Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Speaks Out on E-Cigs
Oct 7, 2019 11:19 AM CDT
First Lady Speaks Out on E-Cigs
Stop marketing to kids, says Melania Trump
- Melania Trump is calling on companies to stop marketing e-cigarettes to children, saying they're addictive and dangerous. The first lady—who with President Trump has a 13-year-old son, Barron—says teenagers and young adults must be encouraged to admit addiction, including to electronic cigarettes and vaping, and get help....
Doctors: Lungs Have Been
'Torched' in Vaping Patients
Oct 3, 2019 5:35 AM CDT
Doctors: Lungs Have Been 'Torched' in Vaping Patients
Mayo Clinic experts say damage resembles that seen after chemical weapon attacks
- Doctors still aren't sure exactly what has caused a spate of vaping-related deaths and illnesses around the country—but they know it is doing horrific damage to people's lungs. Doctors at the Mayo Clinic say tests of lung tissue from 17 patients show a pattern of injury that...
Sep 28, 2019 8:15 AM CDT
Another State Joins Push Against Flavored Vape Products
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee approves 4-month ban: 'This executive order will save lives'
- Washington is joining several other states in banning the sale of flavored vaping products amid concern over the mysterious lung illness that has sickened hundreds of people and killed about a dozen across the country. Gov. Jay Inslee signed an executive order Friday asking the state Board of Health to...
Scary New Find
Made in Bootleg Vapes
Sep 27, 2019 3:25 PM CDT
Scary New Find Made in Bootleg Vapes
NBC test sample turns up hydrogen cyanide
- Not what anyone needs to be smoking: cyanide. As America's vaping crisis continues, 10 unregulated vaping cartridges have tested positive for pesticides—including a fungicide that can turn into hydrogen cyanide if burned, NBC News reports. "You certainly don't want to be smoking cyanide," says Antonio...
FDA Takes Heat
Death Toll Rises
Sep 26, 2019 7:20 AM CDT
FDA Takes Heat as Vaping-Tied Death Toll Rises
11 people nationwide are said to have died from vaping-related illnesses so far
- The health departments of two new states put up sobering notices this week. Both Florida and Georgia announced their first vaping-related fatalities, bringing the recorded national death toll to 11, CNN reports. There's scant info on the Florida death, but the death in Georgia—a state that so far...
Juul Honcho Is
Out as Ads Halt
Sep 25, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Juul Honcho Is Out as Ads Halt
Company says it won't lobby against proposed ban on some e-cigarettes
- E-cigarette maker Juul has a new face at the helm with the vaping industry falling under greater scrutiny. The company announced Wednesday that CEO Kevin Burns will be replaced by KC Crosthwaite, who currently serves as senior vice president for chief strategy and growth at tobacco giant Altria, reports the...
This State Just Made Harshest
Anti-Vaping Move Yet
Sep 25, 2019 8:05 AM CDT
This State Just Made Harshest Anti-Vaping Move Yet
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker bans sale of all vaping products for 4 months
- One state just got extra-tough on vaping. Gov. Charlie Baker has put a complete kibosh on the sale (either online or at brick-and-mortar stores) of all nicotine and marijuana vaping products throughout Massachusetts, from now until Jan. 25,
reports. The ban, which was given the green light by...
A Massive Market
Sep 24, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
A Massive Market Plans Crackdown on Vaping
New controls will be brought in China next month
- China plans to join governments that are imposing controls on tobacco liquid and additives for e-cigarettes amid rising concern about deaths and illnesses blamed on vaping, a state news agency said Tuesday. Rules due out as early as next month also will cover e-cigarette devices and packaging, the China News...
Sep 20, 2019 2:11 PM CDT
Walmart Will Stop Selling E-Cigarettes
Retailer's stores, including Sam's Club, won't replace current inventory
- Citing the uncertainty surrounding the products' future, including possible regulatory actions, Walmart said it will stop selling e-cigarettes. An internal memo said the retailer will sell the stock on hand in its Walmart and Sam's Club stores in the US. Then, CNBC reports the memo says, "We plan...
First State Enacts Ban
on Sale of Flavored E-Cigs
Sep 17, 2019 6:15 PM CDT
First State Enacts Ban on Sale of Flavored E-Cigs
New York panel approves emergency regulation
- New York became the first state to ban the sale of flavored e-cigarettes Tuesday, a move that comes as federal health officials investigate a mysterious surge of severe breathing illnesses linked to vaping. The vote by the state Public Health and Health Planning Council means the prohibition, which covers flavored...
