Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman Who Kissed Inmate
Arrested After Overdose Death
Aug 17, 2022 3:59 PM CDT
Woman Who Kissed Inmate Arrested After Overdose Death
Tennessee woman allegedly passed inmate drugs that killed him
- A Tennessee woman who allegedly gave an inmate a kiss of death during a visit to a state prison earlier this year has been charged with murder. The Tennessee Department of Correction says Rachal Dollard was seen passing drugs to inmate Joshua Brown as they kissed during a visitation at...
Jul 22, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Actor Found Dead
Shonka Dukureh dies in Nashville at age 44
- Shonka Dukureh, who played Big Mama Thornton in this year's movie about Elvis Presley , was found dead Thursday in a bedroom at her home in Nashville, police say. She was 44. Nashville police say there were no signs of foul play, per the AP . Autopsy results are pending from...
The Business Climate
Is Tops in This State
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
The Business Climate Is Tops in This State
North Carolina comes out on top in CNBC survey of best, worst US states for business
- Looking to close a deal? Conducting business and staying competitive can prove a challenging endeavor, but in some states, the business world is booming. CNBC has released its 15th annual "America's Top States for Business" survey to help point movers and shakers in the right direction. It scores...
Cops: Fast-Food Manager
Fires Gun at Angry Customer
Jun 24, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Cops: Fast-Food Manager Fires Gun at Angry Customer
Nobody was injured at the Checkers in Tennessee
- A fast-food dispute between an angry customer and a manager escalated into gunfire, though maybe not the way you'd expect. Police in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, say it was the manager who pulled a gun and opened fire, reports WKRN . Nobody was injured in the incident at a Checkers restaurant. Police...
Cops: Man Stole Car, Tried
to Sell It Back to Its Owner
Jun 9, 2022 12:43 AM CDT
Cops: Man Stole Car, Tried to Sell It Back to Its Owner
She informed police about the $3K offer
- Police say a man stole a woman's car from a Memphis hotel last month—and then offered to sell it back to her. The woman says her 2012 Infiniti G-37 went missing, and she was then contacted by a friend of a friend she was connected to through social...
14 Shot Near Nightclub
Jun 5, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
14 Shot Near Nightclub
3 are killed in Chattanooga as gunfire erupts, cars hit people fleeing
- A shooting near a Tennessee nightclub early Sunday led to three deaths and 14 people suffering gunshot wounds and other injuries, police said. Fourteen people were hit by gunfire and three were hit by vehicles while trying to flee the scene, said Chattanooga Police Chief Celeste Murphy. Two people died...
Teen Killed in Shooting After
High School Graduation
May 20, 2022 1:15 AM CDT
Teen Killed in Shooting After High School Graduation
Another teen was injured in the Tennessee shooting
- One person was killed and another injured in a shooting after a high school graduation at Middle Tennessee State University, according to police. Police confirmed the shooting Wednesday night after the Riverdale High School graduation at Murphy Center, an on-campus arena. Authorities said the ceremony for 450 seniors had already...
KFC Worker Calls 911 After
Customer Writes Note for Help
May 19, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
KFC Worker Calls 911 After Customer Writes Note for Help
Woman told Memphis police that her boyfriend was holding her against her will
- A Memphis woman told police her partner was holding her against her will, had confiscated her phone, and punched her in the face when she tried to leave. That she was able to speak to police was thanks to her quick thinking, and a KFC worker who took action. The...
Nurse Who Doled Out Fatal
Meds Avoids Jail Time
May 14, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Nurse Who Doled Out Fatal Meds Avoids Jail Time
RaDonda Vaught gets 3 years of supervised probation for death of Charlene Murphey
- RaDonda Vaught, the Tennessee nurse behind a fatal medicine mix-up that killed a 75-year-old woman in 2017, won't be going to prison. WTVF reports that the 38-year-old former nurse at Nashville's Vanderbilt University Medical Center was sentenced Friday to three years of supervised probation, following emotional testimony from...
Bill: Drunk Drivers Who Kill
Parents Must Compensate Kids
Apr 22, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
Bill: Drunk Drivers Who Kill Parents Must Compensate Kids
Bill is expected to be signed by Gov. Bill Lee in Tennessee
- Drunk drivers who kill the parent of a minor will be forced to pay child support until the child reaches the age of 18 under a new law to be signed in Tennessee. House Bill 1834 unanimously passed the state Senate on Wednesday after gaining unanimous support in the state...
Texas Executes Its
Oldest Death Row Inmate
Apr 21, 2022 8:40 PM CDT
Texas Executes Its Oldest Death Row Inmate
As Tennessee issues temporary reprieve to an inmate there
- Texas’ oldest death row inmate was executed Thursday for killing a Houston police officer during a traffic stop nearly 32 years ago. Carl Wayne Buntion, 78, was executed at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was condemned for the June 1990 fatal shooting of Houston police officer James Irby, a...
