Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Doctors Want Spotify to Do
Something About Joe Rogan
in case you missed it
Jan 16, 2022 2:15 PM CST
Doctors Want Spotify to Do Something About Joe Rogan
Open letter urges platform to bring in policy on medical misinformation
- Hundreds of medical professionals are asking Spotify to deal with medical misinformation on its platform—including problematic content on the show of its most popular podcaster. An open letter from 270 doctors, scientists, and other professionals says that throughout the pandemic, "Joe Rogan has repeatedly spread misleading and false...
Nov 22, 2021 2:58 AM CST
Thanks to Adele, a Change to Spotify's Shuffle Button
It's no longer the default option on album pages
- What Adele wants, Adele gets. The singer revealed this weekend that at her request, Spotify removed "shuffle" as the default option on album pages, because, as she explained, "We don’t create albums with so much care and thought into our track listing for no reason. Our art...
Joe Rogan Returns to
the Subject of Vaccines
Apr 30, 2021 8:05 AM CDT
Joe Rogan Returns to the Subject of Vaccines
Says 'I'm not a doctor'
- Joe Rogan says he's not against vaccines—but he appears to be sticking to his view that young people don't need one for COVID-19. After the White House and Dr. Anthony Fauci countered Rogan's claims made on
The Joe Rogan Experience
last week, the podcast host again...
Apr 28, 2021 11:35 AM CDT
Joe Rogan's Spotify Comments on Vaccinations Get Notice
Podcast host said the idea of a child receiving a COVID-19 vaccine was 'crazy'
- In January, Spotify removed podcast host Pete Evans for spreading misinformation, saying it bans the promotion of "misleading content about COVID-19 that may cause offline harm and/or pose a direct threat to public health." Now, onlookers are waiting to see if and how that policy will apply to...
Woman Sues Over Podcast
on Woody Harrelson's Dad
Feb 28, 2021 6:11 AM CST
Woman Sues Over Podcast on Woody Harrelson's Dad
Dr. Chrysanthe Parker: 'Son of a Hitman' unfairly paints me as 'very unusual witness' in murder trial
- A Texas attorney and health care professional who was an eyewitness to the murder that put actor Woody Harrelson's father behind bars is now suing Spotify and others on the use of her interview for a podcast about the crime. Per Courthouse News , Dr. Chrysanthe Parker was a witness...
Duke and Duchess
Turn to Podcasting
Dec 15, 2020 12:07 PM CST
Duke and Duchess Turn to Podcasting
Harry and Meghan sign a deal with Spotify
- In 2020, Spotify has nabbed podcast deals with Joe Rogan , Michelle Obama , Kim Kardashian , and now a duke and duchess. Archewell Audio, a division of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's new production company , has signed an exclusive partnership with Spotify that will see the couple "host and produce...
Artist of 2020
Dec 1, 2020 7:38 AM CST
Here's Spotify's Most-Streamed Artist of 2020
Bad Bunny leads a list that includes Drake, J Balvin, Juice WRLD, and The Weeknd
- The year's most played artist on Spotify? Globally speaking: Bad Bunny. The Puerto Rican superstar is the music platform’s most-streamed artist of the year with 8.3 billion streams globally. The Latin Grammy winner and hitmaker, who released a new album last week, leads a top five list...
Spotify Faces Backlash
Over Alex Jones Appearance
Oct 29, 2020 4:02 AM CDT
Spotify Faces Backlash Over Alex Jones Appearance
He was a guest on Joe Rogan's podcast
- Alex Jones has been banned from Spotify and other major tech platforms—but the conspiracy theorist could still be heard on Joe Rogan's Spotify podcast Tuesday. The libertarian host uploaded a three-hour interview with Jones, causing a backlash from listeners who said Jones was spreading misinformation about vaccines and...
New Venture: Podcast
Jul 16, 2020 1:17 PM CDT
Michelle Obama's New Venture: Podcast
It debuts July 29 on Spotify
- Michelle Obama is getting into the podcast business. "The Michelle Obama Podcast" premieres July 29 on Spotify as part of a partnership with Higher Ground, the production company the former first lady launched with her husband to inspire young people, reports CNN . Episodes will center on "the relationships...
A Big Podcaster Just
Struck a Deal for 9 Figures
May 20, 2020 9:02 AM CDT
A Big Podcaster Just Struck a Deal for 9 Figures
Joe Rogan's show is moving exclusively to Spotify for a reported $100M
- Joe Rogan has one of the most popular podcasts in the world, and
figures he made about $30 million last year off it. That was enough to make him the highest-paid podcaster of 2019, but Rogan is now getting a very large raise. The
Joe Rogan Experience
Spotify for Dogs
Is Now a Thing
Jan 15, 2020 6:29 PM CST
Spotify for Dogs Is Now a Thing
Music streaming service now offers podcasts, custom playlists for dogs, cats, and other pets
- The real question is: Will the fish be able to hear it? If you've ever worried that your dog or cat might get lonely while you're at work, Spotify has come up with an official solution, per Reuters : pet-geared playlists and podcasts. After the company's research revealed...
