence in Serial Killer Case
Police say they are making progress in the 12-year-old Gilgo Beach case
- Police in Long Island have released surveillance video footage of a woman in her last hours, before she became a victim of the Gilgo Beach killer, per CBS New York. It all started twelve years ago with the 2010 search for one missing woman, Shannan Gilbert , which led to the...
Virginia Police May Have
Found a Serial Killer
Dec 18, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Virginia Police May Have Found a Serial Killer
Police arrested a man they call the 'shopping cart kller'
- Virginia police say they may have caught a serial killer. Harrisonburg police arrested Anthony Robinson in November and charged him with murder after finding two bodies. On Friday, Fairfax County police said they’d found two more bodies, and called Robinson the “shopping cart killer,” the AP reports....
Samuel Little Is Dead, but
LA Detectives Aren't Giving Up
Dec 4, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Samuel Little Is Dead, but LA Detectives Aren't Giving Up
They're still pursuing 16 possible murders committed by the serial killer
- The nation's most prolific serial killer died last year in a California prison at age 80, but as the
Los Angeles Times
explains, that hardly shuts the book on Samuel Little. He described having committed 93 murders, but in the case of 31 of them, authorities still haven't...
FBI: We Think We've Nabbed
Missouri/Kansas Serial Killer
Nov 9, 2021 8:05 AM CST
FBI: We Think We've Nabbed Missouri/Kansas Serial Killer
Perez Reed, 25, accused of fatally gunning down 6 people in alleged crime spree
- A suspected serial killer has been arrested for six deadly shootings throughout the Missouri/Kansas City area in September and October. Police say 25-year-old Perez Reed was nabbed by FBI agents on Friday after getting off a train in Independence, Mo., heading to his home in St. Louis from Kansas City,...
He Was About 21 When
John Wayne Gacy Killed Him
Oct 25, 2021 1:07 PM CDT
He Was About 21 When John Wayne Gacy Killed Him
Francis Wayne Alexander has been newly identified as a victim of the serial killer
- A North Carolina man who moved to Chicago has been identified as one of the victims of John Wayne Gacy , who was convicted of killing 33 young men and boys in the 1970s, per the AP . Francis Wayne Alexander would have been 21 or 22 years old when Gacy killed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.