Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Dad's Emotional Plea: 'We
Left All Our Lego in Ukraine'
Apr 11, 2022 7:53 AM CDT
A Dad's Emotional Plea: 'We Left All Our Lego in Ukraine'
Donations pour in after Igor Sidorov's ask on Facebook for his 11-year-old son
- While much of the coverage of Russia's invasion of Ukraine has focused on the destruction and carnage, there've also been some more "poignant [glimpses] of what people have lost and left behind," per Irish broadcaster RTE. Case in point: 11-year-old Andrii Sidorov, who had to abandon...
On St. Patrick's Day,
COVID Tests Scuttle Meeting
Mar 17, 2022 4:11 PM CDT
On St. Patrick's Day, COVID Tests Scuttle Meeting
Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin tests positive while in DC
- Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin came to Washington this week expecting to resume a full schedule of events planned around St. Patrick's Day with the president and other politicians. They all were canceled last year by the COVID-19 outbreak. But the celebrations this year were disrupted, as well,...
On Bloody Sunday Anniversary,
Families Again Call for Justice
Jan 30, 2022 3:05 PM CST
On Bloody Sunday Anniversary, Families Again Call for Justice
British paratroopers opened fire on demonstrators in Derry, giving rise to decades of violence
- Hundreds of people on Sunday walked the route of marchers who were killed by British paratroopers a half-century ago in Northern Ireland during a civil rights demonstration. Family members of those shot to death in Derry on what's now known as Bloody Sunday were among those at the remembrance,...
Russia Moves Naval Drills
Away From Irish Fishermen
Jan 29, 2022 6:00 PM CST
Russia Moves Naval Drills Away From Irish Fishermen
Industry had planned to protest exercises by carrying on in its usual waters
: Faced with the possibility of entanglement with a flotilla of small fishing boats off the coast of Ireland, Russia said Saturday it will move its naval exercises. A letter from Ambassador Yuriy Filatov posted on Facebook said the drills, planned for Feb. 3-8, will take place away from the...
With Dead Man Is
'Like a Hitchcock Movie'
Jan 26, 2022 1:05 PM CST
Alleged Scheme With Dead Man Is 'Like a Hitchcock Movie'
Irish police probe claim that deceased man was taken to post office
- Police in Ireland are investigating reports that the body of a dead man was brought to a post office in an attempt to collect his pension. The
said a 66-year-old man was dragged into the post office in the town of Carlow around 11am on Friday, propped up...
Teen Son's Death
Jan 10, 2022 12:11 AM CST
Sinead O'Connor Rails Against Ireland After Teen Son's Death
Singer posts that Shane O'Connor was on suicide watch
In a lengthy Twitter thread Sunday, Sinead O'Connor railed against Ireland's healthcare system and its child and family agency Tusla, blaming them for the death of her teenage son, the
reports. "Guess where my son learned to make the noose that hung him? He tried...
Ireland Hits Milestone
Not Seen Since 1851
Sep 1, 2021 6:05 AM CDT
Ireland Hits Milestone Not Seen Since 1851
Population is above 5M for the first time since then
- There are an estimated 5.01 million people living in Ireland currently, the largest population and the first time the populace has numbered more than 5 million since the country's 1851 census. Back then, the comparable population was 5.11 million, the BBC reports. But in the aftermath of...
Smugglers' Cocaine Disguise
Doesn't Fool Cops
Jul 15, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
Smugglers' Cocaine Disguise Doesn't Fool Cops
Haul was altered to look like charcoal
- Police in the Netherlands and Ireland were very keen to talk to the owners of two containers that arrived in Rotterdam weeks ago—but they never showed up to collect them. Inside the abandoned containers, which were destined for Ireland, was a huge shipment of cocaine disguised as charcoal, CNN...
Please Say 'Person of Color'
Here, Not 'Blue Person'
Jul 14, 2021 12:44 PM CDT
Please Say 'Person of Color' Here, Not 'Blue Person'
Previous terms in Ireland to describe people who aren't white were confusing, offensive
- Up until now, Ireland has struggled with how to describe people who aren't white. Now, the panel that votes on adding new words and terms to the nation's official lexicon have come up with a descriptor:
duine de dhath
, or "person of color." That may seem...
Ransomware Attack Causes
'Critical Emergency' in Ireland
May 14, 2021 4:56 AM CDT
Ransomware Attack Causes 'Critical Emergency' in Ireland
Country's health service has shut down IT systems
- Ireland's health service shut down its IT systems on Friday after being targeted in what it called a "significant ransomware attack." The Health Service Executive said the move was a precaution, and appointments for coronavirus vaccinations were not affected. "We’ve taken a precautionary measure to...
