Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Somalia Asks for Doctors
Oct 30, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Somalia Asks for Doctors After Bombings
At least 100 were killed, president says, in extremist group's attack
- Somalia’s president says that at least 100 people were killed in two car bombings Saturday at a busy junction in the capital in the country's deadliest attack since a truck bombing at the same spot five years ago killed more than 500. President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, at the...
Brazen Hotel Attack May
Signal Dangerous New Phase
Aug 21, 2022 9:01 AM CDT
Brazen Hotel Attack May Signal Dangerous New Phase
Al-Shabab stormed Hayat Hotel in Mogadishu after new president warns of crackdown
- Somali authorities on Sunday ended a deadly attack in which 21 people were killed and dozens more wounded when gunmen stormed a hotel in the capital, per the AP . It took Somali forces more than 30 hours to contain the fighters who had stormed Mogadishu's Hayat Hotel on Friday...
Militant Attack on Hotel Kills 20
Aug 20, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
Militant Attack on Hotel Kills 20
Troops fight al-Shabab militants in Mogadishu gunbattle
- Islamic militants have stormed a hotel in Somalia's capital, engaging in an hours-long exchange of fire with the security forces that left at least 20 people dead, according to police and witnesses. In addition, at least 40 people were wounded in the late Friday night attack, and security forces...
Biden Is Redeploying
Troops to Somalia
May 16, 2022 2:29 PM CDT
Biden Is Redeploying Troops to Somalia
Move to station forces in country reverses Trump order
- President Biden signed an order Monday to redeploy hundreds of US troops to Somalia to counter the Islamic extremist rebel group al-Shabab, an effort that American military leaders said had been hampered by Donald Trump's late-term decision to withdraw forces from the country. US troops will be repositioned from...
At Least 20 Dead After Car
Bombing in Somali Capital
Mar 6, 2021 5:30 AM CST
At Least 20 Dead After Car Bombing in Somali Capital
Vehicle with explosives crashed into popular restaurant in Mogadishu, Somalia
- The death toll has risen to at least 20 after a vehicle packed with explosives rammed into a popular restaurant in Somalia's capital on Friday night, with 30 wounded. The Somali National News Agency cited the Aamin ambulance service for the death toll. The Luul Yamani restaurant also was...
Feds: Man Trained as Pilot,
Planned 9/11-Style Attack
Dec 16, 2020 1:27 PM CST
Feds: Man Trained as Pilot, Planned 9/11-Style Attack
Kenyan man researched hijacking methods
- A Kenyan man has been indicted in a case that "eerily draws parallels" to the 9/11 attacks, the Department of Justice says. Cholo Abdi Abdullah "obtained pilot training in the Philippines in preparation for seeking to hijack a commercial aircraft and crash it into a building in the...
Trump: Pull US Troops Out
of This Nation by January
Dec 5, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Trump: Pull US Troops Out of This Nation by January
Somalia joins Afghanistan and Iraq in Trump's end-of-term troop drawdowns
- Last month, US officials announced President Trump would be pulling a significant number of US troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq by January. Now, another country joins the list, in a different part of the world. The Pentagon said Friday that nearly all of the 700 American troops in Somalia...
3 More Americans
Killed in Base Attack
Jan 5, 2020 4:01 PM CST
3 More Americans Killed in Base Attack
Al-Shabab strikes again, this time at Camp Simba in Manda Bay, Kenya
- With Iran on everyone's mind, Americans killed in Africa don't get much attention—but three were indeed killed Sunday at a military base in Kenya, NBC News reports. According to US Africa Command, al-Shabab forces attacked a base used by US troops before dawn, killing a US service...
FBI: $5M for
San Diego Man
Terror in Africa
Dec 3, 2019 7:11 AM CST
FBI: $5M for San Diego Man Now Supporting Terror in Africa
A new indictment, and a re-upped reward, for 37-year-old US citizen Jehad Serwan Mostafa
- Jehad Serwan Mostafa is worth quite a bit to the FBI—up to $5 million, in fact. That's how much the agency is offering for information leading to the arrest of the 37-year-old US citizen, who appears on its "Most Wanted Terrorist List," CNN reports. A new...
Amnesty: US Is Killing
Civilians in Somalia
Mar 20, 2019 5:08 AM CDT
Amnesty: US Is Killing Civilians in Somalia
Pentagon disputes report
- There is credible evidence that US military airstrikes in Somalia have killed or wounded nearly two dozen civilians, an international human rights group said Tuesday, charging that the Pentagon is not adequately investigating potential casualties. US Africa Command officials immediately disputed the allegations laid out in a report by Amnesty...