Kicked Off Tennessee Ballot
Apr 20, 2022 2:18 PM CDT
Trump-Backed 'Carpetbagger' Kicked Off Tennessee Ballot
Party says Morgan Ortagus didn't meet residency requirement
- The Tennessee Republican Party has voted to kick three candidates off the GOP primary ballot in the state's reconfigured 5th Congressional District—including one supported by Donald Trump. Party officials said the executive committee voted to remove Morgan Ortagus, Baxter Lee, and Robby Starbuck from the August primary ballot...
For Anteater in Tennessee
Zoo, a Big Rabies First
Apr 15, 2022 12:13 PM CDT
For Anteater in Tennessee Zoo, a Big Rabies First
Rabies has never been seen in this species before; anteater may have brought it from Va. to Tenn.
- A rabies variant not usually seen in Tennessee apparently found its way there via Virginia, and a captive anteater is getting the blame. A CDC report published Friday cites the case of a particular southern tamandua, aka lesser anteater (even fancier name:
), that may have exposed more than...
Tenn. Lawmaker Cites Hitler
as Example for the Homeless
Apr 15, 2022 7:58 AM CDT
Tenn. Lawmaker Cites Hitler as Example for the Homeless
Frank Niceley: After living on streets, Hitler 'went on to lead life that got him in the history books'
- A Republican lawmaker in Tennessee stunned his colleagues Wednesday when he shared the story of a homeless man who turned his life around—Adolf Hitler. During a debate on a bill banning homeless encampments on public property, State Sen. Frank Niceley told lawmakers he "wanted to give a little...
This Is the
State in America
Mar 28, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Louisiana is one big stress ball, according to latest WalletHub rankings
- To say we've collectively and individually been stressed over the past two years is probably an understatement, but the stress levels are higher in some parts of the US than others. WalletHub looked at all 50 states, examining more than three dozen metrics in four categories: stress related to...
Nurse in Fatal Drug
Mix-Up Hears Her Fate
Mar 26, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Nurse in Fatal Drug Mix-Up Hears Her Fate
RaDonda Vaught found guilty of negligent homicide, gross neglect in death of 75-year-old patient
RaDonda Vaught has been found guilty in the death of an elderly patient after a fatal drug mistake. The
and NPR report that a jury in Nashville, Tenn., on Friday convicted the former nurse of criminally negligent homicide and gross neglect of an impaired adult, tied to the...
Camel Fatally Attacks
2 Men at Tennessee Farm
Mar 14, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
Camel Fatally Attacks 2 Men at Tennessee Farm
Deputies had to put the animal down
- A camel somehow got free at a Tennessee farm Thursday and went on the attack, leaving two men dead. The details of the rampage are not clear, but Bobby Matheny, 42, of Ridgely, Tenn., and Tommy Gunn, 67, of Obion, Tenn., were pronounced dead at the scene, the
at Center of
a 'Difficult and
Feb 21, 2022 11:42 AM CST
Tennessee Mom at Center of a 'Difficult and Shocking' Case
Melissa Blair is accused of trading items like vape pens to teen boys for sexual favors
- A Tennessee mom who was an active parent at a local school is accused of being a little too active, allegedly trading items to teen boys for sexual favors. Law & Crime reports that 38-year-old Melissa Blair has been indicted for charges including statutory rape, after allegedly making contact with...
Her 4 Kids
Feb 9, 2022 2:19 AM CST
Mom Who Fatally Stabbed Her 4 Kids Learns Fate
Shanynthia Gardner sentenced in 2016 slayings
- A Tennessee woman convicted of stabbing her four children to death was sentenced to life in prison Tuesday, the AP reports. Criminal Court Judge James Lammey Jr. found Shanynthia Gardner, 34, guilty last month of the 2016 slayings of the children, ages 4, 3, 2 and 5 months. Another child,...
2 Inmates Dead After
Feb 8, 2022 5:06 PM CST
2 Inmates Dead After Tennessee Jailbreak
Johnny Shane Brown is still at large
- Two inmates who escaped from a county jail in Tennessee on Friday are dead and a third is still at large, authorities say. The Sullivan County Sheriff's Office says Tobias Wayne Carr, 38, and Timothy Allen Sarver, 45, were "confirmed deceased" following a convenience store robbery and multi-county...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Boy Paralyzed in Parade Shooting Is 'Hopeless'
College Students' Road Trip Ends in Deadly Shootout
Liz Cheney Loses Her Primary
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.