Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to Go to Auschwitz
Nov 15, 2022 9:55 AM CST
He Volunteered to Go to Auschwitz
Witold Pilecki was executed by Poland after the war, and his son is now seeking compensation
- The son of World War II Auschwitz death camp hero Witold Pilecki is seeking millions in compensation from the Polish government for his father's post-war arrest and 1948 execution by the country's communist authorities of the time. The case opened last week before a Warsaw court and the...
Doubt Cast on
in case you missed it
Feb 13, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Doubt Cast on 'Most Shocking Holocaust Item'
Tattoo stamps allegedly used at Auschwitz may have been made later
A tattoo kit touted as "the most shocking Holocaust item" may not date to the Holocaust at all. After the planned auction of the steel-needle stamps, which were allegedly used to tattoo Jews at Auschwitz, was blocked in November, the court asked Israel's Yad Vashem center to...
Female Tourist Detained After
Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
Jan 24, 2022 2:29 AM CST
Female Tourist Detained After Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
She said it was a 'bad joke'
- A Dutch tourist stood in front of the "Arbeit Macht Frei (Work Sets You Free)" gate at the site of the former Auschwitz-Birkenau Nazi death camp in Poland on Sunday and gave the Nazi salute while posing for a photo. The 29-year-old woman said it was just a "...
Fauci Fires Back at Lara
Logan Over Nazi Comparison
Dec 3, 2021 12:11 PM CST
Fauci Fires Back at Lara Logan Over Nazi Comparison
Fox Nation host compared health official to 'Angel of Death' doctor Josef Mengele
- Lara Logan has some strong feelings about Dr. Anthony Fauci, and she's now drawing flak for her comments about him. Per CNN Business , the Fox Nation host and former CBS News journalist appeared Monday on
Fox News Primetime
and went after the White House's chief medical adviser during...
Now Covers Auschwitz
Oct 6, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Antisemitic Graffiti Now Covers Auschwitz
9 barracks vandalized Tuesday with English, German slurs
- Antisemitic terms and other phrases denying the Holocaust appeared Tuesday on at least nine buildings at the site of the former Nazi German death camp Auschwitz, where at least 1.1 million prisoners died during the Holocaust, 90% of whom were Jews. The spray-painted graffiti was written in English and...
Music Helped Esther Bejarano
Survive Auschwitz, Fight Racism
Jul 10, 2021 2:05 PM CDT
Music Helped Esther Bejarano Survive Auschwitz, Fight Racism
Activist sometimes conveyed her message with a hip-hop group
- Esther Bejarano, a survivor of the Auschwitz death camp who devoted much of her life to the fight against antisemitism and racism—often through through the power of music—has died. She was 96. Bejarano died peacefully Saturday at the Jewish Hospital in Hamburg. A cause of death was not...
Last of Soldiers Who
Freed Auschwitz Dies at 98
Jun 6, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
Last of Soldiers Who Freed Auschwitz Dies at 98
Soviet Union's David Dushman flattened the death camp's fence with his tank
- David Dushman, the last surviving Soviet soldier involved in the liberation of the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz, has died. He was 98. The Jewish Community of Munich and Upper Bavaria said Sunday that Dushman had died at a Munich hospital on Saturday, per the AP . “Every witness...
Over Auschwitz Review
May 7, 2021 12:17 PM CDT
TripAdvisor Apologizes Over Auschwitz Review
Museum complained about insensitive post, and the travel website eventually agreed
- TripAdvisor has removed an insensitive review of the Auschwitz Museum after initially saying it complied with its submission guidelines, per the AP . The museum at the site of the Nazi concentration camp in Poland on Thursday tweeted that it had asked the Massachusetts-based travel website to take down a review...
Auschwitz Memorial Chief:
Let Me Serve Time for Boy, 13
Oct 1, 2020 11:55 AM CDT
Auschwitz Memorial Chief: Let Me Serve Time for Boy, 13
Nigeria's Omar Farouq has been sentenced to 10 years for blasphemy
- As director of the Auschwitz Memorial, Piotr Cywinski has a solid grasp of the horrors of detention. He's ready to dive in anyway. Cywinski has sent a letter to Nigeria's president requesting the pardon of a 13-year-old boy sentenced by a Sharia court to 10 years in prison...
The Protest Was in Chicago.
Criticism Came From Auschwitz
May 4, 2020 1:36 PM CDT
The Protest Was in Chicago. Criticism Came From Auschwitz
The Auschwitz Museum was no fan of the sign she carried
- One of the protesters who showed up in Chicago on Friday to rally against the lockdown measures in place wore an American flag mask on her face. The sign in her hands brought to mind another country and place altogether—and the Auschwitz Museum and Memorial wasn't pleased. Dennis...
