Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Border Agents Can't Touch
Texas' Barbed Wire: Judge
Oct 31, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Border Agents Can't Touch Texas' Barbed Wire: Judge
Temporary order includes exemption for cases likely to result in serious injury or death
- Texas won a temporary victory over the federal government Monday as a federal judge blocked Border Patrol agents from cutting through the state's barbed wire fence along the Rio Grande, meant to deter migrants from crossing into the US. Texas has spent $11 million to buy more than 70,...
Nov 11, 2022 4:15 PM CST
Top Border Official Refuses Request to Resign
Chris Magnus says he'll go to work Monday anyway
- "I have no plans to resign as CBP commissioner," Chris Magnus said in a statement Friday. That may conflict with the Biden administration's plans, the
New York Times
reports. Magnus said Alejandro Mayorkas, secretary of Homeland Security, gave him a choice: Resign or be fired by President...
Teams Search for Victims After
9 Deaths in Rising Rio Grande
Sep 3, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Teams Search for Victims After 9 Deaths in Rising Rio Grande
River water was flowing five times faster than usual after heavy rain
- Officials on both sides of the US-Mexico border searched for more victims Saturday after at least nine migrants died while trying to cross the rain-swollen Rio Grande, a dangerous border-crossing attempt in an area where the river level had risen by more than 2 feet in a single day. US...
Packed With the Baby Wipes:
Aug 31, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
Packed With the Baby Wipes: Much Cocaine
Border Patrol estimates the street value at $11.8M
- Border Patrol officers at the Colombia-Solidarity Bridge near Laredo, Texas, decided somebody should take a second look at a trailer truck supposedly transporting baby wipes. What the agency described as a canine and "non-intrusive" inspection last weekend found unlisted cargo: 1,935 packages holding about 1,533 pounds of...
Inquiry Finds No Whipping
but Faults Border Patrol
Jul 8, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Inquiry Finds No Whipping but Faults Border Patrol
Four personnel recommended for disciplinary action over treatment of migrants
- US Border Patrol agents on horseback engaged in "unnecessary use of force" against non-threatening Haitian immigrants but didn't whip any with their reins "intentionally or otherwise," according to a federal investigation of chaotic scenes along the Texas-Mexico border last fall that sparked widespread condemnation. In a...
At Border, QAnon Is First
to Greet Some Children
May 15, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
At Border, QAnon Is First to Greet Some Children
Food, prayer, and a 'Let's Go Brandon' T-shirt for all
- QAnon adherents have positioned themselves in the Arizona desert to intercept unaccompanied minors, ostensibly to protect them from child traffickers. Jason Frank and his pals carry sidearms and Bibles, and they offer food, prayer, and “Let’s Go Brandon” T-shirts. According to the
New York Times ,
Frank focuses his...
Body of Soldier Who
Drowned Trying to
Rescue Migrants Found
Apr 25, 2022 3:26 PM CDT
Body of Soldier Who Drowned Trying to Rescue Migrants Found
Bishop Evans was a 'hero who risked his life in service of Texas and America'
- The body of a National Guard soldier who drowned while trying to rescue two struggling migrants from the Rio Grande was recovered Monday morning, authorities say. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said Specialist Bishop E. Evans, a 22-year-old Texas Guardsman from Arlington, was a "hero who risked his life in...
Harris 'Deeply Troubled'
by Images From Border
Sep 21, 2021 3:17 PM CDT
Harris 'Deeply Troubled' by Images From Border
Homeland Security says behavior of mounted Border Patrol agents will be investigated
- Vice President Kamala Harris says she is "deeply troubled" by images and videos of mounted Border Patrol officers using their animals to try to force back migrants at the Rio Grande. "Human beings should never be treated that way," Harris said Tuesday. Harris and Homeland Security Secretary...
White House Calls Apparent
Use of Whips at Border 'Horrific'
Sep 20, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
White House Calls Apparent Use of Whips at Border 'Horrific'
Border Patrol says matter is being looked into
- White House press secretary Jen Psaki says that images of federal agents apparently using whips on Haitian migrants at the border are "obviously horrific" and that the administration is trying to learn more about what happened. "I don't have the full context. I can't imagine what...
Mom Tries to Cross Rio Grande
With Kids, 9-Year-Old Dies
Mar 27, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Mom Tries to Cross Rio Grande With Kids, 9-Year-Old Dies
BP agents were able to resuscitate migrant mother, 3-year-old, but girl didn't regain consciousness
- Tragedy has struck a mother from Guatemala trying to make her way into the US with her two children, both Mexican nationals.
reports that on March 20, US Border Patrol agents received a rescue call after bystanders saw three people stranded on an island on the Mexican side of...
