Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kicks a Male
Off of Spotify's
Nov 29, 2023 7:31 AM CST
Taylor Swift Kicks a Male Off of Spotify's Throne
She was the most-streamed artist of 2023, ending Bad Bunny's run
- It's her, hi—Taylor Swift is Spotify's 2023 most-played artist. According to Spotify Wrapped, Swift was 2023's most-streamed artist globally, raking in more than 26.1 billion streams since January 1. That means that the pop powerhouse has dethroned Puerto Rican reggaetón star Bad Bunny, who...
Music Is Made Differently Now
That We're All Streaming It
Oct 1, 2023 3:05 PM CDT
Music Is Made Differently Now That We're All Streaming It
The way streamers track success and pay artists has shaped songwriting
- Streaming has revolutionized the music industry in countless ways, including how songs are penned, the
Wall Street Journal
says. Hit songs are being written to keep pace with how sites like Spotify track success and pay artists, resulting in shorter tracks. The
cites analysis from blogger Michael Tauberg, who...
Spotify Exec Slams Harry
and Meghan: 'F--- Them'
Jun 19, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Spotify Exec Slams Harry and Meghan: 'F--- Them'
Bill Simmons calls royal couple 'grifters' after Spotify deal falls through
- The joint statement that announced Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's $20 million deal with Spotify is kaput noted the entities were "proud of the series we made together." Now, new comments from a top Spotify exec suggest things may have been a little more ... tense. "
a Wordle Cousin
Apr 16, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Spotify Ditches a Wordle Cousin
Platform drops Heardle, a song-guessing contest that uses a similar format
- Heardle, the name-that-tune game inspired by the Wordle craze, is being dropped by Spotify less than a year after the music-streaming giant acquired it. “After careful consideration, we have made the difficult decision to say goodbye to Heardle," Spotify said Saturday in a statement, per the AP . First...
Spotify Plans Layoffs, After
Boss Concedes Miscalculation
Jan 23, 2023 5:55 PM CST
Spotify Plans Layoffs, After Boss Concedes Miscalculation
Streaming platform will cut about 600 employees
- Chief executive Daniel Ek told employees Monday that Spotify has been cutting costs for months. "It simply hasn't been enough," the staff memo said. So about 600 employees, 6% of the workforce, will lose their jobs, the
New York Times
reports. Government filings show the audio streaming...
Aug 25, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
Meghan Markle Dethrones Joe Rogan Atop Spotify
Her new podcast is No. 1 on the platform's charts
- Joe Rogan has been king of the Spotify podcast charts for most of three years, but those charts now have a ruling queen instead. Meghan Markle was No. 1 on the platform's rankings Thursday, two days after the debut of her
podcast, reports The List .
The Joe Rogan
Meghan Markle Tries to
Trademark 500-Year-Old Word
Apr 6, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
Meghan Markle Tries to Trademark 500-Year-Old Word
'Archetypes' is the title of her new Spotify podcast, examining female stereotypes
- Meghan Markle is seeking to trademark "archetypes," which in addition to being a 500-year-old word is also the title of her upcoming Spotify-exclusive podcast. The Duchess of Sussex, acting through her Archewell Audio company, filed the application with the US Patent and Trademark Office in March, the same...
Report: Spotify's Rogan Deal
Worth Far More Than $100M
Feb 18, 2022 4:58 AM CST
Report: Spotify's Rogan Deal Worth Far More Than $100M
Sources say it was worth at least $200M
- When Joe Rogan signed a multiyear deal with Spotify in 2020, industry insiders estimated it was worth around $100 million—a record for the podcasting industry and a pay rise for a man who was already the world's highest-earning podcaster. Sources tell the
New York Times
and Pitchfork that...
Feb 9, 2022 1:16 AM CST
Joe Rogan Addresses Spotify Drama on Podcast
Calls the controversy a 'political hit job'
- Joe Rogan addressed the Spotify controversy he remains embroiled in ... on his Spotify podcast Tuesday. "This is a political hit job," he said while discussing the video of him using the n-word multiple times in the past with his guest, comic Akaash Singh. "They’re taking all...
Neil Young Has a Word of
Advice for Spotify Workers
Feb 8, 2022 7:01 AM CST
Neil Young Has a Word of Advice for Spotify Workers
Singer-songwriter is now urging workers at the streaming platform to quit
- Neil Young's beef with Spotify isn't over. After requesting all of his songs be taken off the streaming platform two weeks ago in protest of the misinformation put out by Joe Rogan's podcast—and after some other big names, including Joni Mitchell and his former CSNY bandmates...
