Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Heat Exhaustion Got to Her. He
Went for Help, Never Returned
Sep 9, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
Heat Exhaustion Got to Her. He Went for Help, Never Returned
Body of Tim Sgrignoli, 29, found 4 days after hike with girlfriend in sweltering California mountains
- The alerts from the Santa Barbara County Fire Department began late Sunday, noting the rescue of a female hiker suffering from mild heat exhaustion in the mountains over Gaviota, California, per NBC News . The initial post in that series of tweets from Scott Safechuck reported that the "search continues...
Young Hiker Dies Amid
Staggering Arizona Heat
Sep 6, 2022 4:22 PM CDT
Young Hiker Dies Amid Staggering Arizona Heat
Other hikers needed to be rescued from the Spur Cross Trailhead Mountain on Monday
- The typical temperature at Phoenix's international airport on Sept. 5 is 103. The actual temp there yesterday hit 109, and that heat proved deadly on a trail some 30 miles to the north in Cave Creek. NBC News reports the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office fielded a call just...
Hiker Runs Out of Water,
Dies in Badlands National Park
Jul 24, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Hiker Runs Out of Water, Dies in Badlands National Park
Men celebrating graduation were on an unmarked trail linked to social media challenge
- A hiker on a trip to celebrate his college graduation died after running out of water and collapsing on an unmarked trail in Badlands National Park. Sheriff's officials said Maxwell Right, 22, of St. Louis died Wednesday of "suspected dehydration and exposure,"
reports. A 21-year-old Missouri...
'Will Die' Among
Hiker's Last Texts
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
'Will Die' Among Hiker's Last Texts
Rescue atop New Hampshire's Mount Washington couldn't save hypothermic Xi Chen
- "In trouble… can't move … will die." So read the last texts from a father of three who succumbed to severe hypothermia while hiking on New Hampshire's Mount Washington over Father's Day weekend. Xi Chen, 53, of Andover, Mass., was attempting the 23-mile Presidential Traverse,...
Sitting Near Cliff's Edge,
He 'Spontaneously Slumped'
Jun 7, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Sitting Near Cliff's Edge, He 'Spontaneously Slumped'
Paul Classen of the Netherlands dies after falling 50 feet near Virginia's McAfee Knob
- A Dutch hiker attempting to conquer a portion of the Appalachian Trail has died after falling from a cliff in Virginia. Paul "Grandmaster" Classen, 23, who was known to carry a chess set with him, fell 50 feet from a cliff just north of the iconic 3,200-foot-tall McAfee...
Grand Canyon Adventure
Turns Tragic for Canadian
Jun 4, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Grand Canyon Adventure Turns Tragic for Canadian
Ottawa's Melanie Goodine, 41, dies after trying to make it back up to rim after hike to Colorado River
- A Canadian hiker exploring the Grand Canyon didn't make it out alive this week. Officials tell CBS 5 that 41-year-old Melanie Goodine of Ottawa has died after trying to do a tough hike to the Colorado River and back. Per a National Park Service release , the Grand Canyon Regional...
Officials: Missing Hiker
Was Mauled by Grizzly
Mar 26, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Officials: Missing Hiker Was Mauled by Grizzly
Montana's Craig Clouatre was found Friday after 'extensive search' in Paradise Valley
- A dad of four from Livingston, Mont., never met back up with a friend after they got separated during a hike in Paradise Valley Wednesday, and now, a sad development. Local authorities say it appears 40-year-old Craig Clouatre was fatally mauled by a grizzly bear in the Six Mile Creek...
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker
Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Jan 27, 2022 9:51 AM CST
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Richard Jacobson, 21, fell 700 feet while trying to take midnight photo at Flatiron Peak near Phoenix
- A 21-year-old man died this week when he tried to snap a selfie from a mountain peak in Arizona and fell 700 feet. The Pinal County Sheriff's Office received a call just before 1am Monday from a friend of the man, who'd been camping overnight in the area...
Woman Who Went Missing
While Hiking Found Dead
Sep 7, 2021 1:55 AM CDT
Woman Who Went Missing While Hiking Found Dead
Jennifer Coleman may have been hiking alone at the time
- A Virginia woman who was reported missing Wednesday after she took a trip to Montana's Glacier National Park was found dead in a steep, rocky area of the park Sunday. Jennifer Coleman, 34, was believed to have been hiking alone in the Logan Pass area, the highest elevation in...
23-Year-Old Hiker's Body
Found Under Rocks
Aug 24, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
23-Year-Old Hiker's Body Found Under Rocks
Tatum Morell was apparently caught in rock slide near Montana's Whitetail Peak
- A 23-year-old hiker missing in Montana's Beartooth Mountains since early July is believed to have died in a sudden rock slide. The body of Tatum Morell, a Montana State University graduate student in engineering, was discovered Saturday in a gully below Whitetail Peak, one of five area peaks over...
Parents Went on
Hike With Baby, Dog.
