Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent news stories and current events about Russia on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
It Looks Like Russian Athletes
Will Compete in 2024 Games
Jan 26, 2023 2:57 PM CST
It Looks Like Russian Athletes Will Compete in 2024 Games
But they may have to be neutral and not support the Ukraine war
- Russia's path to sending a team to the Paris Olympics next year has become clearer amid fierce objections from Ukraine. The International Olympic Committee indicated on Wednesday it favors officially neutral athletes from Russia and its ally Belarus at the 2024 Olympics, despite a plea from Ukrainian President Volodymyr...
Ukraine Begged for Tanks.
It's Finally Getting Them
Jan 25, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Ukraine Begged for Tanks. It's Finally Getting Them
Germany says it will send its Leopard 2 heavy tanks; US expected to send its M1 Abrams tanks
- Earlier this month, NATO allies, including the US, agreed to send combat vehicles to Ukraine to assist it in its fight against Russia. Now, Western nations are taking things up a level, at Ukraine's request, promising to ship heavier weaponry, including tanks, to the war-torn country. On Wednesday, Germany...
Suspected Russian Spy Ship
Hanging Out by Hawaii
Jan 19, 2023 6:21 AM CST
Suspected Russian Spy Ship Hanging Out by Hawaii
Coast Guard has been monitoring the vessel, also spotted in the area in April, for weeks
- The US Coast Guard has for weeks been monitoring what is believed to be a Russian spy ship off the coast of Hawaii. The USCG described what is "believed to be an intelligence gathering ship" in a Wednesday news release, which was accompanied by video footage of the vessel....
Russia Releases Another
Jan 12, 2023 11:55 AM CST
Russia Releases Another Detained American
Case of Taylor Dudley hadn't been widely known
- Russia has released a US Navy veteran who'd been detained for nine months, reports the
. The name Taylor Dudley of Lansing, Michigan, may not ring a bell, however, because the 35-year-old's family had largely kept his case under the public radar, per CNN . Former New Mexico...
Leaked Too Much
Jan 12, 2023 8:07 AM CST
Story on Russian Troops, Source Code Leaked Too Much
Phone numbers of soldiers, others exposed, putting at risk those who criticized war and Putin
- In late September, the
New York Times
published an interactive report that effectively spied on Russian soldiers' unauthorized calls home from the front lines of the Ukraine war, revealing a "crisis in morale" and "an inside view of a military in disarray." That story likely wasn't...
Russia to Send Rescue Capsule
for Astronauts on ISS
Jan 11, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Russia to Send Rescue Capsule for Astronauts on ISS
Damaged Soyuz means there's only one other 'escape pod,' with just 4 seats for 7 astronauts
- Last month, a Soyuz MS-22 capsule docked at the International Space Station sprang a tiny leak , suspected to be the result of a meteoroid hit. Although Roscosmos, Russia's space agency, said the astronaut and two cosmonauts who flew to the ISS in September in that capsule—American Frank Rubio...
Putin's Ceasefire Has Begun.
No One Seems to Be Listening
Jan 6, 2023 1:34 PM CST
Putin's Ceasefire Has Begun. No One Seems to Be Listening
Artillery fire continues, apparently from both sides, after Putin's holiday mandate went into effect Friday
- Usually for a truce to work, even a temporary one, both sides have to be in agreement. Russian President Vladimir Putin is finding that out as a 36-hour ceasefire in the Ukraine war he called didn't get off to a great start on Friday, right as it began. The...
US, Other Allies Sending
Combat Vehicles to Ukraine
Jan 5, 2023 5:20 PM CST
US, Other Allies Sending Combat Vehicles to Ukraine
New American aid package is nearly $3B
- As the Russian-spurred war in Ukraine enters a new calendar year, Ukraine continues to push back hard, and its president is reupping an ask of Western allies. In a Wednesday night video address, Volodymyr Zelensky pleaded specifically for tanks and heavy weaponry, as officials in the country's east say...
Putin Orders 36-Hour
Ceasefire in Ukraine
Jan 5, 2023 10:07 AM CST
Putin Orders 36-Hour Ceasefire in Ukraine
His forces will halt fighting to observe Russian Orthodox Christmas holiday
- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday ordered Moscow's armed forces to hold a 36-hour ceasefire in Ukraine this weekend for the Russian Orthodox Christmas holiday, the Kremlin said. The order follows a proposal by the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, and will start at noon on...
Russia Blames Deadly Attack
on Soldiers' Phone Use
Jan 4, 2023 12:00 AM CST
Russia Blames Deadly Attack on Soldiers' Phone Use
It now acknowledges at least 89 deaths
- Russia now says at least 89 of its soldiers were killed in a New Year's Day missile attack in Ukraine's occupied Donetsk region, and it blames its own troops for the attack. The Russian military says its soldiers were using mobile phones, which they are not supposed to...
