Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Roe Was Overturned,
Number of Abortions Went Up
Sep 7, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
After Roe Was Overturned, Number of Abortions Went Up
Numbers surged in states near those that brought in bans
- The overturning of Roe v. Wade didn't cause a drop in the number of abortions performed in the US, but there has been a surge in abortion in states close to those that brought in bans, researchers say. The Guttmacher Institute says that between 2020 and the first half...
May 26, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
South Carolina Judge Halts 6-Week Abortion Ban
Ban reverts back to 20 weeks until state Supreme Court can review law, per Judge Clifton Newman
- A judge on Friday put a temporary halt to South Carolina's new law banning most abortions around six weeks of pregnancy until the state Supreme Court can review the measure. The ruling by Judge Clifton Newman came just about 24 hours after Gov. Henry McMaster signed the bill. The...
Abortion Ban Veto
May 16, 2023 8:36 PM CDT
North Carolina Republicans Override Governor's Abortion Ban Veto
Most abortions will be banned after the 12-week mark in North Carolina
- Legislation banning most abortions after 12 weeks of pregnancy will become law in North Carolina after the state’s Republican-controlled General Assembly successfully overrode the Democratic governor’s veto late Tuesday, the AP reports. The House completed the second and final part of the override vote Tuesday night after a...
Abortion Timeline to 12 Weeks
May 4, 2023 7:05 PM CDT
Lawmakers Reduce Abortion Timeline to 12 Weeks
Governor promises veto, which may be overridden
- North Carolina lawmakers on Thursday approved and sent to the governor a ban on nearly all abortions after 12 weeks of pregnancy, down from the current 20 weeks, in response to last year's overturning of Roe v. Wade by the US Supreme Court. The ban is one of the...
Florida Republicans Pass
6-Week Abortion Ban
Apr 13, 2023 6:20 PM CDT
Florida Republicans Pass 6-Week Abortion Ban
DeSantis has said he supports the change
- The Republican-dominated Florida Legislature on Thursday approved a ban on abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, a proposal supported by GOP Gov. Ron DeSantis. Florida currently prohibits abortions after 15 weeks. A six-week ban would give DeSantis a political victory among Republican primary voters before officially launching a presidential candidacy...
Idaho Governor Signs
'Abortion Trafficking' Bill
Apr 6, 2023 12:51 PM CDT
Idaho Governor Signs 'Abortion Trafficking' Bill
First-of-its-kind law bans adults from helping minors get abortions without parents' consent
- Idaho Gov. Brad Little signed a bill into law Wednesday that makes it illegal for an adult to help a minor get an abortion without parental consent. The law is the first of its kind in the US and creates a new crime of "abortion trafficking," barring adults...
On Roe v. Wade,
Sees a 'Loophole'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 11, 2023 12:15 PM CST
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Judge in criminal case says 13th Amendment could provide a national right to abortion
- In a pending criminal case against anti-abortion activists, a federal judge on Monday raised what CNBC is calling an "eyebrow-raising hypothetical" on the issue of a constitutional right to abortion. Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly said that when the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade with its ruling last year in...
On the Same Day,
2 Big Abortion Decisions
Jan 6, 2023 1:10 AM CST
On the Same Day, 2 Big Abortion Decisions
In South Carolina, a win for abortion rights supporters; in Idaho, a loss
- The South Carolina Supreme Court on Thursday struck down a ban on abortion after six weeks, ruling the restriction enacted by the Deep South state violates a state constitutional right to privacy, the AP reports. The decision marked a significant victory for abortion rights' advocates suddenly forced to find safeguards...
to Record Every
Oct 1, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Poland Begins to Record Every Pregnancy
Government insists there's no connection to its anti-abortion law
- A new regulation that came into force in Poland on Saturday requiring women's pregnancy information to be uploaded to the national digital system has raised concerns among organizations that it could be another means for the conservative government to control women's lives. Women's groups suggested that the...
Gender Divide Marks
States' Abortion Debate
Sep 25, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Gender Divide Marks States' Abortion Debate
'I'm tired of older, rich white men deciding our fate,' one demonstrator says
- Outside the West Virginia Legislature's chambers, the marble foyer was packed with young women in T-shirts, ripped jeans, and gym shorts holding signs with uteruses drawn in colored marker. "Bans off our bodies," the signs said. "Abortion is essential." Inside, a group of lawmakers, almost...
