Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 15, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
On Primary Eve, Different Outlooks for Cheney, Murkowski
Both GOPers have been strong Trump critics, but Murkowski's prospects look better than Cheney's
- They hail from their states' most prominent Republican families. They've been among the GOP's sharpest critics of former President Trump. And after the Jan. 6 insurrection, they supported his impeachment. But for all their similarities, the political fortunes of US Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and US Rep....
Feb 17, 2022 7:30 PM CST
McCarthy Endorses Cheney's Opponent
Along with Trump, GOP House leader backs Harriet Hageman
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy on Thursday joined former President Donald Trump in endorsing Rep. Liz Cheney's opponent in upcoming Wyoming GOP primary. McCarthy is the biggest House name so far to back Harriet Hageman, the Hill reports. Party leaders have censured Cheney , and Trump has attacked her, for...
Jul 16, 2021 2:54 PM CDT
Cheney's Anti-Trump Vote Isn't Hurting Her Fundraising
She and other GOP lawmakers who voted for impeachment did well in first quarter
- Republicans who voted to impeach former President Trump seem to be having no trouble raising campaign funds. Second-quarter donations to the 10 House members who bucked their party after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot have them all outpacing their challengers and "flush with cash," per the
Virginia Republicans Knock Out
Congressman Backed by Trump
Jun 14, 2020 9:33 AM CDT
Virginia Republicans Knock Out Congressman Backed by Trump
Denver Riggleman, who led same-sex wedding, loses nomination to Bob Good
- Voting in a drive-through convention in a church parking lot, Virginia's Fifth District Republicans awarded their nomination to Bob Good, a challenger to Rep. Denver Riggleman. Good took 58% of the more than 2,500 votes cast, while Riggleman collected 42%, WRC reports. The incumbent, who's in his...
GOP Candidate's Diploma
Looks All Wrong: School
Aug 12, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
GOP Candidate's Diploma Looks All Wrong: School
Melissa Howard may be in hot water
- A Florida GOP candidate appears to be in trouble after producing a university diploma that doesn't look quite right, the
reports. Melissa Howard, running in the state House District 73 primary, showed reporters a bachelor's diploma from Miami University in Ohio after Florida News Online claimed she...
Fails to Get
Apr 22, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
Mitt Romney Fails to Get Utah Senate Nomination
He'll now face a primary for Orrin Hatch's seat after a contentious GOP nominating convention
- Mitt Romney did anything but cruise to the Republican nomination for Orrin Hatch's Utah Senate seat on Saturday in what CNN calls "a wild and raucous day of voting" at the state's nominating convention. Romney, among a dozen Republicans seeking Hatch's seat, was unable to secure...
Illinois GOP Primary Winner:
GOP 'Messed Up Big Time'
Mar 21, 2018 6:52 AM CDT
Illinois GOP Primary Winner: GOP 'Messed Up Big Time'
Holocaust denier Arthur Jones ran unopposed, is now Third Congressional District candidate
- "The Republican Party screwed up big time." Such is the pronouncement of Arthur Jones, who on Tuesday won a GOP primary in Illinois, becoming the party's candidate for the Third Congressional District, which encompasses part of Chicago. Except, per the
New York Times ,
the Holocaust denier won'...
Is 'Risky Bet'
Oct 30, 2015 1:42 PM CDT
Leaked Bush Document Says Rubio Is 'Risky Bet'
It also cryptically refers to some skeletons in Rubio's closet
- The Jeb Bush campaign threw some major shade at opponent Marco Rubio in a PowerPoint presentation for donors obtained by
US News & World Report
. The campaign met with donors Monday in Houston hoping to reassure them that Bush isn't as doomed as he may appear. (That perception got...
RNC Bails On
Oct 30, 2015 1:18 PM CDT
RNC Bails On NBC's Scheduled GOP Debate
Says CNBC handled this week's debate 'in bad faith'
- NBC better get its fill of Donald Trump when he hosts
Saturday Night Live
next month because it sounds like the network won't be seeing him—or any of his fellow candidates—at its GOP debate, the
reports. The Republican National Committee has suspended ties with NBC ahead...
Sep 18, 2015 2:00 PM CDT
Carly Fiorina May Solve One Big GOP Problem
Times, Post think she's helping with female voters
- Could Carly Fiorina solve Republicans' women problem? Many in the party, which has had trouble appealing to female voters, think so after the former CEO's strong performance in this week's GOP debate, the
New York Times
reports. “Many Republicans will see her, even if she’s not...
