Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
If You Get a Call From
'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
Jun 21, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
If You Get a Call From 'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
$13M has been stolen from the elderly in a rare-wine scam
- The world of fine wine and whiskey continues to be a magnet for thieves and frauds . The
reports on allegations that three England-based companies claiming huge returns on investments in rare booze actually stole more than $13 million from at least 150 Americans—many of them elderly. Representatives...
Romance Scammer Posed
With Wads of Cash in Photos
May 5, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Romance Scammer Posed With Wads of Cash in Photos
New Jersey's Rubbin Sarpong is sentenced to 14 years in prison
- A New Jersey man just got sentenced to 14 years in prison over an online scam in which he tricked about 40 women on dating websites into sending him money. Prosecutors say one of the women killed herself after wiring him $93,000 and realizing she'd been duped, reports...
She Asked the Handyman Out.
She Would Come to Regret It
Apr 30, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
She Asked the Handyman Out. She Would Come to Regret It
'Toronto Life' delves into Heather Rovet's relationship with an alleged serial scammer
- It was an innocuous start. The handyman who showed up to fix her cabinets in July 2018 turned out to be talkative and charming. On a return visit to fix a towel rack, Heather Rovet asked him out, and the relationship quickly became serious. She wouldn't learn what a...
Fall Victim to
Easter Egg Scam
Apr 18, 2022 8:20 PM CDT
Florida Parents Fall Victim to Easter Egg Scam
They say they were asked to pay in advance for 'Egg My Yard' deal
- A cruel scam left children in central Florida thinking the Easter Bunny had skipped their home, parents say. The scammed parents say somebody calling themselves "Sarah Honey" advertised an "Egg My Yard" deal on social media, promising to scatter eggs filled with candy or toys in yards, along...
SIM Swaps Are on the Rise
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 26, 2022 6:00 PM CST
SIM Swaps Are on the Rise
The sophisticated scam cost people $68M last year
- Beware the SIM swap. The FBI says the sophisticated scam that involves hackers getting access to first your cell phone and then your financial accounts is on the rise, Fox News reports. It starts with scammers getting someone's personal details, which can be done via phishing emails, phishing calls,...
Cops: Grandma Outsmarts
Her Would-Be Scammer
Jan 24, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Cops: Grandma Outsmarts Her Would-Be Scammer
Long Island woman, 73, lures him to her home, where police were waiting
- This time, the "grandparent scam" backfired in a big way an on alleged scammer. Police on Long Island say a 73-year-old woman lured a man trying to con her out of $8,000 to her home, where officers arrested him, reports News 12 . The case unfolded last week, when...
Victim of Harvard Jobs Scam:
'How Could I Be So Stupid?'
Dec 25, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Victim of Harvard Jobs Scam: 'How Could I Be So Stupid?'
'NYT' digs in to the fraudsters who targeted Nidhi Razdan, others
- "How could I be so stupid?" It's the question that repeats in Nidhi Razdan's brain. She's the former NDTV news anchor who in January revealed she had been the victim of a sophisticated scam: one in which she quit her high-profile job to take a position...
Police: Teenage Thief
Got $36M in Cryptocurrency
Nov 17, 2021 6:16 PM CST
Police: Teenage Thief Got $36M in Cryptocurrency
Canadian scammer intercepted authentication request, investigators say
- A cross-border investigation has led to the arrest of a teenager in Canada suspected of a cryptocurrency theft of more than $36 million US from a single person. Officials called it the largest cryptocurrency scam involving one person in Canadian history, CTV News reports. Police did not release the age...
A Common Housing Scam
Is Plaguing Detroit Residents
Nov 10, 2021 11:26 AM CST
A Common Housing Scam Is Plaguing Detroit Residents
Some 10% of people facing eviction there may have fallen victim to it
- The eviction notice made no sense. June Walker flat out owned her Detroit home—or so she thought. As NBC News and Outlier Media report as part of a four-month investigation, the 65-year-old is part of an increasingly common "fake landlord" scam plaguing the city that's thought to...
Radio Host Gets
3 Life Sentences
for Ponzi Scheme
Nov 3, 2021 8:38 AM CDT
Radio Host Gets 3 Life Sentences for Ponzi Scheme
William Neil Gallagher vowed to help people retire safe, did the opposite
- It turns out the "Money Doctor" didn't dispense much in the way of financial health. Texas radio host William Neil Gallagher—who went by that name and ran the Gallagher Financial Group—was on Monday sentenced to three life sentences for bilking 192 people out of at least...
