Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jul 21, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Outcry Leads to Cancellation Hours Before Chappelle Show
Comedian moves to another Minneapolis theater
- Dave Chappelle lost his stage in Minneapolis on Wednesday night, hours before showtime, when the venue decided to act on complaints from staff members and the public about the booking. "We hear you and we are sorry," First Avenue posted on social media, adding, "We are not...
Jun 21, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Chappelle Has Surprise News at Theater Dedication
Theater at his alma mater, Duke Ellington School, won't be named after him after all
- Just before Dave Chappelle's most recent Netflix special dropped, his alma mater, the Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington, DC, announced its theater would be named for the comedian, who pledged to donate $100,000 to teachers' wages. It's "the most significant honor of my...
Chappelle's Alleged Attacker:
Show Was 'Triggering'
May 23, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Chappelle's Alleged Attacker: Show Was 'Triggering'
Isaiah Lee tells 'New York Post' jokes about LGBTQ and homelessness set him off
- Isaiah Lee went to the “Netflix Is a Joke” show on May 3 expecting to have fun, but he says he was “triggered” by jokes he heard about the LGBTQ community and homelessness. In a jailhouse interview with the
New York Post,
the 23-year-old—who allegedly attacked...
Attacker as His Own
May 20, 2022 12:51 AM CDT
Man Recognizes Alleged Chappelle Attacker as His Own Alleged Attacker
Isaiah Lee charged with attempted murder in a separate alleged attack
- The man suspected of rushing Dave Chappelle during a show last month and tackling him onstage has now been arrested in a separate alleged attack. Police say Isaiah Lee, 23, got into a fight with a roommate in a Los Angeles transitional living facility in December and stabbed the man....
Kevin Hart: Beating of Chappelle
Attacker 'Needed to Happen'
May 6, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
Kevin Hart: Beating of Chappelle Attacker 'Needed to Happen'
Howard Stern, on the other hand, sees hypocrisy in how things were handled
- Video footage showed people punching and kicking the man who rushed Dave Chappelle on stage at the Hollywood Bowl on Tuesday. Photos also showed the suspect with a very clearly broken arm . "It's one of those things that needed to happen, though," Kevin Hart told guest host...
Suspect in Attack
May 5, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Suspect in Attack on Chappelle Won't Face Felony Charges
Isaiah Lee could still be charged with misdemeanors
: The man arrested in the onstage attack on comedian Dave Chappelle won't be charged with any felonies, the Los Angeles Police Department said Thursday. Prosecutors came to the conclusion that criminal conduct occurred but not felony conduct, CBS News reports. The Los Angeles City Attorney's Office will...
Dave Chappelle Performance
Takes a Wild Turn in LA
May 4, 2022 6:48 AM CDT
Dave Chappelle Performance Takes a Wild Turn in LA
Comedian attacked onstage while performing at Hollywood Bowl during comedy fest; he's OK
- Dave Chappelle performed Tuesday evening at the "Netflix Is a Joke" comedy fest in Los Angeles, but what happened to him at the end of his set definitely wasn't a planned part of the night's humor. Cops say the 48-year-old comedian, who was performing at the Hollywood...
Chappelle Pushes Back After
Affordable Housing Controversy
Feb 11, 2022 1:17 PM CST
Chappelle Pushes Back After Affordable Housing Controversy
Comic says threat to nix club over project plan had nothing to do with the idea of affordable housing
- Comedian Dave Chappelle said his threat to pull the plug on his plans to open a comedy club near his hometown in Ohio wasn't because he opposed a proposal for affordable housing in a nearby development. Chappelle, who became the target of criticism this week after speaking against the...
Patton Oswalt's Message
on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Jan 3, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Patton Oswalt's Message on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Comedian insists he's an 'LGBTQ ally' after post about his longtime friendship with Chappelle
- The comedy business can be a somewhat insular one, where everybody knows everybody and ties stretch back decades. So it's not surprising that comedian Patton Oswalt has known Dave Chappelle for more than three decades, and his New Year's Eve post on that topic is now drawing heat....
Stoke a Little
Dec 7, 2021 7:10 AM CST
Chappelle, Netflix Stoke a Little More Controversy
Comedian is headlining streaming service's comedy festival
- Netflix continues to not distance itself from Dave Chappelle despite the comedian's courting of controversy. Chappelle will headline a show at the streaming company's 11-day comedy festival, the Netflix Is a Joke Festival, next year,
reports. The festival takes places in various venues across Los Angeles...
on Netflix Controversy
Oct 26, 2021 2:07 AM CDT
Dave Chappelle Finally Comments on Netflix Controversy
Comedian is not backing down
- Dave Chappelle has offered his first public response to the controversy swirling around his Netflix stand-up special, and to say the comedian is unapologetic would be an understatement. "I said what I said," he says in a new video posted to Instagram that, per the BBC , was recorded...