Can Ben Carson
Sep 2, 2015 1:28 PM CDT
Can Ben Carson Really Win This Thing?
Neurosurgeon tied with Trump atop Iowa poll
- The perhaps somewhat surprising current Republican darling is neurosurgeon Ben Carson, who's polling second nationally and is tied with Donald Trump at 23% in all-important Iowa, the Hill reports. No other Republican candidates are even close to those numbers, and Carson supporters believe it's not surprising at all...
GOP Primary Loser:
Winner Really a 'Lookalike'
Jun 30, 2014 4:31 PM CDT
GOP Primary Loser: Winner Really a 'Lookalike'
Tim Murray says Frank Lucas was hanged in Ukraine
- Frank Lucas only
like he won an Oklahoma congressional primary by a landslide, according to a contender who got thumped at the polls. Tim Murray says he'll contest the primary because Lucas was actually hanged in Ukraine and replaced with a body double, THV 11 reports. "It...
Meet the Guy
Who Just Beat
Jun 11, 2014 7:58 AM CDT
Meet the Guy Who Just Beat Eric Cantor
Economics professor David Brat pulls off huge upset
- Who is David Brat, the Tea Party candidate who set off a "political earthquake " by defeating House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in a GOP primary? Here's some of what's known about the political novice, as per Politico , the Huffington Post , and the
Stunner: Eric Cantor Loses
Primary to Tea Party Rival
Jun 10, 2014 7:17 PM CDT
Stunner: Eric Cantor Loses Primary to Tea Party Rival
House majority leader suffers big upset in Virginia
- The Tea Party just scored a massive upset: Economics professor David Brat defeated House majority leader Eric Cantor in a GOP primary in Virginia, reports AP . Brat had accused the No. 2 Republican in the House (and one-time Tea Party favorite) of not being conservative enough, and the message evidently...
Jul 30, 2012 8:48 AM CDT
Democrats Meddling With GOP Primaries
Attack ads go easy on less threatening hopefuls: observers
- Democrats are launching attack ads aimed at Republican Senate primary candidates—but the ads may actually be designed to get the easiest target nominated, insiders in both parties say. The apparent strategy follows Harry Reid's 2010 work in support of Republican Sharron Angle, who won her primary before losing...
May 22, 2012 8:44 PM CDT
Surprise, Surprise: Romney Wins Kentucky, Arkansas
He crosses the 1K delegates mark
- If you don't live in Kentucky or Arkansas, you're forgiven for forgetting that tonight is yet another primary night. Those two states went to the polls today, and Mitt Romney emerged victorious in both. The AP reports that he easily took Kentucky, along with all 42 of its...
Gingrich: It's Over
Apr 25, 2012 9:35 AM CDT
Gingrich: It's Over
He says he's only campaigning now 'as a citizen'
- The rollercoaster that has been the GOP presidential primary ended with a whimper today, as Newt Gingrich more-or-less dropped out and more-or-less endorsed Mitt Romney. "It's pretty clear Gov. Romney is gonna be the nominee," Gingrich said in a speech in North Carolina, according to CBS News...
Apr 5, 2012 7:57 AM CDT
Romney Grabs Lead in Pennsylvania
Meanwhile, Santorum says 'damn right' we cling to guns, religion
- Bad news for Rick Santorum: Mitt Romney has taken the lead in Santorum's own home state of Pennsylvania. Romney is at 42% support and Santorum at 37% in the latest Public Policy Poll , followed by Ron Paul with 9% and Newt Gingrich at 6%. That's a gain of...
Apr 4, 2012 7:54 AM CDT
Pundits in Unison: It's Over, It's Romney
Rick Santorum is a dead man walking at this point
- Did you hear it? The sound of the fat lady singing as Mitt Romney swept Wisconsin, Maryland, and DC last night? These pundits sure did. A round-up of the best everyone-else-is-toast declarations:
Jonathan Martin, Politico :
"It’s really, truly over. The general election effectively began this week ... [and] by
Mar 20, 2012 12:55 PM CDT
Illinois Could Finish Off Santorum
Nate Silver doesn't think the race is close
- Look at a map, and you might think the race between Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum was relatively close. It's not. Do the math, and you'll see that, barring some kind of breakthrough, Santorum hasn't got a prayer, writes Nate Silver of the
New York Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Musk Kicks Kanye West Off Twitter
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship, Claims Life of Passenger
NYC Job Will Pay Up to $170K, but It's a 'Daunting' One
Warnock Leads, Obama Mocks, but Walker Stays Close
Cops: Woman Shut Off Roomie's Ventilator Because Sound Bothered Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.