'Terrifying' Doll Gets
Spotify Ad Banned
Oct 18, 2018 7:37 AM CDT
'Terrifying' Doll Gets Spotify Ad Banned
Even 'Havana' couldn't keep a UK watchdog group from banning it
- Spotify's latest ad features a catchy popular pop tune and "a medley of horror film tropes" in the lead-up to its final tagline, per NPR : "Killer songs you can't resist." But it's just that horror theme, along with what
calls a "terrifying...
Apple Just Made Big Move
Against Alex Jones
Aug 6, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Apple Just Made Big Move Against Alex Jones
iTunes removes much of Infowars content
- Alex Jones now has a lot more to vent about on his controversial Infowars network, but it will be harder for his fans to hear it. Apple removed five of six Infowars podcasts from iTunes, including the popular
Alex Jones Show
, reports BuzzFeed News . After the Apple decision, Facebook pulled...
Senators See Another Use
for Netflix and Spotify
Jul 19, 2018 2:27 AM CDT
Senators See Another Use for Netflix and Spotify
They want to extend emergency alert system
- People might find their Netflix binges interrupted by emergency alerts under a bipartisan bill announced in the Senate Wednesday. The READI Act—Reliable Emergency Alert Distribution Improvement—was introduced by Sen. John Thune of South Dakota and Sen. Brian Schatz of Hawaii, Gizmodo reports. It aims to reduce the chances...
Shot Dead in Florida
Jun 18, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Rapper XXXTentacion Shot Dead in Florida
Police have not released a motive in the up-and-comer's murder
- Troubled rapper-singer XXXTentacion was shot and killed Monday in Florida, authorities said. The 20-year-old rising star, whose real name is Jahseh Dwayne Onfroy, was pronounced dead Monday evening at a Fort Lauderdale-area hospital, the Broward Sheriff's Office said. He was shot earlier Monday outside a Deerfield Beach motorcycle...
In Wake of Allegations, Spotify
Makes Big R. Kelly Move
May 10, 2018 12:05 PM CDT
In Wake of Allegations, Spotify Makes Big R. Kelly Move
Controversial singer will not be promoted on the streaming service
- As allegations against R. Kelly and calls to #MuteRKelly mount, Spotify made a big move starting Thursday: It will no longer promote the R&B singer's music. That means that while Kelly's music will still be available on Spotify, it will not appear on any of the playlists...
A Look at Spotify's
Stock Market Debut
Apr 3, 2018 5:36 PM CDT
A Look at Spotify's 'Unconventional' Stock Market Debut
Its first day of trading was a success, but company's future is not guaranteed, experts say
- Spotify's opening act on Wall Street struck a chord with investors betting the unprofitable company's trend-setting music streaming service will maintain its early lead over Apple and other powerful challengers. After several hours of anticipation Tuesday morning, Spotify's shares traded as high as $169 in their stock...
Spotify Has a Very
Different Artist of
Year Than Grammys
Dec 5, 2017 10:55 AM CST
Spotify Has a Very Different Artist of Year Than Grammys
Ed Sheeran, largely shut out of awards nominations, is most streamed artist of the year
- The Grammys may have dissed Ed Sheeran, but Spotify says he's the most streamed artist of the year. The streaming service announced Tuesday that Sheeran tops its 2017 list with 6.3 billion streams. He also has Spotify's biggest album of the year with
You're Not Alone
Oct 21, 2016 12:51 PM CDT
Internet Acting Weird Today? You're Not Alone
Outages on Twitter, other sites after DDOS attack
- If you like to ease your way into the day by flipping on some Spotify tunes and checking out your Twitter feeds and favorite Reddit forums, Friday morning was probably pretty miserable. That's because those sites, and dozens of others, experienced annoying disruptions (or were down completely for some)...
The Genius Way
$2.6M Tax Bill
Sep 14, 2016 10:57 AM CDT
The Genius Way People Are Paying Nelly's $2.6M Tax Bill
By streaming 'Hot in Herre' and other Nelly hits about 287.2M times
- Cornell Iral Haynes Jr. is in trouble with the taxman, but you may be able to help. You also might be more inclined to lend a hand if you recognize Mr. Haynes by his stage name, Nelly, and realize that it would take just a few minutes on Spotify to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
She Died on African Hunting Trip. 5 Years Later, Husband Is Arrested
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.