Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
5 Dead as 7 Tornadoes
Tear Through Michigan
Aug 26, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
5 Dead as 7 Tornadoes Tear Through Michigan
Thousands also left without power amid severe storms
- At least seven tornadoes touched down in Michigan as part of severe storms powered by strong winds that killed five people, while downing trees, tearing roofs off buildings and leaving hundreds of thousands of customers without power, officials said. The National Weather Service on Friday said an EF-2 tornado with...
Tornado Hit on Pfizer Plant
Could Cause Drug Shortages
Jul 20, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
Tornado Hit on Pfizer Plant Could Cause Drug Shortages
North Carolina facility made 25% of sterile injectable medication used in US hospitals
- A tornado that did serious damage to a Pfizer plant in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, on Wednesday has probably worsened America's nationwide drug shortage, Bloomberg reports. The tornado ripped off the pharmaceutical plant's roof, and the county sheriff said 50,000 pallets of medicine were damaged. According to...
Texas Gets Pummeled
With Weather Again
Jun 22, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Texas Gets Pummeled With Weather Again
'Killer tornadoes' strike in NW area of state, kill 4
- A line of severe storms produced what a meteorologist calls a rare combination of multiple tornadoes, hurricane-force winds, and softball-sized hail in northwest Texas, killing at least four people and causing significant damage around the town of Matador, per the AP . A supercell developed about 8pm Wednesday near Amarillo before...
Get Ready to
Jun 14, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Deep South, Get Ready to Get Walloped
Severe thunderstorms, winds, tornadoes, hail blowing through on Wednesday
- Americans in the Deep South might want to find a nice Yankee cousin to visit for a couple of days, because the weather is looking to be, shall we say, unpleasant? As Weather.com reports, a strong jet stream is ripping through the region starting Wednesday, bringing with it severe...
2 Dead as
Strike Central US
Apr 20, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
2 Dead as Tornadoes Strike Central US
Severe weather also includes winds, hail
- Strong storms including tornadoes, winds, and hail moved through parts of the Central US on Wednesday, killing at least two people, causing injuries, destroying homes and leaving thousands without power, the AP reports. The National Weather Service began issuing tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings Wednesday evening in Oklahoma, Kansas, and...
Tornado Hits Missouri;
Multiple People Dead
Apr 5, 2023 9:42 AM CDT
Tornado Hits Missouri; Multiple People Dead
Deadly weather system continues to wreak havoc, with more on the horizon
- A tornado that tore through southeastern Missouri on Wednesday caused widespread destruction and killed and injured multiple people, the AP reports. The tornado moved through a rural area of Bollinger County, about 50 miles south of St. Louis, between 3:30 and 4am, said Sgt. Clark Parrott of the Missouri...
Meteorologist: Go Back
to the Basement
Apr 4, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
Meteorologist: Go Back to the Basement
Residents are warned to line up shelter before going to sleep
- People still sorting through the wreckage of their homes after deadly weather over the weekend braced for another wave of strong storms, likely including tornadoes, that were expected in parts of the Midwest and South beginning Tuesday evening. Officials warned residents to have shelter ready before going to sleep. "...
Weekend Tornadoes Damaged
40% of a Tennessee County
Apr 3, 2023 9:54 AM CDT
Weekend Tornadoes Damaged 40% of a Tennessee County
Nationwide, 32 deaths have been reported
- The devastation from weekend tornadoes that ripped through several states over the weekend was still being assessed on Monday morning. So far, authorities have put the death toll at 32, including 15 fatalities in Tennessee, nine of them coming in McNairy County alone, reports the AP . Arkansas and Indiana had...
'Absolute Chaos' as Tornadoes
Rip Through Multiple States
Apr 1, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
'Absolute Chaos' as Tornadoes Rip Through Multiple States
At least 21 are dead as severe weather blasts through Illinois, Arkansas, Indiana, Iowa, Oklahoma
- The scope of the destruction caused by what may have been dozens of tornadoes that swept through parts of the South and Midwest the day before became clearer late Saturday. Officials raised the death toll to 21, the AP reports; seven of the victims were killed in Tennessee's McNairy...
People in South, Midwest
Urged to Prepare for
Mar 31, 2023 10:21 AM CDT
People in South, Midwest Urged to Prepare for Dangerous Weather
Conditions are similar to those before last week's deadly Mississippi storm
- Meteorologists are urging people in parts of the Midwest and southern US to be ready Friday for dangerous weather including tornadoes, saying the conditions are similar to those a week ago that unleashed a devastating twister that killed at least 21 people in Mississippi. An outbreak of severe thunderstorms has...
