Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Inside California Dems' Effort
to Boot Trump From Ballot
Sep 19, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Inside California Dems' Effort to Boot Trump From Ballot
Group asks state attorney general to expedite court ruling on former president's eligibility
- Nine Democrats in California are seeking an expedited court ruling that could bar former President Donald Trump from the March 5 presidential primary ballot, claiming he's ineligible to resume office. The lawmakers—who echo conservative law scholars in arguing Trump may have violated Section 3 of the 14th Amendment,...
The Biggest Questions
Tonight's Debate Will Answer
Aug 23, 2023 12:56 PM CDT
The Biggest Questions Tonight's Debate Will Answer
Like who gets more eyeballs: the 8 on stage or Trump and Carlson?
- Eight Republican candidates will take to the stage on Wednesday night in the first debate of the primary season—and former President Trump won't be among them. He's skipping the Fox News-hosted debate in Milwaukee as well as the next, which is slated for Sept. 27. Here's...
Burgum Got to Milwaukee
for Debate, Ended Up in ER
Aug 23, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Burgum Got to Milwaukee for Debate, Ended Up in ER
It's unclear if the presidential candidate will be able to stand at the debate
- North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum's arrival in Wisconsin for Wednesday night's GOP debate hasn't gone as expected. The presidential candidate ended up in a Milwaukee ER last night after injuring himself while playing basketball with staffers, a source tells CNN . Per the source, it's not clear...
Trump Has Landslide Numbers
in Latest Primary Poll
Aug 21, 2023 6:17 AM CDT
Trump Has Landslide Numbers in Latest Primary Poll
Former president at 62% to DeSantis' 16% in new CBS poll
- When former President Trump confirmed on Sunday that he would be skipping this week's Republican debate, he cited a new CBS News poll reaffirming that he has a big lead in the race. Trump was not exaggerating the point. His lead over the Republican challengers has only grown as...
Trump: Why Should I Bother
Debating GOP Rivals?
Apr 26, 2023 7:51 AM CDT
Trump: Why Should I Bother Debating GOP Rivals?
Former president suggests he won't take part in primary matchups due to 'hostile networks'
- If you're eager to see how GOP presidential candidates will fare in primary debates against the current frontrunner , you may have a long wait. That frontrunner, former President Trump, suggested Tuesday that going head-to-head with his Republican rivals might not be in the cards. "I see that everybody...
Aug 15, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
On Primary Eve, Different Outlooks for Cheney, Murkowski
Both GOPers have been strong Trump critics, but Murkowski's prospects look better than Cheney's
- They hail from their states' most prominent Republican families. They've been among the GOP's sharpest critics of former President Trump. And after the Jan. 6 insurrection, they supported his impeachment. But for all their similarities, the political fortunes of US Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and US Rep....
Feb 17, 2022 7:30 PM CST
McCarthy Endorses Cheney's Opponent
Along with Trump, GOP House leader backs Harriet Hageman
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy on Thursday joined former President Donald Trump in endorsing Rep. Liz Cheney's opponent in upcoming Wyoming GOP primary. McCarthy is the biggest House name so far to back Harriet Hageman, the Hill reports. Party leaders have censured Cheney , and Trump has attacked her, for...
Jul 16, 2021 2:54 PM CDT
Cheney's Anti-Trump Vote Isn't Hurting Her Fundraising
She and other GOP lawmakers who voted for impeachment did well in first quarter
- Republicans who voted to impeach former President Trump seem to be having no trouble raising campaign funds. Second-quarter donations to the 10 House members who bucked their party after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot have them all outpacing their challengers and "flush with cash," per the
Virginia Republicans Knock Out
Congressman Backed by Trump
Jun 14, 2020 9:33 AM CDT
Virginia Republicans Knock Out Congressman Backed by Trump
Denver Riggleman, who led same-sex wedding, loses nomination to Bob Good
- Voting in a drive-through convention in a church parking lot, Virginia's Fifth District Republicans awarded their nomination to Bob Good, a challenger to Rep. Denver Riggleman. Good took 58% of the more than 2,500 votes cast, while Riggleman collected 42%, WRC reports. The incumbent, who's in his...
GOP Candidate's Diploma
Looks All Wrong: School
Aug 12, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
GOP Candidate's Diploma Looks All Wrong: School
Melissa Howard may be in hot water
- A Florida GOP candidate appears to be in trouble after producing a university diploma that doesn't look quite right, the
reports. Melissa Howard, running in the state House District 73 primary, showed reporters a bachelor's diploma from Miami University in Ohio after Florida News Online claimed she...