They All Died on the Trail
Aug 19, 2021 11:07 AM CDT
Parents Went on Hike With Baby, Dog. They All Died on the Trail
Authorities in California haven't ruled out dangerous gases, toxic algae
- A friend of a family of three found dead on a California hiking trail on Tuesday says the whole situation is just "freaky." Jonathan Gerrish and Ellen Chung had set out for an apparent day hike in Mariposa County with their 1-year-old daughter and dog on Sunday. A...
Hiker Injured Trying to Stop
Man's 500-Foot Plunge
Jun 2, 2021 4:23 PM CDT
Hiker Injured Trying to Stop Man's 500-Foot Plunge
Both fell, but one survived by catching a ledge 30 feet below at Sequoia National Park
- A California hiker survived a 30-foot fall Monday after trying to stop a companion from plunging off a mountain ridge in Sequoia National Park. Rescue crews were able to pull the woman, 45, to safety from a ledge, but the man she was trying to save fell 500 feet to...
Missing Yosemite Hiker
Is Found Dead
Jan 25, 2021 8:07 AM CST
Missing Yosemite Hiker Is Found Dead
'Alice' Yu Xie, 41, found dead on Jan. 16 in Yosemite National Park after ill-fated hike
- A hiker who went missing at Yosemite National Park earlier this month has been found dead. National Park Service officials say the body of "Alice" Yu Xie, 41, was found Jan. 16 at the base of Upper Yosemite Fall, per KCRA . KTLA reports that Xie had traveled to the...
How This Guy 'Came
Back From the Dead'
Nov 15, 2020 6:21 AM CST
How This Guy 'Came Back From the Dead'
Hiker Michael Knapinski was dead for 45 minutes
- Michael Knapinski went out for a hike in the snow of Mount Ranier on Saturday, Nov. 7, but he had to come back from a little bit more than he bargained for to get home, reports the
The 45-year-old from Woodinville got lost in whiteout conditions on his...
He Posed for a Pic on the Cliff's
Edge. The Next Day He Died
Oct 17, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
He Posed for a Pic on the Cliff's Edge. The Next Day He Died
Barefoot hiker Jordan Brashears, 29, died in apparently accidental fall in Sedona, Ariz.
- The body of a 29-year-old Seattle hiker has been found in Sedona, Ariz., after an apparently accidental fall. The
reports that Jordan Brashears had recently become friends with two fellow hikers, and the three agreed to meet up on Oct. 8 to explore the archaeological ruins along the...
Nov 10, 2019 4:21 PM CST
Hiker Found on Glacier Leaves Behind Pregnant Wife
Alan Stringer was reported missing Monday; his body was found Thursday
- A missing California hiker has been found dead atop a glacier. CNN reports Alan Stringer, 40, of Huntington Beach, didn't return home on Monday from a hike. A three-day search followed, and his body was ultimately located at the top of the Darwin Glacier in Kings Canyon National Park....
Dead in Fall
Aug 29, 2019 8:50 AM CDT
Amazing Race Canada
Contestant Dead in Fall
Kenneth McAlpine died on Mount Gimli on his 28th birthday
Amazing Race Canada
contestant Kenneth McAlpine set out to scale a massive rock formation on his 28th birthday. He ended up dying in a fall in the mountains he loved. The Ontario native is believed to have been hiking alone on the last section of trail leading to the...
Search for 2nd Missing
Maui Hiker Ends in Tragedy
May 30, 2019 7:47 AM CDT
Search for 2nd Missing Maui Hiker Ends in Tragedy
Body of Noah 'Kekai' Mina discovered below steep ridge near where Amanda Eller was rescued
- Heartbreak from the family of a lost hiker in Maui follows jubilation from another . The body of 35-year-old local Noah "Kekai" Mina, missing since May 20, was recovered by a helicopter crew Wednesday in the summit region of Mauna Kahalawai, reports NBC News . That's just 18 miles from...
Yosemite Hike Turns Tragic
for Woman Who Ignored Signs
Feb 25, 2019 7:10 PM CST
Yosemite Hike Turns Tragic for Woman Who Ignored Signs
Xuan Wang killed by falling ice and rocks on Mist Trail, which is closed for the winter
- A California woman out for a hike in Yosemite National Park was killed Sunday, and National Park Service officials said Monday it's because she went where she wasn't supposed to go. Per the
, 56-year-old Xuan Wang was hit by ice and rock that fell from above...
'Bikini Hiker' Freezes
After Mountain Fall
Jan 22, 2019 8:37 AM CST
'Bikini Hiker' Freezes After Mountain Fall
Taiwan's Gigi Wu found dead 28 hours after distress call
- A Taiwanese woman with an affinity for climbing mountains in bikinis shared a photo on Christmas Eve, showing leg injuries from a fall she said she was lucky to have survived. Gigi Wu wasn't so lucky this time. The 36-year-old "Bikini Hiker" was eight days into a solo...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.