In Ireland, a Sight
Never Before Seen
in case you missed it
Mar 20, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
In Ireland, a Sight Never Before Seen
Walrus turns up on the southwestern coast
- Ireland has recorded its first known sighting of a walrus, and it may be the result of a badly timed nap. A father and daughter spotted the creature over the weekend on the rocks off Valentia Island on the southwestern coast, reports the
. The Irish Whale and Dolphin...
On St. Patrick's Day,
Biden Recommits to
Good Friday Agreement
Mar 17, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
On St. Patrick's Day, Biden Recommits to Good Friday Agreement
He held virtual meeting with Ireland's prime minister
- President Biden marked St. Patrick’s Day by recommitting the US to the Good Friday Agreement, which has come under increasing stress following the United Kingdom's exit from the European Union. Biden, the latest president of Irish descent, held a virtual meeting Wednesday with Ireland's prime minister, Taoiseach...
There's a New
Most Valuable Startup
Mar 15, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
There's a New Most Valuable Startup
Funding pushes Stripe past SpaceX and Instacart
- Stripe's new round of funding has left SpaceX and Instacart in the dust. The payments processing company announced it had added $600 million on Sunday, for a valuation of $95 billion. That shoots Stripe past SpaceX, which is valued at $74 billion, and Instacart, which is pegged at $39...
Homes for Unwed Mothers Had
Death, 'Little Kindness': Ireland
Jan 12, 2021 5:34 PM CST
Homes for Unwed Mothers Had Death, 'Little Kindness': Ireland
Five-year inquiry finds all of society to blame for abuses
- Ireland has assessed the harm done by its Catholic Church-run homes for unmarried mothers over most of the 20th century and attempted to fix responsibility. About 9,000 children died in the homes, twice the nation's infant mortality rate, according to a government report released Tuesday. Their mothers were...
Judge Dismisses Foul Play
in Teen's High-Profile Death
Jan 4, 2021 8:33 AM CST
Judge Dismisses Foul Play in Teen's High-Profile Death
Court finds no evidence Nora Quoirin, 15, was abducted from resort in Malaysia
- Her disappearance from a Malaysian resort —and the subsequent discovery of her body in the jungle—made international headlines. Now a court in Malaysia has decided not to open a criminal inquiry into the death of 15-year-old Nora Quoirin from London, ruling that she most likely "died by...
Killed by Pet Deer
Dec 30, 2020 4:04 PM CST
'Renowned Huntsman' Killed by Pet Deer
Gerard Withers was feeding the animal
- A hunter in Ireland died Tuesday after a pet deer he was feeding attacked him, the
reports. Gerard Withers, described as a "renowned huntsman," was gored and trampled by the stag at the Duhallow Hunt Kennels in Liscarroll, per the
, which notes that male...
World's Oldest Solitary
Dolphin Has Vanished
Oct 26, 2020 3:06 PM CDT
World's Oldest Solitary Dolphin Has Vanished
Residents of Ireland's Dingle Bay are searching for Fungie, a bottlenose who's lived there since 1983
- Has anyone seen Fungie? A dolphin that has resided in Ireland's Dingle Bay for nearly four decades has up and vanished, and residents aren't just missing him for sentimental reasons (though there's that, too)—Fungie had become a vital part of the local economy. Euronews reports that...
$500M in Art Vanished.
Now, 'the Viper' Has Too
Oct 11, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
$500M in Art Vanished. Now, 'the Viper' Has Too
A vital contact in the the Gardner Museum heist has disappeared
- A detective trying to solve the world's biggest art heist has a problem: his key contact is gone—which puts an estimated $500 million in stolen art by the likes of Vermeer, Rembrandt, Degas, and Manet even further out of reach, the
reports. The sleuth, Charles Hill, is...
Court: Subway Bread
Doesn't Qualify as Bread
Oct 1, 2020 7:46 AM CDT
Court: Subway Bread Doesn't Qualify as Bread
Sugar content is way too high, Irish court says
- Subway bread doesn't qualify for a value-added tax exemption because it doesn't meet the legal definition of "bread," or indeed "food" under the relevant law, Ireland's Supreme Court has decided. The court ruled that all six varieties of bread used in the company's...
With One Team
Bumped From Big
Tourney, Ireland Does
Sep 8, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
With One Team Bumped From Big Tourney, Ireland Does 'Right Thing'
Ireland's lacrosse team gives up spot in World Games to Native American team
- Native Americans are said to be the inventors of lacrosse —it's the modern-day version of the indigenous game of baggataway—so a recent gesture by Ireland's lacrosse team is not only a generous one, but a nod to the sport's history. Only eight international lacrosse teams...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
AP Sees a 'Political Shift' That Should Scare Democrats
'Tragic, Freak Accident' in SC Pond Also a Rare One
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.