Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Harry's Hits on 'Archnemesis'
William Keep on Coming
Jan 5, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Harry's Hits on 'Archnemesis' William Keep on Coming
In another leak from upcoming memoir, Harry says Will, Kate encouraged 2005 Nazi costume
- Prince Harry's memoir,
, is due out Tuesday, but some of the more explosive excerpts are already trickling out. On Wednesday it was reported that Harry details in his book a physical attack against him by his older brother, Prince William, in 2019 on the grounds of Kensington Palace....
Female Tourist Detained After
Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
Jan 24, 2022 2:29 AM CST
Female Tourist Detained After Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
She said it was a 'bad joke'
- A Dutch tourist stood in front of the "Arbeit Macht Frei (Work Sets You Free)" gate at the site of the former Auschwitz-Birkenau Nazi death camp in Poland on Sunday and gave the Nazi salute while posing for a photo. The 29-year-old woman said it was just a "...
Find Huge Stash
of Nazi Items
Oct 7, 2021 5:01 AM CDT
Cops Arrest Suspected Pedophile, Find Huge Stash of Nazi Items
'I'm no doctor, but he seems to me an insane psychopath'
- A man arrested in Brazil this week appeared to have two main interests, police say: Sexually abusing children and collecting Nazi memorabilia. Police say that when they went to the suspect's condo in Rio de Janiero Tuesday to arrest him on suspicion of raping a minor, they found a...
Gestapo Leader Didn't Have
to Hide From US After War
Apr 6, 2021 4:12 PM CDT
Gestapo Leader Didn't Have to Hide From US After War
Franz Josef Huber avoided punishment by working in German intelligence
- Although Austria wanted to try him for war crimes, Franz Josef Huber wasn't put on trial at Nuremberg. He didn't have to go into hiding or flee, newly released documents show, as other Nazi leaders did. Instead, Huber, a high-ranking Gestapo official who helped send thousands of Jews...
A Nazi-Era Wrong Is
About to Be Righted
Mar 16, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
A Nazi-Era Wrong Is About to Be Righted
France is returning Klimt painting to family that originally owned it
- Nora Stiasny, an Austrian Jew, inherited Gustav Klimt's
Rosiers sous les Arbres
from her uncle, but was forced by the Nazis to sell it in 1938 for vastly less than what it was worth. She was ultimately deported to a concentration camp in Poland, where she died in 1942....
The CPAC Stage Itself
Caused Quite a Commotion
Mar 2, 2021 11:45 AM CST
The CPAC Stage Itself Caused Quite a Commotion
Observers say stage and lighting display above it were in shape of symbol adopted by Nazis
- CPAC found its way into plenty of headlines over the past few days, but the conservative conference held at the Hyatt Regency in Orlando, Fla., is now raising eyebrows for something that usually escapes notice: the shape of the stage. The
reports that over the weekend, observers started...
After 60-Plus Years in US,
Ex-Nazi Guard Gets the Boot
Feb 20, 2021 9:00 AM CST
After 60-Plus Years in US, Ex-Nazi Guard Gets the Boot
Friedrich Karl Berger, 95, deported for working at 'atrocious' Neuengamme subcamp in Germany
- Authorities in the US deported a 95-year-old man Friday who acknowledged working as a guard in a Nazi concentration camp. The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said in a statement that Friedrich Karl Berger, a German citizen, was sent back to Germany this month for serving as a guard for...
Former Nazi Guard, 100,
Charged as Accessory to Murder
Feb 10, 2021 12:07 AM CST
Former Nazi Guard, 100, Charged as Accessory to Murder
Unnamed man hit with more than 3.5K counts
- German prosecutors have charged a 100-year-old man with 3,518 counts of being an accessory to murder on allegations he served during World War II as a Nazi SS guard at a concentration camp on the outskirts of Berlin, authorities said Tuesday. The man is alleged to have worked at...
Walmart Bans Couple
Who Wore Swastika Masks
Jul 27, 2020 3:18 AM CDT
Walmart Bans Couple Who Wore Swastika Masks
They were reportedly protesting mask mandate, Joe Biden
- A couple who flaunted their swastika masks at a Minnesota Walmart has been banned from Walmarts across the US for at least a year, BuzzFeed News reports. A video of the couple taken Saturday was posted to Facebook, where it went viral (you can watch it here , but be warned...
He Was a Teen SS Guard.
Jul 23, 2020 6:55 AM CDT
He Was a Teen SS Guard. Now, Consequences
Bruno Dey, 93, receives 2-year suspended sentence for WWII atrocities at Stutthof
- An ex-SS guard who served at a Nazi death camp when he was a teen was found guilty Thursday of being an accessory to 5,232 murders. CBS News reports Bruno Dey, 93, had faced up to 10 years in prison, with prosecutors seeking three. He instead received a two-year...