Calls New Amazon Show
Feb 24, 2020 3:45 AM CST
Auschwitz Memorial Calls New Amazon Show 'Dangerous Foolishness'
'Hunters' invented game of 'human chess'
- A new Amazon Prime series about Nazi hunters includes some "dangerous foolishness," according to the Auschwitz Memorial. The memorial has strongly criticized a scene in which inmates are forced to kill each other in a game of "human chess," NBC reports. The memorial, a charity devoted...
Amazon Yanks Auschwitz-
Themed Christmas Decor
Dec 2, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Amazon Yanks Auschwitz- Themed Christmas Decor
Plus a bottle opener and 'Jewish Death' mouse pad
- If you find an Auschwitz-themed bottle opener or Christmas ornament to be in completely bad taste, you're not the only one. Per the
, the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum spent much of the weekend blasting Amazon online for offering Christmas decorations and other products featuring images of the Nazi...
She Sought to Combat Hate,
Only to Become a Target
Nov 7, 2019 10:50 AM CST
She Sought to Combat Hate, Only to Become a Target
Auschwitz survivor Liliana Segre under police protection following death threats
- An Italian senator for life and Holocaust survivor asked Parliament to establish a badly needed committee to fight hate. What followed might just prove her point. Liliana Segre, now under police protection, has been receiving some 200 hateful and anti-Semitic messages per day since Parliament passed her motion to establish...
Museum to Display Symbol
of Defiance at Auschwitz
Sep 23, 2019 9:05 AM CDT
Museum to Display Symbol of Defiance at Auschwitz
A shofar, or ram's horn, was smuggled in and blown by prisoners on holy days
- A Jewish museum in New York City on Monday will unveil a remarkable object—a shofar, or ram's horn trumpet, that was somehow smuggled into Auschwitz and used by prisoners as a symbol of hope and defiance, reports the
New York Times
. The shofar comes from Judith Tydor Schwartz,...
Americans Can Finally
See Holocaust Artifacts
Mar 31, 2019 3:32 PM CDT
Americans Can Finally See Holocaust Artifacts
700 of them arrived in Manhattan on Sunday
- On a Sunday morning, a crane lowered a rusty remnant of the Holocaust onto tracks outside Manhattan's Museum of Jewish Heritage—a vintage German train car like those used to transport men, women, and children to Auschwitz and other Nazi death camps, the AP reports. The windowless boxcar is...
Mar 14, 2019 1:10 PM CDT
Volkswagen Boss Sorry About Nazi Gaffe
Herbert Diess used phrase 'EBIT macht frei'
- Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess is in hot water for what he's now calling "definitely an unfortunate choice of words" he used at a company event Tuesday: "EBIT macht frei." If that sounds familiar, it's because it echoes "Arbeit Macht Frei," or "work...
Jan 27, 2019 11:57 AM CST
On Holocaust Remembrance Day, Some 'Shocking' Poll Results
1 in 20 Brits don't believe it even happened
- About 50 survivors of Auschwitz have marked the 74th anniversary of the Soviet army's liberation of the notorious Nazi death camp. It's an event now observed as International Holocaust Remembrance Day, which also acknowledges the 25th anniversary of the genocide in Rwanda and 40 years since the...
In a Single Coffin, 6 Victims
Finally Rest With 'Dignity'
Jan 21, 2019 7:20 AM CST
In a Single Coffin, 6 Victims Finally Rest With 'Dignity'
Remains of Holocaust victims found in museum are buried in England
- The remains of six unidentified Holocaust victims were buried in a solemn ceremony at a Jewish cemetery near London on Sunday after spending years in storage at a British museum. The Imperial War Museum found the ashes and bone fragments during a stock-taking last year, the AP reports. They'd...
Auschwitz Inmates' Song Tells
of 'Most Beautiful Time of Life'
Nov 27, 2018 11:41 AM CST
Auschwitz Inmates' Song Tells of 'Most Beautiful Time of Life'
It's been recorded for first time since WWII
- Patricia Hall went to the Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum in 2016 hoping to learn more about the music performed by prisoners in World War II death camps. The University of Michigan music theory professor heard there were manuscripts, but she was "completely thrown" by what she found in the card catalogs:...
Soccer Club's Racist Fans
to Get All-Expenses-Paid Trip
Oct 11, 2018 7:09 AM CDT
Soccer Club's Racist Fans to Get All-Expenses-Paid Trip
Racist Chelsea supporters can choose a ban or Auschwitz
- Hurling racial slurs at a Chelsea soccer match could mean an all-expenses-paid jaunt to Poland. It's not exactly a dreamy getaway: After years of issuing bans to racist fans, the English Premier League team is offering to send them instead to the Nazi death camp Auschwitz for a history...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.