Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
These Are the Best,
Worst States for Jobs
Nov 30, 2022 4:11 PM CST
These Are the Best, Worst States for Jobs
Washington tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia comes in last
- After a tumultuous couple of years marred by the pandemic, the job market is looking up, with many employers eagerly seeking new workers for their payrolls. Conditions for the job hunt are better in some states than in others, and WalletHub is here to break it all down. The site...
Grizzlies Were Wiped Out Here.
Feds Want Them Back
Nov 13, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Grizzlies Were Wiped Out Here. Feds Want Them Back
Effort to reintroduce bears to Washington's North Cascades begins again
- A controversial campaign to increase the number of grizzly bears in Washington state, specifically in prime habitat areas where a viable population has long been absent, has been renewed. Environmental groups applauded Thursday's announcement that the National Park Service and the US Forest Service had initiated a first step...
Another Surprise House Win
Keeps Democrats' Hopes Alive
Nov 13, 2022 5:33 AM CST
Another Surprise House Win Keeps Democrats' Hopes Alive
Marie Gluesenkamp Perez, an auto shop owner, defeats far-right foe in Washington state
- Democrats won a second key House race in Washington state Saturday—an open seat in a conservative region that long evaded the party. Marie Gluesenkamp Perez, an auto shop owner who describes herself as an independent-minded Democrat, pulled off a victory against Joe Kent, a far-right “America First” ex-Green...
Bikini Baristas Win
a Big Court Battle
Oct 30, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Bikini Baristas Win a Big Court Battle
Federal court in Washington state says law banning their attire is discriminatory
- A Washington city's dress code ordinance saying bikini baristas must cover their bodies at work has been ruled unconstitutional by a federal court. The decision in a partial summary judgment this week comes after a lengthy legal battle between bikini baristas and the city of Everett over the rights...
HS Coach Fired for
Prayers on Field
Oct 27, 2022 3:33 AM CDT
HS Coach Fired for Prayers on Field Is Returning
Joe Kennedy to be reinstated by March
- The Washington state high school football coach fired for leading team prayers on the field will be given his old job back, per court documents filed this week. The Supreme Court sided with Joe Kennedy in June , finding in a 6-3 ruling that his First Amendment rights were violated. His...
Cops: Stabbed and Buried Alive,
She Made Incredible Escape
Oct 25, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Cops: Stabbed and Buried Alive, She Made Incredible Escape
Chae An of Washington state charged with attempted murder of estranged wife Young An
- Washington couple Young and Chae An "are going through a messy divorce," as Fox News puts it. That looks to be an immense understatement, as the outlet reports Chae is accused of hog-tying his estranged wife before dragging her from her Lacey home and burying her alive in...
The Bear Attacked, So She
'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Oct 24, 2022 12:47 PM CDT
The Bear Attacked, So She 'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Woman survives ambush by black bear in Washington state while walking dog
- A woman in Washington state is lucky to be alive after a routine morning task ended up with her fighting an unexpected visitor. Per the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife, the resident in the mountainous town of Leavenworth brought her dog outside for a walk around 7am Saturday, when...
Missing Teen Is Found,
but Case Takes a Twist
Sep 9, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Missing Teen Is Found, but Case Takes a Twist
16-year-old is located in Washington state, then charged with murder
- It seemed like a good-news story at the time: On Sept. 1, police in Washington state found a 16-year-old boy in the woods who had been reporting missing the previous day, having failed to show up for football practice, reports the
. He was shirtless and in bare feet,...
As Her Captor Slowed
Car, She Made a
Desperate Move: Cops
Sep 7, 2022 11:36 AM CDT
As Her Captor Slowed Car, She Made a Desperate Move: Cops
Vancouver woman saved with help from residents in Camas
- A man is facing kidnapping and robbery charges after a woman jumped out of the moving vehicle he was driving and sought help from homeowners near Vancouver, Washington, officials say. The woman knocked on the door of a Camas home around 4:30am Saturday, telling homeowner Jamie Woods that she...