A 7th Death
Tied to Vaping,
as One State
Makes a Big Move
Sep 17, 2019 8:20 AM CDT
A 7th Death Tied to Vaping, as One State Makes a Big Move
California, site of most recent fatality, is launching a $20M anti-vaping ad campaign
- As officials try to figure out what's causing a spate of vaping illnesses, some proving fatal , news of another death has come in. CNN reports that the most recent e-cigarette fatality, the nation's seventh so far, is a 40-year-old from California, the second death in that state. A...
Big Vaping Bust May Explain
Why People Are Getting Sick
Sep 16, 2019 1:33 AM CDT
Big Vaping Bust May Explain Why People Are Getting Sick
Wisconsin police arrest Tyler Huffhines and Jacob Huffhines for alleged vaping operation
- A stunning Wisconsin drug bust may help explain why vapers have been getting sick and dying , the
New York Times
reports. Police recently burst into a condo in a quiet subdivision and found an operation for filling vaping cartridges with THC-laced liquid. The raid netted 31,200 filled cartridges, 98,...
Moves to Ban
Sep 15, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
Another State Moves to Ban Flavored E-Cigs
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo sharply criticized the flavors
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is pushing to enact a statewide ban on the sale of flavored e-cigarettes amid growing health concerns connected to vaping, especially among young people, the AP reports. The Democrat announced Sunday that the state health commissioner would be making a recommendation this week to the...
FDA's Move on E-Cigarettes
Is One It Had Resisted
Sep 11, 2019 12:58 PM CDT
FDA's Move on E-Cigarettes Is One It Had Resisted
Trump administration looking to ban flavored e-cigarettes
- President Trump says his administration will move to ban flavored e-cigarettes amid an outbreak of breathing problems tied to vaping. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar says the FDA will develop guidelines to remove all e-cigarette flavors from the market. CNBC quotes Azar as saying it will be a...
Alabama School Fights
Vaping in Unusual Way
Sep 9, 2019 9:40 AM CDT
Alabama School Fights Vaping in Unusual Way
Bathroom stall doors are no more
- An Alabama high school has decided to remove some of the doors from its bathroom stalls in an effort to stop students vaping in campus bathrooms, reports the AP . Gary Horton, principal at Wilson High School, tells WAFF the removal of some of the stall doors in the boys restroom...
A 2nd Vaper Dies in US
Sep 5, 2019 6:38 AM CDT
A 2nd Vaper Dies in US
Oregon patient died in July after vaping THC
- Oregon health officials are investigating the death of an individual who developed a severe respiratory illness after vaping; if a link is confirmed, it would be the country's second vaping-related death. A lead investigator on the new case, Dr. Ann Thomas, tells the
New York Times
that the person...
Sep 4, 2019 11:48 AM CDT
A First: Entire State Will Ban Flavored E-Cigs
Michigan will institute emergency ban
- Flavored e-cigarettes are controversial due to how attractive they are to teens—but until now, no state had actually banned them. That changed Wednesday as Michigan became the first to announce it will be barring their sale. The ban won't actually go into effect until the state health department...
Death Could Be Nation's First
Connected to Vaping
Aug 23, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Death Could Be Nation's First Connected to Vaping
Number of possible cases is rising quickly
- A death in Illinois announced Friday by health officials could be the first in the nation connected to the use of e-cigarettes. The adult patient had vaped and was later hospitalized with severe respiratory illness, Fox News reports. No other information about the patient was released. "The severity of...
This Is How Quickly
Vaping Alters the Body
Aug 20, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
This Is How Quickly Vaping Alters the Body
And that's without the nicotine or flavorings
- A new study is casting yet another shadow over e-cigarettes. Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania say participants who inhaled only vape juice—no nicotine, no flavorings—suffered temporary changes to their cardiovascular system,
reports. The study found that brain, heart, and leg arteries in the 31 participants constricted...
Doctors 'Baffled' by
Near-Deaths of Vapers
Aug 16, 2019 12:20 PM CDT
Doctors 'Baffled' by Near-Deaths of Vapers
Dozens have fallen ill in at least 6 states
- As many as 50 people in at least six states have come down with breathing illnesses that may be linked to e-cigarettes or other vaping products, reports the AP . No deaths have been reported, but at least a few have come close. Some patients have likened onset of the illness...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.