Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
5 Die in Accident in
Sep 6, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
5 Die in Accident in 'Instagram-Famous' Elevator
Hotel workers die when the inclined elevator they were in plunged hundreds of feet
- Tragedy struck a Balinese resort on Friday afternoon: Five hotel workers died when the cable pulling the inclined elevator they were in snapped, sending them more than 200 feet down a ravine and causing them to break through a barrier at the lift's base, reports the
New Zealand Herald
Zoo: We've 'Never Experienced
an Accident Like This'
Aug 30, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
Zoo: We've 'Never Experienced an Accident Like This'
Mila, a Siberian tiger at Colorado's Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, suffered injury under anesthesia
- There are thought to be roughly 1,000 Siberian tigers in the world, the majority of those held in captivity. Now, there's one fewer. A critically endangered Siberian tiger held at a Colorado zoo died in a "freak accident" Friday during preparations for a dental procedure, ABC News...
3 People, Dog Die in
Texas Cornfield Tragedy
Aug 11, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
3 People, Dog Die in Texas Cornfield Tragedy
They tried to rescue dog, each other from uncovered cistern
- An underground structure used to store water in a Texas cornfield became a literal death trap for three people from Florida and their dog, police say. The Bastrop County Sheriff's Office says officers received a call around 1am Wednesday about three people trapped in a hole. The sheriff's...
Deadly Cheese Collapse
Sounded Like Thunder
Aug 7, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Deadly Cheese Collapse Sounded Like Thunder
Italian cheesemaker was crushed under thousands of falling cheese wheels
- A beloved cheesemaker in northern Italy died Sunday night, crushed under thousands of wheels of his own product. Authorities say a shelf broke while 74-year-old Giacomo Chiapparini was in a cheese warehouse in the Lombardy region, starting a domino effect that caused around 25,000 wheels of hard cheese, each...
Man Falls Into Manhole, Is
Swept a Mile Through Sewers
Jul 8, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Man Falls Into Manhole, Is Swept a Mile Through Sewers
'Amazing' that he lived through it, city official says after rescue in Omaha, Nebraska
- Firefighters rescued two Nebraska men who fell into a manhole during heavy rain in downtown Omaha on Friday, including one who was washed about a mile through sewer pipes before getting trapped behind a metal grate, per the AP . The men, who were workers for a private contractor, Ace Pipe...
Woman Loses Leg
on Airport's Moving Walkway
Jun 29, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Woman Loses Leg on Airport's Moving Walkway
Horrific accident happened in Thailand
- A woman's leg had to be amputated in a Thai airport after it was trapped by a moving walkway Thursday, officials said. The 57-year-old Thai passenger was due to board a morning flight from Bangkok's Don Mueang Airport to the southern Nakhon Si Thammarat province when she was...
Teen Equestrian Killed by
Her Horse During Competition
May 3, 2023 12:05 PM CDT
Teen Equestrian Killed by Her Horse During Competition
Sunday incident in Florida triggered by horse planting its left foot for 'unknown reasons'
- A 15-year-old equestrian's horse tripped during competition on Sunday and suffered a rotational fall that ended up causing the Florida girl's death. Hannah Serfass was roughly halfway through the course of a jumper event at the Fox Lea Farm Spring Concours I in Venice when the incident happened....
Someone Celebrated His
Baseball Win a Little Too Hard
Mar 16, 2023 10:23 AM CDT
Someone Celebrated His Baseball Win a Little Too Hard
Mets closer Edwin Diaz may be out for season after hurting knee in World Baseball Classic celebration
- New York Mets closer Edwin Diaz suffered a possibly season-ending injury Wednesday at a World Baseball Classic game, but it wasn't during the game itself. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Diaz, 28, finished off the ninth inning during the international tournament in Miami for Puerto Rico's 5-2...
Investigators Trace Fall
of Prop Helicopter Into Pool
Feb 25, 2023 3:35 PM CST
Investigators Trace Fall of Prop Helicopter Into Pool
Wire rope was damaged, officials say, as water park reopens
- New Jersey investigators say a damaged wire rope was behind the plunge of a decorative helicopter into a swimming pool last weekend at a water park, which the state allowed to reopen Saturday. A spokeswoman for the state agency that oversees the park said the wire rope "used to...
After a Drowning,
Ride Closes for Good
Feb 7, 2023 10:00 AM CST
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Adventureland in Iowa is being sued over the 2021 incident
- An amusement park in Iowa has permanently closed a ride on which an 11-year-old boy drowned in 2021. Adventureland announced that its Raging River ride is closed for good, reports the
. The family of victim Michael Jaramillo is suing the park, alleging negligence after a 1,700-pound raft...
