Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Game Developers Irate Over
'Phenomenally Unpopular' Fee
Sep 15, 2023 11:12 AM CDT
Game Developers Irate Over 'Phenomenally Unpopular' Fee
Unity Technologies shuts 2 offices after death threat comes in over controversial new cost
- Earlier this week, Unity Technologies, a video game software company based in San Francisco, made an announcement that roiled the gaming world: It would begin charging developers a 20-cent fee each time a user installed one of its games, a "phenomenally unpopular" move that set off "widespread anger,...
SF Officials Say Robotaxis
Contributed to Person's Death
Sep 6, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
SF Officials Say Robotaxis Contributed to Person's Death
Protests followed San Francisco Fire Department's report
- Protesters gathered at the San Francisco headquarters of robotaxi company Cruise Monday after claims came out that two of the company's self-driving vehicles contributed to a person's death last month. The San Francisco Fire Department released a report last week regarding the August 14 incident, in which an...
Robotaxis Allowed to
Expand Services in
Aug 11, 2023 4:46 AM CDT
Robotaxis Allowed to Expand Services in San Francisco
State commission gives 2 rival services the green light
- California regulators on Thursday approved an expansion that will allow two rival robotaxi services to operate throughout San Francisco at all hours, despite safety worries spurred by recurring problems with unexpected stops and other erratic behavior that resulted in unmanned vehicles blocking traffic, including emergency vehicles. The state's Public...
'X' No Longer Marks Musk's HQ
Jul 31, 2023 4:53 PM CDT
'X' No Longer Marks Musk's HQ
Crews remove huge sign on San Francisco building after complaints
- After sparking complaints about the safety of the structure and its blinding illumination, the giant "X" sign atop the downtown San Francisco building housing headquarters for the company formerly known as Twitter has been removed. The huge, flashing, unpermitted marker lasted three days. City officials said they received 24...
Owner for Closing
Jul 25, 2023 12:49 PM CDT
Possible Surprise Owner for Closing Anchor Brewing: Its Workers
Unionized staffers are trying to raise funds to save San Francisco beer-maker
- Earlier this month, things looked grim for Anchor Brewing; in fact, Wikipedia was still describing the San Francisco-based brewery in the past tense as of Tuesday morning. Its shutdown may not be permanent, however—at least not if its workers have a say. Quartz reports Anchor's unionized staff is...
Diversify or Die: San Francisco's
Downtown Is a Wake-up Call
Jul 22, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Diversify or Die: San Francisco's Downtown Is a Wake-up Call
Though the pandemic is fading, people aren't coming back
- Jack Mogannam, manager of Sam's Cable Car Lounge in downtown San Francisco, relishes the days when his bar stayed open past midnight every night, welcoming crowds that jostled on the streets, bar hopped, window browsed, or just took in the night air. He's had to drastically curtail...
Man Who Hosed Homeless
Woman: San Francisco Is Broken
Jul 20, 2023 2:15 AM CDT
Man Who Hosed Homeless Woman: San Francisco Is Broken
Collier Gwin says what he did was wrong, but officials need to do something about the city
- The San Francisco gallery owner who was recorded hosing down a homeless woman camped out on the sidewalk and later charged with battery over the incident is speaking out. In a piece at the
Wall Street Journal
, Collier Gwin admits he lost his temper and shouldn't have sprayed the...
Here Are the Best-Run
Cities in America
Jun 24, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best-Run Cities in America
Nampa, Idaho, is No. 1 in WalletHub's rankings, while San Francisco comes in last
- Running a city is no small task—and the past few years, marred by COVID and economic struggles, have tacked new challenges onto the old ones for those in such leadership roles. To see which of America's 150 or so largest cities are operating at peak efficiency, WalletHub looked...
This Is America's
Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
Jun 13, 2023 4:16 PM CDT
This Is America's Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
San Francisco takes the top spot in LawnStarter's rankings, while Florida's Hialeah falls to the bottom
- It's almost the midway point in Pride Month, the celebration and commemoration of LGBTQ+ pride, with events taking place nationwide—including at the White House . LawnStarter decided to scout out what parts of the country are most pride-friendly, looking at 20 metrics for 200 of the America's largest...
This Is the Friendliest
City in the World
Jun 12, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
This Is the Friendliest City in the World
Toronto takes the top spot in Preply's rankings; 2 US cities also make the top 10
- Looking forward to a summer vacation, or even a relocation? Preply is out with its Community Spirit Index , which ranks more than 50 cities around the world in terms of how friendly they are to non-natives. The language learning app examined six main metrics to gather a sense of how...