Fails to Get
Apr 22, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
Mitt Romney Fails to Get Utah Senate Nomination
He'll now face a primary for Orrin Hatch's seat after a contentious GOP nominating convention
- Mitt Romney did anything but cruise to the Republican nomination for Orrin Hatch's Utah Senate seat on Saturday in what CNN calls "a wild and raucous day of voting" at the state's nominating convention. Romney, among a dozen Republicans seeking Hatch's seat, was unable to secure...
Illinois GOP Primary Winner:
GOP 'Messed Up Big Time'
Mar 21, 2018 6:52 AM CDT
Illinois GOP Primary Winner: GOP 'Messed Up Big Time'
Holocaust denier Arthur Jones ran unopposed, is now Third Congressional District candidate
- "The Republican Party screwed up big time." Such is the pronouncement of Arthur Jones, who on Tuesday won a GOP primary in Illinois, becoming the party's candidate for the Third Congressional District, which encompasses part of Chicago. Except, per the
New York Times ,
the Holocaust denier won'...
Is 'Risky Bet'
Oct 30, 2015 1:42 PM CDT
Leaked Bush Document Says Rubio Is 'Risky Bet'
It also cryptically refers to some skeletons in Rubio's closet
- The Jeb Bush campaign threw some major shade at opponent Marco Rubio in a PowerPoint presentation for donors obtained by
US News & World Report
. The campaign met with donors Monday in Houston hoping to reassure them that Bush isn't as doomed as he may appear. (That perception got...
RNC Bails On
Oct 30, 2015 1:18 PM CDT
RNC Bails On NBC's Scheduled GOP Debate
Says CNBC handled this week's debate 'in bad faith'
- NBC better get its fill of Donald Trump when he hosts
Saturday Night Live
next month because it sounds like the network won't be seeing him—or any of his fellow candidates—at its GOP debate, the
reports. The Republican National Committee has suspended ties with NBC ahead...
Sep 18, 2015 2:00 PM CDT
Carly Fiorina May Solve One Big GOP Problem
Times, Post think she's helping with female voters
- Could Carly Fiorina solve Republicans' women problem? Many in the party, which has had trouble appealing to female voters, think so after the former CEO's strong performance in this week's GOP debate, the
New York Times
reports. “Many Republicans will see her, even if she’s not...
Can Ben Carson
Sep 2, 2015 1:28 PM CDT
Can Ben Carson Really Win This Thing?
Neurosurgeon tied with Trump atop Iowa poll
- The perhaps somewhat surprising current Republican darling is neurosurgeon Ben Carson, who's polling second nationally and is tied with Donald Trump at 23% in all-important Iowa, the Hill reports. No other Republican candidates are even close to those numbers, and Carson supporters believe it's not surprising at all...
GOP Primary Loser:
Winner Really a 'Lookalike'
Jun 30, 2014 4:31 PM CDT
GOP Primary Loser: Winner Really a 'Lookalike'
Tim Murray says Frank Lucas was hanged in Ukraine
- Frank Lucas only
like he won an Oklahoma congressional primary by a landslide, according to a contender who got thumped at the polls. Tim Murray says he'll contest the primary because Lucas was actually hanged in Ukraine and replaced with a body double, THV 11 reports. "It...
Meet the Guy
Who Just Beat
Jun 11, 2014 7:58 AM CDT
Meet the Guy Who Just Beat Eric Cantor
Economics professor David Brat pulls off huge upset
- Who is David Brat, the Tea Party candidate who set off a "political earthquake " by defeating House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in a GOP primary? Here's some of what's known about the political novice, as per Politico , the Huffington Post , and the
Stunner: Eric Cantor Loses
Primary to Tea Party Rival
Jun 10, 2014 7:17 PM CDT
Stunner: Eric Cantor Loses Primary to Tea Party Rival
House majority leader suffers big upset in Virginia
- The Tea Party just scored a massive upset: Economics professor David Brat defeated House majority leader Eric Cantor in a GOP primary in Virginia, reports AP . Brat had accused the No. 2 Republican in the House (and one-time Tea Party favorite) of not being conservative enough, and the message evidently...
Jul 30, 2012 8:48 AM CDT
Democrats Meddling With GOP Primaries
Attack ads go easy on less threatening hopefuls: observers
- Democrats are launching attack ads aimed at Republican Senate primary candidates—but the ads may actually be designed to get the easiest target nominated, insiders in both parties say. The apparent strategy follows Harry Reid's 2010 work in support of Republican Sharron Angle, who won her primary before losing...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.