Joe Rogan Offered
$100M to Quit Spotify
Feb 7, 2022 4:43 PM CST
Joe Rogan Offered $100M to Quit Spotify
'We are ready to fight alongside you,' Rumble CEO Chris Pavlovski tells podcaster
- If Joe Rogan is getting tired of apologizing for the contents of his podcasts, he might be tempted by an offer from video-sharing platform Rumble. The right-wing Canadian site is trying to lure Rogan away from Spotify with a $100 million deal, per the
Joe Rogan Experience
After N-Word Controversy,
Spotify Still Backing Joe Rogan
Feb 7, 2022 2:11 AM CST
After N-Word Controversy, Spotify Still Backing Joe Rogan
Podcaster had already apologized
Following the latest Joe Rogan controversy, Spotify is still standing by the podcaster. The streaming company's CEO said in a letter to employees released Sunday that he "strongly condemn[s]" Rogan's use of the n-word, but that "silencing Joe is not the answer." He said...
Crosby, Stills, Nash Also
Want Their Music Off Spotify
Feb 2, 2022 3:06 PM CST
Crosby, Stills, Nash Also Want Their Music Off Spotify
They're following Neil Young's lead
- It's not exactly the reunion fans had hoped for, but Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young are now back together—in opposition to COVID misinformation on Spotify. David Crosby, Stephen Stills, and Graham Nash, who split up acrimoniously in 2015, are following Neil Young's lead and asking their labels...
Amid Joe Rogan Drama, 'Delete
Spotify' Shows Up on Spotify
Feb 1, 2022 1:28 AM CST
Amid Joe Rogan Drama, 'Delete Spotify' Shows Up on Spotify
The band Belly puts image on its homepage
- Listen to Belly on Spotify, and you'll be met with an interesting message (at least, if you're listening via the desktop app): "Delete Spotify." That's what the image associated with the '90s alt-rock band's Spotify page reads, and the band's members confirm...
Joe Rogan, Spotify Respond
to Misinfo Protests
Jan 31, 2022 6:55 AM CST
Joe Rogan, Spotify Respond to Misinfo Protests
Podcaster says he doesn't think he's spreading bad info but agrees on new Spotify COVID advisories
- Scientists , doctors , and famous performers have come out in full force to slam the Spotify podcast of Joe Rogan, accusing him of spreading misinformation on COVID and climate change. Finally, Rogan is now publicly responding, as is the streaming platform. In a lengthy video posted to Instagram late Sunday,...
Jan 29, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Spotify Loses Another Big Name Over 'Irresponsible People'
Singer Joni Mitchell joins Neil Young in pushing back against Joe Rogan podcast, COVID misinfo
- Spotify has agreed to remove Neil Young's songs from its music-streaming platform—at Young's request, in protest of Joe Rogan's podcast and other COVID misinformation—and now it's got another famous name following suit. On Friday, singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell announced she, too, would be yanking her...
Scientists Take Issue With
Joe Rogan Podcast Discussion
Jan 28, 2022 8:00 AM CST
Scientists Take Issue With Joe Rogan Podcast Discussion
Experts label climate comments by guest Jordan Peterson as dangerous nonsense
- More critics are accusing the Spotify-exclusive Joe Rogan Experience podcast of sharing dangerous misinformation after Tuesday's episode in which a guest spouted what one scientist calls a "word salad of nonsense" about climate science. Just days after 270 members of the US scientific and medical communities demanded Spotify...
Spotify Says It's
Taking Down All
Neil Young's Music
Jan 26, 2022 5:57 PM CST
Spotify Says It's Taking Down All Neil Young's Music
Rocker wanted it pulled to protest Joe Rogan's COVID misinformation
: Spotify says it is removing Neil Young's music from its platform as per his request. The rocker said Monday that he wanted his music pulled to protest Joe Rogan's podcast and other COVID misinformation on Spotify. "We regret Neil’s decision to remove his music from...
Doctors Want Spotify to Do
Something About Joe Rogan
in case you missed it
Jan 16, 2022 2:15 PM CST
Doctors Want Spotify to Do Something About Joe Rogan
Open letter urges platform to bring in policy on medical misinformation
- Hundreds of medical professionals are asking Spotify to deal with medical misinformation on its platform—including problematic content on the show of its most popular podcaster. An open letter from 270 doctors, scientists, and other professionals says that throughout the pandemic, "Joe Rogan has repeatedly spread misleading and false...
Nov 22, 2021 2:58 AM CST
Thanks to Adele, a Change to Spotify's Shuffle Button
It's no longer the default option on album pages
- What Adele wants, Adele gets. The singer revealed this weekend that at her request, Spotify removed "shuffle" as the default option on album pages, because, as she explained, "We don’t create albums with so much care and thought into our track listing for no reason. Our art...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.