Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Georgia, a Milestone
for Nuclear Power
Aug 1, 2023 3:42 PM CDT
In Georgia, a Milestone for Nuclear Power
For first time in 30 years, a reactor built from scratch has begun operating
- The good news for advocates of nuclear power is that a built-from-scratch reactor in Georgia has begun operating—the first time that's happened in the US in three decades, reports the
. The bad news is that Unit 3 at Plant Vogtle near Waynesboro is seven years late...
Historian Pulls Back the Veil
on Nuclear Power's Safety
Aug 20, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Historian Pulls Back the Veil on Nuclear Power's Safety
Government historian's book about nuclear risks does not instill confidence
- At the moment, the world is wondering what will happen if/when an artillery round hits the wrong part of Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant. But that’s not the only reason nuclear power is a hot topic. Some Europeans are counting on it as an alternative to Russian energy, and...
It's a 'Suicidal Thing': Europe's
Biggest Nuke Plant Shelled
Aug 8, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
It's a 'Suicidal Thing': Europe's Biggest Nuke Plant Shelled
Russia blames Ukraine, and vice versa, amid calls for peacekeepers to take control of facility
- One thing both sides in the Russia-Ukraine war agree on: Shelling a nuclear plant is not a good idea. However,
shelled the Zaporizhzhia plant in southeastern Ukraine over the weekend, and each side is blaming the other, reports the BBC . "This time a nuclear catastrophe was miraculously avoided,...
In a First, Wind Outdoes
Coal, Nuclear Power
Apr 15, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
In a First, Wind Outdoes Coal, Nuclear Power
A permanent shift doesn't appear imminent after single-day milestone, agency says
- On March 29, wind turbines throughout the continental US produced 19% of the nation's energy, government data show. That was more than coal or nuclear power contributed, the first time that's been the case, according to the US Energy Information Administration. Only natural gas topped wind power that...
Musk Issues Strange Challenge
After Tweets on Nuclear Power
Mar 7, 2022 12:33 PM CST
Musk Issues Strange Challenge After Tweets on Nuclear Power
In defense of tweets, Tesla CEO says he'll go to high-radiation area, eat locally grown fare on TV
- Over the weekend, Elon Musk decided to air his thoughts on nuclear-powered energy amid concerns of a gas shortage due to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and the backlash on those thoughts led him to issue a most unusual challenge. "Hopefully, it is now extremely obvious that Europe should...
Fukushima Has a Plan
for Its Tainted Water
Aug 27, 2021 1:28 PM CDT
Fukushima Has a Plan for Its Tainted Water
Nuclear plant will build an undersea tunnel and pump it out
- The Fukushima nuclear plant is going to run out of room soon to store radioactive water that keeps building up. Solution: Japan will build an undersea tunnel and starting pumping the tainted water into the ocean, reports AFP . The water will be treated to remove most, though not all, of...
Iran Nuclear Power Plant
Has Emergency Shutdown
Jun 21, 2021 12:33 AM CDT
Iran Nuclear Power Plant Has Emergency Shutdown
Situation is temporary, has not been explained
- Iran’s sole nuclear power plant has undergone an unexplained temporary emergency shutdown, state TV reported on Sunday. An official from the state electric company Tavanir, Gholamali Rakhshanimehr, said on a talk show that the Bushehr plant shutdown began on Saturday and would last "for three to four days....
Hong Kong 'Highly Concerned'
After Reports of China
Jun 15, 2021 12:59 AM CDT
Hong Kong 'Highly Concerned' After Reports of China Radiation Leak
Carrie Lam says currently radiation levels are normal in the city
- Hong Kong's leader said Tuesday that her government is “highly concerned” about the situation at a nearby nuclear power plant in mainland China, following media reports that the plant could be experiencing a leak. Still, data from the Hong Kong Observatory and other departments showed that as of...
Arab World's First Nuke Plant
Connects to Power Grid
Aug 19, 2020 1:56 PM CDT
Arab World's First Nuke Plant Connects to Power Grid
UAE plant went live 2 week ago
- A nuclear power plant in the oil-rich United Arab Emirates has been connected to the country's power grid, authorities said Wednesday. The Barakah nuclear power plant in the Emirates’ far western desert near the border with Saudi Arabia began sending out electricity, according to the state-run WAM news agency....
Alert Warns 14M About
'Incident' at Nuke Plant
Jan 12, 2020 12:50 PM CST
Alert Warns 14M About 'Incident' at Nuke Plant
Ontario residents receive an odd early-morning message
- People throughout the Canadian province of Ontario awoke Sunday to an alarming alert of an "incident" at a nuclear plant just east of Toronto—only to later be told the message was a mistake, the AP reports. The initial early morning emergency message popped up on the screens of...