Photos of Border Facility
Crowded With Kids
Mar 22, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Lawmaker Releases Photos of Border Facility Crowded With Kids
Biden administration hasn't allowed media access
- A Democratic lawmaker from Texas has released photos of children being held at overcrowded conditions at a Border Patrol facility, saying he wants to raise awareness of the "terrible conditions for the children." Rep. Henry Cuellar, who provided photos of the temporary overflow center in Donna, Texas to...
Crossing Rio Grande
Feb 19, 2021 4:08 PM CST
8-Year-Old Drowns Crossing Rio Grande
Storm has made trying to reach Texas even more dangerous
- An 8-year-old boy from Honduras drowned while trying to cross the freezing Rio Grande from Mexico into Texas with his family. Although they had stopped on a small island, the boy "couldn't withstand the pounding water, which covered him and kept him submerged for several meters," Mexican...
Border Agent: I Detained
You for Speaking Spanish
Nov 27, 2020 3:45 PM CST
Border Agent: I Detained You for Speaking Spanish
Ana Suda and Martha Hernandez sued the Border Patrol
- Driving while Black is one thing. Looks like talking while Hispanic is another. Two US citizens have settled a lawsuit against US Customs and Border Protection that hinged on a border agent who heard them speaking Spanish, the
New York Times
reports. The agent detained Ana Suda and Martha Hernandez...
In Portland, 'It's Like Stop and
Frisk Meets Guantanamo Bay'
Jul 17, 2020 10:56 AM CDT
In Portland, 'It's Like Stop and Frisk Meets Guantanamo Bay'
Protesters accuse federal officers in unmarked vehicles of making unlawful arrests
- Protesters in Portland, Oregon, say unidentified federal agents dressed in camouflage have been driving around in unmarked minivans and grabbing people off the streets. The US Marshals Special Operations Group and the Border Patrol Tactical Unit have been sent to Portland to protect federal property. But protesters describe being detained...
Pregnant Teen Dies
Trying to Climb Border Wall
Mar 13, 2020 5:13 AM CDT
Pregnant Teen Dies Trying to Climb Border Wall
Smugglers left Guatemalan couple at wall
- A 19-year-old pregnant woman from Guatemala died this week from injuries suffered when she fell trying to climb the US border wall near El Paso, Texas, US and Guatemalan authorities said Thursday. Guatemala identified the woman as Mirian Stephany Girón Luna. Medical personnel tried to deliver her baby but...
Jan 25, 2020 5:45 PM CST
Border Patrol Bulldozes Iconic Garden
Seems smugglers were using the garden to sneak through
- The Border Patrol, reacting to a breach it discovered in a steel-pole border wall believed to be used by smugglers, gave activists no warning this month when it bulldozed the US side of a cross-border garden on an iconic bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, the AP reports. On Saturday, after...
Congressman's Drink of Water
Becomes a Flashpoint
Sep 5, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Congressman's Drink of Water Becomes a Flashpoint
Steve King says claims of immigrants drinking out of toilets are overblown, but AOC fires back
- Seldom has a drink of water caused such a political controversy. But Congressman Steve King's gulp at an immigration detention facility has reignited a debate about conditions on the US-Mexico border and drawn Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez into the fray. The details about what's going on:
The start of it:
US-Born Teen Detained by
Border Patrol Released
Jul 23, 2019 6:04 PM CDT
US-Born Teen Detained by Border Patrol Released
Francisco Erwin Galicia's case became immigration flashpoint
- A US-born 18-year-old was released from immigration custody Tuesday after wrongfully being detained for more than three weeks, the AP reports. Francisco Erwin Galicia left a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention center in Pearsall, Texas, on Tuesday. His lawyer, Claudia Galan, confirmed he had been released, less than a...
New Rule Makes
Big Change to Asylum Law
Jul 16, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
New Rule Makes Big Change to Asylum Law
It would vastly restrict number of migrants who can apply for asylum in America
- A new rule that fundamentally changes US asylum law and would dramatically reduce the number of migrants who can apply at the border goes into effect Tuesday, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. An immediate legal challenge is expected. The new rule, published in the Federal Register , stipulates that any migrant...
Border Patrol Chief Belonged
to Online Group She Criticized
Jul 12, 2019 10:31 AM CDT
Border Patrol Chief Belonged to Online Group She Criticized
Carla Provost did not post anything controversial herself in 'I'm 10-15'
- Earlier this month, Border Patrol chief Carla Provost condemned newly unearthed racist and sexist posts by agency employees as "completely inappropriate." Now, the Intercept reports a twist on the story: Provost herself once belonged to the private Facebook group in which they originated. She did not post anything...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.