These US Cities Are
a Runner's Paradise
Jun 3, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
These US Cities Are a Runner's Paradise
Relative to the other cities in Lawn Love's latest fitness ranking; San Francisco tops the list
- Next Wednesday is Global Running Day, and some cities are more amenable than others if you're in training to be the next Jackie Joyner-Kersee or Usain Bolt—or even if you just like hitting the pavement to burn off some stress and stay fit. Lawn Love scouted the 200...
Behind Tech Entrepreneur's
Death: 'The Lifestyle'
May 21, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Behind Tech Entrepreneur's Death: 'The Lifestyle'
'Wall Street Journal' looks at the underground party scene linked to killing of Bob Lee
- After Cash App founder Bob Lee was stabbed to death in San Francisco last month, police arrested 38-year-old Nima Momemi , who was allegedly upset over Lee's relationship with Momemi's sister. Now the
Wall Street Journal
reports on another apparent factor: Lee's participation in what's known as...
City Names America's
First Drag Laureate
May 18, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
City Names America's First Drag Laureate
'My goals are to make San Francisco sparkle,' D'Arcy Drollinger says
- Anti-trans legislation is roiling the nation, and bills prohibiting drag performances are cropping up in statehouses. San Francisco is fighting back Thursday by naming the nation's first drag laureate, an ambassador-style position designed to represent the city's famous LGBTQ+ community at a time when rights are under attack,...
Autopsy: Bob Lee Had
Alcohol, Drugs in System
May 2, 2023 9:06 PM CDT
Autopsy: Bob Lee Had Alcohol, Drugs in System
Doctors fought for hours to save stabbed tech entrepreneur
- Cash App founder Bob Lee had alcohol and drugs including cocaine and ketamine in his system when he was stabbed in San Francisco last month, though the cause of death was clearly the stab wounds to his heart and one of his lungs, according to an autopsy report released Tuesday....
Ex-Fire Commissioner Accused
of Attacking Homeless People
Apr 27, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Ex-Fire Commissioner Accused of Attacking Homeless People
San Francisco public defender: Don Carmignani may be behind as many as 8 attacks
- Earlier this month, Don Carmignani, San Francisco's ex-fire commissioner, was brutally attacked in the city's Marina District, with cellphone video showing him being beaten by another man wielding some sort of metal weapon. Garret Allen Doty, a 24-year-old homeless man, was arrested in the case and now faces...
This Is the Most
Apr 23, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
This Is the Most Sustainable City in America
San Francisco tops LawnStarter's list
- Saturday is Earth Day, so LawnStarter compared the 200 biggest cities in America to find the most (and least) sustainable ones. The site looked at more than two dozen metrics in five main categories:
, including incentives and policies that center on energy efficiency and renewables;
Suspected Killer's Sister Sent
Cash App Founder Strange Text
Apr 15, 2023 6:10 AM CDT
Suspected Killer's Sister Sent Cash App Founder Strange Text
Police say Cash App founder Bob Lee and his suspected killer were arguing over the sister
- Cash App founder Bob Lee apparently knew his suspected killer, tech entrepreneur Nima Momeni , through Momeni's sister, according to a new court filing that offers the most details yet on Lee's fatal stabbing in San Francisco in the wee hours of April 4. A friend of Lee's...
Man Suspected of Murdering
Cash App Founder Identified
Apr 14, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Man Suspected of Murdering Cash App Founder Identified
Nima Momeni is an IT consultant and entrepreneur
- The man accused of murdering Cash App founder Bob Lee has been identified as Nima Momeni, an IT consultant and entrepreneur who apparently founded a company called Expand IT in 2010, according to the
San Francisco Chronicle
. San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott confirms victim Bob Lee knew Momeni but...
Heavy Security Wasn't Enough
to Keep One Whole Foods Open
Apr 12, 2023 11:27 AM CDT
Heavy Security Wasn't Enough to Keep One Whole Foods Open
A 'flagship store' in San Francisco has been battling theft and disturbances
- A massive Whole Foods "flagship store" that opened in March 2022 in San Francisco has temporarily shut down, with the grocer saying the move was necessary to "ensure the safety" of its workers. Whole Foods did not elaborate on the closure of the 65,000-square-foot store, but SFGate...
Elon Musk: Landlord Doesn't
Like New Sign at Twitter HQ
Apr 10, 2023 6:29 AM CDT
Elon Musk: Landlord Doesn't Like New Sign at Twitter HQ
CEO covered up 'w,' apparently got flak for it
- Last week, photos started to emerge showing the sign outside Twitter's San Francisco headquarters with an odd alteration: The "w" in "Twitter" looked like it was covered up with a small tarp, so that the company name read instead as "Titter." Now, CEO Elon Musk...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
In Rare Move, Thomas Recuses Himself From Case
Predator Vigilante Fatally Shot in Restaurant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.