Goodbye, Three Mile Island
Sep 20, 2019 12:12 PM CDT
Goodbye, Three Mile Island
The Pennsylvania nuclear power plant is shutting its doors
- So long, Three Mile Island. The Pennsylvania plant's remaining nuclear reactor shut down at noon Friday—and not because of anti-nuclear activism, the
reports. The plant best known for its partial meltdown in 1979 has fallen prey to the economics of modern energy consumption. It's licensed to...
Russia's Mystery Explosion
May Be a Big Deal
Aug 12, 2019 9:40 AM CDT
Russia's Mystery Explosion May Be a Big Deal
Possibly worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl, though much smaller
- A deadly explosion rocked the Nenoksa Missile Test Site in Russia last week, and Moscow has offered shifting accounts of what happened. A new report in the
New York Times
might explain why Moscow is being so cagey: This might have been the region's worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl,...
Site of Worst US
Is Shutting Down
May 9, 2019 12:41 AM CDT
Site of Worst US Nuclear Accident Is Shutting Down
Owner has been threatening to close Three Mile Island plant for years
- Three Mile Island, site of the United States' worst nuclear power accident, will begin a planned shutdown starting June 1 now that it is clear that it will not get a financial rescue from Pennsylvania, its owner said Wednesday. Exelon Corp.'s statement comes two years after the Chicago-based...
At UN Climate Conference,
US Touts Coal
Nov 14, 2017 8:41 AM CST
At UN Climate Conference, US Touts Coal
Audience members in Bonn, Germany, weren't pleased
- A Trump administration panel touted coal and nuclear energy in its only official appearance at an 11-day United Nations climate conference in Germany on Monday—when it could get its message out over jeering protesters and audience members. "Without question, fossil fuels will continue to be used," though...
Toshiba Throws In
Nuclear Towel: Chapter
11 for Westinghouse
Mar 29, 2017 3:02 PM CDT
Toshiba Throws In Nuclear Towel: Chapter 11 for Westinghouse
Challenges proved too great—and may be nuclear industry harbinger
- More fallout from Toshiba's reported "nuclear" loss last month, this time in the form of a bankruptcy filing. In what the AP says was a "largely expected" move, Toshiba noted in a statement Wednesday that its Westinghouse nuclear unit has submitted a Chapter 11 petition to the...
US Has New Nuclear Reactor
for 1st Time in 20 Years
Oct 21, 2016 6:30 PM CDT
US Has New Nuclear Reactor for 1st Time in 20 Years
It's the 100th commercial nuclear reactor in the US
- The first commercial nuclear reactor of the 21st century—and the first in 20 years—was officially declared complete Wednesday in Tennessee, the AP reports. According to CNN , the Tennessee Valley Authority started work on the Watts Bar Nuclear Plant in 1973. The first reactor didn't open until 1996....
Is Shutting Down
Jun 21, 2016 3:00 PM CDT
California's Last Nuclear Plant Is Shutting Down
The Diablo Canyon plant will stop producing nuclear power in 2025
- The age of nuclear power will come to an end in California in 2025 when Pacific Gas and Electric closes the Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant, the
San Luis Obispo Tribune
reports. Diablo Canyon is California's last remaining nuclear plant after the closure of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating...
Power Plant Is
Into the Ocean
Mar 10, 2016 6:37 PM CST
Florida Nuclear Power Plant Is Leaking Radiation Into the Ocean
Study finds tritium levels in Biscayne Bay up to 215 times higher than normal
- A nuclear power plant in Florida described by critics as "environmentally fragile" is almost certainly leaking radioactive cooling water into the nearby ocean, the
Miami New Times
reports. "You would have to work hard to find a worse place to put a nuclear plant, right between two national...
As Ayatollah Balks,
Slam Nuke Deal
Jun 25, 2015 7:37 AM CDT
As Ayatollah Balks, Obama Ex-Advisers Slam Nuke Deal
Experts fear deal will 'fall short...of a 'good' agreement'
- With five days until the deadline for a nuclear deal, Iran's supreme leader is drawing new "red lines" in the sand on previously agreed-upon points of contention, including that sanctions against the country be lifted immediately or "we will never agree with it." Ayatollah Ali Khamenei...
Iran Lawmakers Make Surprise Nuke-Deal Demand
Jun 21, 2015 2:00 PM CDT
Iran Lawmakers Make Surprise Nuke-Deal Demand
Iran's parliament votes to limit inspections of nuclear sites
- With some lawmakers chanting "Death to the America," Iran's parliament voted to ban access to military sites, documents, and scientists as part of a future deal with world powers over its contested nuclear program. The bill, if ratified, could complicate the ongoing talks in Vienna between Iran...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.