Meteorologist Sees Tornado
Track on Air, Offers a Prayer
Mar 26, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Meteorologist Sees Tornado Track on Air, Offers a Prayer
Matt Laubhan of WTVA in Mississippi has an emotional moment while watching storm
- A meteorologist in Mississippi was on the air Friday night tracking a massive tornado about to touch down when he got a live update on the storm's path. "Oh man," said Matt Laubhan of WTVA, per Fox News . "North side of Amory this is coming in....
'To Protect Your Life,
TAKE COVER NOW!'
Mar 25, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
'To Protect Your Life, TAKE COVER NOW!'
Tornado sweeps through Mississippi, Alabama, killing at least 26
- A powerful tornado tore through rural Mississippi and Alabama on Friday night, killing at least 26 people, reports CNN . The tornado also destroyed buildings and knocked out power as severe weather that produced hail the size of golf balls moved through several Southern states and prompted authorities to warn some...
So Long, Midwest:
Tornado Alley Has a
New Favorite Target
Jan 27, 2023 1:25 PM CST
So Long, Midwest: Tornado Alley Has a New Favorite Target
Instances of tornadoes in Great Plains are down, while they're more frequent in the Southeast
- Parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska have long been such rich tornado-magnets that the area was less-than-charmingly dubbed "Tornado Alley ." But as NBC News reports, Tornado Alley looks to be picking itself up and moving south, with researchers noting a pattern in recent years of fewer twisters...
4 Members of Same Family
Killed in Alabama Tornadoes
Jan 16, 2023 12:58 AM CST
4 Members of Same Family Killed in Alabama Tornadoes
They lived in 2 separate houses on the same road
- Four of the people killed in tornadoes in Alabama last week were members of the same family. Robert Gardner Jr., 70, and Deanna Marie Corbin, 59, lived at one house on Sandy Ridge Road in Prattville, and Christopher Allen Corbin Jr, 46, and Tessa Celeste Desmet, 21, lived at another...
South Begins Cleanup
After Tornado Damage
Dec 15, 2022 5:15 PM CST
South Begins Cleanup After Tornado Damage
Storms across the South kill at least 3 people
- Communities from Texas to Florida commenced assisting survivors and cleaning up Thursday after tornadoes left scattered destruction and at least three people dead across the South. To the north, blizzards continued to pound the Midwest as more ice and snow headed toward New England. Three straight days of volatile weather...
Boy, His Mom
Killed by Tornadoes
That Swept the South
Dec 15, 2022 2:23 AM CST
Boy, His Mom Killed by Tornadoes That Swept the South
Widespread destruction reported
- The severe storm system currently lashing the US brought at least 21 tornadoes that ripped through Louisiana over a 24-hour period Tuesday into Wednesday. A total of 49 tornado reports came in across the South during that time period, including twisters in Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, and Florida, and CNN reports...
Severe Storms May Impact
30M Americans This Week
Nov 28, 2022 1:29 PM CST
Severe Storms May Impact 30M Americans This Week
'Massive system' could bring supercell thunderstorms and tornadoes
- With regard to weather, it could be an ugly week across much of the South and Midwest, as a huge storm system makes its way across the country from the Pacific Northwest, per the
USA Today .
Gregg Gallina of the National Weather Service said the system is “pretty typical”...
Havoc in 2 States
Nov 5, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Tornadoes Wreak Havoc in 2 States
At least one person is dead and dozens hurt in Texas, Oklahoma after bout of extreme weather
- Tornadoes tore through parts of Texas and Oklahoma on Friday, killing at least one person, injuring dozens of others, and leaving dozens of homes and buildings in ruins. Tornadoes hit hard in McCurtain County, Okla., in the southeastern corner of the state. Cody McDaniel, the county's emergency manager, confirmed...
May 21, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
One Dead, Dozens Hurt After 'Catastrophic' Tornado
Michigan declares state of emergency after twister sweeps through Gaylord
- "The town is devastated." That was the assessment Friday of Jordan Awrey, a member of the City Council in Gaylord, after a tornado swept through the Michigan town on Friday, killing one and wreaking havoc on buildings, cars, and other structures. Michigan State Police say 44 people were...
Friday Night Twister
Slams Into Wichita
Apr 30, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Friday Night Twister Slams Into Wichita
And other parts of Kansas, where some homes were 'completely blown away' by twister
- A tornado that barreled through parts of Kansas damaged multiple buildings, injured several people, and left more than 6,500 people without power, officials said Saturday. Officials said the twister moved through parts of southeast Wichita and Andover on Friday evening, per the AP . Andover Fire Chief Chad Russell said...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
'Unapproved' Schools Illustrate an Education Trend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.