Survived 9/11 Killed
in Kenya Attack
Jan 16, 2019 11:00 AM CST
American Who Survived 9/11 Killed in Kenya Attack
Jason Spindler was eating lunch at targeted hotel
- He escaped one act of terrorism, but not a second. American Jason Spindler, a survivor of the 9/11 terror attacks, was among at least 14 people killed Tuesday when militants stormed a hotel and office complex in Nairobi, Kenya. Nairobi News cites colleagues as saying the founder and CEO of...
'All the Terrorists
Have Been Eliminated'
Jan 16, 2019 12:11 AM CST
'All the Terrorists Have Been Eliminated'
Kenya's president says 14 people were killed in attack on luxury hotel
- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta says 14 people were killed in Tuesday's attack on a hotel complex in the capital and the operation to neutralize the attackers is now over. Kenyatta did not say Wednesday how many attackers were involved. He urged Kenyans to "go back to work without...
'There Was No Time to Count
the Dead' in Nairobi Attack
Jan 15, 2019 12:34 PM CST
'There Was No Time to Count the Dead' in Nairobi Attack
Al-Shabab claims responsibility for attack on luxury hotel
- Extremists launched a deadly attack on a luxury hotel in Kenya's capital Tuesday, sending people fleeing in panic as explosions and heavy gunfire reverberated through the complex. A witness said he saw five bodies at the hotel entrance alone. Al-Shabab—the Somalia-based Islamic extremist group that carried out...
US Special Operations
Soldier Killed in Somalia
Jun 9, 2018 7:00 AM CDT
US Special Operations Soldier Killed in Somalia
Allegedly at hands of al-Shabab
- There are more than 7,300 US Special Operations forces soldiers operating around the world, reports the
New York Times
, and one lost his life in Africa on Friday. The BBC reports the incident in southwest Somalia was believed to be an ambush by al-Shabab militants; four other American service...
Militant Group Stones
Woman to Death
May 10, 2018 12:50 PM CDT
Militant Group Stones Woman to Death
Al-Shabab militants in Somalia execute her because she had multiple husbands
- A militant group in Somalia on Wednesday enacted a brutal sentence on a woman accused of having multiple husbands. Militants with al-Shabab buried the woman up to her neck, then pelted her to death with stones, while residents in the town of Sablale looked on. The death sentence came after...
Mother With Baby, 21 Others
Killed in Hotel Attack
Oct 28, 2017 4:28 PM CDT
Mother With Baby, 21 Others Killed in Hotel Attack
23 dead, more than 30 wounded in Mogadishu
- A suicide truck bomb exploded outside a popular hotel in Somalia's capital on Saturday, killing at least 23 people and wounding more than 30, and gunfire continued as security forces pursued other attackers inside the building, police said. Two more blasts were heard, one when an attacker detonated a...
After Somalia Bombing
Oct 16, 2017 3:08 AM CDT
Hospitals See 'Unspeakable Horrors' After Somalia Bombing
Death toll is now at 276, with hundreds wounded
- The most powerful bomb blast ever witnessed in Somalia's capital killed 276 people, with around 300 others injured, the country's information minister said early Monday, making it the deadliest single attack in the nation's history. In a tweet, Abdirahman Osman called the attack "barbaric" and said...
17 Killed in Mogadishu
Jun 15, 2017 12:17 AM CDT
17 Killed in Mogadishu Restaurant Siege
Somalia attack started with car bomb
- Gunmen posing as military forces were holding an unknown number of hostages inside a popular restaurant in Somalia's capital at dawn Thursday after an attack that began when a car bomb exploded at the gate, police say. The extremist group al-Shabab has claimed responsibility. At least 17 people, including...
Killed in Somalia
Was 15-Year Vet,
May 6, 2017 3:53 PM CDT
Navy SEAL Killed in Somalia Was 15-Year Vet, Track Star
Kyle Milliken was killed during a firefight Thursday in Somalia
- The Department of Defense has identified the Navy SEAL killed Thursday in Somalia as 38-year-old Kyle Milliken, a senior chief special warfare operator from Maine, CBS News reports. According to NBC News , Milliken joined the Navy in 2002 and was a member of SEAL Team Six. He earned four Bronze...
Navy SEAL Killed
in Somalia Raid
May 5, 2017 10:56 AM CDT
Navy SEAL Killed in Somalia Raid
2 others hurt in battle with al-Shabab fighters
- A Navy SEAL was killed and two other US service members were wounded in an attack on al-Qaeda affiliate al-Shabab in Somalia on Thursday, say US officials. US Africa Command says the casualties—including what is believed to be the first combat death of a US soldier in the country...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Police: On-the-Lam Torture Suspect Is Dead
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.