Scammers Make Off With $3M
Nov 2, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
-Inspired Scammers Make Off With $3M
Cryptocurrency SQUID, which generated a lot of headlines, could be bought but not sold
- A cryptocurrency seemingly linked to Netflix blockbuster
turned out to be a scam that netted its creators more than $3 million. SQUID, touted as a "play-to-earn cryptocurrency," had surged in price in recent days, hitting a peak of $2,861 early Monday after outlets including the...
Maryland Man Pleads Guilty
in COVID Vaccine Scam
Nov 1, 2021 7:41 AM CDT
Maryland Man Pleads Guilty in COVID Vaccine Scam
Fake site set up to look just like Moderna's offered supposed doses for $30 a pop, feds say
- Earlier this year, before COVID vaccines were readily available to eligible patients, a website suddenly popped up advertising Moderna doses for $30 each. That site turned out to be a fake, and now a Maryland man has owned up to his role in getting it up and running. The
Cops: Wife Duped Husband for
Years, to the Tune of $600K
in case you missed it
Oct 31, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Cops: Wife Duped Husband for Years, to the Tune of $600K
Donna Marino's spouse didn't have Alzheimer's but she made him think he did to control his money
- For two decades, a Connecticut man says he let his wife handle virtually all of his finances for him, a move he apparently felt even more necessary once he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. At least, he thought he'd been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. East Haven police say that'...
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets:
Seniors Catfished for $139M
Oct 22, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets: Seniors Catfished for $139M
FTC report says there was a 'surge' in 2020 in romance scams bamboozling Americans 60 and over
- Last month, the Department of Justice announced money laundering and wire fraud charges brought against nearly a dozen "romance scammers," and that's only scratching the surface of what the
calls a "surge" in such deceptions made worse by the pandemic, especially for the senior...
Victim Sues Her Bank
Oct 11, 2021 11:02 AM CDT
'Grandparent Scam' Victim Sues Her Bank
Florida widow lost more than $700K, says bank was negligent
- The "grandparent scam" has been around for a while, but the
Tampa Bay Times
reports on one with a particularly large payday and an unusual legal twist. An attorney for 82-year-old Anna Nunn of Florida says his widowed client was bilked of more than $700,000—and she's...
Wedding Florist's Alleged
Shtick: Not Showing Up
Sep 23, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
Wedding Florist's Alleged Shtick: Not Showing Up
Ohio AG says Desiree Gilliam Pace scammed 48 clients out of $50K
- A purported florist allegedly accepted tens of thousands of dollars from couples ahead of their weddings, but never showed up with the ordered flowers. That's according to Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost, who's suing the now-shuttered Flowers by Des in Xenia, Greene County, for violations of the Consumers...
It's the 'Most
Ever' on Robocalls
in case you missed it
Jul 11, 2021 5:34 PM CDT
It's the 'Most Meaningful Regulatory Action Ever' on Robocalls
FCC requiring phone providers to verify phone number before call is made
- If you've noticed a recent drop in spam calls, thank the Federal Communications Commission. As of June 30, major US phone providers must use caller ID authentication meant to block spoofed robocalls, costing Americans some $10 billion annually, and help "law enforcement track bad actors," according to...
Got Salt Water: India
Jul 5, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Vaccine Recipients Got Salt Water: India
Doctors were involved in scam, police say
- Scores of people in India who traveled to vaccination camps received injections of salt water instead of vaccine that would protect them against the coronavirus, authorities say. About a dozen private sites were set up in the city of Mumbai in May and June, the
New York Times
He Thought He Found Love in
Ukraine. Then a 'Surreal' Twist
Jun 27, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
He Thought He Found Love in Ukraine. Then a 'Surreal' Twist
UK man tells BBC how he lost $250K in a Ukraine scam
- "I was such an idiot." So declares a UK man identified only as James as he explains to the BBC how he became the victim of a $250,000 scam. The 52-year-old charity worker was in Ukraine when his translator set him up on a blind date with...
How Scammers Made Use
of MacKenzie Scott's Largesse
Apr 25, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
How Scammers Made Use of MacKenzie Scott's Largesse
She gave billions directly to foundations, and scammers took advantage of that
- "What a gift she’s given them," professor Marti DeLiema tells the
New York Times
of MacKenzie Scott and the almost $6 billion she gave away last year. But the "them" DeLiema is referring to isn't the hundreds of nonprofits who were surprised to get an...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Courts Block Louisiana, Utah Trigger Laws
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.