Worker Sucked Into Jet Engine
Told Not to Go Near It Twice
Jan 25, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Worker Sucked Into Jet Engine Told Not to Go Near It Twice
The NTSB releases a preliminary report on the Dec. 31 accident
- The American Airlines ground crew worker who died at Montgomery Regional Airport in Alabama when she was "ingested into the engine" of a parked plane had received multiple warnings about getting too close to running engines, the National Transportation Safety Board said in a preliminary report on the Dec....
With One Misstep,
Dog Shoots, Kills Hunter
Jan 24, 2023 2:19 PM CST
With One Misstep, Dog Shoots, Kills Hunter
Loaded gun went off in a pickup truck in Kansas, authorities say
- A dog fatally shot a member of its hunting party over the weekend. Yes, you read that correctly. The dog stepped on a loaded rifle in the backseat of a pickup truck Saturday morning in Kansas' Sumner County, the sheriff's office said, per KAKE . The gun went off, with...
Ski Patroller Killed
in Fall From Lift
Jan 5, 2023 8:17 AM CST
Ski Patroller Killed in Fall From Lift
Christian Helger of Utah's Park City Mountain Resort died after tree fell on chairlift cable
- A 29-year-old ski patroller died Monday when he was knocked from a chairlift at Utah's Park City Mountain Resort. Ten others were safely rescued from the chairlift, which began to rock significantly when a large pine tree fell onto a lift cable around 10:45am, according to the Summit...
Man Dies in
in NYC Subway
Oct 25, 2022 2:53 PM CDT
Man Dies in Freak Accident in NYC Subway
He was reportedly running for the train, didn't make it
- The latest tragedy to occur in the New York City subway wasn't a crime but rather a horrible accident. The
New York Daily News
reports it involves a 20-year-old man who was on the Upper West Side trying to board a southbound train at the 59th Street Columbus Circle...
Ohio Runner's Ear
Nearly Severed by Deer
Oct 12, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
Ohio Runner's Ear Nearly Severed by Deer
Rebecca Heasley was participating in a local race
- An Ohio woman who was running a two-hour "Space Race" on Oct. 1 ended up having a frighteningly out-of-this-world experience. As Rebecca Heasley of Willowick explains, she initially thought she was hit by another runner who got too close to her. Then she saw blood on her hands. A...
Street, a Routine
Oct 12, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
On Tree-Lined Street, a Routine Trimming Turns Tragic
Tree trimmer dies after being pulled into wood chipper in Menlo Park, Calif.
- What residents describe as routine arboricultural care in their tree-lined California neighborhood ended in tragedy on Tuesday. Authorities say a tree trimmer working in Menlo Park, located on the outskirts of San Francisco, was killed after he fell or was pulled into a wood chipper shortly before 1pm, reports the...
Baggage Handler Killed in
Freak Accident at NOLA Airport
Sep 1, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Baggage Handler Killed in Freak Accident at NOLA Airport
Jermani Thompson was unloading baggage from a flight that had landed
- A 26-year-old employee at the New Orleans airport was killed in a freak accident on Tuesday night. Jermani Thompson was working on the tarmac where planes are parked and was in the process of offloading luggage from a Frontier flight that had landed when her hair became caught in the...
'Violent' Winds Lead to Death,
Injuries at Music Fest
Aug 13, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
'Violent' Winds Lead to Death, Injuries at Music Fest
One person killed, 'dozens' injured after part of stage collapses at Spain's Medusa Fest in Cullera
- The plan for Friday evening at Spain's Medusa Festival, the first night of the six-day event, involved multiple DJs entertaining the crowds across five stages all night long. But that's not how things went down, after high winds caused a portion of the main stage to collapse, killing...
SC Woman Killed by
Umbrella on Beach Outing
Aug 12, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
SC Woman Killed by Umbrella on Beach Outing
Tammy Perreault, 63, died Wednesday in South Carolina
- A midweek beach outing turned tragic for a South Carolina woman after an umbrella blew over and fatally impaled her. WMBF reports that 63-year-old Tammy Perreault of Horry County was struck in the chest Wednesday around 12:40pm by the umbrella. It had toppled with the wind on the shore...
Subway Rider Killed After
Pants Get Snagged in Door
Jun 16, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Subway Rider Killed After Pants Get Snagged in Door
NYPD is investigating early morning fatal accident
- A rider on the New York City subway is dead after a freak accident Wednesday night—his pants got snagged in the doors of the train, reports the
. Police say 37-year-old Marcus Bryant was getting off a train at a Brooklyn station when his pants, and possibly his...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.