Michigan Judge Rules Against
90-Year-Old Abortion Ban
Sep 7, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Michigan Judge Rules Against 90-Year-Old Abortion Ban
Governor praises decision but expects it to be appealed
- A near-total ban on abortions in Michigan was struck down Wednesday when a judge ruled the law violates the state constitution. The law, which makes performing an abortion a felony unless the mother's life is at risk, was approved in 1931 but dormant while Roe v. Wade guaranteed access...
Accuses DeSantis of
'Blatant Abuse of Power'
Aug 17, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
Ousted Prosecutor Accuses DeSantis of 'Blatant Abuse of Power'
Andrew Warren has filed a federal lawsuit
: A Florida prosecutor ousted by Gov. Ron DeSantis is suing to get his job back, accusing the Republican governor of "blatant abuse of power." Andrew Warren, who was suspended as state attorney in Hillsborough County earlier this month, accused DeSantis of violating his First Amendment rights in...
In Georgia, an
Embryo Is Now
a Tax Deduction
Aug 2, 2022 1:02 PM CDT
In Georgia, an Embryo Is Now a Tax Deduction
State issues guidelines for claiming the deduction, with policy on miscarriages unclear
- Taxpayers can now claim an individual income tax dependent exemption of $3,000 on their Georgia returns for an embryo "with a detectable human heartbeat." Guidance from the department of revenue says cardiac activity "may occur as early as six weeks' gestation" in cells that later become...
Indiana Investigating Child
Rape Victim's Abortion Doctor
Jul 14, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Indiana Investigating Child Rape Victim's Abortion Doctor
AG Todd Rokita calls her an 'abortion activist acting as a doctor with a history of failing to report'
- "There's a strong public interest in understanding ... [if] any woman is having an abortion in our state." So Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita told Fox News on Wednesday, explaining why his office will investigate the Indianapolis OB-GYN who admitted to treating a 10-year-old rape victim from Ohio....
State's Sole Abortion Clinic
Sues to Stop Ban
Jul 7, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
State's Sole Abortion Clinic Sues to Stop Ban
North Dakota law took effect after Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade
- North Dakota's sole clinic that provides abortion services filed a lawsuit in state court Thursday seeking to block a law that banned abortion following the US Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade . The Red River Women's Clinic argues that the ban violates the rights to...
Google to Remove
Location Data After
Visits to Clinics
Jul 2, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
Google to Remove Location Data After Visits to Clinics
Tech companies face pressure over user information after abortion ruling
- Google has announced that it will remove users’ location history entries soon after they visit an abortion provider, after facing pressure over fears the information could be used in prosecutions. An executive detailed the privacy change in a blog post Friday, the Hill reports, saying it will take effect in...
Texas Court Blocks
Order Resuming Abortions
Jul 2, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Texas Court Blocks Order Resuming Abortions
Houston judge had allowed procedures 3 days earlier
- The Texas Supreme Court has blocked an order that had briefly allowed some clinics to resume abortions in the state, the latest development in legal scrambles across the US since Roe v. Wade was overturned. The court on Friday night stopped a three-day-old order by a Houston judge who said...
Roe Will Give
Jun 27, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
Josh Hawley: Roe Will Give GOP More Electoral Strength
Senator says Democrats will head for blue states
Roe v. Wade
overturned, social media has been flooded with posts by pro-choice US residents considering a move to another state. According to Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri, that's exactly what the GOP needs to happen. His prediction: "More and more red states are going to...
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Apr 21, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Kentucky's clinics say they aren't ready to comply with new statute
- A federal judge on Thursday temporarily blocked a state law that effectively eliminated abortions in Kentucky after the state's two remaining clinics said they couldn't meet its requirements. The decision by US District Judge Rebecca Grady Jennings was a victory for abortion rights advocates and a setback for...
Oklahoma Law Makes It
a Felony to Perform Abortion
Apr 12, 2022 11:17 AM CDT
Oklahoma Law Makes It a Felony to Perform Abortion
Governor signs tough new law
Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt signed a bill into law on Tuesday that makes it a felony to perform an abortion, part of an aggressive push in Republican-led states across the country to scale back abortion rights. The bill, which takes effect 90 days after the Legislature adjourns next month,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.