Meet Netflix Walkout
Oct 20, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Counterprotesters Meet Netflix Walkout
Organizer wants to pressure company 'because Dave Chappelle doesn't sign checks'
- Netflix employees who walked out Wednesday in protest of Dave Chappelle's special and its anti-transgender comments were joined by allies who chanted "Trans lives matter," getting pushback from counterprotesters who also showed up. A pre-noon rally at a Netflix office-studio complex in Los Angeles drew about 100...
Netflix Co-CEO on Chappelle
Controversy: 'I Screwed Up'
Oct 20, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Netflix Co-CEO on Chappelle Controversy: 'I Screwed Up'
Ted Sarandos says his defense of comedy special lacked humanity
- A trans Netflix employee who was among the first to speak out about the $24.1 million Dave Chappelle comedy special
directs her criticism toward Netflix's defense of the show in an essay published Monday. "When a company like Netflix says something like, 'We do...
Hannah Gadsby Has Some
Salty Words for Netflix CEO
Oct 16, 2021 12:58 PM CDT
Hannah Gadsby Has Some Salty Words for Netflix CEO
Comedian doesn't want to be included in Ted Sarandos' defense of Dave Chappelle
- Hannah Gadsby is having none of it from Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos. Sarandos defended leaving Dave Chappelle’s controversial special
on the streaming platform in a memo to employees. That memo read, in part, “We are working hard to ensure marginalized communities aren’t defined by a...
1K Netflix Workers Plan
Walkout Over Chappelle Special
Oct 14, 2021 6:39 AM CDT
1K Netflix Workers Plan Walkout Over Chappelle Special
Virtual walkout to protest company's support of the special deemed harmful to trans people
- An employee group at Netflix is planning a walkout over the company's continued support of a Dave Chappelle stand-up special that some say is offensive to transgender people. The transgender-employee group and allies are planning a virtual walkout for Wednesday in protest of the company's defense of
Oct 12, 2021 12:34 AM CDT
Netflix Backs Dave Chappelle
Keeps comedy special, suspends a trans employee who tweeted about the special
- Netflix is standing by Dave Chappelle after his new comedy special debuted on the streaming service and was hit with massive backlash . Despite many critics calling out the comedian's transphobic jokes and comments, Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos says
will be remaining on the platform. In a memo...
Oct 7, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
Chappelle in 'Familiar Hot Water' Over Netflix Special
Comedian on blast for comments made about transgender women
- Dave Chappelle isn't one to shy away from controversial takes , and he's back in what CNN calls "familiar hot water." This time, the backlash has emerged after comments the 48-year-old comedian made on gender and transgender women in his new Netflix special,
, which debuted...
NYC Takes a 'Huge
Step': 'No One Seems
Anything but Ecstatic'
Jun 21, 2021 8:35 AM CDT
NYC Takes a 'Huge Step': 'No One Seems Anything but Ecstatic'
Foo Fighters rocked full-capacity Madison Square Garden in front of thousands of vaxxed attendees
- Madison Square Garden was rocking again over the weekend, for the first time in 15 months. In what CBS New York calls a "huge step for New York's reopening," the New York City arena saw 15,000 or so fans show up for the Foo Fighters concert...
Chappelle: I Saw Celebs Leave
'Dirty Notes' for Trump Aides
Apr 7, 2021 8:11 AM CDT
Chappelle: I Saw Celebs Leave 'Dirty Notes' for Trump Aides
Comedian describes mischief during one of President Obama's last White House parties
- In 2019, then-White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham claimed aides of former President Obama had left disparaging notes around the White House for members of former President Trump's administration to find. At Inauguration Day, "Every office was filled with Obama books, and we had notes left behind that...
Jan 22, 2021 1:19 AM CST
Dave Chappelle Tests Positive for COVID, Cancels Shows
Comedian so far has no symptoms of the coronavirus
- Dave Chappelle tested positive for the coronavirus just before his comedy show scheduled for Thursday, forcing his upcoming appearances to be canceled, a spokeswoman said. Chappelle was expected to perform Thursday through Sunday at Stubb's Waller Creek Amphitheater in Austin, Texas, the AP reports. Those shows have been canceled...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
They Bought 2 Suitcases at Auction. Inside, a Horrific Find
Her Alaskan Election Surprise May Lead to History
Trump's Former Money Guy Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.