Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NFL Player's Dad Killed
When Home Explodes
Aug 23, 2023 2:50 AM CDT
NFL Player's Dad Killed When Home Explodes
Caleb Farley of the Tennessee Titans was not in his North Carolina house at the time
- The father of Tennessee Titans cornerback Caleb Farley died in an explosion that destroyed the NFL player's North Carolina home and left another person injured, authorities said Tuesday. The football player himself was not home at the time of the blast. His father, Robert M. Farley, 61, was found...
6th Person Dies in
Horrific House Explosion
Aug 17, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
6th Person Dies in Horrific House Explosion
But another, Casey Clontz, lived long enough to call his wife
- A sixth person caught up in the explosion that leveled a home in Plum, Pennsylvania, over the weekend has died. Paul Oravitz, 56, died Wednesday in a Pittsburgh hospital, where he was taken in critical condition following Saturday's blast, with burns across much of his body. His wife, Heather...
Massive Explosion at
Russian Gas Station Kills 35
Aug 15, 2023 8:47 AM CDT
Massive Explosion at Russian Gas Station Kills 35
Authorities have begun criminal investigation in Dagestan
- A massive explosion at a gas station in Russia's southern republic of Dagestan killed 35 people and injured scores more, Russian officials said Tuesday. Russia's Health Ministry said 115 people were injured in the blast and subsequent fire, and 35 of them died, including three children, per the...
House Explosion Kills 5
Aug 13, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
House Explosion Kills 5
57 firefighters suffer minor injuries after people are trapped in debris
- Five people were found dead after a house explosion in western Pennsylvania that destroyed three structures and damaged at least a dozen others, authorities said Sunday. Plum Borough Police Chief Lanny Conley said the bodies of four adults and one adolescent were recovered after the blast shortly before 10:30am...
Fatal Blasts Hit 2 Separate
Sites Housing Explosives
Jul 29, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Fatal Blasts Hit 2 Separate Sites Housing Explosives
9 are dead after explosion at Thai fireworks warehouse; 8 die in firecracker plant blast in India
- A large explosion at a fireworks warehouse in southern Thailand on Saturday killed at least nine people and wounded scores, officials said. The governor of the province of Narathiwat, Sanan Pongaksorn, told public broadcaster Thai PBS that at least 115 people were hurt, and that many were in serious condition....
2 Missing in
Jun 21, 2023 4:21 PM CDT
Dozens Injured, 2 Missing in Paris Explosion
Witnesses said they smelled gas before blast that destroyed fashion school
- A massive explosion in the center of Paris on Wednesday injured 29 people, four of them seriously, and two people are missing in the wreckage of a building that housed a private fashion school, authorities say. The cause of the blast is unknown, but some witnesses said there was a...
Cops: Man Who Tried to Kill
Rescue Workers Was Living
With Mother's Corpse
May 23, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Cops: Man Who Tried to Kill Rescue Workers Was Living With Mother's Corpse
Authorities say German man set police, firefighters on fire
- A German man accused of trying to kill emergency workers by setting them on fire had been living with his mother's corpse in a high-rise apartment packed full of canned food, bottled water, toilet paper, and other supplies, investigators say. The 57-year-old man has been charged with nine counts...
No, the Pentagon Didn't
Blow Up Monday
May 23, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
No, the Pentagon Didn't Blow Up Monday
But eerily realistic fake explosion pic, perhaps created by AI, circulated online, shook up stocks
- Most of the tweets on the OSINTdefender Twitter account , which bills itself as an "open source intelligence monitor," have focused lately on the Russian invasion of Ukraine. A post on Monday morning, however, set off alarms closer to home, after a phony image circulated on social media depicting...
Largest Explosion Ever Seen
Is an 8B-Year-Old Mystery
May 12, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
Largest Explosion Ever Seen Is an 8B-Year-Old Mystery
Outrageously bright light from distant space suggests black hole ate a big, gassy meal
- In 2020, a bright light appeared in the night sky. That light, still visible with advanced telescopes today, represents the largest explosion ever seen. You're forgiven for not noticing as this is all happening some 8 billion light years away, though that wasn't clear initially. The light was...
18K Cattle Dead After
Explosion at Texas Dairy
Apr 13, 2023 1:27 AM CDT
18K Cattle Dead After Explosion at Texas Dairy
One worker was critically injured in the blast
- A devastating explosion at a Texas dairy farm left at least 18,000 cattle dead Monday. The explosion at the Southfork Dairy Farm in Dimmitt was reported around 7:21pm, and law enforcement arrived on the scene to find one woman trapped inside the dairy building. She was taken to...