Russia Just Rolled Out a
Very Unusual Military Perk
Dec 28, 2022 7:34 AM CST
Russia Just Rolled Out a Very Unusual Military Perk
Soldiers will be able to freeze their sperm for free, take advantage of gratis treatment for infertility
- Vladimir Putin has called up 300,000 or so men to fight in the war in Ukraine—what he calls his "special military operation"—and now Russia is reacting to a particular demand that's emerged as a result of that. Per Al Jazeera , after the Russian president...
Moscow Retaliates for
Price Cap on Russian Oil
Dec 27, 2022 8:50 PM CST
Moscow Retaliates for Price Cap on Russian Oil
Putin signs decree barring sales to countries that imposed limit
- Russia says it's making good on its vow not to sell any oil under a price cap imposed by Western nations. Vladimir Putin signed a decree Monday stating that no oil will be sold to the Group of Seven nations, the European Union, and other allied nations between Feb....
After a Break, Oligarchs Start
Dropping Like Flies Again
Dec 27, 2022 12:34 PM CST
After a Break, Oligarchs Start Dropping Like Flies Again
3 Russian businessmen mysteriously die over weekend, including one who fell from hotel window
- It's been a while since the murky death of a Russian oligarch or other high-profile exec has made headlines, but this month saw that streak broken. Per the BBC , 65-year-old sausage magnate Pavel Antov, who's topped
' list of the richest Russian businessmen, was found dead Sunday at...
With One of Its Own
Dec 27, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Russia Answers Ukraine Ultimatum With One of Its Own
Moscow demands that Ukraine demilitarize
- Will Russia and Ukraine have peace talks? Vladimir Putin raised the possibility , but the two nations sound worlds apart at the moment based on their latest statements. On Tuesday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov warned that Ukraine must meet Moscow's demand for "demilitarization" and "denazification," as...
Putin Uses Word
Have Been Jailed For
Dec 23, 2022 12:25 AM CST
Putin Uses Word Anti-War Russians Have Been Jailed For
He calls invasion of Ukraine a 'war' for first time
- Vladimir Putin has been calling Russia's invasion of Ukraine a "special military operation," but on Thursday, the Russian president referred to it as a war for the first time. "Our goal is not to spin this flywheel of a military conflict, but, on the contrary, to...
Russia Scrubbing All Traces
of Ukraine from Mariupol
Dec 22, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Russia Scrubbing All Traces of Ukraine from Mariupol
The city with 10K graves has been 'Russified,' AP reports
- Eight months after Mariupol fell into Russian hands, Russia is eradicating all vestiges of Ukraine from it, along with the evidence of war crimes buried in its buildings, reports the AP . Workers are tearing down bombed-out buildings at a rate of at least one a day, hauling away shattered bodies...
Brittney Griner Wants You
to Send Paul Whelan a Letter
Dec 22, 2022 12:39 PM CST
Brittney Griner Wants You to Send Paul Whelan a Letter
WNBA wants people who supported her to do the same for other detained Americans
- Letters from supporters ensured Brittney Griner "never lost hope" during 10 months in Russian detention—and she hopes they'll do the same for Paul Whelan. "I hope you'll join me in writing to Paul Whelan and continuing to advocate for other Americans to be rescued and...
Now Putin's Sending in
the Clowns (and Musicians)
Dec 19, 2022 9:10 AM CST
Now Putin's Sending in the Clowns (and Musicians)
Russia to send musicians, circus performers to boost troops' morale during Ukraine invasion
- Russian troops' morale as the invasion of Ukraine nears its 11th month hasn't been great , and the coming winter isn't likely to help. Russian military strategists, however, think they've hit upon a solution: singers, musicians, and circus performers. The BBC reports that the country's Defense Ministry...
Zelensky 'Proud' After Foiled
Russian Attack on Kyiv
Dec 14, 2022 7:54 AM CST
Zelensky 'Proud' After Foiled Russian Attack on Kyiv
Air defense systems reportedly shot down all 13 drones
- For the first time in weeks, Russia launched a major drone attack on Ukraine's capital of Kyiv on Wednesday. Ukrainian officials said all 13 drones launched at the city in a pre-dawn attack were shot down and no one appeared to be injured. "All 13 were shot down...
Suspected FSB Officer
Arrested, Will Be
Extradited to US
Dec 14, 2022 12:02 AM CST
Suspected FSB Officer Arrested, Will Be Extradited to US
4 other Russians, 2 US men also charged
- A suspected officer with Russia’s Federal Security Service was among seven people charged by US prosecutors Tuesday with smuggling sensitive electronic components to help Russia's military effort, the AP reports. Prosecutors claimed the seven worked with two Moscow-based companies controlled by Russian intelligence services to acquire electronic components...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.