Floatplane Crash Victims
Include Winemaker, Family
Sep 6, 2022 5:12 PM CDT
Floatplane Crash Victims Include Winemaker, Family
Civil rights activist was also among the 10 dead in Washington state crash
- A civil rights activist from Spokane, Washington, a business owner, and the founder of a winery and his family were on the floatplane that crashed in the waters of Puget Sound , killing 10. The US Coast Guard released the names of the victims early Tuesday. The body of one of...
10 Presumed Dead in
Sep 6, 2022 12:20 AM CDT
10 Presumed Dead in Washington State Floatplane Crash
One body found, search for 9 others, including child, called off
The US Coast Guard suspended the search Monday afternoon for nine people, including a child, who were missing after a floatplane crashed in the waters of Puget Sound northwest of Seattle, the AP reports. The body of a 10th person, an unidentified female, was recovered by a Good Samaritan...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
The Business Climate
Is Tops in This State
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
The Business Climate Is Tops in This State
North Carolina comes out on top in CNBC survey of best, worst US states for business
- Looking to close a deal? Conducting business and staying competitive can prove a challenging endeavor, but in some states, the business world is booming. CNBC has released its 15th annual "America's Top States for Business" survey to help point movers and shakers in the right direction. It scores...
Chief Who Displayed
Nazi Insignia Will
Get $1.5M Payout
Jun 12, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Chief Who Displayed Nazi Insignia Will Get $1.5M Payout
Seattle-area city is paying him to resign
- A suburban Seattle city will pay more than $1.5 million to settle a dispute with a former assistant police chief who was disciplined for posting a Nazi rank insignia on his office door and joking about the Holocaust. Former Kent Assistant Police Chief Derek Kammerzell, who had been with...
While on Trail
May 31, 2022 2:03 PM CDT
Girl Survives Cougar Attack While on Trail
9-year-old Washington girl is recovering
- A 9-year-old girl is hospitalized in Washington state after becoming the rare victim of a cougar attack in that state. The girl was walking on a camping trail near Fruitland on Saturday morning with two friends when the cougar attacked, reports KXLY . The two friends ran for help, and the...
Millennials, You May Want
to Head to This State
May 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Millennials, You May Want to Head to This State
Washington ranks first in WalletHub's rankings for most appealing places for the 26-41 set
- Whether you call them Generation Y or millennials, the group wedged between Generation X and Generation Z—ie, those born between 1981 and 1996 —has its own particular wants and needs when looking for a place to settle down. WalletHub wanted to figure out the most appealing states for...
She Drops Phone in Outhouse.
Things Get Much Worse
Apr 23, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
She Drops Phone in Outhouse. Things Get Much Worse
Woman gets stuck in toilet trying to retrieve it in Olympic National Forest
- A woman who accidentally dropped her cellphone into the hole of an outhouse in a national forest and fell in while trying to retrieve it had to be rescued by firefighters in Washington state, per the AP . Brinnon Fire Department Chief Tim Manly said the woman, who was at the...
Feds: We Caught Man Who
Faked His Own Death in 2016
Apr 6, 2022 12:53 PM CDT
Feds: We Caught Man Who Faked His Own Death in 2016
Jacob Greer arrested six years after allegedly writing a suicide note
- An Iowa man who "faked his own death" to avoid standing trial on child pornography charges has been arrested some six years after the fact, authorities say. "The arrest of Jacob Greer after six years is a testament to the tenacity of Deputy US Marshals and our investigative...
Here Are the
10 Best States
for Remote Workers
Apr 5, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best States for Remote Workers
The Garden State tops WalletHub's list
- During the pandemic, much of America got a taste of what it's like to be a full-time telecommuter. Now that many businesses have started to open back up, a good number of them are allowing workers to remain remote. To see which states are most conducive to this type...
State Adopts Alerts
for Missing Indigenous People
Mar 31, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
State Adopts Alerts for Missing Indigenous People
Washington's system, the nation's first, is similar to Amber Alerts
- Washington Gov. Jay Inslee on Thursday signed into law a bill that creates a first-in-the-nation statewide alert system for missing Indigenous people. The law creates a system similar to Amber Alerts and so-called silver alerts, which are used respectively for missing children and vulnerable adults in many states. The system...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.