Russian Military Blogger
Dies in Cafe Explosion
Apr 2, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
Russian Military Blogger Dies in Cafe Explosion
Woman reportedly handed a box to Vladlen Tatarsky, a Ukraine invasion supporter, that blew up
- An explosion tore through a cafe in Russia's second-largest city Sunday, killing a prominent military blogger who had supported the fighting in Ukraine. Russia's Interior Ministry said more than a dozen people were wounded. Russian news reports said blogger Vladlen Tatarsky was killed and 16 people were hurt...
After Blast, She Caught on Fire.
Then, a Plunge Into Chocolate
Mar 31, 2023 2:23 PM CDT
After Blast, She Caught on Fire. Then, a Plunge Into Chocolate
'I thought it was the end for me,' says Patricia Borges, who survived Pennsylvania plant explosion
- A woman pulled alive from the rubble of a Pennsylvania chocolate factory after an explosion that killed seven co-workers says her arm caught fire as flames engulfed the building—and then she fell through the floor into a vat of liquid chocolate. The dark liquid extinguished her blazing arm, but...
One Pulled Alive From Rubble
of Chocolate Plant in Pa.
Mar 26, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
One Pulled Alive From Rubble of Chocolate Plant in Pa.
Three were killed and 4 are still missing
- After an explosion at a chocolate factory in West Reading, Pennsylvania, on Friday, some clarity has emerged on casualties: As of Sunday morning, authorities say three people were killed and four remain missing, reports the AP . However, in some good news, one person was pulled alive from the rubble overnight...
Exploding Gift From Ukraine
Injures Poland's Police Chief
Dec 18, 2022 8:01 AM CST
Exploding Gift From Ukraine Injures Poland's Police Chief
Grenade launcher was thought to have been defused
- The top police official in Poland has provided details about a weird explosion that sent him to the hospital for observation. Gen. Jaroslaw Szymczyk says he received two supposedly defused grenade launchers as a gift from Ukraine—one, for example, had been turned into a loudspeaker. At least one of...
At Least 12 Injured in
'Catastrophic' Condo Explosion
Nov 16, 2022 12:21 PM CST
At Least 12 Injured in 'Catastrophic' Condo Explosion
Fire chief says residents smelled gas before Maryland blast
- At least a dozen people were injured, two of them critically, in what a fire service spokesman says was a "catastrophic explosion" and fire at a condominium complex in Gaithersburg, Maryland, Wednesday morning. Officials say two injured adults were rushed to a trauma center with critical injuries; eight others,...
Coal Mine Blast Kills 41,
Union Calls It a 'Massacre'
Oct 15, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Coal Mine Blast Kills 41, Union Calls It a 'Massacre'
'A frightful scene' in Amasra, Turkey, after Friday explosion
- Funerals for miners killed in a coal mine explosion in northern Turkey began Saturday as officials raised the death toll to at least 41 people. Desperate relatives had waited all night in the cold outside the state-owned Turkish Hard Coal Enterprise's (TTK) mine in the town of Amasra, in...
Russia Arrests 8 in
Crimea Bridge Attack
Oct 12, 2022 6:46 AM CDT
Russia Arrests 8 in Crimea Bridge Attack
Nation's FSB says explosives came to Russia from Ukraine via Bulgaria, Georgia, Armenia
- Vladimir Putin seemed determined to find out who blew up a portion of the bridge connecting Crimea to Russia over the weekend, and on Wednesday, his FSB security service announced it had arrested eight individuals in connection with the blast. Officials say five of the arrestees were Russian, while the...
Gas Station Explosion
Kills at Least 9
Oct 8, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Gas Station Explosion Kills at Least 9
Cause of blast in Irish town of Creeslough, County Donegal, is under investigation
- The death toll from a gas station explosion that shattered a small village in northwest Ireland has risen on Saturday, as emergency workers combed through piles of rubble for people who are still missing. The AP puts the number of dead at nine (up from seven reported earlier), while other...
Damage From Blast
on Crimean Bridge
May Have 'Profound Effect'
Oct 8, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Damage From Blast on Crimean Bridge May Have 'Profound Effect'
No responsibility yet claimed, but damage may cause big roadblock on Russian supplies for war
- The only bridge connecting the Crimean Peninsula to the Russian mainland appeared to have been badly damaged Saturday after an apparent truck explosion. The
New York Times
reports the blast on the 12-mile bridge over the Kerch Strait caused a fire and the collapse of part of the bridge into...
Was a Staffer's Hoax
Oct 4, 2022 11:47 AM CDT
FBI: 'Bomb' at Northeastern Was a Staffer's Hoax
Jason Duhaime, 45, of Texas has been arrested and charged
- Reports that an explosion last month at Northeastern University may have been staged are correct, according to the FBI. NBC News reports the law enforcement agency announced Tuesday that Jason Duhaime of Texas, who claimed he'd been injured in the Sept. 13 incident, has been arrested and charged with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
When a Bear Came, Mom Knew What to Do
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.