Cops: Man Shot Woman Who
Took Down His Nazi Flag
Jun 30, 2020 6:08 PM CDT
Cops: Man Shot Woman Who Took Down His Nazi Flag
Oklahoma woman took flag on a dare, sheriff says
- While the debate about taking down Confederate flags raged in some parts of the country, an Oklahoma woman was nearly killed for taking down a Nazi flag. Police say the 26-year-old woman was shot multiple times early Sunday after taking one of two swastika flags from the front yard of...
Ex-Nazi, 94, Found
Living in Memphis
Mar 6, 2020 10:25 AM CST
Ex-Nazi, 94, Found Living in Memphis
Friedrich Karl Berger, in the US for 60 years, will be deported to Germany
- The US government said Thursday that it's deporting a 94-year-old German ex-Nazi who has been in the United States for decades. An immigration judge ordered Friedrich Karl Berger's deportation on Feb. 28 after a two-day trial in Memphis, Tenn., authorities said. It's unclear when he'll be...
He Long Denied Role
in 28K Deaths. Now, This
Jan 28, 2020 2:29 PM CST
He Long Denied Role in 28K Deaths. Now, This
Historian says this is John Demjanjuk
- Two newly released photos might confirm what John Demjanjuk long denied—his service as a Nazi death camp guard, the
reports. The Ukrainian-born American claimed he was never at the Sobibor death camp, where more than 167,000 Jews were murdered, and died in 2012 appealing a conviction...
Activists Sorry for Using
Remains of Holocaust Victims
Dec 5, 2019 11:44 AM CST
Activists Sorry for Using Remains of Holocaust Victims
Needless to say, the stunt did not go over well
- An activist group has apologized to Jewish organizations outraged over their use of purported Holocaust victims’ remains in an installation outside Germany’s parliament building meant to draw attention to the perils of far-right extremism. The Center for Political Beauty, an activist group known for provocative stunts, installed an urn...
He Bought Hitler's Top Hat,
and Has a Plan for It
Nov 25, 2019 11:47 AM CST
He Bought Hitler's Top Hat, and Has a Plan for It
Abdallah Chatila will donate items to Jewish group
- A Swiss-based real estate mogul who was fearful of Adolf Hitler's top hat and other Nazi items falling "into the wrong hands" did something about it, reports the BBC —and it cost him a pretty penny. After reading about Jewish groups who tried and failed to prevent...
Boy's Halloween Costume Gets
2 School Officials Suspended
Nov 4, 2019 7:09 AM CST
Boy's Halloween Costume Gets 2 School Officials Suspended
Utah elementary student dressed like Hitler in parade
- A student's Halloween costume has gotten his teacher and principal suspended at an elementary school near Salt Lake City, Utah. The reason? The boy dressed up like Hitler— complete with a swastika-adorned brown shirt and fake mustache—and marched in the Halloween parade at Creekside Elementary, reports the
Mar 14, 2019 1:10 PM CDT
Volkswagen Boss Sorry About Nazi Gaffe
Herbert Diess used phrase 'EBIT macht frei'
- Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess is in hot water for what he's now calling "definitely an unfortunate choice of words" he used at a company event Tuesday: "EBIT macht frei." If that sounds familiar, it's because it echoes "Arbeit Macht Frei," or "work...
Pictured at Party
Giving Nazi Salute
Mar 5, 2019 5:16 PM CST
California Teens Pictured at Party With Swastika, Giving Nazi Salute
Photograph went viral, led to outcry
- A California school district is investigating a social media photograph in which young people are seen giving Nazi salutes while standing around a table on which red cups form a swastika, the AP reports. The Newport-Mesa Unified School District was made aware Sunday of social media postings "involving some...
These May Be the
3 Deadliest Months
in Human History
in case you missed it
Jan 5, 2019 5:35 PM CST
These May Be the 3 Deadliest Months in Human History
In terms of people killed by their fellow man
- When it comes to people killed by human hands, it's likely "the deadliest three months in human history," as
puts it. That would be August through October 1942, according to a new peer-reviewed study. Researchers used detailed train transportation records to estimate 1.47 million...
Dad Who Took 'Nazi Salute' Pic:
Boys Were Just Waving Bye
Nov 13, 2018 7:02 PM CST
Dad Who Took 'Nazi Salute' Pic: Boys Were Just Waving Bye
Though he admits 'the optics aren't good'
- The parent who took a photo of Wisconsin high school boys giving what appears to be a Nazi salute on the steps of a local courthouse said Tuesday he was simply asking the teens to wave goodbye to their parents before they headed to prom and never anticipated the image...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
When a Bear Came, Mom Knew What to Do
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.